Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I actually like the Phaeston (VIII) on my Turian Sentinel. It's light enough to keep my power recharge speed high, and it seems powerful enough with a piercing mod. Should I just stick to a Talon with scope/piercing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is the Black Widow worth using at level I? I'm assuming it's just as rare every time as the first. Just got it while trying to get an N7 Shadow or a robot but it honestly doesn't look that great compared to my Mantis VII though I've yet to use it. And upgrading some of these things just looks like a huge pain considering how much it took to get them the first time, with a lot of other things I still want to unlock.

Also got a Batarian Sentinel along with a Vorcha I will probably never use, and while I thought I would love being able to trap things in place to super punch them, it just feels extremely weak against anything with armor and barriers, despite what the description says it does to armor.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

surrender posted:

I actually like the Phaeston (VIII) on my Turian Sentinel. It's light enough to keep my power recharge speed high, and it seems powerful enough with a piercing mod. Should I just stick to a Talon with scope/piercing?
Yeah, Turian soldier can really rock a phaeston. I did a bit of testing yesterday on silver and I found the phaeston more reliable than the revenant, striker or saber. Not to say those are worse weapons (they aren't), just that Turians don't seem to be able to use them as well. The relatively light weight, large clips and high accuracy sync really well with marksman. It's a small niche but a solid one.

Personally, I'd shuffle the javelin, kishock, indra and particle rifle down 1 each and the phaeston, revenant, and disciple up 1. I'd like to see graal moved up but I admit that's more of a personal thing. Graal is top tier for me but that's because it's the loving graal. :black101:

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

KidKrampus posted:

I got a friend who is in possession of a Scorpion VI. He wants to know how to get the best use out of it. Not having it myself nor seeing many people using it, I have no clue what to tell him. I did see a Destroyer using it pretty well against Geth by spamming the poo poo out of it, but I figure he could have been doing just as much damage with a Talon or other weapon. Any suggestions?

Send him this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVFJQUfiIN0

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Is the Black Widow worth using at level I? I'm assuming it's just as rare every time as the first. Just got it while trying to get an N7 Shadow or a robot but it honestly doesn't look that great compared to my Mantis VII though I've yet to use it. And upgrading some of these things just looks like a huge pain considering how much it took to get them the first time, with a lot of other things I still want to unlock.

The high damage of the Mantis is overkill on everything but bosses. The Black Widow will serve you much better being a multi-shot sniper. Though on Bronze and Silver it really won't matter much, so you may as well go with better cooldowns since the Black Widow I is about 100 points heavier than an upgraded Mantis. When you get up to Gold though, with shield gating, you'll want the multiple shots.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I really liked your guide, SciFiDownBeat, most of the tactics you described of classes I have seemed fairly good starting places. My main disagreement is the Paladin. Making your own tech bursts is a chore and you could probably do better at it with a regular human engineer. But even on gold and even in my sucky hands the light melee is super effective if you go cryo shield.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Train Simulator 2183: a short guide to Krogan Sentinel

Sick and tired of gun platforms that collapse after a measly ravager barrage? Want to play a caster class that hits like a truck while laughing like a maniac? Short of (arguably) his cousin the krogan vanguard, noone in the game can take a hit like the KroSent.

The basics:

1000 shields, 750 health. No dodging. Vulnerable to stagger. The fitness tree is replaced with rage, which gives the normal bonuses but also a rage state which is attained after you get 3 melee kills in 30 seconds or less (2 kills with an upgrade). Rage gives bonuses to DR and melee damage, which stack wonderfully with tech armour.

Abilities:

Tech Armour: Slows down power use by 50% but massively boosts DR and melee damage. Activate as soon as the game starts and forgot about it. Can be purged, causing an AoE over the krogan which can stagger smaller enemies and do fuckall damage. You only want to purge if you're mobbed by weaker enemies or you know it's going to set off a tech burst.

Incinerate: buffed recently, still terrible. Spec out of it.

Lift Grenades: less damage than most grenades but still decent. Capable of priming and detonating biotic explosions, which is their main strength. Find a biotic friend and lend them a hand.

Recommended Weapons:

This is where the fun comes in. You're incredibly, incredibly tough and don't have cooldowns to worry about (unless you took incinerate, which you shouldn't). You want to keep rage up, which necessitates staying at close range. I'd recommend a shotgun with decent crowd-control abilities (like the reegar) and an assault rifle/sniper rifle for when you're stuck at range. Heavy as you like.

The trick:

Here's my build: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#32RAPNQB0q0EA@@B0C0L0M0

You'll notice that everything capable of being specced into durability is, except the rage evo that reduces required kills. It's important to note because rage is what changes you from being slightly tougher than the other bloke to being an unstoppable murder train. You want to be constantly picking on weaker enemies with melee, so your DR stays at a lovely 75%. You're still not completely bulletproof but it's as close as you're likely to get. C'mon goons. Pick up a Claymore, turn up the damage resistance and beat face for Tuchanka. :black101:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Elotana posted:

Here's my stab at a weapon tier list (assuming V for ultra-rares and X for everything else)

Piranha
---
claymore
talon/paladin
hurricane
---

the rest vary on a class by class basis, I'd hesitate to do a complete weapons ranking. For example the GPR is pretty solid on a geth or a turian marksman, and the black widow is poo poo if you don't have the rank 6 sniper damage bonus. Similarly the falcon is great with ammo powers, but is not very effective without them.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
What time does the operation go live?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Synonamess Botch posted:

1 hour 29 minutes. Timer at the top of this page http://social.bioware.com/user_home.php

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

KidKrampus posted:

I got a friend who is in possession of a Scorpion VI. He wants to know how to get the best use out of it. Not having it myself nor seeing many people using it, I have no clue what to tell him. I did see a Destroyer using it pretty well against Geth by spamming the poo poo out of it, but I figure he could have been doing just as much damage with a Talon or other weapon. Any suggestions?

The main reason you use the Scorpion is for the splash damage it will be at it's best when enemies are funneling through a choke point or when you find a fresh spawn clumped together.

The Scorpion is amazing with Cryo ammo because it will instantly freeze trash which keeps you safe while you wait for them to explode. Use the high caliber barrel and extended clip mods. It really shines on a class with overload because you can strip shields and then freeze enemies. I'd actually recommend the Neural Shock evolution if you intend to use the Scorpion because it helps keep trash clumped together on the floor which maximizes the splash damage.

Here's a human engineer build to try. Whenever you run into enemies just shock 'em and start sticking grenades on. If anything stands up shock 'em again.

surrender posted:

I use a Talon on my Turian Sentinel because it's awesome and from a min/max perspective that's what I'd recommend. If you like using the Phaeston and you do well using it though then stick with the Phaeston.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Synonamess Botch posted:

It's a promotion operation, so normally this wouldn't exactly the sort of thing you need to hit the ground running for. However, it does have a bit of an odd timing to it this weekend. Translating from mountain time, it'll start in about 80 minutes and last only 42 hours, halting in very early morning Sunday for the US, and about noon for the UK (assuming I did BST right). Any of you who were thinking you'd grind out some levels before promoting should hop to it, because unless you're in Asia or Australia, Sunday's pretty much off the table.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Oh good, I have several classes sitting at 20, so I'll jump on, promote, and be done. Then get some light matches in to push back up. If any PS3 folks are on, send MosquitoJones a message, because I'm so loving sick of pubbies I could puke.

Tried to get into a platinum game last night with 1 guy who was in his 300's (I'm 400-something) and a guy that was 4 thousand. Came in as a Demolisher, they were screaming at me to change classes so I switched over to AJ. Then they complained "these kids don't know what they're doing" and changed it from plat to gold. Both of them were running furies, and when we unsurprisingly failed out in the 6th round, me and the other guy who dropped in were on top and the 4k guy was at the very bottom. I wanted to send him a message about not knowing what he was doing, but it was :effort:

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!
Coming back to this game since a friend just got it. Last I played, Firebase White/Geth/Gold was the way to go for credit farming. Is this still valid after they added the new 2 objectives? If not, what's recommended now?
By the way, was Gold nerfed somehow after they introduced Platinum?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

ilikelettuce posted:

Coming back to this game since a friend just got it. Last I played, Firebase White/Geth/Gold was the way to go for credit farming. Is this still valid after they added the new 2 objectives? If not, what's recommended now?

Glacier/Cerberus/Gold is usually a good one for pick up groups. People tend to either move through the map together killing all the spawns or hold up in the center room and kill everything. Holding up in the center room with an organized group works well on Platinum apparently but I've never tried it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gold is still at about the same level as it was before. Health and damage for some faction units (most notably Geth) have been increased, but player power has greatly increased too with the addition of equipment mods and better guns. FBW/G/G is still a very popular farming destination, but MOST random Gold groups are capable of making it to extraction. People also like to farm on Glacier because it's really small and so matches tend to go faster.

nopants
May 29, 2004
This whole solo kroguarding thing is pretty easy. Geth/silver was a breeze. Only got to round six on gold, but that was due to getting stupid on a pizza delivery.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

Oh good, I have several classes sitting at 20, so I'll jump on, promote, and be done. Then get some light matches in to push back up. If any PS3 folks are on, send MosquitoJones a message, because I'm so loving sick of pubbies I could puke.

Tried to get into a platinum game last night with 1 guy who was in his 300's (I'm 400-something) and a guy that was 4 thousand. Came in as a Demolisher, they were screaming at me to change classes so I switched over to AJ. Then they complained "these kids don't know what they're doing" and changed it from plat to gold. Both of them were running furies, and when we unsurprisingly failed out in the 6th round, me and the other guy who dropped in were on top and the 4k guy was at the very bottom. I wanted to send him a message about not knowing what he was doing, but it was :effort:

I read this sort of thing all the time and it must only happen on gold/platinum or something because I've never had people gently caress out over weird things like that. I've played with randoms who were bad in very bizarre ways, but none of them got mad about anything.

I'm rank ~111 or somesuch but it would probably be a lot closer to 300-400 if I actually promoted every time I hit 20, which I've yet to do once. Guess this event gives me an excuse to do that. I have 2 respec cards so there didn't seem to be much reason to promote.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

I'm rank ~111 or somesuch but it would probably be a lot closer to 300-400 if I actually promoted every time I hit 20, which I've yet to do once. Guess this event gives me an excuse to do that. I have 2 respec cards so there didn't seem to be much reason to promote.

There isn't, especially since they dropped respec cards from rare to uncommon, but if you get your N7 in the range of 200-300 you'll be at much less risk of being kicked by jerks who think the number means anything.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ilikelettuce posted:

Glacier/Geth/Platinum is what I've been having the best luck at. You want Geth instead of Cerberus because while Cerberus is easier in the early waves, Banshees spawn around wave 4. With Geth, Banshees spawn around wave 7. Keep joining games until you find a group of biotics using equipment. The equipment used is irrelevant it's just a general indicator of player quality. A poo poo player isn't going to 'waste' his consumables because he knows he is going to lose. Avoid these people. Also use the Reegar/Pirhana if you've got it.

Hold up in the center room. The biotics chosen aren't really important, as long as there is at least one Justicar with the bubble to put outside the room, and you choose characters that have area attacks ie. they hit more than one enemy at a time. The new Vanguards or Cerberus guys can spam their powers through walls and set off biotic explosions. The other characters spamming Reave/Warp/A. Field/whatever set up the explosions. Nothing except Banshees should ever make it past that Justicar bubble if you're in sync with the team and doing everything right. Basically spam powers like crazy, and unload with a Piranha as much as possible. (I like to hold my right trigger down 100% of the time, only letting go to reload, all while spamming Reave as much as time will allow. You can shoot powers while firing a weapon with no delay.)

To take care of Banshees try to keep track of where they're coming from and hit them early and hard. You want those purple shields gone before they get to the Justicar bubble, or very shortly after. When the purple health is gone they don't teleport anymore (this is bugged, but works 90% of the time), so if you strip that away before they're in the room they get stuck outside and need to slowly walk around the corner while you're hitting them through the wall. Being outside the room also means their Warp attack just hits the wall and goes away.

There will always be a time when a Banshee gets in the room and a god drat Pyro follows it in. Kill the Pyro first, get a Justicar bubble INSIDE the room and let loose on the Banshee. Basically the bubble should always be just outside the door, unless there is a Banshee in the room, in that case pop a new bubble in the room.

I routinely beat Platinum in 20-25 minutes doing this. I'm usually the Justicar so that's why I focused on how to use her. You don't need biotics to beat Plat, but you do seem to need them to do it in the time I prefer.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 24, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Zikan posted:

Glacier/Cerberus/Gold is usually a good one for pick up groups. People tend to either move through the map together killing all the spawns or hold up in the center room and kill everything. Holding up in the center room with an organized group works well on Platinum apparently but I've never tried it.

The one time I did Platinum there, we camped out in the little room at the top of the stairs. The Demolisher dropped a pylon, and the Destroyer and Infiltrator did their things, strafining out into the doorway. I was a Fury and basically became anti-Phantom Patrol, AFielding everything on the stairs and in the room, and detonating when I had the chance.

It went really well, even when Banshees would teleport into the room. The room was small enough that they only used melee and their shockwave, which the pylon could cover for.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

EvanSchenck posted:

There isn't, especially since they dropped respec cards from rare to uncommon, but if you get your N7 in the range of 200-300 you'll be at much less risk of being kicked by jerks who think the number means anything.

On the flip side, the ones who know it doesn't mean anything are going to be on the lookout for N7 numbers that don't end in 0. I think I got kicked once for having an N7 of 539 after a respec-promote, because I didn't feel like getting my Adepts up that last level right then and was playing an Infiltrator instead. (Also I was using the one character who had a Valiant on him, which might have contributed.)

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 24, 2012

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

I read this sort of thing all the time and it must only happen on gold/platinum or something because I've never had people gently caress out over weird things like that. I've played with randoms who were bad in very bizarre ways, but none of them got mad about anything.
I've only had this happen to me once and it was on Gold, after the entire team was downed on the 6th wave by infinite Phantoms and I was the only one left trying desperately to hack the last objective, and even then it was just some french guy being somewhat sarcastic, not even offensive.
I still died (last) with double what the second guy on the leaderboard had, so it wasn't that bad.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Felinoid posted:

On the flip side, the ones who know it doesn't mean anything are going to be on the lookout for N7 numbers that don't end in 0. I think I got kicked once for having an N7 of 539 after a respec-promote, because I didn't feel like getting my Adepts up that last level right then and was playing an Infiltrator instead. (Also I was using the one character who had a Valiant on him, which might have contributed.)
Wait, what the gently caress? This is a thing?

EDIT: WHO RUN PHASETOWN. Goddamn the Slayer owns now

Elotana fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 24, 2012

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Elotana posted:

I've never heard of it either. Anyone spergy enough to go through the thought process "I know this number isn't indicative of skill level, but it does show you aren't playing with every class maxed out, so you must be an idiot" is probably someone who wouldn't be fun to play with anyway.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"I got booted, and my N7 is a prime. They must be votekicking people with prime rankings."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Yeah, I don't know either. I was just hosting a plat and 3 other guys dropped in with all their N7 levels in the double digits, so I lowered it to gold just because I got the feeling that they wouldn't know what to do. I was pretty much correct in this assessment, I also put it on FBW and they kept insisting on running out of the room in the earlier levels, forcing me to solo a lot of the waves. Long about 5 they realized I was hanging out there for a reason, but still had a terrible tendency to wander out on the back deck, causing us to get flanked. We failed out in 9.

I did kick a guy out from a plat match who was N7 level 9 or something like that, just because not only would he probably not know what he was doing, but would have lovely weapons/powers. And I've kicked people after rounds if they were objectively terrible, but that has nothing to do with rank. And if I hadn't played hundreds of rounds with my level 20 whatevers, I'd have a much higher N7 as well, but until I've unlocked every thing then having the ability to run gold or plat for cash is more useful.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Elotana posted:

It's along the thoughtlines that for someone who's sitting with their characters maxed out, you really can't tell how long they've been playing, but if the characters aren't maxed out, they might MUST be promoting every chance they get, so suddenly it's an accurate representation of their experience. :jerkbag: Having the Valiant and a ULM'd geth SMG (just because why not) on a QMI likely did not make them inclined to give me the benefit of the doubt that I'd actually been playing since release and had only recently promoted a few classes.

For clarification: I hadn't played a game with these yet, so maybe they were waiting on a friend, or it could've been wholly the loadout. I didn't really care to ask (or have much of a chance to), so I can't really know. But I've had a few times back when I was refusing to promote before my fuckup Shep, when people were talking over the voice chat to kick X other player because they were 'noobs', based solely on their N7 number being an odd number. I always refused to kick them, but they usually left anyway, probably to avoid the hostile environment.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 24, 2012

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I haven't really played this game in the last week and a half so it's nice of Bioware to give me an operation that will allow me to continue doing so but still get the Victory/Commendation pack for when I am in the mood to play again. :toot:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Elotana posted:

WHO RUN PHASETOWN. Goddamn the Slayer owns now

It always did.

Also I ran into an N7 12 today trying to host Platinum. I think being an N7 snob is okay when that happens.

VJeff posted:

I haven't really played this game in the last week and a half so it's nice of Bioware to give me an operation that will allow me to continue doing so but still get the Victory/Commendation pack for when I am in the mood to play again. :toot:

Just remember to redeem the pack next week.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
On my Shadow should I spec N7, sword mastery, or both?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lagomorphic posted:

Just remember to redeem the pack next week.

Yup, I'll remember.

So I see Biotic Charge got a big shot in the arm and the Slash moves have been brought down to "sane", are there any other particularly notable buffs or debuffs that have passed by in the past couple week?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

VJeff posted:

Not singling you out, but people talking about not feeling like playing always make me think about why I play what I do. Especially since I play all the difficulty levels for different reasons, based on whether I feel like trying and whether I care about credits at that time.

When I don't care about credits and don't feel like trying, Bronze scratches the itch for simple slaughter. When I do feel like trying but don't care about credits, Silver makes for a nice middling challenge to keep pubbies on their feet while still getting poo poo done. When I want credits but don't feel like trying, I just search for Gold and 99% of the time get thrown into geth farming. Want credits and to be engaged? Platinum, normal or farming, is always exciting enough to keep you on your toes. But then of course if there's someone in particular I'm going to be playing with I usually defer to what they want because I like all the difficulties anyway.

Anyone else want to share their thought processes on difficulty selection?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I pretty much always do gold because silver and bronze are boring as hell. I did some platinum farming for credits but as I don't really need the credits anymore I don't see the point, platinum is always farmers (boring), and even if I found randoms willing to play U/U/P I doubt most randoms on the 360 would be good enough. I did do a few silver games today to level up my promoted characters, but that only lasts a handful of games before it's gold time again.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SubponticatePoster posted:

On my Shadow should I spec N7, sword mastery, or both?

Both. You are a ninja. Max sword mastery. I took N7 to 5 because I use light guns or ultralight mods. Electric Slash got the pity points so I have something to do when Shadow Strike will put me in a crowd of Phantoms and Atlases.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

VJeff posted:

Yup, I'll remember.

So I see Biotic Charge got a big shot in the arm and the Slash moves have been brought down to "sane", are there any other particularly notable buffs or debuffs that have passed by in the past couple week?

Locust and Sticky Grenade got a damage boost and are still awful. Crusader got a damage boost and is still the Crusader. Also some tweaks to stomping behavior so it's not as instant as it used to be. That's about it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When I load multiplayer from the first menu it hangs at the loading screen and then dumps me back to the title screen. Is this a "me" problem or an "everyone" problem?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Is there somewhere one can go to report obvious cheaters?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The vanguard buffs are absolutely amazing.

I decided to take my novaguard (which used to be my favored class) out of storage to see how things had changed and OH MY GOD, the biotic pinball is back! I was tearing apart Cerberus on gold, and this is after not playing for a couple weeks and not playing novaguard for at least a month. I was outscoring the rest of my team combined and just killed the last enemy on a wave ten hack where I basically soloed wave after wave of atlasses and phantoms when..

You have lost connection... :shepicide:

I guess I should consider myself lucky... I've been playing since the game came out and this is the first really egregious disconnect I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Is there somewhere one can go to report obvious cheaters?

From Scylla Costa of Bioware:
"If you feel your experience has been affected by playing with a cheater, please send us a message at me3mpcheaters@bioware.com. Please also add the Origin ID/Gamertag/PSN ID of the supposed cheater along with the time of your match(es) with him and why you think this user has been cheating."

• Locked thread