Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Well I was gonna go out today but I tried Journey to see what it was like and ended up beating it in one sitting instead. I have no idea what happens but this is awesome. I'm not even bothered that I spent $15 on a game I beat in 2 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Well I was gonna go out today but I tried Journey to see what it was like and ended up beating it in one sitting instead. I have no idea what happens but this is awesome. I'm not even bothered that I spent $15 on a game I beat in 2 hours

Try not to be sad when you realize that you can only play the game for the first time, once.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
^^^^ This. :smith:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I know right?

Best $15 I've spent in a long time, and I think I only got like 2-3 hours out of it, whatever the standard play time is [not really deviating from the path, since I didn't want to bother the person I was playing with with my meandering]

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I really don't think I'd play it again, it was an awesome experience the first time but farming trophies would take a lot of the appeal away. I lost my last buddy on the mountain :( I think he was trying to get some trophies and I was just chirping at him to come with me and he went the wrong way to look for stuff and I followed and we got separated.

Cool game, basically think of spending $15 on a cool movie with no dialogue rather than something with a lot of replay value.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I'm really enjoying PS+, I don't even buy any games anymore. I just wait for them to become free and bam! New game! It's exposed me to a lot of stuff I never would have bothered trying either.

I'm really enjoying Outland right now for example and I hadn't even heard of it prior to it showing up. It's Metroidvania with some neat ( to me ) dark/light mechanics and I really like the art style.

I can't help but feel like something is lacking in it, though I can't put my finger on what. I think it might be that I don't really feel involved in the story because it's so generic, I mean they don't even give you a name, or a back-story or anything. But for free, the price is certainly right and I'm having a lot of fun playing it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The story didn't really matter to me in Outland, it was purely the awesome platforming combined with the interesting light/dark mechanic. The combat was a little eh though.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Cbouncerrun posted:

The story didn't really matter to me in Outland, it was purely the awesome platforming combined with the interesting light/dark mechanic. The combat was a little eh though.
It seemed like they had two great systems - zoomed-out flow platforming and tight zoomed-in high impact melee - with no real way to combine the two. They balanced more toward platforming than combat, which was the right call.

... kind of a pity, though, because the fighting did have a good feel to it. Just, it needed different, less zippy player physics and some more depth.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Just messing around with Retrograde, which by chance is free for Plus members, and it's loving awesome.

It's a great take on the rhythm genre, and the music is just awesome.

You play the game in reverse, and when you finish you can let the level sit playing it the right way, all the music is reversed and your actions recorded and played forwards (reverse reverse?)

Oh and that you can play the game with your loving guitar hero controller.

I love that you as your playing it in reverse the last boss is first up and then you see the credits straight away

Spoilered for the first thing that you do, it's not a plot giveaway, but it's just something funny that everyone needs to experience themselves.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 24, 2012

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Have PS2 Classics ever been discounted on for Plus members in the past? I'd kinda like to get Shinobi and Gungrave: Overdose, but that seems high for games I already own (and that I'm reasonably sure I paid like $1 for in the first place).

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

The biggest reason you'd want to get the classics is to replace your aging disks. I know my copies of TM:B and War of the Monsters are really banged up and don't run sometimes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of PS2 classics: Psychonauts is coming to PSN this month. Sure the PS2 version is the worst version (seeing as it was a quickie port job after MS decided to not publish the game) but nothing wrong with more options to buy Psychonauts.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Liar Lyre posted:

The biggest reason you'd want to get the classics is to replace your aging disks. I know my copies of TM:B and War of the Monsters are really banged up and don't run sometimes.

Yeah, I don't have an actual PS2 anymore. They're super cheap though, and at $9.99 apiece it wouldn't take very many before I could have just bought a new PS2.

Edit: The main thing I hope is that we see the rest of the Shin Megami Tensei games show up. I'd have no problem paying $10 for those.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 24, 2012

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

axleblaze posted:

Speaking of PS2 classics: Psychonauts is coming to PSN this month. Sure the PS2 version is the worst version (seeing as it was a quickie port job after MS decided to not publish the game) but nothing wrong with more options to buy Psychonauts.

What was wrong with the PS2 port?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

What was wrong with the PS2 port?

The textures were awful and I think it had some pretty bad loading times.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is the HD version not on PSN?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I said come in! posted:

Is the HD version not on PSN?

Are you confusing BG&E with Psychonauts?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

zenintrude posted:

Are you confusing BG&E with Psychonauts?

I guess so, but just about every game from last gen has a HD version now, i'm surprised there isn't one yet.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
So, is Counterstrike: Global Offensive or whatever some sort of free Plus special or something? My PS3 downloaded it without me knowing, but not the DUST 514 beta, so I'm really confused.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure it's just a 60 minute trial.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

SpacePig posted:

So, is Counterstrike: Global Offensive or whatever some sort of free Plus special or something? My PS3 downloaded it without me knowing, but not the DUST 514 beta, so I'm really confused.

Just the trial like Jjaarreett said, and it's 1 hour from when you first start it not "five minutes here, ten minutes there." I liked it, but they let you use keyboard + mouse so anyone using just the PS3 controller is at a severe disadvantage.

EDIT

To expand a little: The game is fast paced and fun, basically how I remembered it from the Beta-> 1.6 days but newer and shinier. The maps on the loading screen really help and the weapon buying is quick and intuitive after a few rounds. Every single game that I played, though, at least one person was using kb+m and just totally destroyed everyone else. It was like they were flying and we were swimming in syrup.

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 24, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SpacePig posted:

Just came to post this. Too bad its just the demo.

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play
Do PS2 games look considerably better on a backwards compatible PS3 when compared to a regular PS2? I'm trying to decide whether I should get this 80gb PS3 fixed which would run me about 130 bucks or just getting a PS2 for like 50.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Man-In-Madden posted:

Do PS2 games look considerably better on a backwards compatible PS3 when compared to a regular PS2? I'm trying to decide whether I should get this 80gb PS3 fixed which would run me about 130 bucks or just getting a PS2 for like 50.
No, I think they look worse. The PS3 fucks slightly with their aspect ratio, making them taller and narrower. It was imperceptible at first but slowly got to me until that's all I could see and I ended up selling my BC PS3 (at a very nice price), and buying a newer PS3 and a used PS2.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 25, 2012

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Insomniac Games is taking signups for the beta of Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault right now over here. I think it's PS3 version only.

Spelunker HD is going to get the championship level packs starting next week. They're so hard, you start off with 50 lives instead of 5. :unsmigghh: The game and packs will also be half off for PS+ members.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just from playing the first 3 levels I can tell Soundshapes is amazing. Only thing I'm worried about though, how long is it? First album only has 4 levels and there are only 5 albums...

Well I guess there are also community-made levels to play.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
^^^ I've not played it but the most common complaint I've read is that it is extremely short.

I demolished the single-player levels in Spelunker HD quite awhile back. :smug:

At some point Hal Incandenza and I were supposed to attack the co-op levels but that never happened for some reason. I don't remember exactly whose fault it was, so I blame Hal. :argh:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Man-In-Madden posted:

I don't know about the PS2 games, but if that PS3 has 4 USB ports and a mini-SD card slot then you better fix it right now and never ever let it go.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, I think they look worse. The PS3 fucks slightly with their aspect ratio, making them taller and narrower. It was imperceptible at first but slowly got to me until that's all I could see and I ended up selling my BC PS3 (at a very nice price), and buying a newer PS3 and a used PS2.

It's worth noting that I don't think this happens with downloaded PS2 Classics, but I could definitely be wrong.

OtherCubed
Nov 12, 2008

:ese::saddowns:
If anyone has Sleeping Dogs, add me so I can not just drive safely to beat my own time! My PSN is OtherCubed

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So the stuff we get in the Ratchet and clank beta is just a mode in a full Ratchet and Clank game right? Like, is the regular game still a normal Ratchet&Clank?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

titties posted:

I don't know about the PS2 games, but if that PS3 has 4 USB ports and a mini-SD card slot then you better fix it right now and never ever let it go.

I've got a 60GB that needs a new power supply. I actually like my slim better. What reason is there to hold onto a launch PS3 when all the good games are pretty much available digitally? I mean, besides the fact that it looks shiny...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RichterIX posted:

It's worth noting that I don't think this happens with downloaded PS2 Classics, but I could definitely be wrong.
It doesn't, I was watching very carefully.

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Just know you did it all except lift weights
What time do new releases get put up on PSN? I haven't bought one in forever and I really cannot remember.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Good Will Punting posted:

What time do new releases get put up on PSN? I haven't bought one in forever and I really cannot remember.
Usually any time after 2PM EST on Tuesdays.

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls

Harlock posted:

Usually any time after 2PM EST on Tuesdays.

Many thanks! Looking forward to some THPS HD this week. Hopefully a lot of Goons will be playing. I'll post my tag when I log in and remember it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

second-hand smegma posted:

I've got a 60GB that needs a new power supply. I actually like my slim better. What reason is there to hold onto a launch PS3 when all the good games are pretty much available digitally? I mean, besides the fact that it looks shiny...

I'm pretty sure the used ones sell for a lot and the price is still going up.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Good Will Punting posted:

Many thanks! Looking forward to some THPS HD this week. Hopefully a lot of Goons will be playing. I'll post my tag when I log in and remember it.

Have you read the impressions from the 360 release? They weren't good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

the truth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQXBtZDnh4
Giantbomb.com Quick Look of the 360 version showing all the stages.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

second-hand smegma posted:

Things may have changed in the last couple of years, but when my launch 60 gig bricked the 60 was the most sought-after model and went for a nice price. I miss the extra usb ports and storage options that mine had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls

the truth posted:

Most of the complaints I've read were petty bullshit from bad writers, and I take video game criticism with a grain of salt anyway. This series is one of my favorites and even if it isn't perfect I'm still gonna enjoy the hell out of it.

• Locked thread