Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

az jan jananam posted:

I'm looking for an app that can trace my bike route over gps and then export a map to an image file. Anything like that or do I have to take a screen shot?

Google My Tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I think you'll be stuck taking a screen shot, from either you computer or from the phone itself.

They let you export to image? Hmm.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rooster Brooster posted:

If you get home at the same time every day, some BIOSes have settings to auto-wake on a schedule.

Past that, the only other thing I can think of is enabling wake-on-lan and setting your phone up with a VPN connection to your home box to "ping" the home machine awake.

Hrm, I'm thinking I'll look into the wake on lan thing, because I get home at different times of day.

Sanchless
Apr 23, 2006

Safe inside a safe.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there an app that lets me wake my computer up out of sleep before I get home?

Or something along those lines?

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=wake+on+lan&c=apps

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Looks like this can only do an export of map data unless I'm not seeing it. Doesn't really matter, I'll do a screenshot on the computer

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is NFC really that bad? Is it bad security-wise or is it just a hassle for cashiers and banks and whatnot?

They won't be any worse for cashiers than credit cards are, you tap instead of swiping. Similarly, banks won't have to do much more than they do with credit cards since the POS terminal will abstract it to the same thing anyway.

As for security, they're all loving terrible. Without exception.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

az jan jananam posted:

I'm looking for an app that can trace my bike route over gps and then export a map to an image file. Anything like that or do I have to take a screen shot?

MyTracks

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
So I tried to put ICS on my phone today and it just shat itself. None of the ROMs I tried were at all functional (one couldn't write to the internal memory, one kept dropping my data connection every few seconds and the third one just kept popping up an error message every time I tried to do anything -- I couldn't even set my clock).

So I gave up on ICS and put GB back on my phone and I'm trying really hard to get used to ADW Launcher because GoLauncher was spammy as gently caress but I'm just about ready to reinstall Go because this is very clunky and doesn't have the features I like. I tried a couple others and they were ugly as sin and/or didn't have the features I wanted either.

Are there ANY launchers for GB that are not complete poo poo?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Midjack posted:

They won't be any worse for cashiers than credit cards are, you tap instead of swiping. Similarly, banks won't have to do much more than they do with credit cards since the POS terminal will abstract it to the same thing anyway.

As for security, they're all loving terrible. Without exception.

Ok so you've said they're exactly like debit/credit cards and both have terrible security. Back to the original question, why is NFC so specifically terrible?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been trying out GoodNews for podcasts, and for most of mine it works great. However, Science Friday somehow gets "updated" on Thursdays, so when Friday comes around and the actual show is out, there's nothing to download. Is there a way to fix this on my end?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I've been trying out GoodNews for podcasts, and for most of mine it works great. However, Science Friday somehow gets "updated" on Thursdays, so when Friday comes around and the actual show is out, there's nothing to download. Is there a way to fix this on my end?

Does it should up in Google Reader on the site? If it's there it should be in GoodNews. I've never caught a podcast available but not downloaded and I've been trying.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Is there another launcher, Gingerbread-compatible, that could import my homescreen layout from Go Launcher? Barring that, just a good launcher to use would be nice. I used to use LauncherPro and loved it, but that's not been updated in forever and isn't always stable.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

I always loved ADW Ex as my GB launcher. No idea if it can import another launcher's home screen layout. I don't know of any launcher that can do that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Ok so you've said they're exactly like debit/credit cards and both have terrible security. Back to the original question, why is NFC so specifically terrible?

I said as far as the bank and cashier are concerned there's no difference. Securitywise a magstripe doesn't have much going for it but you have to get intimate contact with the stripe or read the number off the front.

That RFID tags can be read remotely is kind of the whole point, but to make it 99.999% reliable the signal is strong enough to be read from pretty far away. Combined with terrible crypto, end to end, and the long term goal of loading EVERYTHING onto your phone, credit cards, house keys, employee ID, etc., you are headed for a world of hurt if you use these things for security applications beyond access control in a building that has redundant security layers.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Does it should up in Google Reader on the site? If it's there it should be in GoodNews. I've never caught a podcast available but not downloaded and I've been trying.

They show up as read, but I can't figure out how to mark them unread, since I haven't used the site in forever. I just tried marking them unread in my desktop reader, but that didn't seem to transfer over to the Reader site.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Boywunda posted:

I always loved ADW Ex as my GB launcher. No idea if it can import another launcher's home screen layout. I don't know of any launcher that can do that.

Go Launcher was able to import from LauncherPro, that's why I switched to it initially once LauncherPro had been left derelict for like 4 months.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I was using ChargeBar for a nice customizable miui style battery bar, but they started having loving push ads, anyone know of something similar?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Elliotw2 posted:

I was using ChargeBar for a nice customizable miui style battery bar, but they started having loving push ads, anyone know of something similar?

I tried to warn everybody! Right now I'm using the last good version and dealing with the update notification that will never go away in the Play Store. It's a dick move on the part of the developers, since they said in the update it's the last version they're going to release.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Midjack posted:

I said as far as the bank and cashier are concerned there's no difference. Securitywise a magstripe doesn't have much going for it but you have to get intimate contact with the stripe or read the number off the front.

That RFID tags can be read remotely is kind of the whole point, but to make it 99.999% reliable the signal is strong enough to be read from pretty far away. Combined with terrible crypto, end to end, and the long term goal of loading EVERYTHING onto your phone, credit cards, house keys, employee ID, etc., you are headed for a world of hurt if you use these things for security applications beyond access control in a building that has redundant security layers.

I wouldn't exactly say that the signal is that strong. When I used it I had to get the phone within 2-3 inches before it picked it up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

I wouldn't exactly say that the signal is that strong. When I used it I had to get the phone within 2-3 inches before it picked it up.

That's what it's supposed to be, but it can be read from much farther away when you use readers that aren't garbage.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Install Gentoo posted:

Is there another launcher, Gingerbread-compatible, that could import my homescreen layout from Go Launcher? Barring that, just a good launcher to use would be nice. I used to use LauncherPro and loved it, but that's not been updated in forever and isn't always stable.

I'm looking for one too but it seems GoLauncher is the best one out there. :(

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Well I barely use most of Go Launcher's features in the first place. I just need something that makes it easy to arrange icons and basic widgets.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

Combined with terrible crypto, end to end

Some more explanation here would be nice. Without the screen on (to turn on the NFC antenna) and the PIN entered (to unlock the Secure Element), for Google Wallet, nothing can be read off of the device.

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 25, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Evil Robot posted:

Some more explanation here would be nice. Without the screen on (to turn on the NFC antenna) and the PIN entered (to unlock the Secure Element), for Google Wallet, nothing can be read off of the device.

I have actually been able to turn the NFC antenna on with the screen off before while initiation Wallet payments on my Nexus S 4G.

The phone will make a unique chime and I'll have to enter my PIN, but it does turn the antenna on.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I have actually been able to turn the NFC antenna on with the screen off before while initiation Wallet payments on my Nexus S 4G.

The phone will make a unique chime and I'll have to enter my PIN, but it does turn the antenna on.

I've tried this on both a Nexus S (T-Mobile) and Galaxy Nexus (also T-Mobile) and never had it work. It doesn't work for other NFC things either (like NFC tags). This is all completely stock GB/ICS/JB. XDA apparently has some hacks to make NFC work with the screen off if you're rooted.

EDIT: Just tried Android Beam between a Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus. No luck with the screen off.

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 25, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Evil Robot posted:

I've tried this on both a Nexus S (T-Mobile) and Galaxy Nexus (also T-Mobile) and never had it work. It doesn't work for other NFC things either (like NFC tags). This is all completely stock GB/ICS/JB. XDA apparently has some hacks to make NFC work with the screen off if you're rooted.

EDIT: Just tried Android Beam between a Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus. No luck with the screen off.

It's only worked for me during trying to initiate an NFC payment, otherwise it's never worked.

All it does is open up Wallet and request a PIN.

I'm running stock ICS myself so I don't know why it's doing that. I've just noticed that I can start Wallet just by touching the phone to the NFC section on the credit card swiper thing even if the screen's off.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

rotaryfun posted:

So what's the difference from a stalled progress bar and the words just saying sending? You wouldn't get any more information from a progress bar.

At least with a progress bar you have a percentage sent, etc. If it's just saying "sending", you have no idea if it's actually sending really slowly, half sent and stalled, or not doing a goddamn thing. You know, some information about the progress of the MMS.

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 25, 2012

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Evil Robot posted:

I'm not going to discuss my research, sorry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Ok so you've said they're exactly like debit/credit cards and both have terrible security.
Magstripe cards have virtually no security. Ironically, that's actually a good thing in some ways because everyone knows they're insecure and recognize stolen credentials/fabricated cards as a reality, and victims in those scams are actually believed instead of being threatened with fraud charges.

(Incidentally my wife's debit card was recently compromised when someone across the country used a fabricated card with her debit credentials for a mini-shopping spree and BK run. Thankfully, the bank's fraud team was totally on top of that.)

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Back to the original question, why is NFC so specifically terrible?
I'm not totally up-to-date on developments in the NFC hacking world, but there's a great video on the vulnerabilities of its payment predecessor, Chip and Pin.

Chip and Pin is virtually unheard of in North America, but (I understand) is a pretty wide-spread smartcard-based payment system used for credit cards in Europe and elsewhere. The short of it is that the system is massively overspecified and overly complex, leading to implementation vulnerabilities that result in folks's payment credentials being compromised. That alone is, perhaps, is unsurprising, but the bigger issue (which the aforementioned video goes into some detail on) is that Chip and Pin was billed as an unhackable perfectly-secure system, and so anyone filing claims of fraudulent Chip and Pin charges were presumed themselves to be scammers with little recourse.

As I understand, NFC is essentially the wireless equivalent of Chip and Pin except the specification documents aren't publicly available. Go security though obscurity.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 25, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Midjack posted:

Then don't bait posts with :argh: not expecting people asking you to elaborate.

Now this is what people were asking for.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Midjack posted:

:goonsay:

If NFC were so insecure credit card companies wouldn't be using it. Mastercard's been using it for over a decade now. The MBTA in Boston (and I think public transportation in NYC as well) uses it for fare transactions, etc. My future mother-in-law's pharmaceutical company uses it to swipe into the building. These are companies that are very, very concerned with security. They wouldn't use it if they didn't think they could trust it.

Right now the biggest security risk is losing your phone that has all the NFC data on it... and that's the same risk involved with keeping swipe cards, etc in a wallet.

If you can't prove what you're saying then I'm gonna assume you're just being alarmist for the sake of being alarmist.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm not totally up-to-date on developments in the NFC hacking world, but there's a great video on the vulnerabilities of its payment predecessor, Chip and Pin.

Chip and Pin is virtually unheard of in North America, but (I understand) is a pretty wide-spread smartcard-based payment system used for credit cards in Europe and elsewhere. The short of it is that the system is massively overspecified and overly complex, leading to implementation vulnerabilities that result in folks's payment credentials being compromised. That alone is, perhaps, is unsurprising, but the bigger issue (which the aforementioned video goes into some detail on) is that Chip and Pin was billed as an unhackable perfectly-secure system, and so anyone filing claims of fraudulent Chip and Pin charges were presumed themselves to be scammers with little recourse.

As I understand, NFC is essentially the wireless equivalent of Chip and Pin except the specification documents aren't publicly available. Go security though obscurity.

This, however, is a valid concern - If NFC is compromised, will the aforementioned companies admit to it and make amends? I'd like to think so, but...

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 26, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
NFC is fantastic for small purchases like a bus fare.

I use it as a prepaid cash equivalent - that way if the card is lost/compromised it only has as much credit as I'd loaded anyway so its basically the same as losing the cash in my wallet.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Have it your way.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Midjack posted:

Have it your way.

You know, one day, once society has collapsed due to NFC insecurity, we're all gonna look back and whisper to ourselves "Midjack warned us."

"Midjack warned us."

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Midjack posted:

Have it your way.

Your smug "I warned you" attitude is pretty rich when you refuse to answer the question of what exactly the potential problems with NFC are.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

lelandjs posted:

If NFC were so insecure credit card companies wouldn't be using it.
It doesn't have to be secure. It just has to be more secure than magstripe.

lelandjs posted:

The MBTA in Boston (and I think public transportation in NYC as well) uses it for fare transactions, etc.
Speaking of public transportation, here's another talk titled: Reverse Engineering a real-world RFID payment system. Now, it's not quite NFC, but it's an RFID technology used heavily in Taiwan and not only is completely broken, but it's so trivially broken that this one guy was able to hack the poo poo out of it and ride the subway wherever the hell he wanted for free.

lelandjs posted:

These are companies that are very, very concerned with security. They wouldn't use it if they didn't think they could trust it.
Here's the problem. The people in these scenarios who are concerned with security are usually clients who don't know how to properly evaluate the security of propreitary systems that "security" firms are selling them. Combine that with lowest bidder contracts, and you get poo poo like the Onity hotel door lock hack.

Again, I'm not a security researcher and I don't know of any specific vulnerabilities in NFC at this time. But I do have an interest in security talks because it's mind-bogging how bad these systems have been historically and how easily they've been cracked. Now that NFC is becoming more popular and a more high-profile target, I'd be surprised if we didn't see something interesting about them at this year's CCC or next year's DEFCON.

lelandjs posted:

If you can't prove what you're saying then I'm gonna assume you're just being alarmist for the sake of being alarmist.
Midjack might be working on something legitimate, but he's definitely playing coy. If he is actively researching an NFC vulnerability then he absolutely should follow responsible disclosure procedures and not reveal any details here. (And probably not mention that he even knows something.)

But he could still point out exploits in past systems to illustrate the troubling trend that industry witnesses.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Midjack posted:

:hugestrolleyesontheinternetforreasonsalreadydiscussed:

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Midjack posted:

Have it your way.

I'm on my way to Burger King.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Midjack might be working on something legitimate, but he's definitely playing coy. If he is actively researching an NFC vulnerability then he absolutely should follow responsible disclosure procedures and not reveal any details here. (And probably not mention that he even knows something.)

The rest of the points you make are valid (and are the exact sort of thing that mindjack should have posted) but what I quoted here is exactly why I called him out in the first place. Real security investigators-be they white or black hatted-know not to spout off about their work until after the fact.

But this is the Android app thread and I've been a part of this derail for too long. And I actually have an app question, too!

My Galaxy Nexus has been having issues sending text messages unless it's been rebooted in the past 24 hours. Is there an app (that isn't Tasker) that can automate, say, a 2AM reboot everyday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lelandjs posted:

My Galaxy Nexus has been having issues sending text messages unless it's been rebooted in the past 24 hours. Is there an app (that isn't Tasker) that can automate, say, a 2AM reboot everyday?

The app is called exchanging your broken phone. Why put up with this?

• Locked thread