Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Liquid Penguins posted:

Single digit framerates were common. It's much more doable this time.

Jesus, between the heights and the swamp how did anyone complete this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone be up for some Jolly Cooperation in about an hour? Heading home from work, and want to coop my way through the Depths/Dragon/Blighttown if possible.

I'm around SL24/26, and a member of WotW, so shouldn't be to hard to join me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Al! posted:

Well, you can skip 90% of blighttown if you want. I always skip it initially and then come back to it later when I am ridiculously overleveled.

If you haven't been to the giant's crypt yet you ain't seen nothing yet.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Al! posted:

Dark Souls is a game for men.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Al! posted:

The game is designed to make you nervous. I am not kidding when I say learning to cope with Dark Souls helped me learn to deal with an anxiety disorder without medication.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

doomfunk posted:

The game is designed to make you nervous. I am not kidding when I say learning to cope with Dark Souls helped me learn to deal with an anxiety disorder without medication.

This rules. One day From Software will be an esteemed serious games developer and anxiety patients everywhere will be prescribed a daily schedule of :darksouls:

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Is there any reason for not farming a certain area? I'm still in the main section of the undead burg and am level 15 or 16. I should probably push on to a new area but I'm a gigantic wuss.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
There's not a great reason to not push on unless you're trying to get souls for a specific reason (raising str/dex to equip a weapon or buy something). At least early game wise, if you just wander around and explore thoroughly, your experiences with Dark Souls being Dark Souls isn't going to be really less severe because you're a few levels higher.

The awesome equipment you find is usually better than grinding for another level.

It's really not that bad.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Prefect Six posted:

Is there any reason for not farming a certain area? I'm still in the main section of the undead burg and am level 15 or 16. I should probably push on to a new area but I'm a gigantic wuss.
The way I see it is, level yourself up so that you can effectively use some weapon you like, don't just level up because you feel like it. If you don't know what to use all your souls on, learn magic and upgrade equipment with it first.

One thing is clear though, don't walk around with six billion souls on you, invest them in something.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you haven't been to the giant's crypt yet you ain't seen nothing yet.
And when you get there you won't see anything anyway.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Prefect Six posted:

Farming isn't terribly efficient there. Plus, you usually don't want to get your SL too out of range for the area, or you'll have a tough time finding summons.

Speaking of summons, I am having a drat hard time summoning/getting summoned. Summon signs constantly fade in and out for me, and fail 3/4 of the time. I feel like I have to rush to any sign I see and hope I can try it before it vanishes.

Haven't had good luck getting summoned either. I made a new character, specifically for sunbroing, and have had very little luck. Currently SL 30, and looking for love. Tried sitting around the iron golem, the capra demon, and the depths for a while. Nothing.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

AxeManiac posted:

So, I loaded this up and tried playing through the intro area, it looks like Tomb Raider 1. This game is loving ugly and awkward. How long does it take to get to the cool stuff? I'm just walking around smacking skeletons and traversing white light.

The voice acting is horrible too, is it tongue in cheek? Is it supposed to be corny?

Dude... the voice acting owns.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Rookersh posted:

Anyone be up for some Jolly Cooperation in about an hour? Heading home from work, and want to coop my way through the Depths/Dragon/Blighttown if possible.

I'm around SL24/26, and a member of WotW, so shouldn't be to hard to join me.

Sure, I'll have my sign (FriarRJohn) at the Depths bonfire.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

Farming isn't terribly efficient there. Plus, you usually don't want to get your SL too out of range for the area, or you'll have a tough time finding summons.

Farming is a good idea for upgrading gear though. A few runs through the Parish can net you enough souls to pimp most of your gear.

voltron lion force posted:

Don't go dying now. Neh heh heh heh heh!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

voltron lion force posted:

Performed by an English radio drama group.

The voice acting is actually pretty great, but the writing is kind of doofy at times since the developers wrote it. In English. As far as I know, without speaking English.

Thankfully it's not at all Engrishy, it just feels like they heavily abused a thesaurus for it.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

The way I see it is, level yourself up so that you can effectively use some weapon you like, don't just level up because you feel like it. If you don't know what to use all your souls on, learn magic and upgrade equipment with it first.

One thing is clear though, don't walk around with six billion souls on you, invest them in something.

The only weapons I've found are short swords and I've just been using the long sword I got intitially (picked Warrior for my class). I've just been dumping points into Vit->End->Str. Not walking around with a bunch of souls or anything. Should I be putting points into magic as a warrior?

Can you sell equipment? Should I be holding on to this junk I've found?

Is there any point in spending humanity to un-hollow yourself? Is it just an aesthetic thing? I've got 8 humanity that I don't really know what to do with. I feel like kindling a bonfire this early would be kind of pointless since I'm sure there's another around the corner. I figure holding onto it for the better item discovery is the thing to do right now.

Filthy Monkey posted:

I don't have the first clue what all that entails (probably because I haven't pushed through more content).

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Performed by an English radio drama group.

The voice acting is actually pretty great, but the writing is kind of doofy at times since the developers wrote it. In English. As far as I know, without speaking English.

Thankfully it's not at all Engrishy, it just feels like they heavily abused a thesaurus for it.

Most of the voice actors felt pretty unremarkable to me, with a few exceptions(Laurentius and Patches forever). Then again, most characters only have a few lines to work with. The corny dialogue writing works sometimes, I think. I don't know if Solaire is supposed to come off as a loveable dork, but that's what happened.

Anyway, I was worried about my Cleric run, but it seems that I built a viable character after all. My Divine Reinforced Club does awesome damage, I love using Miracles, and the Silver Knight shield is a godsend. I am having so much fun, and I haven't even gotten to the new content.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Being un-hollow lets you do multiplayer stuff. That's why your SL matters, because if it's way too much higher or lower than other players around that point in the game you'll have a harder time finding people to help you. Also, you will reuse bonfires a lot. Think of this game like Super Metroid or something, everything is interconnected and loops back in on itself.

You can't sell your poo poo that I know of.

I'm kind of nervous right now because I found a bonfire in the depths, have a ton of souls on me, and don't want to fight my way back through all those slime things, so I need to keep pressing forward and hope I find a good shortcut back home :ohdear:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And when you get there you won't see anything anyway.

A sharper image goes a long way to making that place less of an unfun shithole.

That and a weapon that can one-shot everything.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Prefect Six posted:

The only weapons I've found are short swords and I've just been using the long sword I got intitially (picked Warrior for my class). I've just been dumping points into Vit->End->Str. Not walking around with a bunch of souls or anything. Should I be putting points into magic as a warrior?

Can you sell equipment? Should I be holding on to this junk I've found?

Is there any point in spending humanity to un-hollow yourself? Is it just an aesthetic thing? I've got 8 humanity that I don't really know what to do with. I feel like kindling a bonfire this early would be kind of pointless since I'm sure there's another around the corner. I figure holding onto it for the better item discovery is the thing to do right now.

I don't have the first clue what all that entails (probably because I haven't pushed through more content).
Yeah, sounds like you're doing things more or less right, but eventually you'll get a weapon you're excited to use but find out you don't have the stats, then it's time to level up to get those stats.

Later on you'll be able to sell things for souls, but it's rarely worth it. And kindling bonfires is a pretty good use of your humanity I think, since they stay kindled even into NG+.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Prefect Six posted:

Is there any point in spending humanity to un-hollow yourself?
Yes, if you want to kindle bonfires (so they give more flasks), to summon people (to make bosses easier), or to get invaded (because you don't think the game is hard enough).

And yeah, kindle bonfires. Some aren't worth it, most are. Humanity isn't finite either.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Let's rock. :zombie:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
And then a Giant slaughtered him.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

How much strength do I need to two hand a weapon that requires 50 STR? Would it be worth it to level STR to 50 to use a weapon like that one handed?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nahxela posted:

Dark Souls is a game for men.

*that like to whip their dicks out and compare who's is bigger and who can hit their dick with a hammer the most times without crying.

:smuggo:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Evil Eagle posted:

How much strength do I need to two hand a weapon that requires 50 STR? Would it be worth it to level STR to 50 to use a weapon like that one handed?
38, I guess? I dunno if it rounds up or down.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
One word can describe Sen's Fortress

BOULDERS :gonk:

What's a good level for this place?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

GreenBuckanneer posted:

*that like to whip their dicks out and compare who's is bigger and who can hit their dick with a hammer the most times without crying.

:smuggo:

This was the intention when the game was developed. The producer of the game has gone on record calling himself a masochist.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh my dear god gently caress Sen's Fortress.

I don't know about going here now... Maybe I should like go do catacombs or something that isn't so filled with neverending traps and lizard dudes in narrow hallways that make it nigh-impossible to dodge.

I even tried unhollowing to see if there was someone around who could walk me through it, but I had no idea where anyone would place signs, didn't see any anyways, and died without being able to do anything.

Now I'm just placing my own summon every time I can, and replacing it when I get to a different chunk that deletes my old one. I figure eventually I'm bound to get summoned and then at least me and some other guy can be miserable together. I wonder if level 45 is too high to see any friendly summons...

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Hey guys my brother is having trouble running this dumb game on his PC, even though he has the proper specs for it. The frame rate basically makes it unplayable. Drivers updated, HDDs defragged, he tried the Pre-rendered frames bit since he has an Nvidia Card

Here are his stats

Windows 7-64bit
16gb ram

GeForce GTX 460 1gb
767mb gddr5

AMD Athlon IIx4 640 Processor 3.00GHz
Bio Star AMD Socket AM2+ TA785G3 HD

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

One word can describe Sen's Fortress

BOULDERS :gonk:

What's a good level for this place?

I think I was around level 35ish the first time through. About halfway in, you'll find something that makes the rest a LOT easier lightning spear, which does around twice the damage of the Drake sword and obliterates the damage of anything else you probably have at that point, plus you can stab from behind your shield

Can someone spoiler the consequences of a decision in the DLC for me? What happens if you give/don't give Soul of Artorias to the chick praying over his corpse after you kill him? I don't know what to do :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh my dear god gently caress Sen's Fortress.

I don't know about going here now... Maybe I should like go do catacombs or something that isn't so filled with neverending traps and lizard dudes in narrow hallways that make it nigh-impossible to dodge.

I even tried unhollowing to see if there was someone around who could walk me through it, but I had no idea where anyone would place signs, didn't see any anyways, and died without being able to do anything.

Now I'm just placing my own summon every time I can, and replacing it when I get to a different chunk that deletes my old one. I figure eventually I'm bound to get summoned and then at least me and some other guy can be miserable together. I wonder if level 45 is too high to see any friendly summons...
Haha, I don't think you'd regard the catacombs as an improvement over the fortress if you got very far into it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Arujei posted:

Sure, I'll have my sign (FriarRJohn) at the Depths bonfire.

Haven't unlocked Depths Bonfire yet, but on my way down again, now that I think I know where the key to unlock the door is, shouldn't take me to long.

Unless those Butchers respawn. :mad:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

neverending traps and lizard dudes in narrow hallways that make it nigh-impossible to dodge.
Try combining those elements.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

Can someone spoiler the consequences of a decision in the DLC for me? What happens if you give/don't give Soul of Artorias to the chick praying over his corpse after you kill him? I don't know what to do :(
She gives you two dex weapons if you give her the soul. You can also kill her for her armor.

Supposedly she drops the weapons if you kill her without giving her the soul too. Haven't tested it personally, but it is probably true.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So my second character is level 17 and about to go kill the gargoyles. I'll be white-phantoming there for a while afterwards, so if you're needing help, look for my sign!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rookersh posted:

Haven't unlocked Depths Bonfire yet, but on my way down again, now that I think I know where the key to unlock the door is, shouldn't take me to long.

Tried backstabbing them?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rookersh posted:

They don't.

edit: non-respawning enemies explode and don't leave a body behind, that's how you know.

edit: or is that violated somewhere? I can't think of any examples right now.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 25, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Filthy Monkey posted:

She gives you two dex weapons if you give her the soul. You can also kill her for her armor.

Supposedly she drops the weapons if you kill her without giving her the soul too. Haven't tested it personally, but it is probably true.

Thanks! I'd rather keep the original item, but I'm about to test that theory just to see.
Edit - that theory is correct Killing her without giving her the Soul causes her to drop both weapons + full set of armor, so do that if you want everything and don't mind that miserable guilty feeling that comes from killing poor NPCs

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Okay, this game owns. I got to the castle part and I'm getting equipment and the weapons are great, the animation is amazing, I love the monster designs, the levels are really strange still, hard to tell where to go, everything is very maze like and it doesn't really explain a lot of stuff well.

Also you can't pause, the PC port is sloppy and the voice acting is poo poo, but I'm still having fun.

• Locked thread