Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen to Death
Mar 27, 2010

So I am bit surprised by the fact that I am not getting invaded at all. I have been doing a lot of sunbro'ing, hoping to be invaded while I wait, but I don't think I have been invaded at all. I used up the early cracked orbs and had no problems finding people to invade. Come on, where are all of the Darkwraith twinks at?

Edit: I should probably mention that I am not hollow while I wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
Can you pause in the Console versions? I am thinking the answer is no - the entire design of the game seems to be focused on "you aren't safe, ever", and no pause adds to that. The other factor would be how to handle the ability to pause with multiplayer, which while addressable probably wasnt something they wanted to bother with.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Saltin posted:

Can you pause in the Console versions? I am thinking the answer is no - the entire design of the game seems to be focused on "you aren't safe, ever", and no pause adds to that. The other factor would be how to handle the ability to pause with multiplayer, which while addressable probably wasnt something they wanted to bother with.

You cannot pause in the console version. Pausing would be really dumb in this game anyway, for exactly the reasons you listed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

AxeManiac posted:

Okay, this game owns. I got to the castle part and I'm getting equipment and the weapons are great, the animation is amazing, I love the monster designs, the levels are really strange still, hard to tell where to go, everything is very maze like and it doesn't really explain a lot of stuff well.

Also you can't pause, the PC port is sloppy and the voice acting is poo poo, but I'm still having fun.
I'm glad we have come to an understanding.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

AxeManiac posted:

Okay, this game owns. I got to the castle part and I'm getting equipment and the weapons are great, the animation is amazing, I love the monster designs, the levels are really strange still, hard to tell where to go, everything is very maze like and it doesn't really explain a lot of stuff well.

Also you can't pause, the PC port is sloppy and the voice acting is poo poo, but I'm still having fun.

Once you get through +four of the shortcuts, you'll see how amazing the level design really is. It's really great.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AxeManiac posted:

And in another hour or two you will devolve into a blibbering mess about THOSE GOD drat DOGS or praising the sun.

This thread and others talking about Dark Souls is great and even if it is sloppy a pc release is great for all.

Had a friend call me screaming with anger that I made him waste 40 dollars with my suggestion only to call back a couple hours later bragging about his endeavors.

Please From Software, keep it up! :allears:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Pausing's less of an issue than it seems. Aside from being invaded you're safe in a hell of a lot of the game. There aren't that many patrolling enemies, and so generally if you're not getting attacked it's safe to leave the game running for a little bit.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Funkalicious posted:

So I am bit surprised by the fact that I am not getting invaded at all. I have been doing a lot of sunbro'ing, hoping to be invaded while I wait, but I don't think I have been invaded at all. I used up the early cracked orbs and had no problems finding people to invade. Come on, where are all of the Darkwraith twinks at?

Edit: I should probably mention that I am not hollow while I wait.

Are you "Way of the White"? Clerics and Knights get auto-enrolled at birth in that clique and it significantly reduces your chances of being invaded.

I rolled a Knight and have been invaded once - I got schooled, but whatever, it's my first time.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I like the not being able to pause. A giant monster isn't going to wait patiently by while you sort through your bags looking for that badass sword and some herbs.

He's gonna run up to you and kick you in the face.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Urgh the hardest part about the souls games is choosing a weapon to upgrade down your chosen path.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
There's a map viewer out there were some guy ripped the 3d collision data from his 360 or something and you can see how all the different areas interconnect. It works really well and there's only one or two places that don't make sense geometrically.

And if you want to pause, just quit.

You can actually cheese one of the bosses by quitting because if you quit during a boss fight it will always put you right outside the white fog door.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Leper Residue posted:

I like the not being able to pause. A giant monster isn't going to wait patiently by while you sort through your bags looking for that badass sword and some herbs.

It does rule, and is consistent with the design, but it is definitely a wake up call to the Skyrim set.

Frozen to Death
Mar 27, 2010

Saltin posted:

Are you "Way of the White"? Clerics and Knights get auto-enrolled at birth in that clique and it significantly reduces your chances of being invaded.

I rolled a Knight and have been invaded once - I got schooled, but whatever, it's my first time.

Nope, I am a Sunbro. Not sure if the same thing applies for them, but I figure I should have been invaded at least once by now, I have like 40 sun medals.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Funkalicious posted:

Nope, I am a Sunbro. Not sure if the same thing applies for them, but I figure I should have been invaded at least once by now, I have like 40 sun medals.

If you've beaten the boss in an area, you can't be invaded there.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Saltin posted:

It does rule, and is consistent with the design, but it is definitely a wake up call to the Skyrim set.

Yeah, I went from playing a vampire sneaker in Skyrim because it's pretty much the only way to get a challenge out of it, to trying three different characters just to get past one particular spot in Undead Burg. It does seem like it's a lot easier to get well practiced on an armored sword-and-board fatass than anything else.

Frozen to Death
Mar 27, 2010

tractor fanatic posted:

If you've beaten the boss in an area, you can't be invaded there.

Yeah I know, I am leaving the boss up as I coop. I haven't been paying attention to see if the bonfire becomes inaccessible though. Might be network issues I dunno.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Could anyone help me out with Artorias? I'm SL 70 and no one is dropping their drat sign.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

redmercer posted:

Yeah, I went from playing a vampire sneaker in Skyrim because it's pretty much the only way to get a challenge out of it, to trying three different characters just to get past one particular spot in Undead Burg. It does seem like it's a lot easier to get well practiced on an armored sword-and-board fatass than anything else.

Different areas and enemies can be easier or harder depending on your build.

The new DLC content, for instance, very heavily favors lighter armored builds due to how aggressive the new bosses are, but other areas and bosses will favor heavier builds due to how you're more difficult to stagger with heavier armor.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Stele007 posted:

Could anyone help me out with Artorias? I'm SL 70 and no one is dropping their drat sign.

ill do it, gimme three minutes

GT is AaarghMyKDRatio

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Funkalicious posted:

Sunbros/Princess Guard/Way of the White have a higher chance of finding coop, and a much smaller chance of being invaded ( except for Forest, but thats due to Forest Hunters. )

On PC at least, I'm noticing Sunbros seem uninvadable, as both me and my buddy got invaded quite often while outside of a Cov, but the second we joined Sunbros, we haven't seen a single invasion, even in Forest Hunter lands. On the other hand, I also think we see ALL THE SUMMONS for co-op, as entering a boss room while human results in the entire floor just being nothing but summon signs.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Funkalicious posted:

Yeah I know, I am leaving the boss up as I coop. I haven't been paying attention to see if the bonfire becomes inaccessible though. Might be network issues I dunno.

Are you human? If you picked up the cracked red orbs from firelink and still have one, try to invade someone and test it out.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Leper Residue posted:

I'm just more of a fan of, real life happens while you play and you can't always seal yourself away in a tome of immersion.

Not pausing while in the menu is fine, but a static "Oh poo poo, hang on gotta go do something away from the computer" pause would be nice.

It is fun to find a cool section and just pose around like a model.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You can just quit and reload if something else requires your attention. You always start back where you left off, unless you were in the middle of dying or something.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Maremidon posted:

Most of the voice actors felt pretty unremarkable to me, with a few exceptions(Laurentius and Patches forever). Then again, most characters only have a few lines to work with. The corny dialogue writing works sometimes, I think. I don't know if Solaire is supposed to come off as a loveable dork, but that's what happened.
From Software's games tend to be populated with two types of characters: stern no-nonsense types who speak the bare minimum required, and the more verbose types who come off as slightly...off. The Souls games seem to be dominated by the second type, and I do think it's a deliberate decision. I sometimes get the feeling of disparate medieval cultures coming together, being forced to work with each other, resulting in a group of people who just act or say the occasional weird thing.

Of course, From is also the company that bestowed this upon the gaming world:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Genl242_ZU8&t=56s

I dunno.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

AxeManiac posted:

I'm just more of a fan of, real life happens while you play and you can't always seal yourself away in a tome of immersion.

Not pausing while in the menu is fine, but a static "Oh poo poo, hang on gotta go do something away from the computer" pause would be nice.

It is fun to find a cool section and just pose around like a model.
You can also quit really quickly and almost certainly not lose anything important, with the frequency it autosaves.

edit: and what's the worst that happens if you just walk away while it's running? You die? That happens constantly anyway.

Frozen to Death
Mar 27, 2010

tractor fanatic posted:

Are you human? If you picked up the cracked red orbs from firelink and still have one, try to invade someone and test it out.

Yea, I am human. I mentioned above that I used up the early orbs and had no problems invading others. I don't want to invade poor newbies, I want to smash twinks :(

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Are there genre exclusive armors in Dark Souls like we had in the first title? If so, which sex would be better for a Pyro with Dex/End/Vit?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VisAbsoluta posted:

Are there genre exclusive armors in Dark Souls like we had in the first title? If so, which sex would be better for a Pyro with Dex/End/Vit?
No, all armor is now unisex.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

VisAbsoluta posted:

No.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

SixtySix posted:

ill do it, gimme three minutes

GT is AaarghMyKDRatio

I'm in the Steam Group's chat, by the way.

Edit: poo poo, finally found someone do to it, sorry

Stele007 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 25, 2012

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
So where does a Red Phantom go at SL30 to welcome some newbies? :getin:

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
When I played on the PS3 i rolled a STR build and it was so utterly boring to play. I'm not sure if I wanna do a faith or a sorcery build this time through. I'll probably use a dex weapon and light armor with either. I just want something interesting to play throughout the whole game and in pvp. What might you all recommend?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

That Gobbo posted:

So where does a Red Phantom go at SL30 to welcome some newbies? :getin:

The Depths would work but you'll probably get more hits in Blighttown or possibly Sen's Fortress.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Anyone else having huge connectivity problems when trying to summon people? I had successful summonings/pvp before so I don't know if the problem is on my side or theirs...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FrickenMoron posted:

Anyone else having huge connectivity problems when trying to summon people? I had successful summonings/pvp before so I don't know if the problem is on my side or theirs...
Everybody does, always forever. It was like that in the console versions too. That should really go in the op. Summoning Failed Summoning Failed Summoning Failed Summoning Failed Summoning Failed Summoning Failed

Frozen to Death
Mar 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Everybody does, always forever. It was like that in the console versions too. That should really go in the op. Summoning Failed Summoning Failed Summoning Failed Summoning Failed Summoning Failed Summoning Failed

It definitely seems worse here though, at least compared with the PS3 version.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
DLC encounter question, because I'm just plain curious: What's the gimmick for killing the huge blob of chains with the telephone pole sticking out of it's head? Hitting it with a sword just worked like hitting a shield, did 20dmg and left me wide open to get rocked. I cheesed him with sorcery, but I feel like there has to be a way without magic that I just didn't find

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

MrTheDevious posted:

DLC encounter question, because I'm just plain curious: What's the gimmick for killing the huge blob of chains with the telephone pole sticking out of it's head? Hitting it with a sword just worked like hitting a shield, did 20dmg and left me wide open to get rocked. I cheesed him with sorcery, but I feel like there has to be a way without magic that I just didn't find

I was using the Black Knight Greataxe and it tore that thing apart.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Funkalicious posted:

It definitely seems worse here though, at least compared with the PS3 version.
I had the PS3 version and it seems pretty much the same to me. It's a testament to how much I like the game that I am willing to overlook the awful, awful, awful way that they handled matchmaking in a technical sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thank god, finally managed to kill the capra demon with a summoned helper. I also cheesed the butterfly with the 80% magic block shield. :(

• Locked thread