Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Famous TV Dad posted:

When is the best time to tackle the DLC content?

The trash enemies are dirt easy and you could basically handle them at any point, but the bosses are loving nightmare levels of hard. You can warp out at any point, so might as well try it, but I went in as early as possible Immediately after placing Lordvessel and what I'm guessing is the final boss is the most punishing boss in a game I've ever seen.

vvv also THAT bigtime. I came in with a Lightning Uchi +2 and every boss fight was a 15 minute slowly chip away 20hp at a time while hoping I didn't mistime a single dodge because it meant instant death.

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Famous TV Dad posted:

I'd say level 50-60. Bring strong weapons.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Making people roll off the platform to dodge a Dung Pie. :allears:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Famous TV Dad posted:

As many have suggested here, do it once you've done everything else and are Gwyn-ready. The content is very difficult and I'm reading that the bosses are ridiculous, two of them make the vanilla final boss seem like a wimp.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 26, 2012

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

Brackhar posted:

So I'm going to do something stupid this time and play a parry based character. What's the best thing for parrying in this game? Is it still the estoc/rapier like in Demon Souls?

It's not stupid. It's a great idea. Use Rapiers. The normal rapier gets a slightly higher crit bonus (I think, someone from the console thread who is into stats might be able to clarify) than the estoc but the estoc has a longer reach. Ricards rapier is decent as well because of its R2 attack.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

As many have suggested here, do it once you've done everything else and are SPOILER-ready. The content is very difficult and I'm reading that the bosses are ridiculous, two of them make the vanilla final boss seem like a wimp.

They absolutely do. I'd say 3 of the 4 bosses are far harder than any encounter in vanilla ever thought about being. I left and went back to playing the vanilla game after trying Manus a few times.

Also, Bob, would you mind spoilering that final boss name? I'd have hated to read that when I was playing through the game the first time :)

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Currently sunbroing by the lower blighttown fire here with my SL 30. I've already helped a few people. This character is my old queelag ruining super-sunbro from the PS3, with ring of the sun's firstborn, the dusk crown, and the great lightning spear miracle. If you see a ornstein-armored monkey-related summon sign down there, give me a summon.

Not sure where I am going to take the character when I am done low level sunbroing. Only points so far are a couple in dex, a couple in vit and end, and enough faith to get to 30.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The first boss fight is a very nice tutorial on a few things:

The things you learn during that fight are applicable through the entire game. It's an amazing boss fight for that.
Now I feel kind of bad that my normal strategy is just '12 firebombs'.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Cool. Thanks guys.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Sorry if this has been asked before but this thread moves faster than crap through a goose. But with the online matchmaking is that including Coop with a friend, or do you still have to do the constant stone dropping in a dark far away corner to link up?

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
Suicide rushed through the Catacombs to get Tranquil Walk of Peace before hitting Sen's and Anor Londo, I can't wait to get invaded while Sunbro'ing and bust it out, followed by copious lightning spears and pyromancy.

Invaders need a warm welcome to the PC version too.

:darksouls:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Wang posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before but this thread moves faster than crap through a goose. But with the online matchmaking is that including Coop with a friend, or do you still have to do the constant stone dropping in a dark far away corner to link up?
You still have to drop signs for that sort of stuff. The matchmaking refers to the PvP arena.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Anyone near my level of 37 want to help me with, ah never mind. I just did it.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 26, 2012

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
What's the new level range for the Archives? I've been looking for some help with Seath's tail and there's no signs at all which is weird.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I think I finished the DLC maybe. Can someone else tell me if this is all there is? Finally killed Manus, he turns into what I think is Dusk laying on the ground mumbling, and there's nothing to do but either stab her in the face for nothing but 1k souls or warp out?

^^^ Level ranges for the areas Post-Lordvessel are hard to nail down because people tackle all of it in different orders, so anywhere from 50-80

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I was finding hits at 60 earlier last night for Seathe.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I put myself right at 60 because that worked on the Xbox and I'm getting nothing. Yet another reason Archives are my least favorite area.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
(Darkroot Forest spoilers)Oh no poor doggie :ohdear: I am a monster.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Underwhelmed posted:

You made him lose his grip, and he went off the lavafall. I think you can only pull that off the first time you fight him (as in, if you die to him you have to do it the hard, or tedious way)

Not so, unless they've changed it from the PS3 version. The catch is that you have to run all the way out to where you picked up the armor, and all the way back again, without taking a hit (I think). This is still more difficult than nailing it the first time, because on second+ attempts he's pissed at you both ways.

Al! posted:

(Darkroot Forest spoilers)Oh no poor doggie :ohdear: I am a monster.

Oh my god, I felt the same exact way when I killed Sif back on the PS3. Literally pleading with the wolf on the TV screen to stop fighting me
:cry:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Whats a good strength based thrusting style weapon?

I was relying so heavily on Spears because I liked the ability to fight things in corridors, which seems to be a weakspot for most swords. Trying to find something that'll not screw me over if I get jumped.

The Warpick on Andrew is labeled as a "thrust" weapon, but have a limited amount of souls right now, and don't really have the option to experiment much.

Also where is a good place to farm Shards? Want to level up my armor/weapons before heading in to Blightown because ha ha ha ha ha gently caress whatever those big guys are right off the bat.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rookersh posted:

I was relying so heavily on Spears because I liked the ability to fight things in corridors, which seems to be a weakspot for most swords. Trying to find something that'll not screw me over if I get jumped.

The Warpick on Andrew is labeled as a "thrust" weapon, but have a limited amount of souls right now, and don't really have the option to experiment much.

Also where is a good place to farm Shards? Want to level up my armor/weapons before heading in to Blightown because ha ha ha ha ha gently caress whatever those big guys are right off the bat.
If it's fighting in narrow spaces, also consider clubs and maces, since they hit overhead. As does the war pick, I believe.

edit: you don't really need to farm shards since you can just buy them.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lprsti99 posted:

Not so, unless they've changed it from the PS3 version. The catch is that you have to run all the way out to where you picked up the armor, and all the way back again, without taking a hit (I think). This is still more difficult than nailing it the first time, because on second+ attempts he's pissed at you both ways.

Oh my god, I felt the same exact way when I killed Sif back on the PS3. Literally pleading with the wolf on the TV screen to stop fighting me
:cry:

The worst part was that rumor that you could somehow not kill it and everyone trying different ways to spare it.

Now that I know I don't have the option, I just yell "Where's your double swing now motherfucker?!" and punch it to death.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Rookersh posted:

I'm actually not aware of any great thrusting Str weapons, though I'm sure there are some. As for shards, you can buy them from Andre for 800 souls, so the big problem is farming souls. Luckily, if you don't mind abusing a pretty blatant glitch, you can farm a bunch of souls really quickly near Andre. Google "Dark Souls Forest Farming Glitch" and watch one of the youtube guides, it still works on PC

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Still down in blightdown wrecking queelag with my sunbro great lightning spear chucker. Even getting some nice messages.

Daww. Makes it all worth it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Rookersh posted:

If you mean thrust as in "hide behind a shield and poke", you're out of luck, there are no strength based thrusting weapons.

If you mean "thrust" as in "does stabbing damage", well, that's a bit different. The claymore, for example, has a stabbing attack, and I believe other greatswords do too. Most straight swords also have one, but straight swords are bad because they scale badly unless you go Dex+BSS/Dex+Silver Knight, so forth. Pretty much, there's nothing stabby for strength. I say embrace your enforced different advantage and get a Great Axe.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

If you mean thrust as in "hide behind a shield and poke", you're out of luck, there are no strength based thrusting weapons.

If you mean "thrust" as in "does stabbing damage", well, that's a bit different. The claymore, for example, has a stabbing attacking. Most straight swords also have on, but straight swords are bad because they scale badly unless you go Dex+BSS/Dex+Silver Knight, so forth. Pretty much, there's nothing stabby for strength. I say embrace your enforced different advantage and get a Great Axe.

More thrust as in "I'm standing in a hallway and attacking you because my weapon hits vertically." rather then "I'm standing in a hallway and every other attack my sword hits the wall and you stab me repeatedly in the downtime."

It's my pet peeve in Souls games.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Rookersh posted:

More thrust as in "I'm standing in a hallway and attacking you because my weapon hits vertically." rather then "I'm standing in a hallway and every other attack my sword hits the wall and you stab me repeatedly in the downtime."

It's my pet peeve in Souls games.

Two-hand your weapon. The majority of weapons have vertical 2hand animations. Otherwise, try luring it out.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
A new content question:

Where do you get the key for Gough's door? I've been all the way to the end and didn't find it. I read it was in the building before the abyss, is that the building with the weird chain miniboss or the building before that one with all the monkeys? Also is it possible to get gough's armor?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MrTheDevious posted:

I'm actually not aware of any great thrusting Str weapons, though I'm sure there are some. As for shards, you can buy them from Andre for 800 souls, so the big problem is farming souls. Luckily, if you don't mind abusing a pretty blatant glitch, you can farm a bunch of souls really quickly near Andre. Google "Dark Souls Forest Farming Glitch" and watch one of the youtube guides, it still works on PC

That bug is back? Sweet. Even without the bug though, that's a great farming spot, lots of fragile high-xp enemies.

A really good one though that can be executed risk-free very early is the dragon bridge. Have the ladder shortcut unlocked, rest at the bonfire, then take one step on the bridge and have the dragon roast all the undead on it, +500 souls and you can do it like 3-4 times a minute.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

TastyAvocado posted:

A new content question:

Where do you get the key for Gough's door? I've been all the way to the end and didn't find it. I read it was in the building before the abyss, is that the building with the weird chain miniboss or the building before that one with all the monkeys? Also is it possible to get gough's armor?

It's in the building with all the monkey enemies, search around for a doorway you probably missed. Also I've read it's possible to get Gough's Armor by killing him.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I'm not hollow, I have humanities, why the gently caress is this goddamn bonfire telling me I have no humanity when I try to kindle it?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Mmm....I just became a Darkwraith and I stuck by my word about staying level 37. I'm going to warp to Blightown with my 25 cracked red eye and torture some people wallowing in poison.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

redmercer posted:

I'm not hollow, I have humanities, why the gently caress is this goddamn bonfire telling me I have no humanity when I try to kindle it?

Liquid humanity, in the counter in the top left?

You need to use the humanity items to actually get the humanity from them. I recommend against this if you have another way of getting humanity easily (like co-op) since solid humanities are also a free full-heal.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Blacktoll posted:

Mmm....I just became a Darkwraith and I stuck by my word about staying level 37. I'm going to warp to Blightown with my 25 cracked red eye and torture some people wallowing in poison.
Better yet, pump some humanity into the Covenant guy and get a handy not-cracked Red Eye Orb that you can continually use.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Yes! I am now a warrior of sunlight! Is it worth it to put the 9 levels into faith to be able to use it, or should I stick with the pyromancy, and just feel good about sunbroing it up?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

That Gobbo posted:

It's in the building with all the monkey enemies, search around for a doorway you probably missed. Also I've read it's possible to get Gough's Armor by killing him.

I can't find it. Is this the building with the spell you cut from a rope and a red titanite chunk in a chest you have to jump to get?

Edit: :lol: I checked my inventory and I had it all along whoops.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Arujei posted:

Yes! I am now a warrior of sunlight! Is it worth it to put the 9 levels into faith to be able to use it, or should I stick with the pyromancy, and just feel good about sunbroing it up?
If you want to use Miracles, then go ahead and pump it up. Lightning can be cool, but if you aren't committed to using it, don't bother. Nothing wrong with not using Miracles and only using Pyromancy.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Alright, I haven't played much since launch. I really want to make a heavy tank character.

I'm planing on using a Greatshield of Artorias for the massive stablity. I'm figure my best bet is to go with a str build. Does anyone have any good recommendations for builds focusing on using that shield?

Hell, I don't even know what str weapons are good to use paired with a shield anymore.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Arujei posted:

Whatever you want! It's a good spell, but the question is do you think you'll also want to use other Mircales in the future as well? With more attunement slots, you can compliment the lightning spear with other nice stuff like Heal. And some of the miracles later in the game are very good, if you're willing to invest even further in faith.

Or you can just ignore faith and do other stuff. Both plans work very well.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Arujei posted:

Lightning is cool. If you get your Faith high enough, as well as upgrade your Sunbro rank, you'll get a new lightning spell that's even stronger. Hell, with the kind of Faith it takes to use that, you can actually build yourself a sick rear end Ornstein gimmick, since his spear scales off of Faith as well as Strength/Dex, and it fits the whole lightning thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Norns posted:

Alright, I haven't played much since launch. I really want to make a heavy tank character.

I'm planing on using a Greatshield of Artorias for the massive stablity. I'm figure my best bet is to go with a str build. Does anyone have any good recommendations for builds focusing on using that shield?

Hell, I don't even know what str weapons are good to use paired with a shield anymore.
Pretty much whatever you want works. Zweihander, Claymore, Grant, the Demon ____ weapons, the Dragon weapons, the Black Knight weapons. I'd recommend one of the weapons you're not familiar with, simply for the novelty. Novelty is always fun.

• Locked thread