Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

PSI-5 posted:

I'd literally murder everyone in this room for an Ultima X done in the style of Wasteland 2.

The intro would be the Avatar, trapped in a dungeon in Despair, waking from a fever dream with the words, "What's an Avatar?" on his lips.

…add in very poorly disguised cameos of the writers from UIX that need to be subjected to endless misery for their blasphemy and you might be on to something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
If they took the hypothetical multimillion dollar Ultima X investment and made fully featured remakes of Ultima 4-7 which allowed you to turn on and off features like inventory sorting, new fonts, etcetera, generally just making them more approachable to new players while still satisfying the old, I would love that so much more than an Ultima X. In fact I really, really don't want an Ultima X after IX, but everyone needs to play Ultima 4.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Looks like the Broken Sword kickstarter is off to a good start. They hit 40% of their goal after the first day.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

If they took the hypothetical multimillion dollar Ultima X investment and made fully featured remakes of Ultima 4-7 which allowed you to turn on and off features like inventory sorting, new fonts, etcetera, generally just making them more approachable to new players while still satisfying the old, I would love that so much more than an Ultima X. In fact I really, really don't want an Ultima X after IX, but everyone needs to play Ultima 4.

Isn't BioWare rebooting ultima somehow at the moment?
Also word is lord British is making a spiritual successor to the game too.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
EA-Mythic's working on it and (surprise!) it bears very little resemblance to the Ultima of old. The teaser art is basically bad Warcraft knockoffs and women with hilariously huge breasts. And Lady British, though they haven't revealed her yet.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Bieeardo posted:

EA-Mythic's working on it and (surprise!) it bears very little resemblance to the Ultima of old. The teaser art is basically bad Warcraft knockoffs and women with hilariously huge breasts. And Lady British, though they haven't revealed her yet.

I meant garriot is making a game too.
Last I heard he was still drumming up funding for it though.

Mythic was absorbed by the BioWare portion of EA a while back, it might end up at least being fun, I hope.

Personally I'm done with ultima after ultima 8, worlds worst game engine.
The game itself isn't bad but the engine is crap.

Someone should do a kickstarter to remake that one.
I bet a studio could actually exist solely doing remakes lie that and be pretty profitable.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I would lose all sense of reason and throw money at him if Richard Garriot announced Ultima: Reboot, "drawing heavily from the styles of ultima 6 and 7." This despite the abysmal game that was Tabula Rasa.

I'm actually kind of surprised he hasn't, yet. He is one of "that" category of designer, that a bunch of us grew up with. I wonder if he's still on speaking terms with the friends he worked with, back then.

... and Chris Crawford has no idea why his Kickstarter failed, and a serious case of sour grapes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My mistake, Juc66. I don't expect the project to be anything more than a lousy dusting-off of an old IP though. EA's tried it a couple of times, and the basic Ultima structure is really the furthest thing from Bioware's preferred storytelling style.

Shalinor posted:

I would lose all sense of reason and throw money at him if Richard Garriot announced Ultima: Reboot, "drawing heavily from the styles of ultima 6 and 7." This despite the abysmal game that was Tabula Rasa.

I ate, drank, and slept Ultima up through eight, including those strange Underworld titles, and I don't see any reason to believe Garriott isn't as far out of touch with the industry as Molyneux or David Crane are. It'd be fantastic if he did produce at least one awesome new game, though. There's plenty of room for more in the spiritual remake arena like Wasteland 2 (please don't suck, Wasteland 2).

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

Man, I love Crawford's games but get over yourself man, it's no suprise that a kinda-iffy looking piece of edutainment isn't getting 5 figures any time soon.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
This will be the last post I write about Project Giana until it's done, promise! They have 7 days left, missing about a third of their goal, and have just

RELEASED A DEMO

Give it a try if you have even the slightest interest in a new platformer!

Apparently there was some problem with Win XP so if you're still using it make sure to download the patch on the same page.

EDIT: It has some rough edges but the gameplay itself is pretty great actually. The first demo stage is really simple but in the second one you need to shift constantly between the sisters to survive and/or get all the gems. The stages also have multiple paths which is really nice.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 24, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, I loved Balance of Power... but what he has is a pitch video featuring mostly clip art, a page that fails to answer "Why is this remake of a 20-year-old sim needed when Fate of the World exists?" (Well, apparently the answer is "Read this 65-page design document") and a $1000 level reward consisting a signed postcard. That's not exactly a recipe for success.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

He also said that there would be "green" and "free market" modes for the game, missing the entire loving point. I'm glad it failed.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
If he wanted that Kickstarter dosh, should of put in the effort for a fully-voice acted HD reboot of Siboot.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Giana demo was enough to get me on board for $10. Really cool looking game, and what was in the demo was pretty fun.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Saoshyant posted:

Well, gently caress me. I would love to see more Broken Sword. I do hope they "fix" those voices used in the video, as they are terrible.

vvvv Runaway has always felt like a Broken Sword knock off; I wouldn't be surprised if they follow suit with a Kickstarter of their own.

Actually, they're using a different site to crowdfund their next project. (Edit: beaten)

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Voice Talk: Nico sounds very off to me, though I've only played the second game and it looks like her VA then only worked on that one.

She's had a different voice actress in every single game in the series. The only one they managed to get one to come back was the first, for the first game's remake. Ironically, George has always had the same voice actor, even in this new one.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 26, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Dominique Pamplemousse just crossed the 50% line, with 6 days to go.

It'll be tight, but... the funding goal isn't that high. It could definitely still make it.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
This thread has cost me a lot of drat money. Now I'm investing in series I've never even played before.

Had Republique initially been PC, I probably would have invested. The initial iOS only release didn't interest me at all, and I didn't hear about the PC port. Honestly, still not all that excited about it, considering how much emphasis they've placed on iOS.

Chris Crawford can bitch all he wants but that educational game looked loving boring. In a way, he's right, because that's what Kickstarter was once good at. Of course, in those days no one making a Kickstarter would have attempted one at 150k. Also, those were awful reward tiers.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

graventy posted:

Chris Crawford can bitch all he wants but that educational game looked loving boring. In a way, he's right, because that's what Kickstarter was once good at.

Even then I disagree. Just because his heart is in the right place doesn't mean it's a good project. A boring-rear end game, even if it teaches the deepest, most profound lessons ever, isn't going to do anyone any good 'cause no one's going to play it.

To contribute some actual content, here's a good link for browsing Kickstarter for video games: http://www.kicktraq.com/categories/games/video%20games/

Kicktraq may be retarded for predicting KS campaigns, but there are things that it is good for. KS has terrible browse, search, & filter capabilities (probably intentionally) but Kicktraq keeps a great index and lets you do way better stuff than KS does. KS lets you check out categories, but then limits what you can see there based on what's doing well. Sure, 90%+ of the time you don't wanna see the lovely failing Kickstarters, but there are cool things that slip through the cracks.

Most days I'll go on there and just list them by date, so I can check what new games have been thrown up.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
The guy who made Hollywood Mogul announced that he's going do a Kickstarter to fund HM4.

On one hand, I'm pretty excited about this, considering that I figured that he'd gotten tired of the series and abandoned it.

On the other, if he doesn't get funding for it, that's pretty much exactly what he's going to do.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is this a fake site or somehow affiliated with Kickstarter? It's literally the EXACT same layout, same tab placement, etc but HEY GUYS GAMES!!! themed.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Sankis posted:

It's literally the EXACT same layout, same tab placement, etc but HEY GUYS GAMES!!! themed.

Not really. It's much closer to indiegogo, really - http://www.indiegogo.com/pamplemousse?a=856676

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

I want to see this get funded even if just so I can have the soundtrack. Do projects this close normally make it by the end? Would really suck to be just a few thousand away.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

MrBims posted:

I want to see this get funded even if just so I can have the soundtrack. Do projects this close normally make it by the end? Would really suck to be just a few thousand away.

They usually manage to scrape together enough money, thanks to a surge of pledges during the last couple of days, but the goal is pretty high so it's very uncertain at this point. I've raised my pledge so I feel I've done my part at least.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Renoistic posted:

They usually manage to scrape together enough money, thanks to a surge of pledges during the last couple of days, but the goal is pretty high so it's very uncertain at this point. I've raised my pledge so I feel I've done my part at least.

Eh, I've seen enough to know that it's pretty much the surest thing possible by now. If nothing else, the people already invested in its success wouldn't let it fail from >75%.
It probably won't make much more than its goal though, and that sucks.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

With all the big name devs making their dream games when is George Romero going to get off his rear end, kickstart Daikatana 2, and make me his bitch?!

(I would unironically like to see this happen if for no other reason than to enjoy the media shitstorm it would generate)

Comedy option: A Duke Nukem kickstarter by 3DRealms

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Renoistic posted:

This will be the last post I write about Project Giana until it's done, promise! They have 7 days left, missing about a third of their goal, and have just

RELEASED A DEMO

Give it a try if you have even the slightest interest in a new platformer!

Apparently there was some problem with Win XP so if you're still using it make sure to download the patch on the same page.

EDIT: It has some rough edges but the gameplay itself is pretty great actually. The first demo stage is really simple but in the second one you need to shift constantly between the sisters to survive and/or get all the gems. The stages also have multiple paths which is really nice.

Yep, it's a nice little platformer and I'm glad I threw some money at them. Can't really up my pledge more than I have however, so let's hope this gets funded proper.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Castle story just passed 700,000 with 30 minutes to go. wow.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Infinitum posted:

With all the big name devs making their dream games when is George Romero going to get off his rear end, kickstart Daikatana 2, and make me his bitch?!

(I would unironically like to see this happen if for no other reason than to enjoy the media shitstorm it would generate)

I believe you mean John Romero, although I dunno a George Romero-designed game might be pretty sweet.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Electric Pope posted:

Eh, I've seen enough to know that it's pretty much the surest thing possible by now. If nothing else, the people already invested in its success wouldn't let it fail from >75%.
It probably won't make much more than its goal though, and that sucks.

Yeah, it might not be in the "guaranteed success zone" as I like to call it- which is 90%- but it's pretty hard to make it to 75% and fail.

And I disagee, if Giana gets funded with at least a full day, preferably two, left on the ks I could see the project hitting 250k, when gaming sites start reporting it as a "successful" kickstarter and increase eyeballs to it. Unlikely but quite possible. If I were a betting man I'd bet that Giana will end up with around 200k when all is said and done, though.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Cicero posted:

I believe you mean John Romero, although I dunno a George Romero-designed game might be pretty sweet.

They could work together, and Paul Romero could do the music. Now, if only there was a Ringo Romero...

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Infinitum posted:

John Romero is making you his freemium bitch at Gazillion, I believe.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

And Gearbox owns the Duke Nukem IP now, I believe.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but Cheetahmen II kickstarter hit its goal with 12 days left, and is now working on the stretch goal. They have a deal where you can get the previous release they made (cheetahmen the beginning or something like that) for half the normal price if you up your kickstarter pledge the appropriate amount.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

John Romero is making you his freemium bitch at Gazillion, I believe.

I stand by the stupidity of my late night post :v:

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

mutata posted:

And Gearbox owns the Duke Nukem IP now, I believe.

3D Realms claims to still own the IP. When Gearbox announced Forever, a rumor went around about how the DS game Duke Nukem Critical Mass had been canceled as a result. On Twitter, 3D Realms got all huffy and said that it hadn't been canceled and that they own the IP, and not some third party developer. Yes, that's pretty much how they phrased it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

BiggerJ posted:

3D Realms claims to still own the IP. When Gearbox announced Forever, a rumor went around about how the DS game Duke Nukem Critical Mass had been canceled as a result. On Twitter, 3D Realms got all huffy and said that it hadn't been canceled and that they own the IP, and not some third party developer. Yes, that's pretty much how they phrased it.

I checked with a GBX friend of mine and he confirmed that they do, in fact, own the Duke Nukem ip, so it sounds like 3D Realms (which no longer exists :confused:) has sour grapes or is insane.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mutata posted:

I checked with a GBX friend of mine and he confirmed that they do, in fact, own the Duke Nukem ip, so it sounds like 3D Realms (which no longer exists :confused:) has sour grapes or is insane.
Said exchange took place years ago. Goons are bad at noticing the passage of time.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/bribery-spam-and-harassment-the-dark-side-of-kickstarter-promotion

Ben Kuchera of the PA Report posted:

The press tends to focus on the Kickstarter campaigns that end with millions of dollars given to proven developers to make their respective dream games, but the majority of projects either barely scrape by or fail to make their funding goals. The industry favors success, and the bigger the success the more hype may begin to outshine the reality, but what about the projects that you rarely hear about? What happens to them?

Without a big name attached or a known IP coming back from the dead, it can be hard to get the attention of the press, which in turn can make it hard to spread the word to the people you want to fund your game. Many of the developers working on Kickstarter projects don’t have a background in marketing or PR, and this ignorance of what it takes to spread the word of their game or how to do so appropriately can lead to some shady offers to the press, spam campaigns, and in at least one case overzealous backers of a project have harassed individuals who refused to give a game publicity.

Crowd funding strategies are still being developed, and Kickstarter has barely been around long enough for there to be accepted best practices, so let’s dig into what happens when promoting your project goes terribly wrong.

We used to have a thread about videogame journalism and it went sour, so if possible let's keep the ad hominem to a minimum.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

SolForge just announced that an Android version will be part of the full release, if funded. It's not a stretch goal anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

StevenM posted:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/bribery-spam-and-harassment-the-dark-side-of-kickstarter-promotion

We used to have a thread about videogame journalism and it went sour, so if possible let's keep the ad hominem to a minimum.

A month or two ago there was an over-elaborate Kickstarter for a space shooter that I kept an eye on, until the maintainer threw a hissy and implored the people who had already pledged to up their buy-in. It was implied that anyone who hadn't was trying to get the project canned, and that they could keep on doing that if that's what they wanted. That's when it went off my watch-list. I did come back to see it fail, but when you're being that much of a cockmunch I reserve the right to enjoy some schadenfreude at your expense.

Advertising, spamming... I want to suggest that there's a rough limit to how much you should realistically ask for, but I'm not sure there is. Even at the low end I've seen simple games double their asking, or barely squeak by, and then there are prodigies like the Doublefine project and Shadowrun Returns... and then there are wild grabs for cash like Dani Bunten's family trying to rifle her grave to the tune of half a million, and David Crane clawing his way out of obscurity for an embarrassing attempt at nine hundred thousand.

Expecting or bartering for coverage? Yeaaah, that ship's set sail with the proliferation of Kickstarter-style projects we've seen over the last several months. What projects really need is networking. Not that bullshit sort of 'everyone spam everyone you can think of!' garbage noted in the article, but a community that you're already a part of and is at least somewhat inclined to spread the word naturally. The person behind Dominique Pamplemousse is active in feminist and allied blogging circles, which is how I picked up on the project and brought it here, and later when there was another brief flurry on Twitter about it. Without that, I doubt anyone would have noticed.