Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

GreenAcidRage posted:

Okay. Major spoilers and a basic walkthrough here - this probably wont make sense unless you've completed the game once though:

1. Create a Warrior class with the Master Key gift (this is important.)
2. Level up your strength to 16 after the Asylum (you can do this immediately with Warrior or Pyromancer, which is why I recommend Warrior.) This way you can 2h the Gravelord Sword.
3. This next phase really depends on what YOU want to do first. I generally fight through the Burg, buy some arrows(Important) kill Havel for his ring, light the bonfire in Darkroot + Grab the Grass Crest Shield to stick on my back, kill the Hydra, then kill Sif, then grab the Stone Armor in Darkroot Forest. You can actually do this in any order a couple of different ways, but the way I listed is the most linear. Make sure to collect the Longbow in Darkroot.
4. Optional: Collect Fire Keeper souls to +3 your Estus. (Make sure to kill Lautrec before collecting the third or he'll kill your keeper)
5. Optional: Free the pyromancy trainer and get a pyro hand, 2 in Attunement and Iron Flesh. (Puts you at SL9 minimum).
6. Go to New Londo ruins, go to the fourth step outside the house with Ingwrd on the roof, and shoot him in the chest until he aggros. Then shoot him in the head until he dies. The 4th step is a no-mans-land with no Ghosts holding aggro there, but Ingwrd doing so without pathing correctly, so you can shoot him until he dies and then collect the Key to the Seal.
7. Unlock the seal, homeward bone back to Firelink, run down to New Londo and go to the Four Kings door.
8. Kill 4K, DO NOT SIT AT THE BONFIRE, enter the Covenant Darkstalker Kaath offers. Hopefully you have 10 humanity on you to offer him to get the Red Eye Orb.
9. Kill new players, receive hatemail.

There are two ways to take on the Four Kings - the +3 Estus, Iron Flesh way, where you put on the stone armor with Havel's ring on and just tank their poo poo (Don't iron flesh until you are right up close or you will spend a lot of time in the DANGER ZONE where they do the most damage) or just dodging their poo poo if you are good enough, where you hopefully wont need anything but the Gravelord Sword and a good set of cojones.

Ugh, started a new game but made a hunter instead, so I'll be SL 10 or something. Still pretty low right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Ugh, started a new game but made a hunter instead, so I'll be SL 10 or something. Still pretty low right?

You'll be fine. Warrior is just optimal because it starts with 13/13, and you need 16/13 for a certain weapon which trivializes a large portion of the early game.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm enjoying this game more than I thought I would. I usually hate overly-difficult games. This doesn't seem 'overly' difficult, though. It's simply unforgiving. It just isn't unfair. I think they hit the perfect spot here. The normal creatures are tough enough to where you can't sleep through them, but they aren't going to always be a hassle. The trek between bonfires is tough, but it simply adds to the gameplay and the strategy, instead of just being a poorly-implemented feature. I really appreciate that healing pots in the game are free. If they weren't, I think my opinion of this game would change greatly. Funny how small things like that can make or break a game.

I'm curious about something. I rang the first bell, at the top. But I wonder if I did it earlier than normal? I'm level 25, and I've only done the Burg and the area after it. It just seems... like this bell was the mid-point of the game, yet I ran it when I'm only like 1/4th through the game.

Oh, before the boss fight before the bell, I had a chance to summon an NPC, that sun-obsessed dude. But when I saw that the first time, I wasn't prepared for the fight, so I went back to my bonfire to refresh. When I came back, the orange sign with the summon was gone. What happened?

I'm a Knight and I have the Drake Sword.

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.

Revol posted:

I'm curious about something. I rang the first bell, at the top. But I wonder if I did it earlier than normal? I'm level 25, and I've only done the Burg and the area after it. It just seems... like this bell was the mid-point of the game, yet I ran it when I'm only like 1/4th through the game.

I did it at like level 15. There's plenty of game left.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Should I just equip the ring of Favor and Protection for the rest of my playthrough and not look back? It says it breaks when removed.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Revol posted:

I'm enjoying this game more than I thought I would. I usually hate overly-difficult games. This doesn't seem 'overly' difficult, though. It's simply unforgiving. It just isn't unfair. I think they hit the perfect spot here. The normal creatures are tough enough to where you can't sleep through them, but they aren't going to always be a hassle. The trek between bonfires is tough, but it simply adds to the gameplay and the strategy, instead of just being a poorly-implemented feature. I really appreciate that healing pots in the game are free. If they weren't, I think my opinion of this game would change greatly. Funny how small things like that can make or break a game.

Oh, before the boss fight before the bell, I had a chance to summon an NPC, that sun-obsessed dude. But when I saw that the first time, I wasn't prepared for the fight, so I went back to my bonfire to refresh. When I came back, the orange sign with the summon was gone. What happened?

I'm a Knight and I have the Drake Sword.

Well it can kind of time out and reappear after a while. Quitting and reloading would probably have made it come back immediately though. Just make sure that you're still human, otherwise it definitely won't show up.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Shanty posted:

Just make sure that you're still human, otherwise it definitely won't show up.

Oh, that must have been it. One thing I don't understand about the game is the humanity. For one, it seems to me like a lot of that feature ties in with online gameplay, which I'm not touching yet. What else does it do? The in-game notes says it affects item drop and resist, but... well, I've already discovered in-game notes can be incorrect.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Al! posted:

Should I just equip the ring of Favor and Protection for the rest of my playthrough and not look back? It says it breaks when removed.

You'll get more, but I like the utility of having two slots (for example running around with Iron Rust and Flip when I'm doing poo poo in Blighttown or Havel's and Flip when I want to look goofy.

Basically: Don't worry, if you need the extra health just do it.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Revol posted:

Congratulations, you have beaten level 1. You're still very early in.

As for Solaire, you were probably no longer in human form when you got back there, though I have had his symbol disappear on me even when I was human at times, usually after summoning then dismissing him or after putting down & removing my own sign. Quitting & restarting seems to fix it.

Edit: This thread moves fast.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Revol posted:

Oh, that must have been it. One thing I don't understand about the game is the humanity. For one, it seems to me like a lot of that feature ties in with online gameplay, which I'm not touching yet. What else does it do? The in-game notes says it affects item drop and resist, but... well, I've already discovered in-game notes can be incorrect.

It definitely does increase your resistances and item find, but maxes out at 10 humanity. You can see the effect yourself by looking at your character sheet before and after using humanity. It's also used to kindle bonfires, which increases how many estus flasks you get when you rest there.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It does affect Item Find. 10 Humanity gives you a base of 210 Item Find, which is a pretty decent value for finding most mob drops, outside of titanite and rarer things.

It allows you to summon NPCs for bosses and players for bosses and the general area you're in. It also allows you to be invaded by various covenants under most circumstances. Finally, NPC invaders will invade you at certain points in the game if you are human.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Well, all I can say is that I really got better at the game in those two days. Black Knight? psh, backstab that loser repeateadly! :smug:

No idea if I can do that low level run, but it's fun so far. I went the safe route and cleared burg and went to upgrade equips.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Revol posted:

Mid-point? More like 1/15th through the game. There's a LOT of game left.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Al! posted:

It was already the best ring in the game, and especially so now that the Dark Wood Grain Ring has been nerfed a little bit.

If you want to experiment with a bunch of different ring combos then maybe wait a little to put it on, or you can get another one later in the game in a semi-hidden area.

I always put mine on right when I kick Lautrec off the fire keeper ledge and never really have a reason to take it off.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Can someone explain Pyromancy to me?

Being a knight was easy enough, I need strength and a bit of dex to use weapons, need lots of endurance and vitality for staying alive/mobility, and maybe some Faith to cast miracles.

But what does Pyromancy draw from spellwise? I thought Int, but it looks like it actually doesn't get much in the way of gains from Int. Would it just be better to focus on Dex/Attunement for a Pyromancer?

Learning how absolutely focused this game is on Fire, makes me want to make a Pyro Knight, just have never played a caster before in games, so no idea what I'm doing.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012

Al! posted:

It's a great ring, but I always thought of it as more of a crutch. My logic is that eventually I'm going to want that ring slot, so I don't want to get used to having that extra heath, stamina and equip load just to have that permanently (Until the next playthrough where you can get another) taken away.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Rookersh posted:

But what does Pyromancy draw from spellwise? I thought Int, but it looks like it actually doesn't get much in the way of gains from Int. Would it just be better to focus on Dex/Attunement for a Pyromancer?

It draws from the level of the Pyromancer Flame. Upgrade that poo poo!

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Can someone explain Pyromancy to me?

Being a knight was easy enough, I need strength and a bit of dex to use weapons, need lots of endurance and vitality for staying alive/mobility, and maybe some Faith to cast miracles.

Learning how absolutely focused this game is on Fire, makes me want to make a Pyro Knight, just have never played a caster before in games, so no idea what I'm doing.

The level of your Pyromancer's Flame determines the strength of your Pyromancies. You can upgrade it to +15 just like any other weapon and then ascend it to +5 again through the chick in Blighttown. Dexterity affects casting speed but I'd rather put my points into Vitality (after you've decided on what weapon to use).

AlternatePFG posted:

It's a great ring, but I always thought of it as more of a crutch. My logic is that eventually I'm going to want that ring slot, so I don't want to get used to having that extra heath, stamina and equip load just to have that permanently (Until the next playthrough where you can get another) taken away.

You can get two Favor and Protection in each playthrough, if you are willing to go through some poo poo for the second one.

Go to the painted world as a human, go to the Graveyard in the eastern part of the map and wait to be invaded by a NPC phantom, take the headgear he drops and trade it with Snuggly in the Asylum.

Boatswain fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 27, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

AlternatePFG posted:

You can get 2 per playthrough, one from trading with Snuggly too.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Basically, Pyromancy is its own level-up tree, not tied to stats. Which means that it's extremely cheap to grab the first 10 levels of Pyromancy. Unless you're going for a purist run, there's really no reason not to grab Pyromancy as it doesn't screw up your primary stat allocations/levelling.

It's been nerfed, but Stone Skin was more than enough to justify getting a bit of Pyromancy.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You can get 2 per playthrough, one from trading with Snuggly too.

But then you have to give up the awesome gourd hat. :colbert:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I can't imagine running around the game with 10 Humanity, the risk of losing all that seems too great. I've lost my corpse I think... three times now. The first time I had 8 humanity stocked up on it. Since then, just a few.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012

Revol posted:

I can't imagine running around the game with 10 Humanity, the risk of losing all that seems too great. I've lost my corpse I think... three times now. The first time I had 8 humanity stocked up on it. Since then, just a few.

Trust me, by the end of the game, especially with one of the new DLC areas, you'll be swimming in humanities as long as you don't have the compulsion to fully kindle every single bonfire you find.

They're pretty good healing items if you run out of Estus too. I had to do that a couple of times on the DLC bosses.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So just for the gently caress of it I decided to roll a new character because I recalled one of the starting gifts being a(temporary) fierce offensive boost and I figured it would be fun to see if the tutorial boss could be killed that way.

:stare: lets just say I am seriously considering to reroll my main knight character now(did not get that far anyway, only rang the first bell).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

AlternatePFG posted:

Trust me, by the end of the game, especially with one of the new DLC areas, you'll be swimming in humanities as long as you don't have the compulsion to fully kindle every single bonfire you find.

Gotta kindle erry bonfire.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

AlternatePFG posted:

They're pretty good healing items if you run out of Estus too. I had to do that a couple of times on the DLC bosses.

Yeah, I'm gonna want to rekindle 'em all! Didn't think there'd be that many to make it a concern.

And how does humanity heal you?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

20 undead candy is a lotta freakin' candy.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Revol posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna want to rekindle 'em all! Didn't think there'd be that many to make it a concern.

If you use a humanity item it gives health just like your flasks would. I think it states this in the description.

(on that note, I found out reading all the descriptions is a good way to get unstuck if you do not know where to go)

E: Orv! Just recalled I didn't get back to you about that summon for that boss. Sorry about that it totally slipped my mind. Got past it though.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012

Revol posted:

Just put it in one of your quickslots and use it when you need healing and most of the time it heals you full. It's one of the few ways to heal yourself when you're invading/phantoming.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mindblast posted:

E: Orv! Just recalled I didn't get back to you about that summon for that boss. Sorry about that it totally slipped my mind. Got past it though.

No worries! I just assumed you had after a half hour and moved on. Glad to hear you got through it.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Yodzilla posted:

Dis. Need my Sunny D :sun:

Also, I'm towards the end of Blighttown and got to the lava spider boss. FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, that drat puke

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

AlternatePFG posted:

Just put it in one of your quickslots and use it when you need healing and most of the time it heals you full. It's one of the few ways to heal yourself when you're invading/phantoming.

Oh yeah, that's right. Durr.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I got invaded by a red/black phantom named kirk, but I couldn't kill him at all (because I'm a bad player hint hint)

I eventually just ran away and went after the boss and he went away. I went looking up armors and noticed he was listed as a black phantom. Did I gently caress up my chances of getting his armor?

Also that's not a black phantom, it's got a red aura so its a red phantom t:mad:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Dis. Need my Sunny D :sun:

Also, I'm towards the end of Blighttown and got to the lava spider boss. FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, that drat puke

That puke hosed me up in 5 seconds the first time I fought that boss, but the next time I knew what to look out for and cleaned its fuckin clock.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I eventually just ran away and went after the boss and he went away. I went looking up armors and noticed he was listed as a black phantom. Did I gently caress up my chances of getting his armor?

If you killed the boss, I believe you've missed your chance. If you haven't killed the boss yet, he'll come back if you're in the same area as human again.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Smello posted:

If you killed the boss, I believe you've missed your chance. If you haven't killed the boss yet, he'll come back if you're in the same area as human again.

gently caress, I killed the boss. What carries over on ng+?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

aegeryn posted:

Jesus Christ Ornstein and Smough are the worst bullshit yet. After Anor Londo's long slog of every fight feeling like a mini-boss and then this, I feel like I'm losing my will to keep trying.

Summon some bros! If you're lacking humanity try dropping a sign to be summoned by the bonfire. It doesn't hurt to upgrade your stuff too with the souls you're getting in the place.

Knights are pretty cake if you can parry/riposte. They'll go down in a single hit with a upgraded weapon.

The massive caped knights prior to O&S are complete assholes but they seem to drop titanite chunks 1/3 of the time with that item find ring. You want to keep advancing on them whenever and stay between their legs. But make sure their backs aren't towards an enemy or they may leap back into them.

Montez
Sep 15, 2003

Frog blast the vent cores!
DLC question: Can you make a weapon from the Guardian's Soul, or does it have some other use?

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Is there a way to do a backstab type move with every weapon? or is it only a certain few?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Hashtag Nascar posted:

Is there a way to do a backstab type move with every weapon? or is it only a certain few?

Every weapon except for he weapons that cast spells and maybe the whips, can backstab.

Not all enemies can be backstabbed. You cannot have your shield raised while you attempt to backstab or it won't work.

• Locked thread