Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
O&S are the hardest boss in the game, mostly because of it breaking the Dark Souls Rule of "Try and only fight one thing at a time".

Then there's two of them and they are WAY more aggressive than most of the other bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

homeless snail posted:

You sure have one incredibly arbitrary definition of 2.5D games. Get a controller.

I have one, I simply prefer not to use over games that require you to move the camera. And yes, I do consider devil may cry 4 a 2.5D game because there is no real 3D camera control needed. This is also why I'd prefer a controller for Zelda:OOT even if I'd be able to use a mouse for it.

Polo-Rican posted:

This is backwards though because the modern analog-stick controller was designed purely to facilitate moving a character around in 3D. I agree with you when it comes to FPS, but for 3rd person action games a keyboard simply limits your movement. You can't move variable speeds (holding shift to walk doesn't count, that's only 2 possible speeds) and you can't instantly walk in any direction at any time.
If both input mediums were the same, you'd have a point calling it backwards. However, they aren't. Using a thumbstick for 3D camera orientation is entirely different than using a mouse. Feel free to state that you like the thumbstick equally or more than the mouse for this. But atleast aknowledge that it is a preference and nothing more than that. Especially don't brand it as "backwards".

Batham fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 27, 2012

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Al! posted:

Some quick googling turned up these for the PS3 version:

TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223
UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658

I'm not sure whether they changed it for the PC version but I would guess not. Give those a try and see how well it works.

Tried this (and already tried 3074 above) and still getting summoning failed all the time. Guess I just can't have any online co-op. :smith:

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Shima Honnou posted:

What's your soul level?

54. Not much more than last night.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Shima Honnou posted:

What's your soul level?

I've been wondering... does your soul level actually have any bearing on the game? Most RPGs, the balance is made in part by your stats, but also with your level and the enemy's level. But I'm wondering if with Dark Souls, the only thing your soul level tells you is how many points you've invested into stats.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Batham posted:

I have one, I simply prefer not to use over games that require you to move the camera. And yes, I do consider devil may cry 4 a 2.5D game because there is no real 3D camera control needed.

Well have fun playing the game wrong because of your spergy aversion to the correct control scheme.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Revol posted:

I've been wondering... does your soul level actually have any bearing on the game? Most RPGs, the balance is made in part by your stats, but also with your level and the enemy's level. But I'm wondering if with Dark Souls, the only thing your soul level tells you is how many points you've invested into stats.

Yes it does, it determines who you can summon, be summoned by, who you can invade and be invaded by, and increasing your soul level naturally increases your resistances and defense at a very slow rate.

I'll be by the Anor Londo bonfire in about 5 minutes.

EDIT: Sign dropped in the bonfire room.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 27, 2012

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Batham posted:

I have one, I simply prefer not to use over games that require you to move the camera. And yes, I do consider devil may cry 4 a 2.5D game because there is no real 3D camera control needed.

You can continue playing the game with M+KB just fine if you learn to adapt and have patience, but do know that having such a strong emotional attachment to the "idea" of M+KB versus Controller for a game BUILT with the 360 controller in mind is the definition of cognitive dissonance. You should play games with efficiency in mind, not principle. You'll have more fun if you just suck it up and learn to play the best way, ie with a 360 controller.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Anyone have build suggestions for an aspiring dragonbro? I really want to try out that covenant.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Revol posted:

Aside from deciding what other human players you can play the game with, no, your character's level has no effect on the world around you or the enemies in it. Enemy placement and how many there are, as well as enemy survivability and damage output, is always the same.

This, incidentally, is part of the reason the game is so great. Everything is a set difficulty from the start of the game, and the only thing you can do to make it easier on yourself is to get stronger by leveling up and getting better gear, and of course by learning how to play the game... just like God intended.

However, you never really feel overpowered, not matter how strong you get. Improving simply means you feel like you have a little bit more wiggle room than you previously did for the next time you gently caress something up.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 27, 2012

Elsje
Nov 5, 2007
I suck balls at this game, but I am having so much fun! The game really rewards you for learning your surroundings and opponent's movements. I haven't noticably progessed during my playtime tonight, but I am moving forward much faster through the same area, until I encounter the next 'teaching moment'.

I do still hate playing with a gamepad and it causes at least 50% of my deaths, not least by falling off bridges and ledges. But I will persevere and conquer.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

This, incidentally, is part of the reason the game is so great. Everything is a set difficulty from the start of the game, and the only thing you can do to make it easier on yourself is to get stronger by leveling up and getting better gear, and of course by learning how to play the game... just like God intended.

I really love this game, and it's probably now my favorite PC game of all time...which used to be a console game. gently caress though man, everything about it is just so freaking cool.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I played as a no-spells/pyromancy tank on the console, pure str/end with a giant shield and club. So this playthrough was supposed to be my pyro/dex character, except the first Black Knight dropped his sword. Now I'm so conflicted, I've already put a few points in dex that would go to waste if I switch.

This second playthrough is also just reinforcing my love for this game. It is shockingly good, something that just shouldn't be possible in the modern video game market.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Batham posted:

This is also why I'd prefer a controller for Zelda:OOT even if I'd be able to use a mouse for it.

You do realize that Dark Souls has basically the same targeting / control system as OOT, right?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Does anyone have any recommendations for suckin' humanity with that covenant item? I'm sure I could get much better results just killing people, but that wouldn't be nearly as fun.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
"loving cuntlicking piece of poo poo XBox360 controller D-pad" kind of sums up my past two hours. Real nice to try and kill those gargoyles when you put your weapon and shield away everytime you try to switch to your estus flask.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jolan posted:

"loving cuntlicking piece of poo poo XBox360 controller D-pad" kind of sums up my past two hours. Real nice to try and kill those gargoyles when you put your weapon and shield away everytime you try to switch to your estus flask.
You're saying that you pushed down on the d-pad and it interpreted it as you pushing both left AND right at the same time? You have one hosed up controller. I've never once had a problem like that with either my 360 or PS3 controller.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Batham posted:

I have one, I simply prefer not to use over games that require you to move the camera. And yes, I do consider devil may cry 4 a 2.5D game because there is no real 3D camera control needed. This is also why I'd prefer a controller for Zelda:OOT even if I'd be able to use a mouse for it.
If both input mediums were the same, you'd have a point calling it backwards. However, they aren't. Using a thumbstick for 3D camera orientation is entirely different than using a mouse. Feel free to state that you like the thumbstick equally or more than the mouse for this. But atleast aknowledge that it is a preference and nothing more than that. Especially don't brand it as "backwards".

Would you play golf with a hockey stick? That is what you are trying to do.

tractor fanatic posted:

This was a page back, but the Black Knight shield has ridiculous fire defense; 95% is enough that you never need to worry about fire. Also it's stability is only slightly less than the Silver Knight shield and I think the weight is the same.

I got one to drop on the black knight right near the boar, so it was the first shield I found that had 100% block. Pity it needs Twinkling shards to upgrade.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 27, 2012

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
This was a page back, but the Black Knight shield has ridiculous fire defense; 95% is enough that you never need to worry about fire. Also it's stability is only slightly less than the Silver Knight shield and I think the weight is the same.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kiggles posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for suckin' humanity with that covenant item? I'm sure I could get much better results just killing people, but that wouldn't be nearly as fun.
Hope you find someone who's AFK and just keep on sucking. Bonus points if they have that infinite humanity trainer.

Doing it on a player who is actually awake and semi-competent is way trickier. You'll have to catch them while they're unaware, or knock them down and try to meaty it out of them.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Kiggles posted:

Parry and then do it.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

So I think I may have skipped the Blight Town boss. I assume it's the giant spider thing on the wall? I went through a fog gate near it and now I'm down in a swamp.

Did I miss something important here or should I just keep charging forward?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
^^^ keep going

Get naked and invade someone. Start punching them with bare fists and see if they do it too. Once they do, whip that thing out and start sucking.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lord Yod posted:

So I think I may have skipped the Blight Town boss. I assume it's the giant spider thing on the wall? I went through a fog gate near it and now I'm down in a swamp.

Did I miss something important here or should I just keep charging forward?

Forward. You haven't found the boss yet, that thing was more like an environmental obstacle.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

voltron lion force posted:

Wait... are you asking why its better or if its better? Regardless, its pretty good because it has fairly high stability for a medium shield and lots of fire resist. The Silver Knight shield is actually a little better for regular damage blocking (higher stability and less weight) but the Black Knight shield is a great all purpose shield and is usually the one I upgrade first, assuming I get it to drop early.

Sorry, I was on my phone and the auto correct was erasing words, so what I wrote wasn't entirely clear.

Looking at the pages that list the states for the shields on http://darksouls.wikidot.com/shields, I can see how the stats upgrade/compare to each other. I assume that the Black/Silver knight shields are better due to the higher stability, and that they upgrade easier?

Khobra
Jul 26, 2006

Bwahaha!
Any tips for Manus? I've gotten him to 1/4 health once but whenever he uses the spell that shoots forward I die. By the time I hit the pendant I'm dead cause it seems to happen so quickly.

Elsje
Nov 5, 2007

Jolan posted:

I am having the same problem. Often when I think I press a direction, an action bound to a different direction seems to occur. Thus, I unintentionally switch my weapon in mid-combat or consume something other than an Estus Flask, all the f-ing time. I don't know how people play games with controllers and not fail at them because of the awkward and imprecise movement. Still hoping for better M+KB support.

Sealicorn
Mar 9, 2007

Feed me that fish!
I'll grant a wish.
So I just somehow lost my entire weekend to this game and I brought a heavily invested sorcerer character up to around Anor Londo. I'm chilling out and murdering silver knights for fun and profit before trying to kill the boss here.

I have a question about sorcery in general. Is it really that viable later on, especially in new game+? I'm a bit concerned that there will be more falloff with my spells since catalysts can't really be upgraded. Seeing how pyromancy doesn't require ANYTHING in the way of stats to be viable, I'm a bit worried that I might have chosen the wrong path. Since I have about 40 INT I think would be too late to change this character anyways. I did manage to craft a moonlight butterfly horn spear at least, and the INT scaling turned things around quite a lot. Are there any other ways to get great intelligence scaling weapons or strategies involving intelligence builds? Or really any other advantages in going for intelligence/sorcery over the freebie pyromancy.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

Samurai Sanders posted:

You're saying that you pushed down on the d-pad and it interpreted it as you pushing both left AND right at the same time? You have one hosed up controller. I've never once had a problem like that with either my 360 or PS3 controller.
Yes, this happens all the time on my 360 controller as well because the loving thing is just a d-pad-shaped joystick. There's a new version of the 360 controller that has a decent d-pad but it's expensive and hard to find here in Sweden at least.

Doniazade fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 27, 2012

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

superh posted:

You do realize that Dark Souls has basically the same targeting / control system as OOT, right?

It has similarities, but what sets them most apart, is the 3D camera. Moving around in dark souls also doesn't suffer from the lack of an thumb-stick because your character can turn around it's axis without having to take a step or two. Other various reason for movement to be fine on the keyboard is that forward is where the camera is aiming at, along with the ability to walk. They might be minor details, but they help with what sets it apart from being keyboard friendly or not.

The only real thing a keyboard isn't suited for in this game, is it's interface. Both the menu's and the button indicators are a disaster on the keyboard.

I've never said it's the best control option, but it's far more doable than most of you make it out to be. I'm not saying using a control is wrong by any stretch, but I'm saying that my preference works out just fine. I'd hate be near some of you guys when you hear someone likes sprouts while you don't.

Batham fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 27, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I can see how wrong inputs would be a problem with the 360 D-pad in platformers or a fighting game or something, but I've literally never had it happen in Dark Souls.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

appletonoutcast posted:

Sorry, I was on my phone and the auto correct was erasing words, so what I wrote wasn't entirely clear.

Looking at the pages that list the states for the shields on http://darksouls.wikidot.com/shields, I can see how the stats upgrade/compare to each other. I assume that the Black/Silver knight shields are better due to the higher stability, and that they upgrade easier?

Stability is a percentage stat. Specifically, the number of stability determines how much damage is completely blocked and how much of it translates to stamina damage. Let's say you have a shield with 66 stability, that means that you block 66% of the attack, but the other 33.3333333% of the attack damages your stamina bar. Either way, higher stability is much better, lower is much worse. This is what makes all three knight dropped shields (Balder, Black, Silver) so good, since once they're upgraded you're sitting on 74-76 stability. This is also what makes greatshields good.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sealicorn posted:

So I just somehow lost my entire weekend to this game and I brought a heavily invested sorcerer character up to around Anor Londo. I'm chilling out and murdering silver knights for fun and profit before trying to kill the boss here.

I have a question about sorcery in general. Is it really that viable later on, especially in new game+? I'm a bit concerned that there will be more falloff with my spells since catalysts can't really be upgraded. Seeing how pyromancy doesn't require ANYTHING in the way of stats to be viable, I'm a bit worried that I might have chosen the wrong path. Since I have about 40 INT I think would be too late to change this character anyways. I did manage to craft a moonlight butterfly horn spear at least, and the INT scaling turned things around quite a lot. Are there any other ways to get great intelligence scaling weapons or strategies involving intelligence builds? Or really any other advantages in going for intelligence/sorcery over the freebie pyromancy.

Well on the one hand sorcerys got nerfed a bit in this latest version. On the other hand they are still really good for PvE and will definitely scale into NG+. What you're gonna want is the items that boost spell damage the Crown of Dusk and the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring so keep an eye out for them. Also you're at a point in the game where your spells probably feel a little weak. Once you get to a later area Duke's Archives you'll be able to buy the end game level spells and your damage will shoot up. As far as INT weapons go, there is one very good sword that can be gotten by cutting off a certain boss's tail Moonlight Greatsword from Seath the Scaleless so do that whenever you can. Finally, one big advantage INT characters have is they have access to powerful weapon buffs. Its a good idea to keep a fast, upgraded, normal weapon around for buffing purposes. DEX/INT builds are popular for this reason.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 27, 2012

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sometimes it registers as left, sometimes as right. The D-pad is terrible, but it doesn't give me nearly as much trouble in any other game. And even with a high-end video card I still can't get the graphics to look like anything but rear end.

And how do you quit the game without having to wait for those dumb splash-screens to pass again? It's a great game, but the technical difficulties are making me regret ever buying it. Such a terrible port.

Elsje posted:

I don't know how people play games with controllers and not fail at them because of the awkward and imprecise movement. Still hoping for better M+KB support.

Because Demon's Souls was a PS3 game, and those controllers have a D-pad that's actually worth something. But good luck getting a PS3 controller to work properly in Windows.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 27, 2012

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

Jolan posted:

And how do you quit the game without having to wait for those dumb splash-screens to pass again? It's a great game, but the technical difficulties are making me regret ever buying it. Such a terrible port.
Just Alt+F4 once the "Checking save files..." dialogue closes and the dev logos start to appear.

Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008

Khobra posted:

Any tips for Manus? I've gotten him to 1/4 health once but whenever he uses the spell that shoots forward I die. By the time I hit the pendant I'm dead cause it seems to happen so quickly.

I roll to the side, I take a little bit of damage, but I get out of it. I can never get the pendant to work for that attack unless I'm a good distance away.

Aug
Sep 8, 2004

Got Smuff?
What is the deal with all the hate on the controller? If you're having difficulties, try getting a new controller. One that hasn't been beat to poo poo over the years.

I'm just loving glad that I don't have the stupid loving input lag bug that would make me drink a flask, then go to attack and drink a second flask.

Aug fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 27, 2012

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon

Jolan posted:

good luck getting a PS3 controller to work properly in Windows.
Motion allows use of a PS3 gamepad with windows and it has an emulator for the 360 controller.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Khobra posted:

It's probably not even worth trying to pendant the forward attack. Easier to just dodge to the side when you see it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Khobra posted:

Try and stay just a little bit away when you're not attacking. He doesn't like to be far away from you, so if he's content to just sit around while you back away he's probably preparing to shoot spells. His AI changes too to use spells more aggressively when he gets low (this may be false but I've fought him a couple times and it seems true).

• Locked thread