Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Randalor posted:

Well, to be fair, it would be more like a bank manager walking up to you, giving you back some money from a bank error, and accidentally handing you the keys to the vault with everything else.
You'd still go to jail for then using the keys to go and take money from the vault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It's more like ordering a hotdog but getting two hotdogs, and as you start eating the second hotdog, your stomach starts to get upset, so you try and give the hotdog back, but the vendor refuses (because there's a bite mark in it, already) and asks for you to pay for it, but you didn't even want it in the first place. After some browbeating, you finally reach for your wallet, but all you have is a $50 bill and the vendor has a policy of not accepting anything higher than a $20. Then a car suddenly hops the curb and kills both of you.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

You'd still go to jail for then using the keys to go and take money from the vault.

Oh, very true, I was just posting a better analogy than what anticake said. After all, it's not that the item was hacked or anything like that, it was given to them by a GM. Really, I think after the first time they tested it out, realized that its ability WASN'T a joke, they should have contacted Blizzard. Not "Durr, this is funny! Let's keep using it!"

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's more like ordering a hotdog but getting two hotdogs, and as you start eating the second hotdog, your stomach starts to get upset, so you try and give the hotdog back, but the vendor refuses (because there's a bite mark in it, already) and asks for you to pay for it, but you didn't even want it in the first place. After some browbeating, you finally reach for your wallet, but all you have is a $50 bill and the vendor has a policy of not accepting anything higher than a $20. Then a car suddenly hops the curb and kills both of you.

No, see, it's like, you're getting a hot dog, but there are four hotdog vendors on the edge of a cliff

Blizzard administration works the same way.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Has there ever been a video game with an ambitious secret thing that 90% of the population will never see, like Stop n' Swop, only actually completed and released? I've certainly heard lots of crazy rumors, but I'd like to hear about the true ones.

... and I wonder how many secrets there are out there in games, that have just been yet unfound. Are there any still open, unsolved secrets from developers who have confirmed their existence?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The secret garden in Shadow of the Colossus, and the hidden room in the warden's office in Arkham Asylum are probably the two craziest things I can think of in a game from the last ten years, just off the top of my head.

Arkham Asylum's hidden room isn't even that special, to be fair, it's just that they managed to keep it a secret for as long as they did.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Suspicious Dish posted:

Has there ever been a video game with an ambitious secret thing that 90% of the population will never see, like Stop n' Swop, only actually completed and released? I've certainly heard lots of crazy rumors, but I'd like to hear about the true ones.

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron on the N64 came out in 1998 and it had the Naboo starfighter as a hidden vehicle. Nobody discovered it until they released a code to unlock it when Episode I hit theaters the following year.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

... and I wonder how many secrets there are out there in games, that have just been yet unfound. Are there any still open, unsolved secrets from developers who have confirmed their existence?

I believe Itagaki once said some huge, game-changing secret could be found in either DoA 4 or one of the volleyball games, I forget which. But he's also Itagaki, so he's probably full of poo poo.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Farbtoner posted:

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron on the N64 came out in 1998 and it had the Naboo starfighter as a hidden vehicle. Nobody discovered it until they released a code to unlock it when Episode I hit theaters the following year.

Similarly, the Gamecube sequel had the Jedi Starfighter from Episode II hidden away in it, and I believe all three games had a flying Buick. I wanna say the third game had a secret tie-in to Episode III as well but I forget what it is.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

There's an extremely interesting video game hoax and/or urban legend being born, live, right over in GBS.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

As recently as a few months ago, Seth Killian from Capcom has been swearing that both Mega Man 9 and 10 have a secret yet to be found by anyone.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

InShaneee posted:

As recently as a few months ago, Seth Killian from Capcom has been swearing that both Mega Man 9 and 10 have a secret yet to be found by anyone.

And didn't he step down? So I guess someone should ask him now that there's no reason to hide them.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

There's an extremely interesting video game hoax and/or urban legend being born, live, right over in GBS.
That game looks to be a rip-off of Alter Ego, which I first played on my C64. It's fun and not especially hoax-y or legend-y.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

And that's when you turned into hyperrealistic skeletons on someone's TV screen.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oh, so it's not actually a real game? I didn't actually follow that thread past the first couple pages so I don't know if this got more obvious later on. I just assumed he was doing a LP of a game like Alter Ego that Hirayuki mentioned above. I've heard that Alter Ego itself isn't really "scary", but it is pretty cruel to the player and a great game to play if you just want to feel really bad about yourself for reasons you can't identify. Kind of like if Pathologic was all text based.

Regarding "moments", if the screenshots are faked they're pretty well done (Although if you had a C64 lying around I suppose you could pretty easily just type a bunch of stuff into a text editor and take a picture of that).

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Super Rad posted:

Ugh, what bugs me about that article is all the spergs gloating over the bans Blizzard handed out over their own fuckup. I guess it's technically a violation of the incredibly open ended EULA (who the gently caress even reads through one of those they are intentionally verbose), but it doesn't even sound like they were using it in a malicious / game breaking way. They just used it.

A page back, but Blizzard gets touchy when you glitch world firsts. It probably wouldn't have been a big deal if not for that.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

anticake posted:

They tried to play it cool and act like nothing was up and that they were actually pulling off that poo poo for real. Blizzard takes their raiding game overly serious for some reason. If they had just said 'Hey we got this item by accident here is us clearing Ulduar in 10 minutes flat to Yakkety Sax' they probably wouldn't have gotten the bans. It all comes down to intent.

Something like if someone hands you a suitcase full of stolen money on the street and you keep it it is a crime, if you turn it in it is not a crime.

I'm not necessarily defending these guys, certainly they DID breach the EULA by doing something Blizzard considers "against the spirit of the game."

But there are a few things that mitigate their breach.

a) The item was awarded to them when Blizzard hosed up and did not resolve an account hacking for 4 months, so there is a plausible element of "Blizzard did it on purpose to make up for bad customer service"

b) The item wouldn't work indefinitely, it had 100 charges, of which they used 14 before being banned

These folks paid Blizzard a monthly fee for a product and customer service, and this entire situation arose out of 2 customer service gaffes by Blizzard.

I just feel the appropriate response would have been to delete all of the achievements they earned and maybe lock them out for a week, this probably would have taken more effort but seeing as this whole problem was cause by Blizzard being lazy TWICE it would have been nice to see Blizzard own up to their errors.

While I appreciate the "briefcase full of money" analogy - here's a better analogy - you're at a Chuck-e Cheese and one of the machines eats your token. After a lot of complaining you finally get a free token from the counter but it's actually a magic token that gives credits but always pops out the coin return. Sure it's illegal to abuse that token, but you're just trying to play some loving skeeball, not steal millions.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think it's one of those situations where everyone screwed up and nobody walked away happy. Blizzard was within their rights to ban them because the EULA basically allows them to ban people at will for no reason (though obviously it's very poor customer service to do so), but yeah it does kind of seem like taking the easy way out rather than going to the trouble to reset the various achievements associated with the dungeon. I guess resetting the "World first" flags on the server might be difficult to do since they probably didn't ever think they'd need to.

The item itself is obviously not something meant to be used by players and certainly not to achieve world firsts in raid dungeons, so it's not really one of those things where people can say "Well we didn't know we were exploiting!" That might fly if you find some spot on the terrain where you can't get hit by a big AoE attack since depending on the graphical design it might actually look like an intended feature, but making the boss die instantly with no effort is clearly not.

It's basically "Blizzard screws up which leads a player to exploit which leads Blizzard to overreact". Yeah I don't know why everyone takes raiding so seriously either.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's basically "Blizzard screws up which leads a player to exploit which leads Blizzard to overreact". Yeah I don't know why everyone takes raiding so seriously either.

Them overreacting on this stuff, plus the whole bot lawsuit, makes me wonder how badly the real money auctionhouse in D3 has the potential to blow up. :allears:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
They're not exactly an urban legend, more like cut content, but the Burrows from the first Fallout game amuse me with how wierd and out of place they would have been if they'd been included in the game.

Mutated, super intelligent, talking racoons. In Fallout. :stare:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Burrows

They look so goofy, it never fails to make me laugh - they look like rejected D&D monsters, it's probably for the best that they got cut.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OldMemes posted:

They're not exactly an urban legend, more like cut content, but the Burrows from the first Fallout game amuse me with how wierd and out of place they would have been if they'd been included in the game.

Mutated, super intelligent, talking racoons. In Fallout. :stare:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Burrows

They look so goofy, it never fails to make me laugh - they look like rejected D&D monsters, it's probably for the best that they got cut.

I don't know. That seems to fit in pretty well with the general Fallout atmosphere. Well, maybe more Fallout 2 than Fallout 1.

I'm surprised there haven't been more urban legends about the Fallout games actually. Someone posted a story about it earlier but that was written for this thread I think? There's so much weird stuff in those games that you could describe pretty much anything as some weird thing you stumbled across as a random event and it would seem pretty plausible (well, until you get to the part about the blood soaked photorealistic skeletons of your family anyway), and they came out right around the golden age of internet rumours, where there was just enough internet available for people to tell crazy stories with no verification but not enough internet that you could easily just look it up and see that it was a hoax.

I guess part of it is that a lot of rumours are generated by kids, and Fallout is more of an adult series (and not so controversial as to make kids want to play it a-la Mortal Kombat, even if "Bloody mess" is pretty gory).

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Unless I miss my guess here, that is literally what they are (Sort of).

In a setting called Gamma World, the world has ended and its all nuclear-post apoc style stuff. Its also got a race of intelligent badgermen.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Oh, so it's not actually a real game? I didn't actually follow that thread past the first couple pages so I don't know if this got more obvious later on. I just assumed he was doing a LP of a game like Alter Ego that Hirayuki mentioned above. I've heard that Alter Ego itself isn't really "scary", but it is pretty cruel to the player and a great game to play if you just want to feel really bad about yourself for reasons you can't identify. Kind of like if Pathologic was all text based.

Regarding "moments", if the screenshots are faked they're pretty well done (Although if you had a C64 lying around I suppose you could pretty easily just type a bunch of stuff into a text editor and take a picture of that).

Googling for "Retribution Games", they look like a real company that has made several more games. Unless someone is very dedicated.

Anyway, thanks people for all that info! I'm researching it now, really cool to learn.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Suspicious Dish posted:

Googling for "Retribution Games", they look like a real company that has made several more games. Unless someone is very dedicated.

Anyway, thanks people for all that info! I'm researching it now, really cool to learn.

Except that the "Retribution Games" website is associated with two other things: The Quandary texture pack for Minecraft, and the "Divided We Stand" game that is pretty popular amongst goons. Pretty sure that it's fake. Nice touch, but fake nonetheless.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Aha. I didn't Google enough. Thanks!

So it's a cleverly hidden CYOA thread?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Aha. I didn't Google enough. Thanks!

So it's a cleverly hidden CYOA thread?

It seems like it. I literally just started reading it, myself. Pretty brilliant stuff.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

It gets more obvious as it goes on, especially if you pay close attention to the supposed release date of the game

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

It gets more obvious as it goes on, especially if you pay close attention to the supposed release date of the game

Not to be dense, but what's so important about the thing you spoilered out?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Neito posted:

Not to be dense, but what's so important about the thing you spoilered out?

Well, the game is supposed to be from 1982, but makes numerous references to hip-hop and rock albums that didn't come out for several more years.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know. That seems to fit in pretty well with the general Fallout atmosphere. Well, maybe more Fallout 2 than Fallout 1.

I'm surprised there haven't been more urban legends about the Fallout games actually. Someone posted a story about it earlier but that was written for this thread I think? There's so much weird stuff in those games that you could describe pretty much anything as some weird thing you stumbled across as a random event and it would seem pretty plausible (well, until you get to the part about the blood soaked photorealistic skeletons of your family anyway), and they came out right around the golden age of internet rumours, where there was just enough internet available for people to tell crazy stories with no verification but not enough internet that you could easily just look it up and see that it was a hoax.

I guess part of it is that a lot of rumours are generated by kids, and Fallout is more of an adult series (and not so controversial as to make kids want to play it a-la Mortal Kombat, even if "Bloody mess" is pretty gory).
There was a really dumb hoax hovering around Fallout 3 for a while, but I don't think that counts.

this web page sorta covers it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

YggiDee posted:

Well, the game is supposed to be from 1982, but makes numerous references to hip-hop and rock albums that didn't come out for several more years.

Ah. I kinda figured it was one of those scenarios, but couldn't puzzle it out. Non-geek pop culture before about 2000 is a weak spot of mine.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Spoilering this in order to not ruin anyone's reading of "Moments".

I think "Moments" is an actual game, made by the OP. He then pretends it's from 1982.

At least that's the impression I got from things said in the thread. Supposedly it'll be made available to the readers once the ongoing game ends.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

There was a really dumb hoax hovering around Fallout 3 for a while, but I don't think that counts.

:lol: I forgot all about 'This shed new doubt on the official version of the Lincoln assassination.'

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's cheesy, but at least it's something that is somewhat creepy, due to the fact that it's believeable. Do I believe that the creators snuck it in in a patch later on as an easter egg? Of course not, but it's not impossible. If it ended with "And then it showed all my family dead!" then that's flat out impossible, and is just sad.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Suspicious Dish posted:

There's supposedly something in Mega Man 9 that a developer refuses to reveal (and it isn't any of the already discovered content).

If you want one that everyone knows about but only a limited number of people actually cared about, try the hidden stars in Braid. One of them takes well over an hour to get, and one can't be completed if you gently caress up World 3.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

With the internet if one guy discovers it everyone will find out. The Dark Souls community is really good about this stuff; the wikis are obsessively updated and people find out everything, especially for a game that doesn't tell you poo poo. There was an item that gave a boost to spell damage but doesn't actually tell you and people figured it out, people have figured out the damage formulas for every weapon and have designed spreadsheets that can calculate which weapon is best for you based on your stats. There's an item you can choose to start the game with (The Pendant) that the developer says "was very important" but people still have no idea what it does.

The game is full of stuff many players will never see, too. There are "Covenants" that are like clans that give you bonuses if you play a certain way. One of them is at the bottom of an optional dungeon that is just a series of branches in a giant tree you jump down. if you miss a branch you fall to the bottom and die. There's nothing to suggest you should go there. The dungeon is hidden behind TWO illusory walls in an area that is a giant swamp filled with poison that discourages exploration. You can offer the covenant a rare Dragon Scale - I got about 6 playing through the game normally, it's pretty hard to find them. If you offer the covenant 30 scales you can turn into a dragon.

Even though this stuff is well documented online, players will never find it if they don't check wikis and guides and even if you know about it you probably won't go all the way.

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!

Woebin posted:

Spoilering this in order to not ruin anyone's reading of "Moments".

I think "Moments" is an actual game, made by the OP. He then pretends it's from 1982.

At least that's the impression I got from things said in the thread. Supposedly it'll be made available to the readers once the ongoing game ends.

I'm pretty sure that he's riffing off of Alter Ego (http://www.playalterego.com/alterego) and giving it an 80s look. I'm not following the thread so I can't say for sure but that's what I thought when I first checked it out.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

With the internet if one guy discovers it everyone will find out. The Dark Souls community is really good about this stuff; the wikis are obsessively updated and people find out everything, especially for a game that doesn't tell you poo poo. There was an item that gave a boost to spell damage but doesn't actually tell you and people figured it out, people have figured out the damage formulas for every weapon and have designed spreadsheets that can calculate which weapon is best for you based on your stats. There's an item you can choose to start the game with (The Pendant) that the developer says "was very important" but people still have no idea what it does.

The guy behind those claims is kind of a troll too. He's always saying poo poo that doesn't make sense, or teasing at features that may or may not have been removed from the game.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Randalor posted:

It's cheesy, but at least it's something that is somewhat creepy, due to the fact that it's believeable. Do I believe that the creators snuck it in in a patch later on as an easter egg? Of course not, but it's not impossible. If it ended with "And then it showed all my family dead!" then that's flat out impossible, and is just sad.

Yeah, there's the germ of a good story in there- GNR turning into a numbers station and delivering creepy coded messages under incredibly specific circumstances is a fairly plausible Easter egg and something I could see Bethesda doing. Unfortunately, they didn't actually have any cool or interesting places to take the idea, so they just borrowed the plot of a Nicholas Cage movie instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

There's supposedly something in Mega Man 9 that a developer refuses to reveal (and it isn't any of the already discovered content).

If you want one that everyone knows about but only a limited number of people actually cared about, try the hidden stars in Braid. One of them takes well over an hour to get, and one can't be completed if you gently caress up World 3.

"gently caress up", in this case, meaning "complete".