Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

By the way, here's a list of every single VGS clip for every voice pack.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2176501/TASounds/VGS/index.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

How much is custom server ownership, anyway?

1200 gold for 90 days.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I thought I was in Minecraft Mode, I guess not :stare:

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Why do people choose minecraft mode? Is it just so they don't get that framerate loss if it ever happens? Is it that important to some?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Xenoletum posted:

Why do people choose minecraft mode? Is it just so they don't get that framerate loss if it ever happens? Is it that important to some?

Pro dudes need >120 fps constantly to keep their chain up to par. Hell, a bunch of them still use CRT. Or, they think they need those things. YMMV.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Isn't that Slamurai server still up? Last I checked, that was in fact the official goon server (that nobody ever went on).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Isn't that Slamurai server still up? Last I checked, that was in fact the official goon server (that nobody ever went on).

Not sure. HiRez was giving all the teams boatloads of free gold for servers back in the day. It could still be there if they got some.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If the game was properly optimized I could reach and maintain a quite stable 100+ fps on a 120hz monitor, but I wouldn't do any better in the game than I do now and I run the ugliest config of 150+ fps on maps in solo roaming, I'm lucky to hit 75 online with other players because :hirez:

But it helps. Framerate loss at the wrong moment, like busy combat, means you're dead. Fighting against opponents with bad machines on high visual quality configs = I win because I have the advantage. Same in every game that can be played looking great or looking terrible but performing with superb framerates (BF3, APB, etc). I've often won nasty fights against all odds thanks to high fps configs in games.

My minecraft config results in a far uglier looking game than http://www.twitch.tv/voss423/b/330183729 (bike video posted as last reply on the previous page, .gif that poo poo), but it runs like a dream.

e: Not wanting to get back into pro-gaming, I just want a game that performs well. Most modern part of my computer is the Intel X25-V 40gb SSD.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 28, 2012

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
I guess I just don't get competitive gaming as such. I know people do the same thing in SC2 and Warcraft 3, possibly in WoW arena tournaments and other games as such, but I never really understood it. It just seems like too much stress for so little reward, as the ability to get picked up professionally is slim, or so it seems.

I have a friend who gets stress headaches from just playing 2 or 3 rounds of CTF because of all of the computing going on in his head on what to do. I get frustrated at losses and being stomped way too easily in any way/shape/form to even think about ladder/competitive. I still have 49 unplayed practice matches in SC2 because I stand no chance against most of the pool.

On topic: I got 4 straight Hot Airs today thanks to my lovely new plasma cannon.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Dayne posted:

There's 3 things that piss me off when I do that. One are JUGs shelling the flag stand. The second is BRTs coming up and spamming fractals on the flag stand. And the last is when my own retarded team members (usually SENs) place their claymores or mines right by the flag so one disc from the incoming PTH will detonate everything on the entire stand.

People trying to kill you is just the cost of doing business, the thing I can't stand is when my light/medium teammates steal all the ammo drops from dead pathfinders, so I can't replace my mines. You fired off one goddamn thumper, don't make me haul my fat rear end off the flagstand to replace my mines.

leethasbro
Apr 11, 2005

Rat Enthusiast
Got randomly matched with Deathpump and someone else earlier. Good couple of rounds lots of fun. (I'm Gerf2000)

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

leethasbro posted:

Got randomly matched with Deathpump and someone else earlier. Good couple of rounds lots of fun. (I'm Gerf2000)

That was probably me.

I tend to find Deathpump and inevitably end up murdering him (MOST of the time) - since the silly bastard plays Blood Eagle.
PSH!

I'm in loving LOVE with the technician.

Turrets that pick up stray kills around base, while I run endless offensive raids on the enemy. That is unless we're under attack at any constant speed, in which case I practice airmailing lights.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 28, 2012

leethasbro
Apr 11, 2005

Rat Enthusiast
Yep that was you, carried us in that first match. After you left I got a lucky 5th cap to win the second.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

DarkDobe posted:

That was probably me.

I tend to find Deathpump and inevitably end up murdering him (MOST of the time) - since the silly bastard plays Blood Eagle.
PSH!

I'm in loving LOVE with the technician.

Turrets that pick up stray kills around base, while I run endless offensive raids on the enemy. That is unless we're under attack at any constant speed, in which case I practice airmailing lights.
I'll take that as a compliment. Getting more blue plates but still sucking

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

LuiCypher posted:

Is it just me, or does the Doombringer destroy pubs? Compared to the videos above, it certainly seems like Doombringer is a class that everyone would point to and say that it takes "no skill" to play, but it's been my experience that Doombringers (or lack thereof) can make or break a team on pub servers.

That being said, I love bringing the fat onto the flag. There is something satisfying about watching a pathfinder trying to cap and clear the flag pad while you shoot him, take the disc to the face, and watch him blow up on the mine you just ate that disc for.
I find that really depends on the level of the pub. In some pubs the entire enemy team just decides to randomly deathmatch around our flagstand. If there's too much pressure on the stand to play HoF then I just wont bother; either I'm shutting down cappers while hosing the deathmatching goofs, or I'm stuck hosing goofs full-time which is pointless. I'll just switch classes and chase down cappers instead.

The only difference I've observed between all-bronze and all-silver ranked games is that players stop themselves before llamaing the flag off the stand; they just do really lovely grabs instead. And every once in a while someone will decide not to trundle over to you and return the flag back to the stand (which is still swarming with hostiles.)

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

three turrets? I think it confused my inventory station for a turret? also the TC24 sucks but I can really reliably get a couple of airmails/match with it. hope it gets buffed soon.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

padijun posted:

three turrets? I think it confused my inventory station for a turret?

Getting your turrets or motion sensors/repair kits is what causes most of those fuckups, at least to me.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

If the game was properly optimized I could reach and maintain a quite stable 100+ fps on a 120hz monitor, but I wouldn't do any better in the game than I do now and I run the ugliest config of 150+ fps on maps in solo roaming, I'm lucky to hit 75 online with other players because :hirez:

But it helps. Framerate loss at the wrong moment, like busy combat, means you're dead. Fighting against opponents with bad machines on high visual quality configs = I win because I have the advantage. Same in every game that can be played looking great or looking terrible but performing with superb framerates (BF3, APB, etc). I've often won nasty fights against all odds thanks to high fps configs in games.

My minecraft config results in a far uglier looking game than http://www.twitch.tv/voss423/b/330183729 (bike video posted as last reply on the previous page, .gif that poo poo), but it runs like a dream.

e: Not wanting to get back into pro-gaming, I just want a game that performs well. Most modern part of my computer is the Intel X25-V 40gb SSD.

The ancient Tribes 1 looked better then this on my 10+ years older and that much weaker computer and still had playable framerates. Maybe you just have too much stuff running in the background or something? I don't know but I would spinfusor myself in the face if I had to look at that for any longer then the video you posted.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Twenty Four posted:

The ancient Tribes 1 looked better then this on my 10+ years older and that much weaker computer and still had playable framerates. Maybe you just have too much stuff running in the background or something? I don't know but I would spinfusor myself in the face if I had to look at that for any longer then the video you posted.

That video? It looks real good compared to mine (got no problem spotting enemies despite the darkness):

And this is kinda what Quake 3 looked like for me (that and Quake 2 = the start of the FPS hunt):

Quake 3 framerates gave you a physics engine advantage, 77-125 up to 333 stable and you'd actually break it, make impossible jumps, not so much in this. I'll increase my graphical quality after I build a new computer that isn't losing one component to old age every week :v:

Different strokes etc - got a friend who took a loan to build a dual Radeon 6990 + Intel X processor machine for BF3 because he cannot stand less than top possible detail and as high as possible treatment for the image, aliasing and filtering.

\/\/\/ it's cool <3

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 28, 2012

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I appologize, I wasn't meaning to start anything, my computer is nothing special (budget gaming rig a few years old) and I played Quake 2 and 3 as well but those screenshots are... wow! Different strokes is right like you said. You are correct that framerates are an advantage, but I would rather lose a few frames and enjoy the scenery as long as it is comfortably playable. I go for the happy medium I guess. I do remember when the frames you could get actually limited how fast you could go and where you could jump to back in the Quake days, that was good times.

Derail aside, I am noticing that pub CTF Blitz games are going faster as people are figuring it out. Not that they are "fast" but overtime isn't as typical. It's still a turtlefest, but it makes playing Raider (as I tend to do) pretty great.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

MrLonghair posted:

That video? It looks real good compared to mine (got no problem spotting enemies despite the darkness):

How did you make your background all blocky? Is it a combination of different settings or are there a couple of ini tweaks I could use to get just that effect? That would be so perfect for mortar ranging!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

How did you make your background all blocky? Is it a combination of different settings or are there a couple of ini tweaks I could use to get just that effect? That would be so perfect for mortar ranging!

Emphasis the reason I stick with it :v:

Not sure any longer what command that was but here's the whole shebang for my tribes.cfg http://pastebin.com/8J9LBKr1

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Sanctum posted:

I find that really depends on the level of the pub. In some pubs the entire enemy team just decides to randomly deathmatch around our flagstand. If there's too much pressure on the stand to play HoF then I just wont bother; either I'm shutting down cappers while hosing the deathmatching goofs, or I'm stuck hosing goofs full-time which is pointless. I'll just switch classes and chase down cappers instead.

The only difference I've observed between all-bronze and all-silver ranked games is that players stop themselves before llamaing the flag off the stand; they just do really lovely grabs instead. And every once in a while someone will decide not to trundle over to you and return the flag back to the stand (which is still swarming with hostiles.)

I have seen some really bad pub doombringers. I'm sure you know what they look like - they're the ones that think they are chasers. I don't know whether I should laugh or cry when I see it. I especially enjoy it when they put up force fields while their generator is a smoking cinder.

That being said, that team had one more doombringer than mine. I spent the match playing Brute just to see what it was like and have fun. [insert lame disco joke here] Unfortunately, the rest of my team spent the match not guarding the flag so despite the fact that I was having the time of my life baiting the enemy into protecting the generator and not the flag (some very wise players soon started playing for the other team and rightfully said "gently caress the generator, the enemy can't guard their flag worth poo poo"), we lost 3 to 5. I probably should've switched to Doombringer once the enemy stopped trying to set up three turrets in a broken generator room, but I wanted to level up Brute a bit and have some fun.

I felt bad for our Pathfinders. They did a bang-up job getting the enemy flag, but our defense just wasn't there (though I did get to kill the enemy flag carrier twice because he thought he was safe standing still in his own backfield with a very angry Brute).

Pubs: sometimes they're good, sometimes they're bad. Just hope you get a mix of competent people.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Every match of Permafrost so far has just been plain awful for me, win or lose. The design just inherently results in a boring clusterfuck of turrets and fractals and indoor combat. On a public server people are even less likely to work together and the design encourages the team to basically sit and guard their gen when of course the only way to be successful is to have a group strike their gen together. When you force indoor combat in this kind of a game you are making a serious mistake. Besides the stalemates the worst part about it is that I don't find the skiing fun (and I play pathfinder almost exclusively). You don't have many interesting choices to make on the map in regards to how you ski except for some really sparse areas behind the bases that you might end up dueling around. As far as combat goes the entire middle section of the map is just bland IMO and god forbid the other team has a halfway competent shrike pilot...

Either way I'm just glad that I am coming along enough to finally have complaints ;). I usually have the sound turned way down and an album playing so I don't hang out in the mumble but I would like to get back into the Goon Way Of Things soon.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 28, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Blitz should be naked spawn. Or at least PTH//SLD/JUG. Actually, all of the modes except Arena should be naked spawn.

Thanks for the ini, MrLonghair!! I'll have to parse through it when I get home. I'll post the results for any Juggheads out there.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Blitz should be naked spawn. Or at least PTH//SLD/JUG. Actually, all of the modes except Arena should be naked spawn.

Thanks for the ini, MrLonghair!! I'll have to parse through it when I get home. I'll post the results for any Juggheads out there.

I did enjoy that when I played Tribes 2 briefly so many years ago - there was a definite incentive to keep the generator up because not only did player-deployed devices rely on it, but so did being able to suit up with your equipment of choice. It is a little more compelling that "unless you destroy the generator, getting this flag is going to be a clusterfuck. Hell, destroying this generator is going to be a clusterfuck. In fact, this is just a clusterfuck."

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007
Yeah, I tried permafrost a few times, but I just d/c when it comes up in rotation now. The last round I played both teams had 13 people playing tech/brute/doom and 2 trying to cap. You can sometimes get lucky with speed boost as pathfinder or jamming as a raider and cap the flag, but it still took forever.

And I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right, the whole map is boring. Outdoors you have basically 3 options for skiing between bases, and indoors is just the 1st floor death box and the 2nd floor deathbox.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I foresee Permafrost getting the Bella Omega treatment. I love the concept behind the map, but the execution loving sucks. It wouldn't take much to make the map great, the bases just need to be larger and the terrain needs to be dialed down a bit.

I love that they're trying to make the generator actually matter, but tucking it away makes the flag impossible to grab, because that fucker is not going down. Yes, destroying the gen makes the flag easier to acquire, but putting that generator in a stupid alcove like that means the defense just has to chuck a few fractals and put a force field in front of the generator to keep it safe and then both sides just hang out at their own base with their thumbs up their asses the entire match. When the generator is up the flag is more or less completely inaccessible, unlike Sunstar where you still have a shot at the flag, you just can't rain mortars on the stand.

The base layout encourages turtling, it needs to be bigger. Exposing the generator or losing the walls in front of the entrances would be nice. The secondary option for grabbing the flag (gens up) should be more difficult to grab, not flat out loving impossible, given how often the generator is going to remain active. Add the distance between the two bases, the fact that whatever technician you splattered is already repairing the gen, then upgrading it before you're even halfway to their base, and you've got a map where nothing ever happens, ever.

Tl;dr: Permafrost is too big, the bases are too small, everyone turtles.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

sitchelin posted:

Tl;dr: Permafrost is too big, the bases are too small, everyone turtles.

I've said it before (on this page even) and I'll say it again a thousand times: if they want to make the gen important, you don't do gimmicky bullshit with the flag, you <nerdrage>HAVE loving NAKED SPAWN AND POWERED DEPLOYABLES LIKE EVERY TRIBES GAME EVER!!!!111</nerdrage>

I was thinking of making a custom server with T1 rules like that, but I don't know if anyone would play, so what's the point?

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
I played a couple rounds of naked spawn back when they first implemented it with custom servers. It seemed to work alright, the pace was a bit slower but mostly the same. I think the problem people had with it is that the gen room and inv stations can be camped pretty easily with the weapons the game has now. Another problem I could see is that if your chasers/snipers get killed with relative good timing there is no way you will ever stop a capper.

I didn't play the old tribes so I don't know if that's acceptable punishment for getting cleared in other people's eyes. It seems from what I read that it was easier to chase in old tribes, so maybe it was possible to make a save even if you got cleared, but with the speed of caps in this version I would think naked spawn would be pretty devastating for defenses.

I've seen the idea thrown out to have you spawn in the class you want when the gen is up, which I think could be a good compromise to make the gen important, but it would still need to be combined with some changes to inv locations, weapons, and maybe base interiors on some maps which let's face it probably won't happen.

e;\/\/\/ Oh yeah I forgot about health regen too, that may be the biggest difference that makes it not work in this version.

HyperPuma fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 28, 2012

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

I've said it before (on this page even) and I'll say it again a thousand times: if they want to make the gen important, you don't do gimmicky bullshit with the flag, you <nerdrage>HAVE loving NAKED SPAWN AND POWERED DEPLOYABLES LIKE EVERY TRIBES GAME EVER!!!!111</nerdrage>

first, this would kill any and all interest from new players. there are a lot of things that worked in '98-'04 that will just seem confusing and dated to someone who didn't play "real" tribes.

second, health regeneration is still in the game, so good luck taking out those two 2800 health looter brutes as a swarm of naked PFs. it would be like L4D with jetpacks for those guys.

I think sunstar is pretty much the best example of a generator that matters, but since most cappers still do side to sides (in pubs anyway) it only matters for keeping mortars off the stand/hof.

I do like the idea of going back to shielded base assets though.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

LuiCypher posted:

I especially enjoy it when they put up force fields while their generator is a smoking cinder.

This is worth doing for those rare moments when the gen comes up exactly a second before a capper comes in and you get a hilarious bug zap.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

GrumpyDoctor posted:

This is worth doing for those rare moments when the gen comes up exactly a second before a capper comes in and you get a hilarious bug zap.

Unfortunately, pubs aren't that coordinated.

That being said, if I saw it I wouldn't hesitate to laugh and say "Well played, sir. Well played".

padijun posted:

second, health regeneration is still in the game, so good luck taking out those two 2800 health looter brutes as a swarm of naked PFs. it would be like L4D with jetpacks for those guys.

I do like the idea of going back to shielded base assets though.

It would be a never-ending disco party in the generator room for those chums. It's safe to say then that the game is not balanced for naked spawning?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

LuiCypher posted:

It would be a never-ending disco party in the generator room for those chums. It's safe to say then that the game is not balanced for naked spawning?

How about making naked spawn players not drop the "pellets" on death?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

LuiCypher posted:

Unfortunately, pubs aren't that coordinated.

That being said, if I saw it I wouldn't hesitate to laugh and say "Well played, sir. Well played".

Well it never happens intentionally, but I saw it happen accidentally once. I was the HoF. It was great.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LuiCypher posted:

Stupid insane idea. What if people who naked spawned, didn't drop ammo when they died?

fake edit: Oh wait, the brutes just ordered in 19 drop inventory stations from all the kills they got before they ran out of ammo.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Section Z posted:

fake edit: Oh wait, the brutes just ordered in 19 drop inventory stations from all the kills they got before they ran out of ammo.

Hard to order them while indoors.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Last time I played permafrost there was a jamming raider who kept running past my sentries, grabbing the flag, and chucking it out the door as he died. Then his pathfinder buddy would zoom past and grab it. Permafrost isn't the most entertaining map, but it isn't completely impossible to win.

vvvv Sometimes he would throw it out and there would be no one there to pick it up.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 29, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Avulsion posted:

Last time I played permafrost there was a jamming raider who kept running past my sentries, grabbing the flag, and chucking it out the door as he died. Then his pathfinder buddy would zoom past and grab it. Permafrost isn't the most entertaining map, but it isn't completely impossible to win.

I'll bet dollars to pesos that they were on mumble or TS. You can't coordinate like that over text chat or with VGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Last time I played permafrost I capped it out 5-0. Both gens were up the entire time.
You just need to learn the safe fall route.

• Locked thread