Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Himuro posted:

Please post pics of the FF games on Vita to show us what it looks like on the screen? :)
I don't think Vita's screenshot function works with PSP or PS1 games (and I'm not going to take a picture of the screen with my cell phone camera), but the graphics are very sharp and vibrant on the Vita's screen. Bilinear filtering is enabled by default and smooths out some of the jaggies, but it also makes the text quite blurry so I turned it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I can't find any pictures that haven't been taken with a cellphone camera yet, I'm sure they'll start surfacing but people are still literally finding out which games work and don't through trial and error. I'm hearing it looks good which isn't surprising, the Vita has an awesome screen.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Woo, made it to L50 of the cave, good time for a break. There was a boss floor where a couple of encounters nearly wiped me out (drat Bomb enemies) but I squeaked by.

Bartz is still my Hayate Bow-wielding Hunter, but now he has Blue Magic, even though I never really use it. Blue Magic's especially handy because you can find spells in chests like any other and learn them as normal, as I discovered by snagging Aqua Rake from one of those Chimeras.

Lenna I've been bouncing back and forth between Summoner and White Mage, with the idea that after I get all the magic from both I'll switch her to Mime and give her both skills and Lancet, making her a self-sufficient wrecking machine.

Krile...still a Knight with Counter. Not much change there other than an Ice Sword and a Genji Shield.

Faris is currently a Time Mage so that I can accumulate more magic before I switch her back to a Ninja to continue destroying everything. Managed to snag an Assassin Dagger, which is pretty handy, and a Thief Knife, which, hey, free HiPotions. Can't complain.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Azure_Horizon posted:

The whole thread is an echo chamber, so it's not really stupid at all, nor is it whining.

Serious question, are you autistic? I don't want to feel bad for laughing at a person with brain problems.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Serious question, are you autistic? I don't want to feel bad for laughing at a person with brain problems.

drat, that'd explain a lot.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Boosh! Thanks dude, giving this a shot right now

e: two floors in, great run so far: all low-end gear, the blue magic spell Pep Up, and I just got Beastmaster as my first job! Without a whip. So can I now freely change back and forth between jobs or does setting it on someone lock it in on them?

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 29, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fister Roboto posted:

Serious question, do you have any loving clue what autism is? Because neither you nor Oxxidation have any loving idea. Trust me, I'm already laughing at how completely stupid this question is. You should feel bad for even asking this, it's so completely dumb.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Will you all kindly shut the hell up and stop acting like this train of discussion isn't terrible and you are all terrible for continuing it for this long? Get back to discussing the drat anime RPGs with characters that have silly hair and stop trying to one up another.

Anyways, for those of you who have a Vita, the update for PSOne games is out and 7, 8, 9 and Tactics are all compatible with the Vita, but only 7 is on the Vita's PSOne section, so I hope you have a PS3 if you already own one of the other 3.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Not to distract from this riveting conversation but if anyone out there is on the fence about the FFV Ancient Cave hack, get it. It's awesome, I'm having a great run. Picked up White Mage and Dancer as my first two jobs, then nabbed Cure, so I'm pretty much set on healing, and Butz and Lenna are rocking some decent gear. Got Time Mage and Mimic along with most of decent early Time magic, so as soon as I pick up a way to use all this awesome black magic I've got, I'll be set for life.

Short version, game owns, do it and never look back.

e: hahaha just picked up Esuna, I'm set forever, eat poo poo swordswingers
ee: got "Berserker" Job! hahaha nope
eee: aaaa what the hell is this just ran into Karlboss and Cray Claw as one single boss fight at like level 8. UP YOURS GAME
eeee: welp got dunked. Both healers got one-shotted before they got a turn and it was just mop-up from there. Game owns
eeeee: Five floors in on my next run, only got White Mage without picking up a single spell for it. Anyone even thinks about saying the word "hubris" to me, I'll kick their rear end

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 29, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fungah! posted:

eat poo poo swordswingers
Hahaha, I love this phrase so much.

Now that I'm in the Northern Crater, I'll say for certain that FF7 is better than I remembered; Chocobo Racing is not so lucky. Not the best game of all time, of course, but certainly more appealing than everything the extended universe had soured it to in my mind.

The rerelease is, to me, close to what they would have to do for a "remake." But that's just me, I'd love a FF7 remake retouched to look like a late PS1 game rather than an almost-release title. I'm sure the half of the FF7 fans who grew up with mopey, super modern graphics EU Cloud wouldn't be very happy with that, though. But with any luck, what I want is what we'll get because it's a lot cheaper, financially speaking, for a company that hemorrhages money as a hobby, and pisses it away for a living.

From their most recent releases, we can possibly assume that they're in incredibly dire straits: with the FF7 rerelease and TWEWY on iOS, it honestly sounds like they're putting out everything successful they can think of that requires the least amount of effort to do in an effort to keep from capsizing. Any goonbros who have SE stock, I dunno, if I was you? I'd sell sell sell. Of course, I don't even know if SE has stock, but if they do, well.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 29, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The White Dragon posted:

From their most recent releases, we can possibly assume that they're in incredibly dire straits: with the FF7 rerelease and TWEWY on iOS, it honestly sounds like they're putting out everything successful they can think of that requires the least amount of effort to do in an effort to keep from capsizing. Any goonbros who have SE stock, I dunno, if I was you? I'd sell sell sell. Of course, I don't even know if SE has stock, but if they do, well.

No you can not, a company rehashing properties that are popular with familiar audiences has never been a sign of a company going into terrible conditions. A better indication would them actually making a legit FF7 remake which would make them loads of cash. Square is not in a desperate need for money, especially since the FF and KH games all still sell fantastically, even XIII and XIII-2 managed to make well over a million each in shipped (And more than likely sold) units, which is extremely good for most video games. Now it may not be great in XIII-2's case for FF standards, but it's not like it took them much effort to make XIII-2 so the game pretty much payed for itself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Squeenix is in no way in dire straits. Like, at all. They're making literally All the Money.

Their games maybe aren't doing as well critically, but they're about as successful as they have been for the past decade or so. Really the only black spot on their record from a financial standpoint is FF14, and I'd be willing to bet they still turned a profit on that even with the massive damage control they had to do. And even if they didn't, an MMO is a long-term thing. So long as they get enough subscribers to pay for the server costs (which they almost certainly already have, even with the massive backlash), it'll, eventually, pay for itself.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 29, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Square-Enix is a successful publisher. They are putting out cheap releases because they make money and people buy them. That's it. That's literally the only reason. It takes them zero effort to put it out and people pay money for it.

FF14 was a misstep for the company but otherwise they've been doing quite well. FFXIII-2 was supposedly tremendously profitable for them and they've got games like Sleeping Dogs and Deus Ex in addition to that. At best the Final Fantasy brand isn't as profitable as it used to be, but S-E isn't just Final Fantasy.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 29, 2012

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Squeenix is in no way in dire straits. Like, at all. They're making literally All the Money.

Their games maybe aren't doing as well critically, but they're about as successful as they have been for the past decade or so.

I think people are just looking at the quality, critical reception, etc of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts and forgetting the non-JRPG poo poo they've got going. They published Deus Ex 3 and Sleeping Dogs, they're publishing the new Hitman, they've handled/are handling the Japanese ports and publishing for a bunch of huge western games like Modern Warfare 3, Black Ops 2, and Arkham City.

They're definitely doing okay, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future (especially if either Hitman or Tomb Raider ends up being a home run).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think people are just looking at the quality, critical reception, etc of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts and forgetting the non-JRPG poo poo they've got going. They published Deus Ex 3 and Sleeping Dogs, they're publishing the new Hitman, they've handled/are handling the Japanese ports and publishing for a bunch of huge western games like Modern Warfare 3, Black Ops 2, and Arkham City.

They're definitely doing okay, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future (especially if either Hitman or Tomb Raider ends up being a home run).
And, again, a lot of people dumb on FF13/13-2/the latest Kingdom Hearts games, but they're obviously still selling well. If Kingdom Hearts wasn't selling well, they wouldn't have milked it for every cent it was worth before making KH3.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

And, again, a lot of people dumb on FF13/13-2/the latest Kingdom Hearts games, but they're obviously still selling well. If Kingdom Hearts wasn't selling well, they wouldn't have milked it for every cent it was worth before making KH3.

Wait, they actually announced something about KH3? At the rate they're going, those people from the KH photoshoot thread in GBS are gonna be at the next promotional event with one hand on the keyblade and the other leaning on the walker.

If they don't die of coronary heart disease first, at least.

Man, now I've made myself sad. Can you imagine the pain of a butterball whose only goal in life was to see how Kingdom Hearts ends? A single tear, indistinguishable from a scoop of lard, congeals on his face, suspended on the cheek of time.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 29, 2012

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Man, forget FF, Kingdom Hearts is the thing that baffles me. The Giant Bomb Quicklook for KH3D sort of summed up my feelings on it: they're literally just selling those games to Kingdom Hearts Fans at this point and not trying to grasp new markets or draw in people who love Final Fantasy or Disney like they used to.

The huge flood of main story KH games and the series' complex chronology and character relationships feel impenetrable to somebody who hasn't followed it, by contrast to something like FF, Dragon Quest, or Zelda where every single game is its own thing. KH1 is the only game I've played, and while I beat it and enjoyed it, I cannot ever see myself playing another one in part because of its continuity and the sense that I'd feel lost if I just picked a new game up and gave it a shot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingdom Hearts is cheap to make, has gotten progressively better gameplay, and includes new Disney worlds on a regular basis which actually do draw people in. As long as it pulls those things off, it'll continue to sell. I think it's easy for people on the internet (and especially on SA) to frankly forget that stupid lovely plots like Kingdom Hearts actually do appeal to people who just want to watch animes have anime fights and wax pseudo-philosophical.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Kingdom Hearts also has the benefit that the combat is absurdly fun, and whilst the plot is balls out crazy you can easily just skip the scenes if you don't care for it and just want to have a fun time setting things on fire with Donald Duck. It certainly has its audience anyway, though; I mean, hell, Mark Hamill and Leonard Nimoy were in at least one of them.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Kingdom Hearts is cheap to make

This strikes me as odd, I've always been under the impression that Disney is pretty hardcore about people using their IP so heavily, with regard to licensing fees and being huge sticklers about how the characters from their fiction are used.

Like it seems way cheaper to make games that don't do that, but I guess the KH brand has some loyalty at this point and they've prolly got some kind of crazy contract or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

This strikes me as odd, I've always been under the impression that Disney is pretty hardcore about people using their IP so heavily, with regard to licensing fees and being huge sticklers about how the characters from their fiction are used.

Like it seems way cheaper to make games that don't do that, but I guess the KH brand has some loyalty at this point and they've prolly got some kind of crazy contract or something.

The KH games have some kind of co-publishing deal. Disney sells KH merch, advertises the games and has at least some input on the products that get in. It's also the reason Birth By Sleep isn't available digitally because Disney has issues with that.

Beyond that they reuse a lot of assets and materials.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The KH games have some kind of co-publishing deal. Disney sells KH merch, advertises the games and has at least some input on the products that get in. It's also the reason Birth By Sleep isn't available digitally because Disney has issues with that.

Beyond that they reuse a lot of assets and materials.

If you were a Disney exec would you really want to have someone explain to you the plot of KH or would you just check to make sure the characters don't swear and use their approved assets?

"And if you flip to slide 23 you'll see that he wasn't actually Sora but a nobody of him..."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is it weird that I'm genuinely annoyed when Square Enix publishes good games? As a developer I practically boycott them because they haven't made a good game in about a hundred million years and seem to be working to make old games from their heyday retroactively worse.
But since they own Eidos, I have to give this evil company money for great games like Deus Ex Human Revolution. Or to a lesser extent Just Cause 2 or Sleeping Dogs or possibly the upcoming Tomb Raider game.

I'm probably taking the corporate stuff too seriously, but after all their constant repeated mistakes, awful games and infuriating fanbase, I genuinely want to see S-E fail. Lord knows they've earned it.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby
They can fail after they put a US Seiken Densatsu 3 and Bahamut Lagoon out on PSN or Wii. I'll also take an HD SD4.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's really loving weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Is it weird that I'm genuinely annoyed when Square Enix publishes good games? As a developer I practically boycott them because they haven't made a good game in about a hundred million years and seem to be working to make old games from their heyday retroactively worse.
But since they own Eidos, I have to give this evil company money for great games like Deus Ex Human Revolution. Or to a lesser extent Just Cause 2 or Sleeping Dogs or possibly the upcoming Tomb Raider game.

I'm probably taking the corporate stuff too seriously, but after all their constant repeated mistakes, awful games and infuriating fanbase, I genuinely want to see S-E fail. Lord knows they've earned it.

You probably are being pretty ridiculous here. Square-Enix has actually put out quite a few fun games in recent memory. Their mainline Final Fantasy games have been iffy but they've put out some genuinely good side games, the Dragon Quest franchise in general, and while KH's plot sucks each game has genuinely been trying to improve the gameplay and often succeeds.

They're by no means a great company but treating them like Double-Satan: Devourer of Souls is silly as hell. They've done stupid poo poo but they've also done some genuinely good stuff which gets completely overlooked. They're certainly not, say, Idea Factory, a developer whose output literally does consist pretty much entirely of horrible borderline-unplayable games.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 29, 2012

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
KH 3D underperformed in Japan, as I recall.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
When I call a company "evil" it's usually because they do something like employ third world slave labor or knowingly release shoddy products that could get someone injured or killed. Not "published a few games I personally didn't like".

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I thought Theatrhythm was an awesome game :shrug:

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

ImpAtom posted:

You probably are being pretty ridiculous here. Square-Enix has actually put out quite a few fun games in recent memory. Their mainline Final Fantasy games have been iffy but they've put out some genuinely good side games, the Dragon Quest franchise in general, and while KH's plot sucks each game has genuinely been trying to improve the gameplay and often succeeds.

They're by no means a great company but treating them like Double-Satan: Devourer of Souls is silly as hell.

Yeah, the biggest faults Square has had this generation have all mostly been related to Final Fantasy. Although I thought XIII-2 was an outstandingly fun game, besides that I can't think of any good console games they've made (internally) this generation. They've done pretty drat well in the handheld market though.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

RagnarokAngel posted:

When I call a company "evil" it's usually because they do something like employ third world slave labor or knowingly release shoddy products that could get someone injured or killed. Not "published a few games I personally didn't like".

Third world problems :rolleyes:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rueish posted:

Yeah, the biggest faults Square has had this generation have all mostly been related to Final Fantasy. Although I thought XIII-2 was an outstandingly fun game, besides that I can't think of any good console games they've made (internally) this generation. They've done pretty drat well in the handheld market though.

This is pretty much the Japanese market in general though. There's pretty little interest in consoles there at the moment and so a lot of genuinely excellent stuff goes to their handhelds instead.

That isn't to say that poo poo doesn't go to handhelds too. The Third Birthday is still the absolute bottom of the barrel for any product Square-Enix has put out in quite some time. Even FFXIV at least didn't leave me disgusted with everyone who dared to touch the product.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 29, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

KH 3D underperformed in Japan, as I recall.

If I'm remembering correctly KH games sell better in the west, DQ games sell better in Japan, and FF games sell pretty well in both

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fungah! posted:

Boosh! Thanks dude, giving this a shot right now

e: two floors in, great run so far: all low-end gear, the blue magic spell Pep Up, and I just got Beastmaster as my first job! Without a whip. So can I now freely change back and forth between jobs or does setting it on someone lock it in on them?

You need to find Freelancer in a chest before you can switch back to it after changing jobs. Other then that you can switch around with the jobs you have at will.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I'm on my third run of FFV Ancient Cave, this thing is super addictive. I got to high 20s on my first run before getting killed by a couple of bio knights, and on my second run I died to zombie dinosaurs on 45.

Beginner protip: as great as getting a white mage from your first chest is, don't switch jobs until you actually HAVE spells. :downs:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man the beginning of FF9 is slower than I remember.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Even if Squeenix did make nothing but poo poo games (and they made TWEWY so), 'Evil', really? Come on. For one thing, how are they even to blame for their fanbase?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man the beginning of FF9 is slower than I remember.
It is. I've restarted it more than a few times and quit after getting bored. I think my attention span is a hell of a lot shorter than it used to be when I was a teenager. However I managed to get past it when I started a new playthrough a couple months ago and it gets so much better :)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Almost every FF has a really bad opening. Even if the events are exciting combat tends to boil down to "press attack" or "throw potions" for 2-3 hours or longer.

FF6 is one of the few to get this right by giving you steal/magic/tools within an hour of starting the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ImpAtom posted:

Almost every FF has a really bad opening. Even if the events are exciting combat tends to boil down to "press attack" or "throw potions" for 2-3 hours or longer.

FF6 is one of the few to get this right by giving you steal/magic/tools within an hour of starting the game.

Your definition of bad opening is the lack of a full compliment of battle functions?

Also, FFVII's opening is awesome and you are wrong.