Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Orv posted:

You might have killed me. :v: I was standing around doing gargoyle sunbroing, and alt-tabbing constantly, so when I saw the fog doors up when I tabbed back in I assumed it was another failed invasion connect. Wasn't though!

I did stumble across a few afk people. I ended up stealing 10 humanity (5 from an afker, 5 from some individual who was talking to Lautrec), so it was a really good run for dark wraithing. I did learn you can manipulate the lever for the gate on other player's worlds, potentially loving them over even after the invasion is over. I also invaded a couple of NG+ people, who promptly proceeded to laugh and then obliterate me.

If anyone needs help around SL14 for 4 Kings to become a Dark wraith, try to hit me up in the IRC channel around 9:30pm CST; I'll be glad to assist for more 'Jolly Cooperation'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Quick question about NG+. If I've done most of this run as basically Havel with a black knight great sword, would it be viable to switch over to a dex based rapier guy or a sorcerer in a NG+ run or would I need to create a new character for that to work well?

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Quick question about NG+. If I've done most of this run as basically Havel with a black knight great sword, would it be viable to switch over to a dex based rapier guy or a sorcerer in a NG+ run or would I need to create a new character for that to work well?

NG+ is the same character, same stats. If you've done a STR/VIT/END build; you're better off sticking with it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does anyone have any tips for beating Smough and Ornstein? I'm afraid to try them given how shittily kitted out I am. :ohdear: (I basically only beat the Iron Golem because Tarkus did literally everything, I couldn't do more than 40 damage to it per hit).

If it matters, these are my stats/gear: http://imgur.com/a/q2YMK

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Hezelius posted:

Oh gently caress this.

I was trying to get some co-op going for O&S when I got invaded. During this fight I somehow managed to hit Solaire. Obviously I died when both guys were attacking me.
And just when I died I don't know what the gently caress happened but solaire got killed by a silver knight.

Co-op is jolly no more.

Summoning always fails. I have no idea how I'm going to handle Fat Bastard and Lightning spear rear end in a top hat.

I think I'm gonna cry :cripes::darksouls:

VVV Just got the fat guy killed and oh god what are you doing spearguy no no NOOOOO gently caress YOU.

If you're not above cheesing the fight, head over to the Moonlight Butterfly and kill it to death, then use the soul to craft the Crystal Shield. Equip it with the most powerful weapon you can one-hand, grab Brolaire and head in, and use the shield bash to use the shield like a Tron disc while they are busy attacking your jolly companion.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

To bobnumerotres for mocking me about beating the Moonlight Butterfly in my first try, this one went down at first too and solo:

:smuggo: I realise it's not a terribly difficult fight!

But joking aside, what's the quickest way to the Basement from Andre's bonfire? Goddamnit, I have the worst memory for level layouts. :(

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Triangle posted:

What the hell the fire keeper in firelink shrine just died and I can't rest there anymore. I didn't even get to reinforce my estus flasks

Also, where do I go to after I've got through blighttown (from depth entrance to valley of drakes entrance)? Is there more stuff still there?

Yeah that'll happen. You'll find at least one more fire-keeper later on though, don't worry.

And, you haven't gotten through blighttown. You went across from one entrance to another. Go deeper in to the messy bits, and ring that bell.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
What is a good armor set for high magic resistance?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

MadJackMcJack posted:

If you're not above cheesing the fight, head over to the Moonlight Butterfly and kill it to death, then use the soul to craft the Crystal Shield. Equip it with the most powerful weapon you can one-hand, grab Brolaire and head in, and use the shield bash to use the shield like a Tron disc while they are busy attacking your jolly companion.

CRS got nerfed long ago, and does flat damage now regardless of your other weapon.

Al! posted:

What is a good armor set for high magic resistance?

The dingy set that you get from the dead Firelink firekeeper is pretty good for a light set.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Does anyone have any tips for beating Smough and Ornstein? I'm afraid to try them given how shittily kitted out I am. :ohdear: (I basically only beat the Iron Golem because Tarkus did literally everything, I couldn't do more than 40 damage to it per hit).

If it matters, these are my stats/gear: http://imgur.com/a/q2YMK

If you don't want to summon anyone, then go down to the main boss room and start farming titanite chunks from the two giants. You should get enough to upgrade that lightning spear to +4 pretty quickly. The extra damage is a real lifesaver. Also you should equip the dingy set. It has very good lightning resistance and can get your equip load low enough to fast roll.

tractor fanatic fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 29, 2012

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

tractor fanatic posted:

CRS got nerfed long ago, and does flat damage now regardless of your other weapon.

:argh: And I really wanted the DragonSlayer armour

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

What soul level should I generally stop at for my main character? I've heard 80 from some people and 120 from others.

I don't really want to co-op on him (planning on leveling a fleet of Sunbros for each boss) but yeah, just something for endgame PvP I guess.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I'm not too far into my run yet but I've noticed a few neat things in the background that I assume were always there but I never saw while playing on PS3: when you first exit your cell during the tutorial you can look to your right to see the boss room and the asylum demon wandering around in there. Also if you go into the forest from Andre's area and look up you can see the Moonlight Butterfly sitting at the top of the tower.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

So, I managed to get AVG to chill out, and multiplayer seems to work alright now. I invaded a dude just to check it out, got killed because I forgot invaders can't use Estus, and then later got invaded in Blighttown by ringwraith-looking dude swinging around a flaming Claymore.

Still no bites on my summon sign for the swamp Boss, though. I figure that's mostly due to it being the middle of the day on Wednesday, though :v:

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Four hours of farming and STILL no balder side sword...

Why is it I always get like, three when I DON'T want it, and the one time I do it never shows up.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Edwhirl posted:

Why is it I always get like, three when I DON'T want it, and the one time I do it never shows up.

It'd be awesome if the game measured your Dex and decreased the drop rate based on that.

SRF
Oct 31, 2011

Edwhirl posted:

I spent one hour farming Balder Knights earlier before giving up and just buying a rapier. About two minutes after I'd upgraded it to +5, a knight dropped a side sword.

In conclusion: :darksouls:

SRF fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 29, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

8 gigs RAM, gtx 460m, intel i7 2.20 GHz

I tried with resolution settings as low as 1280x720 and still got bad framerate. Set FoV to 0 and the texture override to 1 and my framerate went way downhill.

The issues definitely improved with the more recent versions, but it still drops really badly out of nowhere.

Alright. Now, and this is important: On a scale from 1 to Lemongrab, how picky are you? My hardware's a little wimpier than yours, I believe, and I do get the odd second of choppy framerate when there's a lot of particles on the screen. It's still completely playable from my perspective, but maybe not from yours.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

SRF posted:

I spent one hour farming Balder Knights earlier before giving up and just byuing a rapier. About two minutes after i'd upgraded it to +5, a knight dropped a side sword.

In conclusion: :darksouls:

Yeah, I have the estoc at +5. I just want the side sword as well. I want to do a coop/invasion gimmick of being a Baldur knight. I have the shield and the armor, I just want the drat sword.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TalonDemonKing posted:

I did stumble across a few afk people. I ended up stealing 10 humanity (5 from an afker, 5 from some individual who was talking to Lautrec), so it was a really good run for dark wraithing. I did learn you can manipulate the lever for the gate on other player's worlds, potentially loving them over even after the invasion is over. I also invaded a couple of NG+ people, who promptly proceeded to laugh and then obliterate me.

If anyone needs help around SL14 for 4 Kings to become a Dark wraith, try to hit me up in the IRC channel around 9:30pm CST; I'll be glad to assist for more 'Jolly Cooperation'.

I will definitely hit you up for 4K, maybe Sif if you're willing.

The fact that Alvina's background cat mewling sound doesn't go away while she's talking will never stop amusing me. :allears:

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

redmercer posted:

Alright. Now, and this is important: On a scale from 1 to Lemongrab, how picky are you? My hardware's a little wimpier than yours, I believe, and I do get the odd second of choppy framerate when there's a lot of particles on the screen. It's still completely playable from my perspective, but maybe not from yours.

I frequently get sent back to the title screen for having too low a framerate.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Orv posted:

I will definitely hit you up for 4K, maybe Sif if you're willing.

The fact that Alvina's background cat mewling sound doesn't go away while she's talking will never stop amusing me. :allears:

I'll be willing to help you in 9~ hours when I get off work. If you got some free time I'd suggest grabbing a fire-weapon of some sort as 4K is a pain without it since the lightning damage nerf. Vamos can upgrade to +5, but I needed my scythe at +7 before the damage was great enough to do it.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

I frequently get sent back to the title screen for having too low a framerate.

Ouch. Sorry about that.

Does it do that without the fix? Have you tried putzing with the video card power settings? Even when I set mine to "full power all the time", it for some reason made my framerate drop to poo poo all the time.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

It's only with the fix. Tried power settings already.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TalonDemonKing posted:

I'll be willing to help you in 9~ hours when I get off work. If you got some free time I'd suggest grabbing a fire-weapon of some sort as 4K is a pain without it since the lightning damage nerf. Vamos can upgrade to +5, but I needed my scythe at +7 before the damage was great enough to do it.

Will do. Guess it's time for Catacombs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I'm not too far into my run yet but I've noticed a few neat things in the background that I assume were always there but I never saw while playing on PS3: when you first exit your cell during the tutorial you can look to your right to see the boss room and the asylum demon wandering around in there. Also if you go into the forest from Andre's area and look up you can see the Moonlight Butterfly sitting at the top of the tower.

That isn't the Asylum Demon. :ssh:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
My character is a Sunbro SL43 currently in Sen's fortress. I've been focusing on DEX/END/FTH so I'm using Dex scaling weapons. I currently have a Balder Side Sword +5 and a Winged Spear +7. I haven't dabbled at all in any of the elemental upgrades and am kind of lost on which ones are worth investing in. Can anyone give me a good run down?

I started as a Wanderer class and it's too bad their light armor is one of the best sets in the game as I can't find anything that's a clear upgrade and I'm getting sick and tired of having the same look for the past 30 hours. I'm trying to piecemeal a new look and it's making me OCD as hell.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
What goes well with a Stone Greatshield other than the end-game-level STR it takes to use the fucker?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

8 gigs RAM, gtx 460m, intel i7 2.20 GHz

I tried with resolution settings as low as 1280x720 and still got bad framerate. Set FoV to 0 and the texture override to 1 and my framerate went way downhill.

The issues definitely improved with the more recent versions, but it still drops really badly out of nowhere.

If it randomly drops, I believe that is usually an indicator of weak graphics hardware.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TalonDemonKing posted:

I dropped you a message on IRC, I'd be down for rolling out to Darkwraith covenant since I'm actually right at SL 15 or so this evening.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Is there anything in the game harder than the two sanctuary guardian?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is there a way to zoom the bow aiming with the mouse and keyboard? I'm at the point where I'm supposed to shoot the dragon's tail and it's like pulling teeth without being able to aim. Apparently on the controller it's up and down on the d-pad, which are normally "switch item" and "switch magic" but I've tried those to no effect.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Two hand the bow by hitting regular attack on whatever hand it's in. When it's two handed, hit the block button. It only works for bows, not crossbows.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

redmercer posted:

What goes well with a Stone Greatshield other than the end-game-level STR it takes to use the fucker?

Why would you use that over Artorias except maybe for the slightly higher elemental resistances?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tractor fanatic posted:

Two hand the bow by hitting regular attack on whatever hand it's in. When it's two handed, hit the block button. It only works for bows, not crossbows.

Praise the sun!

I guess it helps if I bring more than 3 arrows though.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Blighttown :psyduck:

I'm so loving lost haha. My pc doesn't like the place that much either, but it is still not as bad as the fps reported by the console folks so I can't complain :v:.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Al! posted:

Why would you use that over Artorias except maybe for the slightly higher elemental resistances?

Because I have one and I also don't know what the hell Artorias even is

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Coolguye posted:

I dropped you a message on IRC, I'd be down for rolling out to Darkwraith covenant since I'm actually right at SL 15 or so this evening.

I'm still at work for another 8 hours; so if you're still up I'll totally carry your badness through for glorious red orb invasion.

Also, for my next gimmick, I'm thinking an Astorias build or SL1 Gravelord. Anyone have any good recommendations that'll keep me around 60-80 for Astoria build?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Have the wikis been updated to reflect the damage changes? I keep hearing talk of a lightning nerf, but what is the new breakdown for +15 vs fire +5 vs raw etc?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

tractor fanatic posted:

Is there anything in the game harder than the two sanctuary guardian?

Did you say TWO? there are two of those fuckers? I am about to uninstall the game because I just cant beat a single one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

keyframe posted:

Did you say TWO? there are two of those fuckers? I am about to uninstall the game because I just cant beat a single one.

After you beat the DLC you can go back and there are now two respawning Sanctuary Guardians where you fought the first one. It's optional, though

• Locked thread