Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

If Dunban's getting hit that much and you're not fighting something higher level than you then something is wrong. Jam agility gems into him until the number turns green then watch him dodge everything.

I just beat the final boss with my only healing being Shulk's Light Heal and chain attacks and I wasn't even overlevelled. That should give you an idea of how necessary Sharla is! Did come close to dying a few times, but that just makes it more exciting. :v:

Edit: also make sure Dunban's only wearing light armour, anything heavier will lower his agility.

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Once you unlock one of Dunban's bonus skill trees, it has a thing which boosts agility a ridiculous amount without armor. Combine that with skill linking Melia's no-gem stat boost skill and Dunban becomes a nigh invincible man in underwear.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Poniard posted:

Once you unlock one of Dunban's bonus skill trees, it has a thing which boosts agility a ridiculous amount without armor. Combine that with skill linking Melia's no-gem stat boost skill and Dunban becomes a nigh invincible man in underwear.

Does the no-gem stat boost thing count gems in weapons, or just armor? I'm not far enough yet for the no-gem stat boost skill, but almost have Dundun's naked agility boost.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Poniard posted:

I've seen conflicting reports, but I think you can still wear the "oils" here.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Now I wish there was wearable woad in this game. :(

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

Does the no-gem stat boost thing count gems in weapons, or just armor? I'm not far enough yet for the no-gem stat boost skill, but almost have Dundun's naked agility boost.

Gems in weapons negates the effect; that's the disadvantage. At level 80, the skill adds a bit more than 100 to strength; with both the no-gem skill and underwear speed, dundun gets about 50 extra points to agility.

Also his armor slots need to be totally empty for it to work.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Poniard posted:

Gems in weapons negates the effect; that's the disadvantage. At level 80, the skill adds a bit more than 100 to strength; with both the no-gem skill and underwear speed, dundun gets about 50 extra points to agility.

Also his armor slots need to be totally empty for it to work.

The no-gem skill is on a bonus skill tree for Melia, isn't it? I don't see it on the original 3 trees. I've got him at level 47 right now and just got to Sword Valley, and I'm getting more agility with armor+Agi gems than naked, so I guess it's not worth going naked dundun just yet. I just don't know if I want to grind quests for Melia to get her extra skill trees yet.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Keska posted:

Edit: Actually, I think I like him better with his wings/arms up:

Nopon are awesome and this is awesome! :3:

Except they are truly murder machines. I hope you don't have a dog because that nopon will ask you to kill it. Five times.

There's some papercraft model out there of Riki but this is better. You need to make a little blue vest for it :)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Suaimhneas posted:

Edit: also make sure Dunban's only wearing light armour, anything heavier will lower his agility.

I linked Dunban to the -Equipment weight skills (I forget who has them), which means he has -15 equipment weight, which is enough for 3 pieces of Medium armor. Combine that with Sharla's +Medium armor bonus and he becomes a bit beefier as a tank, although I would slap on a +Ether Def gem since those can't be dodged (I don't think?) and I have no idea what Resists are based off. I'd still slap on a HP Up on him, just in case. Even with a +50%, he won't hit 9999 until way late in the game.

Melia is surprisingly good as a clutch healer. Summon Aqua and Summon Clone gives the party a pretty good regen rate, and she can use her last Summon for her various blasts, like Lightning or Blaze. Conversely, Summon Wind x2 gives a ton of Agility for your tank, as well. Her sac HP to heal ability is also on a really short cooldown and while it doesn't heal that much, the spammability is good in a pinch.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Man, I wish a "don't use your talent art" command could be issued to the team-mates. I've found some of the best regular-mode teams end up with lackluster chain attack compatibility. It would be awesome to initiate a chain attack knowing for a fact that all three characters will have a full talent gauge to keep the combo at max multiplier.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Having Melia in your party helps with that a little, since hers will always be usable so long as she has any summoned elements to shoot. Then just fill up your own and listen out for whatever the third character says when their gauge is full ("The time is now!", "Riki show Nopon secret move" etc etc)

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I've been playing this game for months now, and Riki's commentary just keeps getting better. I've never really use the party commands, and once I started, it took me a few fights to understand what Riki was yelling. But once I did, I had a :haw: face on for the rest of the night.

"Aye aye!"
nosemouth

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Hey! I read the whole thread!

The game is fun so far. My wife is bored of it since the plot is pretty heavily spaced out - especially if I do quests from here to there - but it's still fun.

I couldn't find it in a tutorial - what exactly do the status effects do?

Break - ??? Let's you topple more easily?
Topple - Enemy falls over, drops all commands
Daze - Save as Topple?
Paralysis - Nothing?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Skychrono posted:

The game is fun so far. My wife is bored of it since the plot is pretty heavily spaced out - especially if I do quests from here to there - but it's still fun.

Daze - Save as Topple?
Paralysis - Nothing?

Break doesn't do anything in and of itself, but most moves that can inflict Topple require it as a prestiquite. Topple stops an enemy from attacking and Daze increases critical hit damage along with breaking visions completely. Paralysis occasionally stops auto-attacks.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 29, 2012

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Skychrono posted:

Daze - Save as Topple?
Paralysis - Nothing?

The Break status lets you inflict Topple on the enemy, nothing more. A Toppled enemy can't do anything but sit there. Daze is the same as Topple except the enemy won't gain aggro from any moves used on it. Topple can only be inflicted on enemies with Break on them, and Daze can only be inflicted on enemies with Topple on them.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Skychrono posted:

Daze - Save as Topple?
Paralysis - Nothing?
Break sets up topple. That's it; nothing else.

Topple interrupts an enemy and removes most defensive abilities. There are only a few abilities that can Topple an enemy that hasn't already been broken. Only the later characters have them, and while they have their own limitations, they make destroying either Uniques (Mage character) or huge mobs (Seventh character) much, much easier.

Daze extends the length of topple, but also cancels any ability the enemy was doing. If you have a vision, toppling will freeze the timer, but it resumes when the guy gets back up. Daze eliminates it all together. Enemies generally need to be toppled before you can daze them. There are exceptions, but unlike topple, they don't seem worth it.

Paralysis gives basic attacks a chance to fail.

Edit: hey everyone! Is there any way to make the "Daze in an arc behind you" ability (I think it was called thunder) ever useful?

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 29, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Break is pretty easy to achieve also, and there are gems that you get which give you like a 10% chance of break on hit. Some enemies also have "Spike" damage when you attack them, and Topple removes those (although it triggers it for some strong enemies).

Certain gems/talents also do more damage to enemies that are toppled/dazed. Dunban eventually unlocks a talent that topples all nearby enemies if it's the final hit, Melia can do a hit-kick topple combo without break at anytime, Riki has a chance-based bind-or-topple attack, Seven has an attack that hits like seven times and forces topple but you can only use it if you're at fire-level tension.

Also Sharla unlocks a talent to "headshot" a dazed enemy for an instant kill (if not simply massive damage). But Sharla's not that great.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Cool, thanks guys!

Dunban's Thunder command was always helpful when fighting mobs of enemies. It's nice to have everyone but your current target dazed.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

PFlats posted:

hey everyone! Is there any way to make the "Daze in an arc behind you" ability (I think it was called thunder) ever useful?

Only when you're surrounded which is rare. It's a waste of a slot in my opinion when you can put other awesome poo poo in.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

PFlats posted:

Edit: hey everyone! Is there any way to make the "Daze in an arc behind you" ability (I think it was called thunder) ever useful?

There was a kind of a weird hitbox trick you could use with one of his other skills that let you force yourself to have your back to your current target. It was kind of sketchy though, and not really worth trying to setup that I could find.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

There are also Topple Up (extra damage to toppled enemies, up to +100% for mega heat rank 6) and Topple Plus (extends duration of topple) gems you can use, and ditto for Daze Up and Daze Plus. Although if you're relying on "topple locking" in this manner, topple alone should be plenty. I'm not a big fan of daze unless you really need to cancel a vision.

Using a toppling attack on an already-toppled enemy will extend the current topple duration by whatever time the attack would have individually toppled it for.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There was a kind of a weird hitbox trick you could use with one of his other skills that let you force yourself to have your back to your current target. It was kind of sketchy though, and not really worth trying to setup that I could find.

Pretty sure it's the one that makes them bleed, which often brings you to their other side.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
And if you didn't pick up on it already, Talents that have a Break effect have pink icons, those with a Topple effect have green icons, and those with a Daze effect have yellow icons. Makes quickly using your Topple or Daze move much simpler since it's just color-matching.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think that's an intended combo.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

What about paralysis? It looks like it's percentage based - that is, enemies have a wavy yellow symbol with the down arrow on it. It doesn't seem to... paralyze them, not very much.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Paralyze makes them miss out on attacks; Bind holds them in place, but they can still attack.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Gale Slash - Thunder? Might be worth playing with as Dunban.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Skychrono posted:

What about paralysis? It looks like it's percentage based - that is, enemies have a wavy yellow symbol with the down arrow on it. It doesn't seem to... paralyze them, not very much.

Chronojam posted:

Paralyze makes them miss out on attacks; Bind holds them in place, but they can still attack.

IIRC, paralyze only makes basic attacks miss, not artes. It's pretty useless.

edit: Break/Topple/Daze and any poison-style DOTs are the only status effects worth it, IMO. You can never seal any enemy worth sealing, paralyze and bind are so-so, and you have to micromanage your teammates incredibly well to make sleep worthwhile. Stat downs are usually only 10-15%, haven't ever seen them make a huge difference.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 30, 2012

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You can get some impressive results by stacking physical defense down from multiple sources while running a physical team (e.g. Shulk, Dundun, Seven). But in general yeah, topple/daze and DoTs are where it's at.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I hate timed quests. I just left Satorl Marsh to complete the refugee camp quests. It was annoying. Also, I guess I should stop using Sharla now!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I like Sharla. Am I dumb for liking Sharla? :saddowns:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

I like Sharla. Am I dumb for liking Sharla? :saddowns:

I like sharla too. For a while my team was Shulk, Reyn, and Sharla. That team provided me with some of the best post battle banter.

Sharla: "Eugh, think I could use a shower right about now."
Reyn: "Good thing I'm here then. No? Anybody?"
Shulk: "Let's press on."

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The little timed icon is used for anything that might in any way be missable, not just for things that you will miss by waiting until too late in the plot. That certainly is a factor for some areas' quests, but the icon is also used for:

- Quests that are available until you complete Specific Other Quest X. Most of the refugee camp quests fall under this category, and furthermore quest X is very up-front about the fact that it will cut you off from refugee camp quests when you complete it.

- Mutually exclusive quests.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Xenoblade just arrived. Any beginner tips or things I should know going into this? Any newbie traps to avoid?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't sell your collectibles/items

Don't really worry about gear

Take the time to understand gemcrafting (RuBisCO posted a great guide a while back http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476727&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=63#post403503981)

Try out different combinations

Don't feel hesitant to use chain attacks (if you kill mobs in chain attacks you get extra xp)

Have fun! :)

bef fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 30, 2012

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

bef posted:

Take the time to understand gemcrafting (someone posted a really good guide a good amount of pages back)

I'd say not to worry about making gems until things are dropping level IV crystals, which is pretty far into the game. Until then, just go with what you get from quest rewards and the collection book.

My only exception early game was Quick Step (speeds up movement). I covered Shulk in those until he shined.

fake edit: Also, this isn't Diablo. You can unsocket gems whenever you want.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

PureRok posted:

Xenoblade just arrived. Any beginner tips or things I should know going into this? Any newbie traps to avoid?

The tutorials do a bad job of explaining the game. There are a ton of mechanics and they are complicated. You will feel lost at first because a lot gets thrown at you all at once and it is explained poorly. Keep playing and you will figure out the mechanics on your own.

Only your lead character benefits from Quick Step gems. Give your lead character as many of them as you can spare gem slots for. They make a huge difference in your enjoyment of the game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

PureRok posted:

On top of what others have said, don't be afraid to play as someone besides Shulk.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

PureRok posted:

You are occasionally going to wander into the wrong area and get your poo poo pushed in by something that has fifty levels on you. This is normal, don't worry about it. Just move on and make a note to eventually come back for revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Stroth posted:

You are occasionally going to wander into the wrong area and get your poo poo pushed in by something that has fifty levels on you. This is normal, don't worry about it. Just move on and make a note to eventually come back for revenge.

This will happen even if you don't wander into the wrong area.

But by all means, do feel free to swim around the various batteries in Colony 9 and, you know, check out the local wildlife. :allears:

• Locked thread