Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012

havenwaters posted:

You can also just hit him enough to stagger him before he powers up. The fight is really similar to King Allant in Demon's Souls

Yeah, he is pretty similar. Though, I found Artorias harder, only because Warding doesn't exist in Dark Souls. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

AlternatePFG posted:

Yeah, he is pretty similar. Though, I found Artorias harder, only because Warding doesn't exist in Dark Souls. :v:

I do miss that spell. Either way, the fight was fun and I'm going to enjoy it when I get back to it on NG+

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Oh, one question I meant to ask a while back: that guy I summoned who bulldozed his way up to the Taurus Demon and one-shotted it apparently dropped me 90 Hero Souls, which I ate one and it gave me 10,000 monies, so it's pretty obvious that he was hacking.

I've resisted the temptation to just gobble them all down and get myself to level 6000, but would there be any downside to doing so? (Besides destroying the difficulty curve of the game for myself, and me not knowing what in the everliving gently caress stats do).

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

Oh, one question I meant to ask a while back: that guy I summoned who bulldozed his way up to the Taurus Demon and one-shotted it apparently dropped me 90 Hero Souls, which I ate one and it gave me 10,000 monies, so it's pretty obvious that he was hacking.

I've resisted the temptation to just gobble them all down and get myself to level 6000, but would there be any downside to doing so? (Besides destroying the difficulty curve of the game for myself, and me not knowing what in the everliving gently caress stats do).

You'd be cut off from summoning, basically, since it works by soul level.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

You can only play multiplayer with people around a similar level to you, so if you did that you'd become very lonely. I'd just get rid of them, no matter how you used them you'd be just as much a party to the cheating as he was.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, you can block it, you can block almost everything in the game. I know why you thought you couldn't though, in most games where you have a choice between dodging and blocking, dodging is the right choice 99% of the time because anything dangerous enough to be a real threat to you is also unblockable. Put that out of your head though, this game doesn't work that way.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. It's really weird, this is the first game I think I've ever played where blocking is literally better than dodging in most instances.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. It's really weird, this is the first game I think I've ever played where blocking is literally better than dodging in most instances.

It is not.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Just started the DLC stuff, had a tough time with the Guardian but took him down after a few tries. Is upper 50's an acceptable level?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Arujei posted:

Just started the DLC stuff, had a tough time with the Guardian but took him down after a few tries. Is upper 50's an acceptable level?

Yeah that should be fine. I came in around the upper 70s and I feel a bit over leveled. Then again, that may just be because I've started putting points into vitality so I don't get two shot anymore.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Arujei posted:

Yeah. No matter your level the new regular enemies are pretty easy but the new bosses are tough and fun.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

At least as far as physical attacks go, with my current build just blocking even an extremely heavy attack costs me less stamina than rolling and is less likely to fail and cost me a bunch of health.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

You can only play multiplayer with people around a similar level to you, so if you did that you'd become very lonely. I'd just get rid of them, no matter how you used them you'd be just as much a party to the cheating as he was.

I've also got this black knight shield that probably explains why I was able to defend against the Capra Demon, but I think that came from a black knight that's in a tunnel before the tower before the Taurus Demon. I picked up a vanilla "Knight Shield" that's almost equivalent to it in stats (I think). Should I junk it or keep it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

I've also got this black knight shield that probably explains why I was able to defend against the Capra Demon, but I think that came from a black knight that's in a tunnel before the tower before the Taurus Demon. I picked up a vanilla "Knight Shield" that's almost equivalent to it in stats (I think). Should I junk it or keep it?
No, the black knight shield is much better, if you are strong enough to carry it. Black knight equipment is all endgame quality stuff, and the drop rate for it has apparently been greatly increased.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, the black knight shield is much better, if you are strong enough to carry it.

Well it was more of a question "Was this item hacked in or not".

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

The Black Knight Shield is a lucky drop to have early on. The Knight Shield is pretty much garbage.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

No. You just got super lucky.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.
The Knight Shield is the first free shield in the game with 100% physical resistance which is also just about the only thing it has going for it.

The Black Knight Shield has really high fire resistance which is handy sometimes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have only myself to blame really, but between the shoddy netcode, or whatever is causing swords to have the range of spears and stunlock me with my shield up, and losing to people with the drake sword (:negative:) Forest PvP with a caestus is killing me. Might have to forgo for a bit and get that Iron Golem soul.

E: I'll go get the whip, that'll solve it!

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 29, 2012

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I just killed both gargoyles on my first try with the help of Knight Solaire in about 30 seconds, and got a tail axe for my trouble. Should I post this smiley: :getin:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Here's another mechanics question:

If i die and drop a bloodstain somewhere, then get summoned before retrieving it and die as a phantom, is the bloodstain lost?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Cowcaster posted:

So I just killed both gargoyles on my first try with the help of Knight Solaire in about 30 seconds, and got a tail axe for my trouble. Should I post this smiley: :getin:

Yes, yes you should. You should now come back to post once you come across a moment/place of utter despair so I can feel better about myself. :colbert:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

HenryEx posted:

If i die and drop a bloodstain somewhere, then get summoned before retrieving it and die as a phantom, is the bloodstain lost?

No, dying as a phantom has no effect on your world.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

HenryEx posted:

Essentially the only way to lose a bloodstain is to die again (in your own world) before retrieving it.

Xuuel
Feb 20, 2010

havenwaters posted:

You can also just hit him enough to stagger him before he powers up. The fight is really similar to King Allant in Demon's Souls

Huh, I didn't know that! I always kept away from him during that because I figured that little explosion would destroy me. I don't think I'll ever stop learning new stuff about this game.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
You might lose it if you die as a red phantom, although I've never done it.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I think you're right, since dying as a red phantom leaves a bloodstain itself. I've never encountered the issue of invading while I already have a bloodstain, though.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
Ran into my first hacker in Anor londo, darkwraith armor and a lifehunt scythe. He couldn't take any damage and there wasn't any ledges to boot him off of. I've been assisting on O&S all afternoon and just started distracting him so the host can run for the boss door, 3 for 4 on host making it through so gently caress him.

Also being a dragon rules and I kinda wish the BB glitch was in so I could be a dragon earlier. While it is possible legitimately farming 30 scales is so terrible I wouldn't wish it on anyone much less a SL10 guy.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Coming from doing gimmick runs in demon souls my only moment of despair in this game was the Gargoyles, and pretty much because the game was new and I didn't know I could upgrade my weapon/have a drakesword.

O&S never gave me much trouble (I fought every boss alone), Capra Demon was pretty much the Tower Knight from DeS in a much smaller arena, etc.

The final boss was definitely another level of hell though, until I found out he could be riposte'd. Now it's a joke to me. :(

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

doomfunk posted:

I think you're right, since dying as a red phantom leaves a bloodstain itself. I've never encountered the issue of invading while I already have a bloodstain, though.

I forgot to get my stain once and had to race back to it as soon as the "invading another world" message appeared

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Sure wish people couldn't just Quit Game to avoid invasions.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Cowcaster posted:

I just did the exact same thing and not only got the axe but a halberd and a helm out of the deal. Is that normal or did I just get really really lucky?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Mr. Sharps posted:

I just did the exact same thing and not only got the axe but a halberd and a helm out of the deal. Is that normal or did I just get really really lucky?

You have like a 50% chance to get that stuff. The halberd is pretty good.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Wow, today has been a productive one so far, managed to beat the Gargoyles and the Capra Demon. The former went in my first try and was real smooth. The latter, not so much, but I didn't die more than five times. The dogs were a true dick move, though. :emo:

Too bad that I seem to be using the same equipment since the beginning of the game. I don't know if I'm unlucky, if I'm doing the areas in a bad way or if I'm blind, but the game feels really underwhelming in that aspect. ~8 hours in and not a single good thing dropped/found. The coolest finds so far were the Grass Shield and the Elite Knight Armor set. :(

Demon's Souls felt like I was improving my character all the time, the progression aspect was much more rewarding than Dark Souls, at least so far. I can't even get new Pyro spells, c'mon!

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 29, 2012

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mindblast posted:

Yes, yes you should. You should now come back to post once you come across a moment/place of utter despair so I can feel better about myself. :colbert:

While going to see if I'd picked up any keys that could unlock the door at the base of the tower that leads to the Taurus Demon I waltzed off the edge of a cliff. No enemies were around, I wasn't running. I literally was not looking where I was going and fell off a cliff.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I just helped someone with a boss fight and he got himself killed when the boss just had a sliver of health left. I landed the final blow just as the "Host was killed" message was flashing and got transported back.

Well, i got the souls and the humanity for the boss kill assist. Please tell me it will count as a boss kill for the dude, too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

havenwaters posted:

Yeah that should be fine. I came in around the upper 70s and I feel a bit over leveled. Then again, that may just be because I've started putting points into vitality so I don't get two shot anymore.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I'm late 50s and Anor Londo is incredibly hard. Is the DLC stuff supposed to come before it?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Today I discovered the beauty of the muffling ring + chameleon + invisible body when getting invaded. Backstab bonanza!

Orv
May 4, 2011

HenryEx posted:

I just helped someone with a boss fight and he got himself killed when the boss just had a sliver of health left. I landed the final blow just as the "Host was killed" message was flashing and got transported back.

Well, i got the souls and the humanity for the boss kill assist. Please tell me it will count as a boss kill for the dude, too.

It does, or has for me the couple times that's happened.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

HenryEx posted:

It doesn't, I don't believe, at least not the times I've had that happen while assisting. It does, however, let you double-up when/if he summons you again.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I'm late 50s and Anor Londo is incredibly hard. Is the DLC stuff supposed to come before it?

No, in fact you literally cannot access the DLC content until after completing Anor Londo, since you need something from a post-AL location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
NG+ is so much fun. :allears:

Possible Weapon/Magic Spoilers: http://i.imgur.com/Se9gn.jpg

I wanted to kill Ornstein and Smough as quickly as possible, so I ditched my shield in favor of two handing my Balder Side Sword while stacking as many buffs as possible. They died pretty quickly. Due to my low Vitality (24 Vitality) I was pretty much killed in two hits by them if I messed up a dodge, but it's not exactly a huge challenge. I just thought the screenshot was cool.

There goes my last major worry for NG+. I already beat the 4 Kings before this fight, I suppose the DLC stuff will be pretty tough but I think I can manage.

AlternatePFG fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 29, 2012

• Locked thread