Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Does anyone know how the Make a Wish visits works exactly? I was just wondering if they're on real tight schedules or if they get to wander around the hospital and meet other kids.

I mostly just liked the mental image of John Cena going around a hospital just popping into random rooms cheering people up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I once met Bruce Hart. He was sitting at a little card table filled with Hart family merchandise for sale. I looked at him kind of funny, because I could tell he looked familiar but couldn't place the face. He stood up and shook my hand, introducing himself. I was like "OHHHH!" haha.

Edit: I don't know for sure how Make-A-Wish would work, but I'd assume they would be chaperoned by their own PR rep and someone from the hospital, get info on each kid they are visiting one-on-one. Then whatever else they do on top of that is up to them.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Halloween Jack posted:

I have one of Chuck Taylor's grenades; I keep it here on my office desk.

The best memorabilia.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

CombineThresher posted:

I don't have Nigel's autograph, but I did chat with him after one of the Manassas ROH shows and he was really nice, and shorter than I'd expected but twice as jacked.

I got the same vibe from Necro Butcher, Tyler Black, and Rhett Titus, after one of the Manassas shows.

I was sad when they stopped running there. The fans (read: the snapmare enthusiasts) were awesome.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Tyma posted:

I met him post TNA, so it seemed akin to asking John Cena for an autograph, and watching him sign it as "The Prototype".

Well, I know what I'm asking for if I ever meet John Cena

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Require More Fire posted:

The best memorabilia.
I can't keep it at home. I get ants in my kitchen during the summer; it's too tempting.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jay 2K Winger posted:

I got the same vibe from Necro Butcher, Tyler Black, and Rhett Titus, after one of the Manassas shows.

I was sad when they stopped running there. The fans (read: the snapmare enthusiasts) were awesome.

Man, that snapmare thing went from ironic to genuine pretty fast, didn't it? Good times.

And Necro is a really nice guy. A buddy of mine's car got vandalized outside the ECW arena during a CZW show, and Necro waited with him until the cops came.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
Did Alberto Del Rio's original debut vignette imply that he was a drug dealer? I recall there being some backlash over what many thought the gimmick was supposed to be as the WWE was PG at the time.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

budreck posted:

Did Alberto Del Rio's original debut vignette imply that he was a drug dealer? I recall there being some backlash over what many thought the gimmick was supposed to be as the WWE was PG at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1wYJNizo-Q

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't see anything at all in there that you could get 'drug dealer' out of, but then again I only skimmed it.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

Endorph posted:

I didn't see anything at all in there that you could get 'drug dealer' out of, but then again I only skimmed it.

There may be a racial component in people looking at a rich Mexican and just assuming that makes him a drug dealer

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

After watching this whole episode and seeing how these guys are going to against Vince, it's honestly no wonder he won the trial.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Tyma posted:

I met Nigel McGuinness recently and asked for his autograph. He didn't believe 'Tyma' was a real name (even though I was wearing a pass with my full name on it), so he didn't use his real name either :psyduck:

:lol:

This is funny.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Was the Dragon/Macho Man blowoff at WM3 as much of an all-time great match as it's been made out to be?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Was the Dragon/Macho Man blowoff at WM3 as much of an all-time great match as it's been made out to be?

There are two schools of thought:

1) Yes it was very good

2) but only because they rehearsed it over and over which detracts from it when compared to other big matches which were called on the fly in the ring

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

I will say this: I bought WM3 at Circuit City when they were going out of business knowing nothing about it except that Hogan slammed Andre, and it was like a 90,000 person crowd.

Watching it, there were a bunch of matches that were real dogs, nothing even as good as Ryback/Swagger from last week. Lots of hosses who couldn't even hoss anymore (George the Animal showed up I think? It was bad)

Then Dragon/Macho happened, and it easily beats the pants off of anything I've seen in a long time. It was just perfect. Even considering how much the wrestling arts have evolved since then, it's still a classic and riveting to watch.

Everyone who cries about it being "rehearsed ad nauseum" doesn't understand sports and only likes fluky plays like the Immaculate Reception. Real sports is repetition until perfection.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Going back a couple of pages but does Meltzer speak any Japanese? I think I recall him saying a while ago that he takes into account build, buzz and crowd when scoring a match (around MITB 2011 I think) as well as actual performance.

Its probably easier to overlook stuff that might take away from the physical execution of a match if you don't fully understand the intricacies. Then again, I don't really know anything about how Japan builds their matches.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Frot Lesnar posted:

1) Yes it was very good

2) but only because they rehearsed it over and over which detracts from it when compared to other big matches which were called on the fly in the ring

So that means all savage matches are bad since he did that for all matches.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Frot Lesnar posted:

1) Yes it was very good

2) people who are wrong

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

You just called Ric Flair wrong.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Frot Lesnar posted:

You just called Ric Flair wrong.

Ric Flair is wrong about a lot of things

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bobkatt013 posted:

So that means all savage matches are bad since he did that for all matches.

So did Hitman. In fact he laments that I think it was the Hart Foundation / Bulldogs match got a lot better and that they didn't get a good version of that on tape.

Also, Hogan / Warrior was super rehearsed, and shows.

Miles O'Brian posted:

Going back a couple of pages but does Meltzer speak any Japanese? I think I recall him saying a while ago that he takes into account build, buzz and crowd when scoring a match (around MITB 2011 I think) as well as actual performance.

Its probably easier to overlook stuff that might take away from the physical execution of a match if you don't fully understand the intricacies. Then again, I don't really know anything about how Japan builds their matches.

Interesting, I'm not sure. But Japan matches are also subtle and the angles are stuff like "X won the champions carnival! Can he win the title?" or "Can plucky underdog A beat veteran B?".

Even I don't speak Japanese, but a lot of the time I can pick up on the NJPW angles today. Mostly.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 31, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

There may be a racial component in people looking at a rich Mexican and just assuming that makes him a drug dealer
He's an evil rich guy who owns an enormous number of cars and comes from a bordering country.

Dude is smuggling something. :colbert:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

LordPants posted:

So did Hitman. In fact he laments that I think it was the Hart Foundation / Bulldogs match got a lot better and that they didn't get a good version of that on tape.

Interesting, I'm not sure. But Japan matches are also subtle and the angles are stuff like "X won the champions carnival! Can he win the title?" or "Can plucky underdog A beat veteran B?".

Even I don't speak Japanese, but a lot of the time I can pick up on the NJPW angles today. Mostly.
I can speak a bit of Japanese, but a lot of stuff pre mid-90's was fairly straight forward. Feuds started over matches, not feuds that led to matches. Rivalries and tournaments were a big thing that would carry a feud too.

Interviews sound like interviews, and not particularly promos.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

At least Puro tends to be good like that, that you can get a basic outline of a feud even if you can't understand what they're saying. Stuff like "dominant heel taunts face into attacking him" and "underdog face overcomes heel" works pretty well in any language. I mean, could you imagine trying to follow WWE's Kane/AJ/D-Bry story in a different language.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

VogeGandire posted:

At least Puro tends to be good like that, that you can get a basic outline of a feud even if you can't understand what they're saying. Stuff like "dominant heel taunts face into attacking him" and "underdog face overcomes heel" works pretty well in any language. I mean, could you imagine trying to follow WWE's Kane/AJ/D-Bry story in a different language.
Well, things changed in Puro. Especially in the 00's. Good luck trying to decipher a DDT event.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Flameingblack posted:

Well, things changed in Puro. Especially in the 00's. Good luck trying to decipher a DDT event.

DDT is not meant to be understood. I'm sure a ladder winning a championship is just as inexplicable in English than it is in Japanese.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Flameingblack posted:

I can speak a bit of Japanese, but a lot of stuff pre mid-90's was fairly straight forward. Feuds started over matches, not feuds that led to matches. Rivalries and tournaments were a big thing that would carry a feud too.

Interviews sound like interviews, and not particularly promos.

Funny you should mention that, but when Eddie Edwards had his NOAH title match he did a pre match press conference which outlined his strategy and then that psychology fed into the overall psychology of the match. It was pretty great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LordPants posted:

Funny you should mention that, but when Eddie Edwards had his NOAH title match he did a pre match press conference which outlined his strategy and then that psychology fed into the overall psychology of the match. It was pretty great.

When is Eddie Edward's not great?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

When is Eddie Edward's not great?

When he's friends with Davey.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

LordPants posted:

What do you mean?

e: In general. I know Hogan and Warrior both had to script the poo poo out of that match to get around their limitations.

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 31, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

What do you mean?

e: In general. I know Hogan and Warrior both had to script the poo poo out of that match to get around their limitations.

That there first match when they rehearsed it, it was good. The second one in which they did not is one of the worst matches ever.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

bobkatt013 posted:

That there first match when they rehearsed it, it was good. The second one in which they did not is one of the worst matches ever.

Well, the second match was 8 years later when neither guy could really go anymore, so I think it would have been bad anyway, rehearsed or not.

edit: corrected by people with better memories than me. My point still stands, though.

CombineThresher fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 31, 2012

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
It was 8 years later

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Fifteen? Try eight.

Wrestlemania VI was in 1990, their second match was Halloween Havoc '98.

EDIT: Beaten, of course. And Warrior could never really go anyway.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CombineThresher posted:

Well, the second match was 15 years later when neither guy could really go anymore, so I think it would have been bad anyway, rehearsed or not.

They also could not figure out how to do a fire spot.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
But even by Hogan standards, and Warrior standards I thought their Mania match was pretty great.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

LordPants posted:

But even by Hogan standards, and Warrior standards I thought their Mania match was pretty great.

Agreed. I was at that Mania and a lot of the appeal was the fact that it was a rare face vs face match, title vs. title, between the two biggest stars at the time. They could've done a 45 minute headlock spot and people would still go buck for it. It was long before Attitude and the nWo and the internet so we were a lot less jaded back then. That said, I've watched the match back and it's perfectly serviceable given the time it happened.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LordPants posted:

Thank Pat Patterson for helping them plan out the match to get the most out of those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
What's a good example of a strong style match? I want to see what the japanese guys were doing that had them convinced pro wrestling could win a real fight.