Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

b0nes posted:

WHat is the name of the "car home" app that you can use while your are driving? Or does that only come with certain versions of Android.

Pretty sure it's just Car Home, and it is just on some Android. Most CM roms seem to have it though.

Edit: I'm fairly sure that Google dropped support for it in ICS, you could recreate it with widgets, or find the apk

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
You should all be using Car Home Ultra anyway.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You should all be using Car Home Ultra anyway.

That app is stupid ugly.

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

It's time to get a little Captain in you!
I had a free copy of Swiftkey from amazon, but I just purchased the google play deal to wean myself off that godawful amazon market.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

TheCaptain posted:

I had a free copy of Swiftkey from amazon, but I just purchased the google play deal to wean myself off that godawful amazon market.

Soundhound was that app for me then Google had that big 10 cent sale and it was one of the apps. Bought it, uninstalled Amazon and never looked back.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I have a problem where "Android OS" is keeping long wake locks and draining the gently caress out of my battery. Is there an app to find out what is doing this?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IT Guy posted:

I have a problem where "Android OS" is keeping long wake locks and draining the gently caress out of my battery. Is there an app to find out what is doing this?

BetterBatteryStats

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Elliotw2 posted:

Pretty sure it's just Car Home, and it is just on some Android. Most CM roms seem to have it though.

Edit: I'm fairly sure that Google dropped support for it in ICS, you could recreate it with widgets, or find the apk

Hell, it's not compatible with my LG Viper, and that's stuck on GB 2.3.7.

(C'mon, LG... you promised every 2012 phone would get the upgrade...)

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

LastInLine posted:

It's not compatible with the Galaxy Nexus either.
Reviews in the Play Store say that it is compatible with a wide range of phones. Can anyone post the apk so I can try it anyways? There shouldn't be any reason it isn't compatible.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Car Home is actually built into my Nexus S 4G, it's been there since GB...did they just randomly remove it or something in future devices?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Car Home is actually built into my Nexus S 4G, it's been there since GB...did they just randomly remove it or something in future devices?

It isn't native to my GSM NS or any other device I've had since the N1 (which had it). I haven't seen it since.

Edit: vvvvv what the hell? Carrier image maybe?

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 2, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Its always been on my GSM Nexus S...

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Speaking of Car Home, is it okay to uninstall it? It's flagged as a system app so I want to make sure that removing it won't break anything.

e: I don't drive, I have no use for it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

the kawaiiest posted:

Speaking of Car Home, is it okay to uninstall it? It's flagged as a system app so I want to make sure that removing it won't break anything.

e: I don't drive, I have no use for it.

Yes.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

b0nes posted:

Reviews in the Play Store say that it is compatible with a wide range of phones. Can anyone post the apk so I can try it anyways? There shouldn't be any reason it isn't compatible.

It's fine on my GNex. I grabbed the apk from the car dock thread on XDA. When I'm not running around, I'll scare up the package and post it if someone else hasn't done so already.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
How the hell can I get my Nexus to stop asking me which browser to open links in every single time? Doesn't matter which browser I use, or how many times I select 'always', the damned thing just keeps asking!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Disable your other browsers until you need them for something specific?

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Even then it asks if I want to use Awful app though. Don't want to stop using that.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there a way to see all the apps that are on sale right now?

And do people have specific recommendations?

I don't really know how to find good apps. All the various "top" lists on the play store always seem to be cartoony games that I'm not really interested in.

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

fuf posted:

Is there a way to see all the apps that are on sale right now?

And do people have specific recommendations?

I don't really know how to find good apps. All the various "top" lists on the play store always seem to be cartoony games that I'm not really interested in.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.tsapps.appsales&hl=en

Been using this for a couple of months, it's pretty decent.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

leonje posted:

That seems perfect, thanks.

(ps. are you the leonje who was in a dod clan called gnvq? I was nx :shobon:)

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Flopstick posted:

Even then it asks if I want to use Awful app though. Don't want to stop using that.

This was a problem for me last week until I uninstalled Awful Betamax. Sorry whoever made the app.

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

fuf posted:

That seems perfect, thanks.

(ps. are you the leonje who was in a dod clan called gnvq? I was nx :shobon:)

why, yes. hello nation of eggs!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

For those of you waiting with bated breath for the return of AppMana, I have to disappoint you by pointing out that it still isn't live. Keep the faith!

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

leonje posted:

Wow, this is a great sale app! Does any App like this have the ability to watch activity of an app and alert you when it goes on sale?

I found Zombies, Run! on sale for 60% off $7.99) this weekend. Already saved me $5! Thanks!

vvvvv 2 posts down: Does Beyondpod use Presto or any variable speed playback utility?

Siroc fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 2, 2012

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to figure out the best solution for a small business that needs to set up a fax without needing to add another line and at the same time have the ability to view these documents on the go. In short, I need an android app that will allow me to do this. I need an iOS app too but I'll save that for theiOS thread unless you guys know of any that are cross compatible.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...y-device-for-2/

Beyond Pod is only $2 for a while as opposed to the $7 or whatever it usually is.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Siroc posted:

Does Beyondpod use Presto or any variable speed playback utility?
It prompts you to buy Presto if you want variable speed playback.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Siroc posted:

vvvvv 2 posts down: Does Beyondpod use Presto or any variable speed playback utility?

It uses Presto.

edit: my gut told me to refresh the page, I ignored it

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Siroc posted:

Wow, this is a great sale app! Does any App like this have the ability to watch activity of an app and alert you when it goes on sale?

I found Zombies, Run! on sale for 60% off $7.99) this weekend. Already saved me $5! Thanks!

I did and found exactly the same thing! Can't wait to try it out but OMG 298mb download!

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
ProCapture - Camera & Panorama is on sale for 99 cents

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.neaststudios.procapture&hl=en

It's a really nice app.

e: Vignette is also on sale

e2: I have too many camera apps

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Is there a good audiobook app for mp3 audiobooks?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

krushgroove posted:

I did and found exactly the same thing! Can't wait to try it out but OMG 298mb download!

It took me forever to download.

So, I've been using Google Music for my running music. Now, Zombies Run! doesn't read playlists from Google Music, so I'm trying winamp. We'll see how this works.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
If anyone likes feedly, or is looking for an awesome Google Reader magazine type app, you should check out the beta for ICS/JB. It took about a day to get an invite. Or you can just wait for the official release on the 10th. It's a huge improvement over the version that's on the market now.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I have to recommend the NASA App if only to have the APOD set to your background image every day. It's fantastic if you're a space geek.

It also has a satellite/ISS tracker and NASA TV.

Edit: sadly the video features require Flash. :(

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 3, 2012

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Web Jew.0 posted:

This was a problem for me last week until I uninstalled Awful Betamax. Sorry whoever made the app.

Hi, please post your bug in this thread, maybe as a reply to Flopsticks post there. It would help to know what device you have on what version and what version of the app was installed.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Is there any consensus on a great PC remote app? I've tried Unified Remote, but the fact that I can't use the Android keyboard to type in apps is pretty much a dealbreaker...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Is there any consensus on a great PC remote app? I've tried Unified Remote, but the fact that I can't use the Android keyboard to type in apps is pretty much a dealbreaker...
Depending on what you're looking for, iTap Mobile Touchpad works great for HTPC-style things. Now that I have AirPlay I don't have a need for it but when I did it was the best solution I came across.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
is Youtube working for anyone? Suddenly the app and in browser doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

b0nes posted:

is Youtube working for anyone? Suddenly the app and in browser doesn't work.

Working good here.

• Locked thread