Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Artificer posted:

This is for 12 unzoomed, 8 zoomed, yes?

Yep. Just swap those numbers for your own personal preference. Personally, I removed "OnRelease DemagnifyZoom" because it resets your zoom level, I prefer to keep it where I left it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem, and it has probably been addressed before, but why do my jets just cut out at seemingly random times? There will be weeks at a time where my jets just work; if I press the button I go up. Lately it only works about 70% of the time. If I am falling, sometimes they just don't turn on. If I am going up a hill, they will cut mid way up and I lose all my speed. Even from a complete stand still, if I hold my button down it will just stop with half my energy left. I can't find a pattern, so I don't know if I should blame lag, the wonky physics that jets have in the first place, or just hirez.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Is probably the jet/dry fire bug. If you press jet at the exact moment you release fire, the jet key will not register. It works the other way around as well, causing dry fires.

HicRic
Dec 4, 2006
To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity.

Wadjamaloo posted:

Is probably the jet/dry fire bug. If you press jet at the exact moment you release fire, the jet key will not register. It works the other way around as well, causing dry fires.

Ah I've been getting this a lot recently, I thought my mouse was breaking!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Nope, your mouse is fine, its just a game breaking bug we have been complaining about for almost a year.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Wadjamaloo posted:

I wish it was. It happens even when I just ski around on my own for fun.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Digging the new thread title.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

I recently got a friend to start playing tribes and he said that every single game he tries to join with his rank 3 account has 2-3 20+ ranked players on one team, making the game completely unfun for everyone. I've tried to get him to keep playing but I can't really blame him for not wanting to since nothing he does will ever have an effect on which team is going to win.

Is there some way for him to avoid this or is this just the way things are?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Double EXP weekend is bugged, my FWotD only netted me 6k and I was at the top of the scoreboard, on a 17 minute game and with Boost. Looks like another :hirez: again. GG Hi-Rez.

Fake Edit: For comparison, my FWotD yesterday on a 12 minute game at the middle of the scoreboard netted me 16k exp.
Reposting this from the previous page. Can anyone confirm that XP is still bugged or if they fixed it? Not getting 6k xp per match is annoying.

UraniumFuelElement posted:

I recently got a friend to start playing tribes and he said that every single game he tries to join with his rank 3 account has 2-3 20+ ranked players on one team, making the game completely unfun for everyone. I've tried to get him to keep playing but I can't really blame him for not wanting to since nothing he does will ever have an effect on which team is going to win.

Is there some way for him to avoid this or is this just the way things are?
Unfortunately, this is pretty much the case in the majority of games. Maybe those rank 20s are joining a low level friend or something, or maybe there aren't enough similarly ranked people online so the matchmaker just tosses them into whatever. I get it all the time on NA East when I'm usually up at 5am CST playing before I go to class.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I spent the last 4 rounds in ninja mode, less than 10 backstabs. gently caress the melee hit detection. I need more inattentive sentinels, and less pathfinders.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Well, ended up on Temple Ruins for the first time in CTF since it's changes.

Sure, we won after I switched to doom when it went to 0-3. But the same loving moron problem of Temple Ruins remains.

Nobody loving notices, or can be bothered to deal with enemies who just hang out on top of the flag ramp. Even if they are being loving obvious raining Raider grenades or MIRVs down, even if the radar sees them, even if there are loving THREE of them on radar and you tell your team. And admit your Doom rear end is too fat to effectively chase them up there without getting mulched on the way up.

Why is our flag always instantly capped the second we get it back you ask? Because they are just waiting then skiiing down the ramp dumbass :argh:

Oh Doom mines. You are my only friend on D.

Bonus: Late match I noticed we had two techs and I had seen not a single tech turret. I guess they put all 4 at the gen :downs: They of course just told me to shut up when I asked for at least one by the flag. But at least the enemy team seemed to have the same problem.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 1, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
My favorite bug is the one where your weapons just disappear, that's a fun one. Also the one where your turrets get stuck somehow and don't ever fire again, just sit there while someone's nuking the gen or something.

I'm still not a huge fan of the EXR turret and it's totally useless on some (most?) maps, but I've found some sweet spots (i.e. just on the other side of hilltops people jump off of) for it here and there outdoors where it's saved flag caps. Still, thing needs better tracking, it's ridiculous how inaccurate it is. After mastering it, though, it's strong enough to take a hit and gets a little more powerful.

It's amazing how many TCNs don't use Motion Sensors on indoor defense. You're totally naked without them indoors and they're *the* best early warning system when you're guarding entrances all alone. They're also crucial to making the EXR and LTR useful outdoors as they allow you to pick up incoming enemies approaching quickly. LTR/EXR on one side of the hill and a motion sensor in the grass on the other has saved my bacon a few times.

I know the ADD capper crowd bitch that anyone defends anything but the flag, ever, still on most maps it's still pretty important - at least in pubs. Our poo poo won't work without the gen and I see tons of base turret kills every game and then there are the maps where it powers a shield around the flag or the flag elevator or something. I wouldn't dedicate more than one TCN to it, but the problem we often have is that no one clears things out when it's infested, so you're stuck trying to clear out three heavies, repair the gen, lay turrets and motion sensors and deal with another attack wave all at once while everyone's dancing around mid-field. Then, when you call for help, some ski jockey starts whining about why you can't clear it out yourself - yeah, I've been playing Tribes since competitive D&D in OGL in Tribes 1. Guess what? A lone engineer can't always knock out 3 heavies infesting a gen room, heh.

Finally, in the OP I noticed that the shotgun was listed as a primary unlock. I'd disagree and say that the TCN's top weapon upgrade is the Thumper. Maybe the TC24 or whatever it's called is second best now that it's been added.

I miss Defend & Destroy :qq: which is why I'm usually on gen defense. Stop in and say hi ^__^

EDIT: Corrected what I said about mastering the EXR, I had something stupid before.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 1, 2012

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

Also, in the OP, I noticed the shotgun was listed. I'd say the TCN's top weapon upgrade is the Thumper. Maybe the TC24 or whatever it's called is second best now that it's been added.

The TC24 is a pretty drat crappy weapon that struggles to kill anything not a light class and even then it's a chore, and the Sawn-Off shotgun is a beast. And with the addition of Repair Kits, you can rll with Thumper and Sawn-Off while still repairing base assets in CTF.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, I hadn't used the TC24, just saw people gabbing about it. I tend to be on Gen D, so I need motion sensors in my pocket and a repair tool handy - the thumper's enough to hold off most incoming for me. On the rare occasion that someone else competent keeps the gen up I do use repair kits on Flag D. Unfortunately, that's almost never for me, heh.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Section Z posted:

Well, ended up on Temple Ruins for the first time in CTF since it's changes.

Sure, we won after I switched to doom when it went to 0-3. But the same loving moron problem of Temple Ruins remains.

Nobody loving notices, or can be bothered to deal with enemies who just hand out on top of the flag ramp. Even if they are being loving obvious raining Raider grenades or MIRVs down, even if the radar sees them, even if there are loving THREE of them and you tell your team.

Why is our flag always instantly capped the second we get it back? Because they are just waiting then skiiing down the ramp dumbass :argh:

Oh Doom mines. You are my only friend on D.

Bonus: Late match I noticed we had two techs and I had seen not a single tech turret. I guess they put all 4 at the gen :downs: They of course just told me to shut up when I asked for at least one by the flag. But at least the enemy team seemed to have the same problem.

I used to live on the roof of the enemy base when the first version came out, it was awesome. now people tend to notice me and my inventory station, especially since there's a couple of spawn points on the roof as of the latest version.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

padijun posted:

I used to live on the roof of the enemy base when the first version came out, it was awesome. now people tend to notice me and my inventory station, especially since there's a couple of spawn points on the roof as of the latest version.
Yeah, even with the roof spawns everyone just went right back down to ground level.

meanwhile, I don't think I'll ever top this combination of opportune timing and enemy idiocy.

I'm playing screwball prism mines Infiltrator on Blitz outskirts. The enemy has had the flag forever preventing our last cap.

After I've gotten a killing spree against people trying to repair the gen, even slow reaction Jugs who dont even turn when I melee them... Their flag holding pathfinder comes into the gen room carrying the flag with a repair gun.

One invisible hop and melee later, I get our flag and a half second later winning cap happens. smooth flagholder. Real smooth.

EDIT: also, all my depth perception goes out the window trying to shoot people on Katabatic.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Section Z posted:

Yeah, even with the roof spawns everyone just went right back down to ground level.

meanwhile, I don't think I'll ever top this combination of opportune timing and enemy idiocy.

I'm playing screwball prism mines Infiltrator on Blitz outskirts. The enemy has had the flag forever preventing our last cap.

After I've gotten a killing spree against people trying to repair the gen, even slow reaction Jugs who dont even turn when I melee them... Their flag holding pathfinder comes into the gen room carrying the flag with a repair gun.

One invisible hop and melee later, I get our flag and a half second later winning cap happens. smooth flagholder. Real smooth.

EDIT: also, all my depth perception goes out the window trying to shoot people on Katabatic.

I have been getting hosed by Prism mines all day today, and now I must have them. Maybe it's because nobody ever loving uses them, so they don't think to look for them. I'm still on the fence about having to ditch my smoke grenades though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

sitchelin posted:

I have been getting hosed by Prism mines all day today, and now I must have them. Maybe it's because nobody ever loving uses them, so they don't think to look for them. I'm still on the fence about having to ditch my smoke grenades though.
One of the great joys of having all the belt toys, is that you switch out to whatever one will give you the most fun during a match.

"Hmm, enemy flag holder is holing up into the gen room on outskirts." Once switch to sticky grenades later, everyone is dead and the flat is returned.

EDIT: Also, don't be a dumbass like me and take three matches to realized dropping a mine uncloaks you.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 2, 2012

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I really wish there was team damage on by default, even if it was only something like 25%. Going through rounds where the other team puts 3 juggs rotating mirv shots onto their flag is incredibly annoying.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ZypherIM posted:

I really wish there was team damage on by default, even if it was only something like 25%. Going through rounds where the other team puts 3 juggs rotating mirv shots onto their flag is incredibly annoying.
As amazing as that would be, I could see some problems.

Your doombringer's mines got set of. Welp, everyone on the stand is dead. Free flag grabs!

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I misread that, but that doesn't seem to be a big deal in PUGs. There really shouldn't be more than one person on the stand.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Section Z posted:

Your doombringer's mines got set of. Welp, everyone on the stand is dead. Free flag grabs!

There is an easy solution: don't step on your HoFs mines and kill the enemy offense.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm deliberately buying the most expensive things I do not have yet while the experience flows freely.

I'm skipping the Twinfusors and the tech TC24. So for next goal my decision point is the Gladiator or Plasma cannon. Already have the Nova colt, Plasma Cannon looks like the safe bet but I keep seeing Brutes getting hilarious killstreaks with the Gladiator

Aside from the 42k soldier proximity grenades (and brute shields which I've been told are garbage), everything else I want is in the 18-14k price range.

EDIT: Devastator not = gladiator. Devastator is cheap purchase anyways.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 2, 2012

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Section Z posted:

The real problem is the trolling potential.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Section Z posted:

I'm deliberately buying the most expensive things I do not have yet while the experience flows freely.

I'm skipping the Twinfusors and the tech TC24. So for next goal my decision point is the Gladiator or Plasma cannon. Already have the Nova colt, Plasma Cannon looks like the safe bet but I keep seeing Brutes getting hilarious killstreaks with the Gladiator

Aside from the 42k soldier proximity grenades (and brute shields which I've been told are garbage), everything else I want is in the 18-14k price range.

EDIT: Devastator not = gladiator. Devastator is cheap purchase anyways.

I just grabbed the Gladiator. It's okay, it's certainly an indoor weapon. The projectile's hitbox is pretty generous, so MA's are pretty easy if you absolutely have to do any outdoor fighting. It's like a middle ground between the Titan and a Bolt Launcher. The funny thing is, the splash damage does more damage than a direct hit if all 3 bursts hit your target. I've actually been killed because I was aiming for splash damage, got a direct hit, and it wasn't enough to kill the dude and he finished me off.

1120 - Direct Hit
800 + 500 + 400 - Splash (Total 1700)

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 2, 2012

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
So far I've taken this opportunity to unlock and master and pay off anything I had in the 14-18k range that I knew wasn't a complete abortion.

Also all the cheap infiltrator stuff, which left me never wanting to play inf again.

So naturally today's deal was 75% off the stealth spinfusor. :negative:

On the bright side, Wheel Deal will never show up as a daily deal again, whereas I've had weeks where it's been my daily every loving day.

What's fun in the 42k+ range? I think it's time I work on something that isn't a pain in the rear end.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Meldonox posted:

So far I've taken this opportunity to unlock and master and pay off anything I had in the 14-18k range that I knew wasn't a complete abortion.

Also all the cheap infiltrator stuff, which left me never wanting to play inf again.

You know what's weird is that, even though I've unlocked the Stealth Spinfuser and Jackal, I have a lot more fun with the Infiltrator with his Arctic Rhino. The secondary pistols are okay but I wish one of them was an automatic SMG like the Rhino. I had to use it a lot to get the exp for the Jackal (and then the Spinfuser came up like two days later as DD :negative:), and in the end I enjoyed that more, even though I don't feel nearly as effective.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Safari Disco Lion posted:

You know what's weird is that, even though I've unlocked the Stealth Spinfuser and Jackal, I have a lot more fun with the Infiltrator with his Arctic Rhino. The secondary pistols are okay but I wish one of them was an automatic SMG like the Rhino. I had to use it a lot to get the exp for the Jackal (and then the Spinfuser came up like two days later as DD :negative:), and in the end I enjoyed that more, even though I don't feel nearly as effective.

I could get behind automatics if they did like six times the amount of damage they do to make up for the fact that I can't hit the broad side of a barn. I can rack up a respectable number of kills in a match with the jackal and (as I found out today) stealth spinfusor, but anything requiring more precision than pointing in the general direction of my target always seems to fall flat.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 2, 2012

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
It's so frustrating to play for more than two hours without getting a win :sigh:

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
God I suck with the phase rifle, why did I buy this. I seem to miss more with this than the base sniper somehow.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

asterioth posted:

God I suck with the phase rifle, why did I buy this. I seem to miss more with this than the base sniper somehow.

I'm getting the same problem with the NJ5-B. And yet everyone else that uses it is able to land every shot on me while skiing from at least a third of the map away.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
How the hell are you supposed to body block as a solider? I know you're supposed to go out to meet the capper, but I feel like if I can get myself lined up enough to actually do it it just means that I'm about to get a disc to the face.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

GrumpyDoctor posted:

How the hell are you supposed to body block as a solider? I know you're supposed to go out to meet the capper, but I feel like if I can get myself lined up enough to actually do it it just means that I'm about to get a disc to the face.

I thought the better plan as SoF was to toss prox-grenades in the capper's path so you send them off course. (Which either makes them suicide or start a newer and slower route.)

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Whoever designed the latest map needs to be punched in the neck and never allowed to make another one. It is by far the worst CTF experience I've ever had, even when we're winning. It's even worse than Temple Ruins.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Thor-Stryker posted:

I thought the better plan as SoF was to toss prox-grenades in the capper's path so you send them off course. (Which either makes them suicide or start a newer and slower route.)

Well I try to do that too.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Thor-Stryker posted:

This.

Body blocking is a last resort thing for a SoF. If you can see him long enough to line up, you can chain or hit him with a DX! You can also use proxys like a mine, toss them directly at the flag at the last second before he hits.

e:fb

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I got the Prox grenades recently. Jesus it's hard to hit anything if it isn't slamming it directly into the enemy's face. Some screwing around on target practice and it turns out they will only detonate from proximity if it's in slapping distance of the enemy (plus I found out they bounce off the generator back into your face, OW).

I'm having just no luck at all using it for Flag D unless I can spike it directly into somebody's incoming face. Spam three into the shielded Flagstand of sunstar, and a less than 200 Heavy just scoots on through grabbing the flag with none of them hitting him at all :argh:. Or I spike one down at the flag and then if bounces over the capper's passing head harmlessly, etc. Even with the radius rank up, or saftey third on.

I guess it will take some practice and getting used to the timing of throw vs incoming. But seriously underwhelming after the talks on Flag D with them. Or just hopes of whipping them at somebody as they pass by without neat spot on accuracy.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
Concerning the information in the OP, I can change direction mid-ski by letting go of space and hitting a strafe key correct? Also how useful is the soldier class in non team deathmatch modes? I am mostly playing as soldier because of how he has a stronger spinfusor than the pathfinder and a good balance of health and speed.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mushball posted:

Concerning the information in the OP, I can change direction mid-ski by letting go of space and hitting a strafe key correct?
No. Below a certain speed threshold you can strafe while skiing. Above that threshold, tap jump or jump/jet to do a small hop and turn with air strafing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I learned something today. I learned that if a Sentinel puts his Drop jammer in a corner nook and stands inside it, a Throwing knife+meleeing combo to the side of their head will hit the jammer instead of them.

Had prism mines on me, so not like I could sticky them instead (same would have gone for smokes).

Yeesh.

• Locked thread