Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Did you actually watch all of Citizen Khan? It certainly isn't a very good comedy but accusations of it being offensive are ridiculous. It is literally the tamest, most diluted and boring sitcom the BBC has ever put out. People who didn't watch it just hear 'muslims!' and proceed to get outraged over some presumed slight.

But quite why they decided to make a sitcom about a minor character from poorly received shows Down the Line/Bellamy's People in the first place is totally beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

Red Dwarf X will start on Thursday 4th October at 9pm

Here's hoping it's better than series 8. Back to Earth gives me some reassurance that it will be.

Eugh. I feel like Pennywise the dancing clown yelling "you're too old, you're all too old".

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Captain Mediocre posted:

Did you actually watch all of Citizen Khan? It certainly isn't a very good comedy but accusations of it being offensive are ridiculous. It is literally the tamest, most diluted and boring sitcom the BBC has ever put out. People who didn't watch it just hear 'muslims!' and proceed to get outraged over some presumed slight.

But quite why they decided to make a sitcom about a minor character from poorly received shows Down the Line/Bellamy's People in the first place is totally beyond me.

Yeah it wasn't very good.

Has Paxo left Newsnight? He hasn't been on for a couple of months.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

I have just watched it now, knowing full well it was going to be tame, bland, lowest common denominator and utterly inoffensive because it's a BBC 1 primetime show.
And I was right.

text posted:

However, Citizen Khan is awful and borderline offensive. How can the BBC air such a shite show in 2012, it's like a bad sitcom out of the 80s.

Offensive because it's bad, or offensive-to-muslims?

The only people who should be offended are people who wanted something funny.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Captain Mediocre posted:

Citizen Khan was bad, but I wouldn't say DTL or Bellamy's People were poorly received. They weren't very popular, but they were very funny

And there's been worse and more watered down than Citizen Khan. My Family springs to mind

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Citizen Khan was bad, but I wouldn't say DTL or Bellamy's People were poorly received. They weren't very popular, but they were very funny

And there's been worse and more watered down than Citizen Khan. My Family springs to mind

Or In with the Flynns. Not that I've ever seen it, but the adverts make me recoil in horror.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
:siren: Ian Beale's hat of homelessness has now been removed. :siren:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Shelf Adventure posted:

:siren: Ian Beale's hat of homelessness has now been removed. :siren:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > [UK] The Great British programme discussion. Ian Beale's hat of homelessness

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
iPlayer has an absolutely fantastic Who Do You Think You Are with Patrick Stewart, looking into his father's experiences with WW2.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Giedroyc posted:

Eugh. I feel like Pennywise the dancing clown yelling "you're too old, you're all too old".

The characters that have most visibly aged are the hologram and the android.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Good Cop was great!

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

c0burn posted:

Good Cop was great!

I found the title very misleading. He wasn't a good cop at all.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

The worst one I can think of is the one with Jasper Carrot and that kid in the wheelchair who "narrated" it.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Captain Mediocre posted:

Adil Ray is a pretty charismatic guy who also works for BBC Asian Network. I think maybe they gave HIM a show rather than specifically his character.

I watched it and it felt like Mr Khan's Boys, but not as rude, especially given its timeslot.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Some very gratuitous nudity (boobs) in this weeks Parade's End, at just ten minutes past the watershed as well. Still excellent.

e: to clarify there was a tiny amount of artistic justification and I don't care. Just a bit surprising, perhaps they are going for the whole outraged article with large picture in Daily Mail advertising strategy.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 31, 2012

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's a HBO co-production and by their standards, it's very chaste.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Titanic was a 12!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

Titanic was a 12!

Given the number of films Kate Winslet's been topless or naked in, it's possible the censors simply didn't notice.

On TV talk, my dad was watching a recording of that Secret History of Islam programme and got annoyed that me and my mum kept discussing how much plastic surgery the female US talking head had undergone. And I loved the use of black & white film; nothing says cultural superiority like a middle-class tool talking about flaws in the history of a religion over Pathé film in the background.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Media Guardian spitting out sick burns against Daybreak and Breakfast http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/aug/31/overhauled-daybreak-bbc-breakfast

MediaGraun posted:

Daybreak gets a relaunch – but does BBC Breakfast need one too?

Next week, Daybreak will celebrate two momentous occasions as it marks not only two full years on air, but also unveils its third attempt to convince anyone to actually watch it. After the failure of Daybreak's initial launch, with its murky purples and berserk crack-of-dawn good cop/bad cop routines from Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley, and its subsequent taped-together stopgap period where everyone was content to daub yellow paint over everything and pretend that they were all still on GMTV, ITV is obviously hoping it will be third-time-lucky.

From Monday, Daybreak's new presenters will be Aled Jones and Lorraine Kelly. In addition, we're promised a new studio and a brand-new feel. ITV's director of television Peter Fincham seems to have been going out of his way to lower expectations of the relaunched show, but it certainly can't be any worse than what's gone before. Daybreak needs fixing. But then so does its breakfast TV rival on BBC1.

And at least Daybreak is doing something about it. The new hosting lineup doesn't exactly scream hard news, but Daybreak has already proved that it can't do hard news very well. Kelly and Jones are the sort of presenters you can imagine cooing at pictures of baby animals for two hours or modelling a succession of novelty jumpers knitted by viewers. All the signs are that Daybreak will become a haven for those seeking to be eased into each morning by a friendly face, a handful of gentle interviews and a surfeit of heartwarming human interest stories. Admittedly, that's not for everyone. But it's surely better than a furious Adrian Chiles.

And it's not as if the competition for breakfast viewers is that stiff – BBC Breakfast's move to Manchester appears to have hobbled it fatally, with no solution in sight. Such a busy show thrives on the quality of guests it can book, and the prospect of a four-hour schlep up a motorway to spend six minutes promoting a product at a bored interviewer seems to be putting people off.

More and more interviews now take place over a video link or in the form of pretaped junket clips– on the rare occasion that the sofa does get dusted off to accommodate a guest, it's for someone nobody really cares about. This morning, for example, guests included The One Show's Anita Rani (talking about her new BBC show) and Castaway's Ben Fogle (talking about his new book about all the animal shows he's made for the BBC). Earlier in the week it was Beverly Callard, talking about her role in an upcoming touring theatrical production of Little Voice. Even if it turns out to be the greatest touring theatrical version of Little Voice the country has ever seen, it's hard to see how Callard would have been booked had the show still been in London.

BBC Breakfast may improve soon — it only started broadcasting from Manchester in April, so many of its wrinkles could still be ironed out – but in the meantime the show is arguably holding on to its ratings lead by default, rather than brilliance.

And Daybreak could soon be in a position to challenge Breakfast's dominance. From next week it'll have a pair of personable guests, an agenda that isn't hellbent on providing half-baked hard news and a location that couldn't be more guest -friendly if it tried. With competition as weak as it is – where, for instance, is an effective third -party Big Breakfast-style show? — the only thing that Daybreak has to fear is its own ineptitude. Although let's be honest, this is Daybreak we're talking about. That's quite a realistic fear.

I kind of hope the new Daybreak will be less of a laughing stock because I feel bad for the people who work on it, they're nice people and it sucks that their show is bad.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

quote:

Earlier in the week it was Beverly Callard, talking about her role in an upcoming touring theatrical production of Little Voice. Even if it turns out to be the greatest touring theatrical version of Little Voice the country has ever seen, it's hard to see how Callard would have been booked had the show still been in London.

Yes, how dare they report on something that might be of interest to all those grubby provincial peasants? Just because they aren't physically in London doesn't mean that they can stop behaving as though the sun shines out of Buckingham Palace's arse. I mean, really. Thin end of the wedge. If this carries on then there's a risk the BBC might start making programmes that might actually be relevant to people in the provinces! And that would never do.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Trin Tragula posted:

Yes, how dare they report on something that might be of interest to all those grubby provincial peasants? Just because they aren't physically in London doesn't mean that they can stop behaving as though the sun shines out of Buckingham Palace's arse. I mean, really. Thin end of the wedge. If this carries on then there's a risk the BBC might start making programmes that might actually be relevant to people in the provinces! And that would never do.

That's not really the point they're making. It's not that this theatrical production is of less interest to Londoners than provincials, rather that this theatrical production is of less interest to everyone than the kind of guests they could get to come into the studio if they weren't filming it in Manchester.

Like it or not, the nature of a show with regular 5-minute interviews means it really does need to be based in London if they are going to maintain the quality of guests, guests who don't need a 5-minute slot badly enough to travel half a day for it. Doesn't matter which side of the M25 you're from as an audience member.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Why did they decide to up it all and move to Salford anyways? before Ideal I never even heard of the place myself...

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Media Guardian spitting out sick burns against Daybreak and Breakfast http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/aug/31/overhauled-daybreak-bbc-breakfast

I kind of hope the new Daybreak will be less of a laughing stock because I feel bad for the people who work on it, they're nice people and it sucks that their show is bad.

Remember when channel 4 're-launched' "RI:SE" and it became even shitter somehow?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gonna have to disagree, did a Google lookup to see who replaced Iain Lee on RI:SE as I thought it ended with him, and C4 said this:

quote:

Join RI:SE anchor Mark Durden Smith and Edith Bowman - plus Colin Murray, Kirsty Gallacher, Chris Rodgers, Liz Bonnin and Henry Bonsu - as they present an exciting and unique blend of news, sport and weather updates.

'That sounds crap' thinks I, and then I realise that that was the original show and Iain Lee was the relaunch. I'm sorry, but there was nothing funnier than Lee taking the piss out of Kate Lawler to her face for 2 hours before work in the morning. Crap telly, sure, but so much fun.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I also loved Iain Lee on RI:SE and was sad when they stopped making it

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I don't think the quality of BBC Breakfast has declined much. Its always been poo poo. I once e-mailled to complain about their constant coverage of Strictly Come Dancing. They did not care.

Breakfast TV is a bit redundant nowadays. I usually just watch something on Sky+ from the night before. Lorraine Kelly could be awesome though.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

I like the on screen chemistry between the presenters. It's always so very obvious that every woman who has to sit beside him thinks that Bill Turnball is a complete bellend.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I didn't known where to post this, but this thread is full of knowledgeable folk so I'm putting it here. I have a tune in my head, it's been there for as long as I can remember. I think it is the incidental or theme music to a British kids' TV show. One with a narrator, and a style similar to Mr Benn, maybe. It's about all I can manage.

My interpretation of the tune, made using VST software, is here, and aside from not knowing if it's in the correct key, and not knowing how it ends exactly, it is exactly as I remember it (bassoon for a bit, trumpet for a bit, xylophone or something, maybe more added stuff I'm not sure). I was hoping one of you - please God at least one of you - will know what it is.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I didn't known where to post this, but this thread is full of knowledgeable folk so I'm putting it here. I have a tune in my head, it's been there for as long as I can remember. I think it is the incidental or theme music to a British kids' TV show. One with a narrator, and a style similar to Mr Benn, maybe. It's about all I can manage.

My interpretation of the tune, made using VST software, is here, and aside from not knowing if it's in the correct key, and not knowing how it ends exactly, it is exactly as I remember it (bassoon for a bit, trumpet for a bit, xylophone or something, maybe more added stuff I'm not sure). I was hoping one of you - please God at least one of you - will know what it is.

It's not Morph is it?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Captain Mediocre posted:

Like it or not, the nature of a show with regular 5-minute interviews means it really does need to be based in London if they are going to maintain the quality of guests, guests who don't need a 5-minute slot badly enough to travel half a day for it. Doesn't matter which side of the M25 you're from as an audience member.

What exactly determines the quality of a guest, especially in the context of a breakfast show? Why are guests based in Greater London inherently of more quality than ones based in Greater Manchester? It's sub-One-Show lightweight welcome-to-the-day stuff that helps your toast go down a bit easier, they could put anyone on that sofa and make it interesting and entertaining if they put a bit of thought into what they were doing.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
If it's just incidental music that makes it really hard.

Best I can think of is King Rollo or Towser, they are sort of Mr Benn style but their soundtrack was mostly sort of band based funk type stuff.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Trin Tragula posted:

What exactly determines the quality of a guest, especially in the context of a breakfast show? Why are guests based in Greater London inherently of more quality than ones based in Greater Manchester?

I think it's more a matter of population density than anything else. There are simply far more people within easy travel distance of London than there are Manchester.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
I used to watch RI:SE before school, it was very funny for early morning. I seem to remember being a bit in love with a sexy newsreader on there...

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bloodbath posted:

I used to watch RI:SE before school, it was very funny for early morning. I seem to remember being a bit in love with a sexy newsreader on there...

Zora Suleman. :allears:

I was 14 or so. Watched every morning, never heard a bloody word of the actual news.

Leovinus fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 2, 2012

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
To a certain extent, it's the existance of BBC News 24 that allows Breakfast to spend less time on the serious stuff and provide the more lighthearted wakeup telly.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

sex pervert posted:

I like the on screen chemistry between the presenters. It's always so very obvious that every woman who has to sit beside him thinks that Bill Turnball is a complete bellend.

I met him once and he was alright. He dissuaded me from studying journalism, so I owe him that I guess.

goatface posted:

I think it's more a matter of population density than anything else. There are simply far more people within easy travel distance of London than there are Manchester.

Yeah this. Or because i can't bear the thought of a world beyond islington

Captain Mediocre fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 2, 2012

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Leovinus posted:

Zora Suleman. :allears:

I was 14 or so. Watched every morning, never heard a bloody word of the actual news.

I like the BBC3 60 second news lady.

"Coming up next is Family Guy."

:allears:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I don't care how attractive she is, that's never a nice thing to hear...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Captain Mediocre posted:

Yeah this. Or because i can't bear the thought of a world beyond islington

Your fears are true, it is a wasteland. Stay where you are AND REMAIN INDOORS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I have a tune in my head, it's been there for as long as I can remember. I think it is the incidental or theme music to a British kids' TV show. One with a narrator, and a style similar to Mr Benn, maybe. It's about all I can manage.

My interpretation of the tune, made using VST software, is here

It is bothering me enormously that I don't know this, because it means my one true skill is flagging. I can sing you songs from Chips' Comic for flip's sake, I should be on top of this.

So we might have to do some work to hunt this down. My first stop was King Rollo. That's definitely a bit sort-of Mr Ben-ish, and its theme tune isn't a million miles from your tune (though it's definitely not that). That series is full of incidental music, in the couple of episodes I've skimmed through on Youtube just now I heard about four entirely separate pieces, none of them yours, but it could be in there somewhere.

I suggest starting with a programme you remember watching but that is at least slightly forgotten now, and keep thumbing through the related links in case you're reminded of any programmes you'd totally forgot you ever watched. You might find it.