Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Has anyone had luck getting a G9x mouse to play well with OSX? I'd love to get the side buttons working.

Have you tried Logitech Control Center? It'll sort of mess with the default mouse settings in terms of acceleration, etc. from what ships default with OSX, but it's worked pretty much flawlessly from 10.5 through to 10.8 now.

I should clarify that I have an MX Revolution, but I just wanted to check whether you'd tried the software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do not install the logitech poo poo. Use bettertouchtool and map buttons to gestures.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Do not install the logitech poo poo. Use bettertouchtool and map buttons to gestures.

Just out of curiosity, why not? I've been using the logitech software for probably 5 or 6 years now without a single problem.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BTT does everything better?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

evil_bunnY posted:

BTT does everything better?

Like what? I've been the logitech software with my MX Revolution and M510 with no issues whatsoever. I've had the Revolution for like 4 years.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Like what? I've been the logitech software with my MX Revolution and M510 with no issues whatsoever. I've had the Revolution for like 4 years.
App-specific bindings in my case (I have another, non-logitech pointer).

e: TBH, I tried the drivers once and like BTT better but my opinion of their PC software may have tainted my judgement at the time.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 2, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I looked up the G9X and it only has Windows support. So BTT might be your only option with that mouse.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Martytoof posted:

Just out of curiosity, why not? I've been using the logitech software for probably 5 or 6 years now without a single problem.

Anecdotal Experience Zone ahead

I stopped using the LCC software after I found it was causing system slowdowns and it was causing kernel panics unless I regularly rebuilt the extensions cache on my 11-inch MBA. Haven't used it since v3.5.1 and I've had no problems either. :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, no I don't mean to imply that my opinion is in some way superior to anyone else, and my experience is certainly anecdotal as well. Just when given such a strong opinion against LCC I figured there was some amazing reason it was deemed "poo poo" and not just another opinion.

I would agree that a lot of OEM-ware can be poo poo, but I think LCC is a pleasant exception.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, no I don't mean to imply that my opinion is in some way superior to anyone else
WE KNOW YOUR KIND, MISTER!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean just because I have a PhD and a nobel prize in physics doesn't mean I'm better than any of you peons.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, no I don't mean to imply that my opinion is in some way superior to anyone else, and my experience is certainly anecdotal as well. Just when given such a strong opinion against LCC I figured there was some amazing reason it was deemed "poo poo" and not just another opinion.

I would agree that a lot of OEM-ware can be poo poo, but I think LCC is a pleasant exception.
I think most of it stems from earlier versions using an Unsanity "haxie" thing to make their poo poo work, which was known for causing issues. I remember it making systems unbootable after some system point update for example.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's kind of like the hate against Coconut Battery. Sure, it tells you what System Profiler can give you, but it's still free, and so far it's the first battery utility that was modded for compatibility for Mountain Lion and is still being actively maintained as far as I can tell.

But the sheer mention of it causes people to recoil in horror and say it sucks, even though it gives you a little handy database for tracking your battery's capacity which I have yet to see in other battery utilities.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 3, 2012

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
The hate for Coconut stems from the nerds who constantly obsess over their battery, not the program itself.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

evil_bunnY posted:

App-specific bindings in my case (I have another, non-logitech pointer).

e: TBH, I tried the drivers once and like BTT better but my opinion of their PC software may have tainted my judgement at the time.
LCC does app specific bindings as well.

If there is a complaint that I have for LCC, it is that I have to mod the config file for it to recognise my MX1100 mouse because it was a part of the Wave Keyboard kit, which is incompatible with Macs

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just figured out the hard way that screen sharing doesn't work on the retina MBP unless you switch to a non-HIDPI setting using SwitchResX or something similar. Radio silence from MS about it. I really hope this gets fixed quickly.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I think I have found the single USB mouse that doesn't work with OS X. It's a Targus AMU2601EUK retractable wire thingy. The LED turns on when I plug it in and the first time it popped up the Apple Wireless Keyboard wizard (!?). Works fine on a Windows machine.

Googling popped up a thread with someone having the same issue, but that's it. The Targus site doesn't have any drivers, either.

Not much to do, is there?

I don't really know if it belongs in a software or hardware thread, could be both.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Does the text input area in Messages show at a slightly smaller size or something? The spacing feels cramped to me.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
On iTunes: how do I get it to sort according to date added while having a chronological track listing?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Didion posted:

On iTunes: how do I get it to sort according to date added while having a chronological track listing?

Click to sort by album, then again, and once more will sort by Artist, then album release. I assume this is what you meant. EDIT:I guess not, you said date added. Don't know.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Didion posted:

You can't really. When you import a folder iTunes goes random on it so even though you've got a 01 First Track.mp3 it might add 08 Spaghetti Sauce.mp3 first.

You can make a smart playlist which will show only "recently added" tracks up to a certain date ago, and then sort by regular album order.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I just had an extraordinary experience. I was faffing about online, when suddenly the computer froze and a message popped up urging me to forcibly shut it down and restart. In the five years I've been working with Macs, I had never seen such a message, so, slightly alarmed, I ran an internet search for what just happened. I discovered that I had just experienced a MacOS kernel panic (what Windows would call a "blue screen of death"). After five years of intense, day-to-day usage, including games and system intensive media editing software, my computer finally crashed for the first time. Five years.

I love you, Apple.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, these days it's a rare sight.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Does the text input area in Messages show at a slightly smaller size or something? The spacing feels cramped to me.

Smaller than iChat? Seems about the same to me - too small. That it's un-resizable is irritating. But I continue to use it anyway... <sigh>

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I ended up going with BTT and it worked perfectly. Within 30 seconds of opening it I had my G9x configured exactly how I wanted. Great program.

Jolan posted:

I just had an extraordinary experience. I was faffing about online, when suddenly the computer froze and a message popped up urging me to forcibly shut it down and restart. In the five years I've been working with Macs, I had never seen such a message, so, slightly alarmed, I ran an internet search for what just happened. I discovered that I had just experienced a MacOS kernel panic (what Windows would call a "blue screen of death"). After five years of intense, day-to-day usage, including games and system intensive media editing software, my computer finally crashed for the first time. Five years.

I love you, Apple.

As bored as I am with the somewhat stale color palette and general look of the current Apple lineup, these reasons are why I don't jump to Google for tablets and MS for a desktop OS. The quality and consistency is ridiculous. I always have to laugh when I hear people say Apple stuff is horribly overpriced and hear how they gently caress over their customers. Apple treats us with respect and knows we want really, really good quality all around. I can't remember the last time I really felt like I was dicked around by the company or their products. Even my ridiculously old MBP would run fine if it had a working battery.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Wario In Real Life posted:

You can't really. When you import a folder iTunes goes random on it so even though you've got a 01 First Track.mp3 it might add 08 Spaghetti Sauce.mp3 first.

You can make a smart playlist which will show only "recently added" tracks up to a certain date ago, and then sort by regular album order.

Oh wow, really? Thanks for the clarification . :)

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

strokevictim posted:

Smaller than iChat? Seems about the same to me - too small. That it's un-resizable is irritating. But I continue to use it anyway... <sigh>

Sorry—I meant smaller than the message display area. Once I see them sent or received, it looks a little better, but the input area is cramped.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Sorry—I meant smaller than the message display area. Once I see them sent or received, it looks a little better, but the input area is cramped.

Yep - it's smaller. I thought you might be asking if that area is smaller than it was in iChat... and to me, it's about the same size. Far too small considering how much of space it tends to waste with Bubbles and whatnot turned on.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, these days it's a rare sight.

You know what's not a rare sight these days? NVIDIA driver flip-outs that manifest as "NVDA channel exception" in the system logs when NVIDIA's poo poo-rear end garbage drivers take a poo poo. It might as well be a kernel panic, because it's completely unrecoverable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

chutwig posted:

You know what's not a rare sight these days? NVIDIA driver flip-outs that manifest as "NVDA channel exception" in the system logs when NVIDIA's poo poo-rear end garbage drivers take a poo poo. It might as well be a kernel panic, because it's completely unrecoverable.

That's weird. Are they the stock drivers or are you installing aftermarket drivers?

I'm running a 6870 but I was thinking about throwing an NVIDIA card in my next machine (but I'll leave the hackintosh chat for the appropriate thread)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

As bored as I am with the somewhat stale color palette and general look of the current Apple lineup, these reasons are why I don't jump to Google for tablets and MS for a desktop OS. The quality and consistency is ridiculous. I always have to laugh when I hear people say Apple stuff is horribly overpriced and hear how they gently caress over their customers. Apple treats us with respect and knows we want really, really good quality all around. I can't remember the last time I really felt like I was dicked around by the company or their products. Even my ridiculously old MBP would run fine if it had a working battery.
The hardware is decent and the OS consistently needs a shitton more regression-testing and performance tuning before being allowed into the wild. This is speaking as someone who owns 5 grand of apple stuff.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
This is borderline hardware/software. I'm looking for a way to keep using my external monitor as my only display. So far I have my E-Mac set up with Screen Spanning Doctor so my main desktop is on the monitor, with the E-Mac's display as a second display. But this gives me two issues. I'm on OSX Tiger.

1) If I move the mouse the right of the screen, it can go off the edge. This might seem like a minor irritation but I'd like a way to disable this if possible.

2) The E-mac screen is still on. I've cranked the resolution and contrast right down but presumably the E-Mac's CRT still has a finite life and I see no reason to have the screen running if I'm not using it.

I tried using ScreenChangerX and some other program to set the default res of the E-Mac to 1600x900, so the external monitor would work but the E-Mac screen wouldn't, but no luck so far. I also tried using boot.plist but I'm on Tiger so I don't think the system looks for or uses that.

Finally, is there any danger in sitting the E-Mac on the carpet under the desk? I can't see any X-Box 360 style ventilation that could be blocked at the bottom.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Martytoof posted:

That's weird. Are they the stock drivers or are you installing aftermarket drivers?

I'm running a 6870 but I was thinking about throwing an NVIDIA card in my next machine (but I'll leave the hackintosh chat for the appropriate thread)

Stock drivers on a retina MBP. It's a known issue that's been around since ML beta, but Apple ended up shipping Mountain Lion with broken drivers and maybe NVIDIA will deliver working drivers at some point in the future. There's all sorts of poo poo that can trigger the crash, my favorite of which is turning on MapsGL in Google Maps in Safari, which results in an almost-instantaneous explosion.

This isn't new to ML either; NVIDIA delivered some seriously buggy drivers for a few point releases during Lion that caused my old MBP to blow up playing Starcraft 2, among other things.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Has anyone else seen planet49/"win an ipad" popups here?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What are you guys using for Terminal/iTerm fonts?

I keep bouncing between Lucida Console (with the vertical spacing lowered) and Menlo. I like non-antialiased fonts like Proggy but they're far too small (11pt?), especially on an Air.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Jolan posted:

I love you, Apple.

To be fair, that's a pretty rare site on these days with Windows PC's also. I don't think I've had one since Vista.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Bob Morales posted:

I keep bouncing between Lucida Console (with the vertical spacing lowered) and Menlo. I like non-antialiased fonts like Proggy but they're far too small (11pt?), especially on an Air.

I'm a big Monaco fan, but it looks like crap if it's not anti-aliased.

edit: what's the appeal of aliased fonts (if you'll forgive my removal of your double negative), when OS X handles anti-aliasing, and font-rendering in general, so well?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lexicon posted:

edit: what's the appeal of aliased fonts (if you'll forgive my removal of your double negative), when OS X handles anti-aliasing, and font-rendering in general, so well?

They're cleaner, especially at small font sizes. But of course they don't scale so if you're not a 15" 1280x800 laptop they can be hard to see.

Clockwise from upper left - 13 pt Lucida, 13 point Ubuntu, Menlo 13, Proggy Clean 10pt

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I've always been a big fan of inconsolata, but you're right: at 11(or is it 10)pt it's drat hard to see on a 13" MBA and it doesn't look as crisp at larger settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I've been using ProFontX for a while now. It's more or less like the Monaco 9 bitmap with a bunch of little tweaks here and there. Unlike Monaco, ProFont keeps its shape/proportions at all sizes and with antialiasing, kind of bizarro looking and sort of fugly...but if you like the Monaco 9 shape it's nice.