Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Hit them with weapons or spells until they die.

That's the plan, anyway. Summoning sunbro really makes it trivial. I'm just unlucky not very good at this

edit: poo poo, double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

areyoucontagious posted:

How do I go into offline mode? Do I need to cut my internet?

Stay in hallow form and never use your humanity to turn into a human. If you do that, people cannot invade you and you can't summon co-op help.

Also, what are the various punishments for losing PvP as an invader? Is it like losing to a normal enemy where you just have to go back to your death site and touch your blood stain?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

misterdoo01 posted:

Stay in hallow form and never use your humanity to turn into a human. If you do that, people cannot invade you and you can't summon co-op help.

Also, what are the various punishments for losing PvP as an invader? Is it like losing to a normal enemy where you just have to go back to your death site and touch your blood stain?

Your bloodstain appears where you used your red orb, not where you died. You also wake up at the bonfire still human.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

misterdoo01 posted:

Right, but if I want to use the NPC summon and not get invaded by hackers, is there no option for offline play? Also, he just messaged me:

"Get good kid, it's called a shotel"

Yeah huh, it was definitely the shotel that soaked my pyro damage. :rolleyes:

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

areyoucontagious posted:

Right, but if I want to use the NPC summon and not get invaded by hackers, is there no option for offline play? Also, he just messaged me:

"Get good kid, it's called a shotel"

Yeah huh, it was definitely the shotel that soaked my pyro damage. :rolleyes:

You can tank your FPS and it will put you into offline mode so there is an offline mode in there somewhere.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hilarious way to cheese O+S: High stab shield + crossbow. It's depressing how effective it is.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So is Kalameet meant to be like the biggest baddest boss in the game? That son of a bitch has a buttload of health and me and my sunbros have been getting wrecked trying to take it down.

If I spend all of my Pyromancy and make every shot count I can get him down to about half health but then my physical attacks don't do poo poo. This is the last thing I can do in the game besides co-opping and murdering all the NPCs before I finish the game too. :saddowns:

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
If ya'll are still having trouble at O+S, I'll be chilling in front of the door with my sunbro sign.

EDIT: GfWL id is: The Baby Feast

Russian Remoulade fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 4, 2012

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Is the general consensus that Artorias is a fun fight? Because I just don't see it. It's a glorified Bed of Chaos redo. Be perfect or die. Stupid.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

sicarius posted:

It's mostly the fact that it took enemies I was having to actually fight and parry and made me kill them in one hit. It's not really that anyone else cares, it's that I care the game became silly easy because of a little secret about chopping off a dragon's tail with 30+ arrows.

The issue with the Drake Sword is that players tend to rely on it way to much. I know that when I see someone coming at me with a Drake Sword it's an easy kill. That easy feeling the Drake Sword gives disappears almost as quickly as you get it. As areyoucontagious mentioned.

Actually I'd love to see someone do a Drake Sword PVP gimmick and own everyone via chain backstabs/pro play.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Unbeknowsnt posted:

The issue with the Drake Sword is that players tend to rely on it way to much. I know that when I see someone coming at me with a Drake Sword it's an easy kill.

Is it really an issue? It's obvious when the Drake Sword stops working so well in comparison with other weapons, so it's not like someone will press on with it.

I guess PvP might be another story.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Unbeknowsnt posted:

The issue with the Drake Sword is that players tend to rely on it way to much. I know that when I see someone coming at me with a Drake Sword it's an easy kill. That easy feeling the Drake Sword gives disappears almost as quickly as you get it. As Orv mentioned.

Actually I'd love to see someone do a Drake Sword PVP gimmick and own everyone via chain backstabs/pro play.

One of my old joke gimmick proposals in the console thread is Drake Sword only playthroughs of the game.

Vertigus posted:

Is it really an issue? It's obvious when the Drake Sword stops working so well in comparison with other weapons, so it's not like someone will press on with it.

Sunbro at O+S. Laugh at how many people are Drake Sworders.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Vertigus posted:

I know that while invading in Blightown 80% of the people I played against used it. I could just stand there and let them attack me with almost no damage taken. I can't help but message these people saying they need to switch up weapons.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Unbeknowsnt posted:

I know that while invading in Blightown 80% of the people I played against used it. I could just stand there and let them attack me with almost no damage taken. I can't help but message these people saying they need to switch up weapons.

The Drake Sword is actually still decent in Blightown, though.

Except for the mosquitos.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Stokes posted:

Is the general consensus that Artorias is a fun fight? Because I just don't see it. It's a glorified Bed of Chaos redo. Be perfect or die. Stupid.

He was tough but once I learned his tells and was able to keep my attack up I kicked his rear end. Not letting him freak the gently caress out and do double damage really is key.

Kalameet on the other hand...

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's funny, because I almost feel like the Gravelord sword is the Drake sword for people who know what they're doing.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Any tips for SL1 Centipede Demon? I can't believe this is the boss that I'm having trouble with...

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Sunbro at O+S. Laugh at how many people are Drake Sworders.

I actually haven't seen a single Drake Sword through 20ish kills of O+S so far.

Plenty of people playing like idiots, but no Drake Swords.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Stokes posted:

Eh it's hardly that. You just have to learn what he does and if you have a trash shield and trash poise learn what you have to dodge instead of tank and you'll be fine. Personally I haven't beat him solo on my SL 20 ganker dude yet but I have barely tried all my options.

What is your dude built like, maybe you can get some HOT TIPS?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Orv posted:

It's funny, because I almost feel like the Gravelord sword is the Drake sword for people who know what they're doing.

Yeah the Gravelord Sword is pretty solid for most of the game. Stumbling into the Catacombs made my guy's life a lot easier in the beginning.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

The Crooked Warden posted:

I actually haven't seen a single Drake Sword through 20ish kills of O+S so far.

Plenty of people playing like idiots, but no Drake Swords.

On Xbox, probably half of every summoner I snag uses it. Probably about 1/4th of the white phantoms that a host grabs has it. I end up just farming Silver Knight poo poo and dropping it for them when I get the chance because it's better than the drat Drake Sword.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So the Drake Valley connects up with the back of Blight town?

I've finally done it, I've finally reached the point where I have to advance the main storyline of the game :sigh:

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Shima Honnou posted:

On Xbox, probably half of every summoner I snag uses it. Probably about 1/4th of the white phantoms that a host grabs has it. I end up just farming Silver Knight poo poo and dropping it for them when I get the chance because it's better than the drat Drake Sword.

Bonus for silver knight weapons being some of the best looking in the game aesthetically. I love my SKSS and sunlight blade.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Yo, gently caress Blighttown. Seriously.

Everything about this place just sucks rear end.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

So the Drake Valley connects up with the back of Blight town?

I've finally done it, I've finally reached the point where I have to advance the main storyline of the game :sigh:

I swear Blightown is the point where most people go "You know what? I'm going to go dick around for a while until I can't avoid coming back here."

Samuel L. Chan
May 13, 2007

Smoking marijuana, eating Cheese Doodles, and masturbating do not constitute 'plans' in my book!
Alright this online stuff is being wonky as hell. My NAT is open and I had no problem summoning and co-oping with my friend more than once the other day. Now I can't do anything online-wise and my UPnP is 'not active' according to GFWL. I've forwarded the ports, put the upnp options on automatic on my system, turned upnp on my router, and turned network discovery on. But according to GFWL my upnp isn't on, and my NAT is still open yet I cannot invade or see any summon signs (yes I'm the right level for the area I'm in)

Anyone know what the gently caress? This is really frustrating.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Vertigus posted:

I swear Blightown is the point where most people go "You know what? I'm going to go dick around for a while until I can't avoid coming back here."

I swear that's not the reason I've avoided it. I just wanted to see how much other stuff I could do in the game before bothering with it.

I guess that there's a boss in the Undead Asylum I never fought, maybe I'll go see what he's up to.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Gazaar posted:

Eh it's hardly that. You just have to learn what he does and if you have a trash shield and trash poise learn what you have to dodge instead of tank and you'll be fine. Personally I haven't beat him solo on my SL 20 ganker dude yet but I have barely tried all my options.

What is your dude built like, maybe you can get some HOT TIPS?

Level 50. Darkwraith Armor. Lifehunt Scythe. Bloodshield. Wolf Ring. Havel's Ring. I tried it without the Wolf Ring for a while but it was even dumber. I've gotten within 1 hit left twice. When he does that huge leaping attack it seems random whether or not I dodge it. Went at him an hour and 15 mins. straight.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I think Blighttown might be my favorite place. I've spent at least 20 hours there on my first and so far only character and by now i know the place inside out. More than half of my ~35 multiplayer assists were in Blighttown.

Then again, i'm prepared with Poison ring + rusted iron + upgraded Pyro set + Spider shield+10.

Screw Sen's fortress though. I'd glad i have the short cut.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cowcaster posted:

I swear that's not the reason I've avoided it. I just wanted to see how much other stuff I could do in the game before bothering with it.

I guess that there's a boss in the Undead Asylum I never fought, maybe I'll go see what he's up to.

There's a ring in the Undead Asylum that makes Blighttown a lot more manageable, if you haven't gotten that yet.

Also I really like Blighttown a whole lot. Even the laggy console version of Blighttown. The design of the upper levels is fantastic, I usually won't skip the first half of Blighttown unless I'm trying to speed through the entire game.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Dude even if you don't consciously think it, your subconscious is telling you "gently caress it."

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I'm liking Ornstein's helmet a lot more since I realized it was a great helm with a lion crest on top (the mouth is the visor) instead of a weird disproportionate tiny lion head helmet.

I feel bad for this guy I've tried to help beat O&S twice, but both times I disconnected somehow before the end.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Vertigus posted:

Them large titanite shards man! Green shards too if you wanna breeze through snake mans in sen's with a fire weapon.

Also gently caress the great hollow, I do not look forward to the day when I actually attempt to navigate my way down that place :smith:.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

TastyAvocado posted:

I'm liking Ornstein's helmet a lot more since I realized it was a great helm with a lion crest on top (the mouth is the visor) instead of a weird disproportionate tiny lion head helmet.

I feel bad for this guy I've tried to help beat O&S twice, but both times I disconnected somehow before the end.

Ornstein's helm is the worst helm in the game, because From doesn't let us have the red tassel like Ornstein has.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Heti posted:

I came in here looking for help on Ornstein and Smough and everyone else is already talking about it :v:

How do I kill these fucks? I've tried this fight at least 20 times.

Get a 100% block shield, roll the lightning bolts, get fatty in front and use him to block skinny's dashes, stab fatty when he does his hammer smash. Make sure you're always backing in a loop and try to get them to blow up the pillars asap

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Stokes posted:

Level 50. Darkwraith Armor. Lifehunt Scythe. Bloodshield. Wolf Ring. Havel's Ring. I tried it without the Wolf Ring for a while but it was even dumber. I've gotten within 1 hit left twice. When he does that huge leaping attack it seems random whether or not I dodge it. Went at him an hour and 15 mins. straight.

Well by the sound of it you seem like you have a pretty decent handle on it. My only real advice would be roll towards him during the big jump, might stick you behind him or at his back corners.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
gently caress this, I quit. I am a big stupid baby getting mad about video games. S&O can gently caress themselves. I have 4 out of 16 humanity left, lost to bullshit cheaters, my own stupidity, and fighting those two bastards. I'm really thinking about giving up on my SL1 playthrough. :(

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Stokes posted:

I spent 6-7 hours on Knight Artorias. Two handing a BSS with no armor.

I had a lot of fun.

Tips: When he does the huge leap attack just wait until he is about to hit you and then roll back, it takes a while to get the timing down but once you get it he should never hit you and it's a real good opportunity to get hits in.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I've been having oodles of fun with the walking tank BKGA build [Thanks Filthy Monkey, by the way] but I'm in the mood for a change of pace. I was thinking either heavy dex or some sorcery shenanigans; any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

areyoucontagious posted:

gently caress this, I quit. I am a big stupid baby getting mad about video games. S&O can gently caress themselves. I have 4 out of 16 humanity left, lost to bullshit cheaters, my own stupidity, and fighting those two bastards. I'm really thinking about giving up on my SL1 playthrough. :(

Can you really live comfortably knowing that Dark Souls has bested you?

• Locked thread