Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

What Fun posted:

Welp, I was one of those people that took the wrong path and got Gravelord Nito's soul too early. I think I cashed it out and used it for a level up(hadn't read anything at that point, trying to approach the game fresh), because now I have the Lordvessel and I can't find it anywhere. How hosed am I?

It's in your keys/key items menu, not your usable items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

After dying to O&S like a dozen times my first playthrough on the Xbox, I came back this time around and managed to kill them my first attempt without taking a single hit. :stare: Summoning Solaire and having sorcery both made a huge difference. I'd never bothered summoning on that fight before after seeing how bad the NPC phantoms were on Queelag and Gaping Dragon, but Solaire soaked up all the hits from both dudes in the first phase and would have survived the entire battle were it not for a last second lightning butt-stomp.

It is ridiculous how good sorcery gets very very quickly. At SL 25 with 36 int Super O died after 3 soul spears.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

Also if you claim that you got Nito's soul before getting the Lordvessel, you're wrong, because that's impossible.

Jesus, I'm an idiot, I looked at a picture of him real quick online and mixed him up with Pinwheel. Thanks for the tip about key items Dicktron.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

What Fun posted:

Well, I beat him, I have the Mask of the Child item. His soul isn't in my key items list either, although thanks for the tip Dicktron. Is there something else I have to do to get his soul other then defeating him? If yes, that's all I need to know, I'll figure it out. If not, then I'm still stuck.

That's uh, that's not Nito.

That's Pinwheel, the closest thing Dark Souls has to a joke boss

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

What Fun posted:

Well, I beat him, I have the Mask of the Child item.

That drops from pinwheel.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

UberJumper posted:

Check the lost and found chest in firelink

Nope, no Havel's ring there either. Thanks for the tip, though.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

pun pundit posted:

Nope, no Havel's ring there either. Thanks for the tip, though.

What level are you? I could probably give you a ring if we could get a connection.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

SL 23. Gargoyles and Moonlight Butterfly are dead, plus the two starter bosses. Thanks for the offer!
E: I have the Master Key so I could pop into the relevant areas available from Firelink.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

I'm now convinced that this game is actively mocking me.

I've gathered up almost 100k souls just from farming the same 7 thrash mobs in the parish.
I'm swimming in Balder gear, I have 6 or 7 shields and enough armor sets for a loving army.

And still no loving sword.

It's starting to stink like Pure Bladestone.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I've had a lot more luck farming the Balder knights in Sen's. They're a little bit tougher and I feel like they have a better drop rate for the sword. I farmed the Parish for hours before switching to Sen's and it dropped in minutes.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Haha. I got like 4 or 5 of em. I'm still at like 22/18 Str/Dex so maybe I'll use it, but I kind of think I'm going to use greatswords and other big weapons.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Toiwat posted:

I've gathered up almost 100k souls just from farming the same 7 thrash mobs in the parish.
I'm swimming in Balder gear, I have 6 or 7 shields and enough armor sets for a loving army.

That's just part of the tradition of video games. Tetris also knew when you needed a long piece or you were going to die in seconds and decided not to give it to you.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Toiwat posted:

Settle in for the long haul. You'll be swimming in the loving things when you don't want one, but you'll never get one on that buff-based Dex/Int build you've been planning for ages.

Far as I'm concerned, this is one of the many Dark Souls rites of passage.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
If OrvSA is any of you guys, you're welcome.

Super Orn's lightning stomp hurts if you don't shield by the way :P

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I'm very impressed with this game after only playing for a few hours. I'm so glad that the petition to bring it to PC was successful. I really hope the devs profited enough for future versions to have PC ports. I won't even mind if they're not good ports.

Anyhow, after the tutorial I spent 2-3 hours getting creamed in that graveyard with the skeletons. I wanted to toss my screen out of the window several times. I thought the issue was with me and my game-playing skills degrading over the years or something so I just kept persisting and learning how to not die. I finally did manage to clear the whole place (not in the same life) after reaching level 10, but gave up after I found that stupid respawning skeleton in the catabombs. I went to find a walkthrough to get some tips and found out that I was going the wrong way.

I'm having so much fun now. :pseudo:

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

pun pundit posted:

SL 23. Gargoyles and Moonlight Butterfly are dead, plus the two starter bosses. Thanks for the offer!

I think we should be good in the New Londo ruins then. Might be a couple minutes because Dark Souls isn't wanting to run very well right now :(.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

OK this is the first time I've done some deliberate meeting things. Should I just be human and stand around in the New Londo ruins? My GFWL name is Gaesadair.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 5, 2012

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Yeah go human and stand over near where the bridges to the waterlogged part of the ruins are, I'll put down a summon sign.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

All right, in place and waiting. Thanks a lot for this!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

And then they realized they were on two separate servers.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

pun pundit posted:

All right, in place and waiting. Thanks a lot for this!

This is the first time Dark Souls has ever crashed for me but I'm logging in and I'm in the spot!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Man-serpent great sword is neat as hell. Similar damage and moveset to the BK sword but without the retarded R2 attack.

I now feel terrible about all that dex though.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I want some titanite chunks, and since I'm outside O&S's place anyway I figure I can farm them off of the giant dudes there. What is the drop rate? Low? How much liquid humanity do I need to increase my chances? Do I need to be human to increase the drop rate?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Toiwat posted:

I swear I have like two balder swords, but I'm an absurdly high level though, I don't know if you could summon me or be summoned by me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Where exactly do I find twinkling titanite? I want to beef up my black knight sword so it doesn't feel inadequate next to the gravelord sword I can't use.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
So is there a reason to keep SL down? Everyone here is talking about being in the 20s and well past where I am at this point.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Cowcaster posted:

Where exactly do I find twinkling titanite? I want to beef up my black knight sword so it doesn't feel inadequate next to the gravelord sword I can't use.

You can buy it from the giant blacksmith in anor londo, or harvest some from the lizards in the darkroot basin/the tower leading up to the taurus demon in the undead burg.

Orv
May 4, 2011

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

That would be me. I fumbled between rolling behind the pillar and shielding and died. :v: Something about O+S on PC is making me a complete idiot. Thanks for that help, in between constantly being invaded.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

sicarius posted:

So is there a reason to keep SL down? Everyone here is talking about being in the 20s and well past where I am at this point.

If your SL is low you can help others out on problem bosses such as Gargoyles. If you can reach a point where you can equip a weapon, chances are that upgrading it is going to make just as big of a difference as leveling up whatever it scales off of (or in the case of elemental damage, that will just do more without requiring anything beyond whatever it takes to equip).

areyoucontagious posted:

You can buy it from the giant blacksmith in anor londo, or harvest some from the lizards in the darkroot basin/the tower leading up to the taurus demon in the undead burg.

It also drops fairly commonly from Doom Clams (is that seriously their name?). You can farm them pretty easily if you've killed Seath.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 5, 2012

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

areyoucontagious posted:

Are we talking about those red lizard things that look like mushroom tops? Where are they in the Taurus Demon tower?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Isn't OrvSA the GT of the OP himself? I think he'll probably see to thank you.

EDIT: Yeah, it is ^^^^

Orv posted:

That would be me. I fumbled between rolling behind the pillar and shielding and died. :v: Something about O+S on PC is making me a complete idiot. Thanks for that help, in between constantly being invaded.

I've said it before, it feels like having the fluid framerate really fucks with you sometimes when you're used to how it was on console.

sicarius posted:

Ability to invade more targets easily, more challenge. A lot of the people in this thread are experienced console players who made the jump to PC when the PC version came out, myself included.

Generally speaking, in your first few playthroughs, or on a character you intend to go into high NG+s with, you'll want to just level as much as you like. But as the Darkness corrupts you, you'll eventually want to go lower and lower, then before you know it, SL3 punchgloves no armor no shield run happens to you.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Cowcaster posted:

Are we talking about those red lizard things that look like mushroom tops? Where are they in the Taurus Demon tower?

Nope! They look a lot like this:

If you roll into the barrels in the space right before you walk out to where you'd fight the taurus demon, one will pop out. Kill it fast or it'll escape! There's another one down the path towards the grass crest shield too.

edit: jesus, huge

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Shima Honnou posted:

Isn't OrvSA the GT of the OP himself? I think he'll probably see to thank you.

EDIT: Yeah, it is ^^^^

I've said it before, it feels like having the fluid framerate really fucks with you sometimes when you're used to how it was on console.

Ability to invade more targets easily, more challenge. A lot of the people in this thread are experienced console players who made the jump to PC when the PC version came out, myself included.

Generally speaking, in your first few playthroughs, or on a character you intend to go into high NG+s with, you'll want to just level as much as you like. But as the Darkness corrupts you, you'll eventually want to go lower and lower, then before you know it, SL3 punchgloves no armor no shield run happens to you.

Okay - so, mechanically, there's no reason other than PvP which I am actively avoiding at this point by blocking the thing from going online.

Just checking.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

areyoucontagious posted:

Nope! They look a lot like this:

If you roll into the barrels in the space right before you walk out to where you'd fight the taurus demon, one will pop out. Kill it fast or it'll escape! There's another one down the path towards the grass crest shield too.

Oh, those don't respawn after you kill them though, right?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

sicarius posted:

Okay - so, mechanically, there's no reason other than PvP which I am actively avoiding at this point by blocking the thing from going online.

Just checking.

Correct, mechanically at least. The challenge factor still remains, of course.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Cowcaster posted:

They do not.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Toiwat posted:

I've had a friend drop some Humanity for me before. Can you drop weapons for others as well? If so, I've got one you can have. I'm never going to use it. I'm SL43 I believe, if we're around the same level.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Cowcaster posted:

They do not respawn :(

I wish they did though

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Veev posted:

This is the first time Dark Souls has ever crashed for me but I'm logging in and I'm in the spot!

Does't seem like the network wants me to see your summon sign. Unless it was that white donut thing that appeared for a while that I didn't get any text for.

Cowcaster posted:

And then they realized they were on two separate servers.

Doesn't the network sort of change around over time? I know I've seen summon signs phasing out of and back into existence at the same location before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Kaubocks posted:

I've had a friend drop some Humanity for me before. Can you drop weapons for others as well? If so, I've got one you can have. I'm never going to use it. I'm SL43 I believe, if we're around the same level.

I think you can drop almost anything except for maybe key items? I've never tried dropping from each category, so I don't know for sure if something like the Covenant of Artorias or an Estus Flask +7 could be dropped for someone else.

• Locked thread