Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

WTF? Just tried the Amazon Appstore and I can't make any purchases (even free ones) because my account is associated with a different country than my credit cards. Probably because I made one Amazon.com purchase from the UK something like 5 years ago... Hope this free game is worth the hassle of getting this resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Has TinyShark stopped working for anyone else? I know Grooveshark has been going back and forth with having an app in the Play Store and getting it removed, but I just noticed yesterday that TinyShark won't play. It logs in and I can search for music, but nothing plays.

Edit: It looks like it's missing from the Play Store too. :(

Still works for me. I don't use it too often, but I really like TinyShark, so you had me worried for a moment there. I ran into an issue awhile back when I couldn't get songs to play too. Went into settings and realized that it was trying to use Flash to play them, but I don't have it installed. Unchecked that box, restarted the app, and all has been fine since.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

XIII posted:

Still works for me. I don't use it too often, but I really like TinyShark, so you had me worried for a moment there. I ran into an issue awhile back when I couldn't get songs to play too. Went into settings and realized that it was trying to use Flash to play them, but I don't have it installed. Unchecked that box, restarted the app, and all has been fine since.

Holy poo poo, it was Flash! I have a Galaxy Nexus that I recently updated from CM9 to CM10. Since Flash is gone in Jelly Bean it wouldn't work anymore. I deselected that, restarted, and now it's working. Thank you!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I would like to be able to login to my computer at home, right?

And you know how it's possible to use your ps3 controller to play games on your phone, right?

Is it possible to login to your computer at home, through your phone and play a game on your computer that way?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I would like to be able to login to my computer at home, right?

And you know how it's possible to use your ps3 controller to play games on your phone, right?

Is it possible to login to your computer at home, through your phone and play a game on your computer that way?

Input and video lag would make that almost impossible at best and completely impossible at worst.

Gaikai and (less successfully) OnLive have entire infrastructures with massive servers purpose-built for this, and many people still gripe incessantly about lag and such.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
What an age we live in where such a question can be asked with seriousness though.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
Remember ChargeBar, the app that everyone loved and then they slipped in notification bar ads? Well they have a solution for everybody now:
ChargeBar Pro, the same app as before, minus the new ads, for the low low price of :10bux:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Cruseydr posted:

Remember ChargeBar, the app that everyone loved and then they slipped in notification bar ads? Well they have a solution for everybody now:
ChargeBar Pro, the same app as before, minus the new ads, for the low low price of :10bux:

I'm not sure if this was the dumbest thing or the best marketing plan I've seen. Have your really nice product suddenly turn into total poo poo, leave everyone hanging without answering any of their questions (their questions are all "why the gently caress would you do this") and then miraculously return with a new version that costs too much for what it actually does.

No wait, it's actually still really stupid and I won't be using any products from them again because regardless of how successful this is it's still a lovely thing to do

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Yep, backed the last good .apk up in at least two different places. I have no problem continuing to use that one. :iamafag:

Beige posted:

What an age we live in where such a question can be asked with seriousness though.

And it'd loving work with puzzle games or turn-based stuff. :psylon:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Splizwarf posted:

Yep, backed the last good .apk up in at least two different places. I have no problem continuing to use that one. :iamafag:

I just wish I could detach it from the market...

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Holy poo poo, it was Flash! I have a Galaxy Nexus that I recently updated from CM9 to CM10. Since Flash is gone in Jelly Bean it wouldn't work anymore. I deselected that, restarted, and now it's working. Thank you!

Hooray! I'm helping! :zoid:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

brc64 posted:

I just wish I could detach it from the market...

So many of my apps are now broken in the current update (like Gmail and Maps :stare:) that I just don't care anymore. I haven't updated anything in at least a month.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

So many of my apps are now broken in the current update (like Gmail and Maps :stare:) that I just don't care anymore. I haven't updated anything in at least a month.
GMail and Maps work fine in the latest update, something is wrong with your phone, not with the apps.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

And it'd loving work with puzzle games or turn-based stuff. :psylon:

That's true. I thought of that as I was driving home tonight. If one wanted to play something like Minesweeper or solitaire, that poo poo would work just fine that way.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

LastInLine posted:

GMail and Maps work fine in the latest update, something is wrong with your phone, not with the apps.

Probably true, although everyone agreed it was the apps when I first posted about them. IIRC chocolateTHUNDER said "Welcome to Google's beta-testing!" or something similar, probably snappier than that. v:v:v

What's my list of options for apps that are like Dropbox only better? I've fallen out of love with it due to the friction they've introduced. Used to be when I put poo poo in my Dropbox folder on the phone (/sdcard/dropbox), it uploaded to Dropbox, and when I added something to my Dropbox folder via the context menu it went into the local Dropbox folder and then uploaded.

Well, now the folder's in /sdcard/android/data/com.dropbox and I found that out via some blog since the Dropbox app doesn't tell you where its local folder is anymore, and the one I already had at /sdcard/dropbox is apparently not used now? And it doesn't keep local backups of uploaded files anymore. I'm sick of that poo poo and want something more straightforward, somebody recommend something.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

I'm sick of that poo poo and want something more straightforward, somebody recommend something.
Drive and Box are the obvious fallbacks.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What's the good/bad with Box? I've vaguely heard of it but don't know anyone who uses it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

What's the good/bad with Box? I've vaguely heard of it but don't know anyone who uses it.
Honestly I've never used either one. Dropbox works flawlessly for what I need it to do (although I never use the app).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Cruseydr posted:

And in a few months, they'll throw a huge fit about how bad piracy on Android is.

Splizwarf posted:

Probably true, although everyone agreed it was the apps when I first posted about them. IIRC chocolateTHUNDER said "Welcome to Google's beta-testing!" or something similar, probably snappier than that. v:v:v

What's my list of options for apps that are like Dropbox only better? I've fallen out of love with it due to the friction they've introduced. Used to be when I put poo poo in my Dropbox folder on the phone (/sdcard/dropbox), it uploaded to Dropbox, and when I added something to my Dropbox folder via the context menu it went into the local Dropbox folder and then uploaded.

Well, now the folder's in /sdcard/android/data/com.dropbox and I found that out via some blog since the Dropbox app doesn't tell you where its local folder is anymore, and the one I already had at /sdcard/dropbox is apparently not used now? And it doesn't keep local backups of uploaded files anymore. I'm sick of that poo poo and want something more straightforward, somebody recommend something.

Since when did the Dropbox app do auto-uploading for non-photo files? I thought that's why Dropsync exists.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Microsoft SkyDrive is good too.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Also SugarSync and SpiderOak.

Berkeloid
Apr 30, 2010

I'd like to be able to set up different home screens that appear based on time and location -- for example, I like the home screen to be set up one way when I'm at home, another way when I'm out during the day, and another way when I'm out at night. At the moment I just have three home screens and switch between them manually.

Are there any launchers that support something like this? Or even better, any launchers with Tasker integration?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Since when did the Dropbox app do auto-uploading for non-photo files? I thought that's why Dropsync exists.

What I meant is when I pop the Share menu off a file and select Dropbox, a copy used to go to the local Dropbox folder and then to the cloud one, rather than straight to the cloud folder. I could then browse my local folder with other apps, to do things like play music out of my Dropbox folder and stuff.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

What I meant is when I pop the Share menu off a file and select Dropbox, a copy used to go to the local Dropbox folder and then to the cloud one, rather than straight to the cloud folder. I could then browse my local folder with other apps, to do things like play music out of my Dropbox folder and stuff.
No reason you can't manually do the same thing with ES File Manager, is there?

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Also SugarSync and SpiderOak.

Spideroak really, really need to work on their android app though.

(I use it as a backup for all my work files because with the student discount it's really cheap and they seem committed to privacy, but as a sync solution it limps compared to dropbox.)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

LastInLine posted:

No reason you can't manually do the same thing with ES File Manager, is there?

Probably, now that I've found the new folder (the structure of the new folder is weird). Part of my post was frustration that they'd changed the folder name and location without telling anyone, and left the old one as a decoy. I've been adding stuff to that folder (/sdcard/dropbox) and saying "gently caress, why isn't this working? Why can I see this file in my Dropbox folder with ES File Explorer but not with the Dropbox app?" The only reason I found out that the folder was changed was because I Googled the problem and found other people complaining about the same thing.

I thought I was doing it manually. :v:

Canukian
Dec 13, 2005
I am a displaced Canadian
Had my first YouTube commercial before a video on my phone today... Is there a way to block this like I do with my computer?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Root and install AdAway, maybe. But I read that Youtube was implementing this.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Is AdAway any better than AdFree Android? I've been using that for years and it's never given me problems but man is it ugly looking.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007
Anyone here use the Nova Launcher Pro? IF so I was wondering if it included the ability to make the App Drawer infinite scroll. I can't do it on the free version and its driving me nuts that I can make everything BUT the App Drawer infinite scroll with it.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

ZRM posted:

Anyone here use the Nova Launcher Pro? IF so I was wondering if it included the ability to make the App Drawer infinite scroll. I can't do it on the free version and its driving me nuts that I can make everything BUT the App Drawer infinite scroll with it.

Nope, no infinite scroll on the app drawer in Nova Launcher Prime. Home screens and docks do, but not the drawer.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ZRM posted:

Yf you are trying to avoid going into widgets accidentally you can switch to vertical scroll for the app drawer. Otherwise, don't think so. Never tried it, however.

Canukian
Dec 13, 2005
I am a displaced Canadian

Gyshall posted:

gently caress that poo poo is the devil. Why does Google hate me so :-(

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I've got AdAway and I haven't seen any ads on Youtube yet. It could just be that they're rolling out slowly or something though.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

the kawaiiest posted:

I've got AdAway and I haven't seen any ads on Youtube yet. It could just be that they're rolling out slowly or something though.

It's extremely content-dependent. You're not watching the "right" things. They started this about two years ago for what it's worth.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Splizwarf posted:

It's extremely content-dependent. You're not watching the "right" things. They started this about two years ago for what it's worth.
Huh, I watch funny pug videos and adorable yawning kittens, you'd think those would have ads...

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
As hard to believe as it is, I've been having some recurring problems with the Facebook app since the recent overhaul. Overall, it's much better than before, but I've been fighting two separate problems related to posting:

1. If I try to post a new status or a wall post, it will fail with a toast indicating some null error. If I immediately try to post it again, the second attempt will succeed. I've gotten to the habit of copying my text before clicking the submit button, but Wtf?

2. More recently, I'm seeing something along the lines of a "an error has occurred" toast when I try to comment on a post (comments previously worked fine). The oddity here is that the comment appears to post despite the error, but I'm seeing the error every time now.

I did try cleaning the data and cache for the app when I first started seeing issue 1, and that problem went away for like a day, but it came right back. Is anybody else running into this?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

brc64 posted:

As hard to believe as it is, I've been having some recurring problems with the Facebook app since the recent overhaul. Overall, it's much better than before, but I've been fighting two separate problems related to posting:

1. If I try to post a new status or a wall post, it will fail with a toast indicating some null error. If I immediately try to post it again, the second attempt will succeed. I've gotten to the habit of copying my text before clicking the submit button, but Wtf?

2. More recently, I'm seeing something along the lines of a "an error has occurred" toast when I try to comment on a post (comments previously worked fine). The oddity here is that the comment appears to post despite the error, but I'm seeing the error every time now.

I did try cleaning the data and cache for the app when I first started seeing issue 1, and that problem went away for like a day, but it came right back. Is anybody else running into this?

I'm seeing #2 quite often currently. I think it might be a backend issue, rather than the app itself, though, since this started a while after the update.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If watching ads before videos means the end to "not authorized for mobile" on youtube, I'm all in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

If watching ads before videos means the end to "not authorized for mobile" on youtube, I'm all in.

This, 99% of my mobile youtube use is to play a song for someone.

• Locked thread