Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I got one-shotted by some magical spell that was like black/purple homing clouds of death. I even had the Crest shield up and was blocking and that nonsense tore through me like I was paper. What was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Pursuers. It's like the homing soulmass spell, except with better and longer tracking. And it does physical damage. Lots of it, enough that blocking it probably won't help.

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

So I got one-shotted by some magical spell that was like black/purple homing clouds of death. I even had the Crest shield up and was blocking and that nonsense tore through me like I was paper.

This was exactly my first and only invasion. +10 Knight's Shield and pretty decent vitality, and it felt like my first crack at the Butterfly again in levels of gently caress MAGIC FOREVER, CANNOT BLOCK AND DODGING IS HARD.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
I finally loving beat ornstein and whatshisname. The key was killing the blue cape guys outside the boss room on my own so Solaire had full health going in. Also recognizing super whatshisname's tells is absolutely vital. The hitbox on his impale move is huge and is probably the only enemy attack I've ever faced that I felt it was kind of bullshit that I got hit by.

This giant lady is freaking me out :stare:

Heti fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 7, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Novasol posted:

Pursuers. It's like the homing soulmass spell, except with better and longer tracking. And it does physical damage. Lots of it, enough that blocking it probably won't help.

Oh goddamn. Welp, that's a pretty rad spell.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Heti posted:

I finally loving beat ornstein and whatshisname. The key was killing the blue cape guys outside the boss room on my own so Solaire had full health going in. Also recognizing super whatshisname's tells is absolutely vital. The hitbox on his impale move is huge and is probably the only enemy attack I've ever faced that I felt it was kind of bullshit that I got hit by.

Try holding with both hands.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Heti posted:

Amazing chest ahead!

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
That reminds me, I've never seen a single good or funny message and I feel like I'm not getting the full experience. I barely see any at all. Maybe it's just my connection being terrible, I've never had a good connection to GFWL in any game.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

FINALLY.

Holy poo poo. I've had at least two of the loving things per character on the PS3 and suddenly it gets a drop rate of .fuckyou%

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.

Count Bleck posted:

Amazing chest ahead!

Try pincer attack.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I'm currently playing a sorceries run and was planning on using a falchion until I got a BSS while going through Parish. I love when that happens, during my first playthrough on the PS3 I got the Channeler's Trident on the very first one in Parish. :v:

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Where does the thread title come from? I've been really curious and haven't seen it in game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Antinumeric posted:

Where does the thread title come from? I've been really curious and haven't seen it in game.

Go read the nigh incomprehensible description page for the game. Then in NG+ you can search for the Demon Crowns and Shadow Dwarfs.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Toiwat posted:

FINALLY.

Holy poo poo. I've had at least two of the loving things per character on the PS3 and suddenly it gets a drop rate of .fuckyou%

I got one of these on one of my many trips through the Undead Parish to visit my bro Andrei and I don't even want it :getin:

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I upgraded the hell outta my black iron armor because I kept dying trying to kill Ornstein and Smough solo and now everything else seems really easy.

I just ran through the catacombs without a single death and killed the Pinwheel boss without getting hit within about 10 seconds.

I was really expecting to die since I was out of estus flasks and almost out of health.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Barudak posted:

Go read the nigh incomprehensible description page for the game. Then in NG+ you can search for the Demon Crowns and Shadow Dwarfs.

They are immortal and nameless.

I for one, cannot wait to fight Nit, and The First Dead.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

quote:

The demons who rule this world gain their extraordinary power from the King’s Crowns. To retrieve the King’s Crowns and reach the flame of the world, you will have to face the White King Gwen and his knights, the witch Izarith and her evil daughters, the first dead, Nit, and the immortal and nameless shadow dwarves.

Man I wanna play this game. I think we have the plot to Crown Souls.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

I upgraded the hell outta my black iron armor because I kept dying trying to kill Ornstein and Smough solo and now everything else seems really easy.

I just ran through the catacombs without a single death and killed the Pinwheel boss without getting hit within about 10 seconds.

I was really expecting to die since I was out of estus flasks and almost out of health.

I did pretty much the same thing. Ornstein/Smough was by far the toughest fight in the game for me. It was the first time I reinforced my armor and that made a surprisingly big difference.

And yeah, depending on the order you do branches in, you can accidentally trivialize some areas.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Heti posted:

That reminds me, I've never seen a single good or funny message and I feel like I'm not getting the full experience. I barely see any at all. Maybe it's just my connection being terrible, I've never had a good connection to GFWL in any game.

Sometimes I see tons of messages, sometimes there's none. It seems to take the game a while to "warm up" and show online stuff occasionally.

My favorite message so far is "Weakness: Rolling" in front of a vase in Anor Londo. I've always liked "Try thrust" in front of the dead guy bent over the well at Firelink too.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Heti posted:

Ornstein&Smough is probably the most iconic fight of the game. There's probably around 30 pages of posts in the original thread just commenting on it. There's just such increasing levels of epicness in that fight, especially if you didn't know anything about it. It's one of the best fights too since there's really no gimmick to winning it. You just have to be *this* good at Dark Souls.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Beat the painted world just now, moving on to DOUKS archives. Priscilla was really easy and I felt bad for killing her.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Cowcaster posted:

I got one of these on one of my many trips through the Undead Parish to visit my bro Andrei and I don't even want it :getin:

Sunbro/Invade and give it to the first guy you see with a non-BSS dex weapon!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also I guess the red soapstone only works if you haven't beaten an area boss, right?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Shanty posted:

Sunbro/Invade and give it to the first guy you see with a non-BSS dex weapon!

I ain't got no human juice and no luck with the summon stones :(

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

FrickenMoron posted:

Beat the painted world just now, moving on to DOUKS archives. Priscilla was really easy and I felt bad for killing her.

Me too, man I just wanted to give her a hug and her doll back. She gets such a raw deal.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I have a semi-complicated question about how the elemental enchantments and weapon scaling work.

So I'm rocking the gravelord sword one-handed right now, and someone recommended to me that later on a +15 murakumo might be a good end-game replacement.

Now, on the tables there, the +15 murakumo winds up having only a slightly higher base damage than an un-upgraded gravelord sword (Mine's already at +2. I am weak). Obviously, this is where the weapon scaling comes in, but here's the conundrum: the murakumo scales best with Dexterity, something I was hoping to keep at 18 basically for the rest of the game while I crank up my vitality/endurance/strength.

Now, on the other hand, the +5 lightning murakumo does more base damage than the +15, in addition to the same amount of damage as lightning. If I'm reading that table correctly.

So my question is this: If I was to avoid getting dexterity, would it be better to go for the +5 lightning version to "make up" for the weapon scaling I wouldn't be getting anyway? Or is the nerf lightning got enough to make it not worth going for even then?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Cowcaster posted:

So I have a semi-complicated question about how the elemental enchantments and weapon scaling work.

So I'm rocking the gravelord sword one-handed right now, and someone recommended to me that later on a +15 murakumo might be a good end-game replacement.

Now, on the tables there, the +15 murakumo winds up having only a slightly higher base damage than an un-upgraded gravelord sword (Mine's already at +2. I am weak). Obviously, this is where the weapon scaling comes in, but here's the conundrum: the murakumo scales best with Dexterity, something I was hoping to keep at 18 basically for the rest of the game while I crank up my vitality/endurance/strength.

Now, on the other hand, the +5 lightning murakumo does more base damage than the +15, in addition to the same amount of damage as lightning. If I'm reading that table correctly.

So my question is this: If I was to avoid getting dexterity, would it be better to go for the +5 lightning version to "make up" for the weapon scaling I wouldn't be getting anyway? Or is the nerf lightning got enough to make it not worth going for even then?

Maybe the simple answer is to build a weapon that scales off strength, something you said you'd pump.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Cowcaster posted:

gently caress all that bullshit. Get a Golem Axe. :getin:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So i freed Big Hat Logan at Sen's, but i never found him at Firelink. Where the hell is he? Did he leave again? I thnk i read somewhere that he takes off again?

Didn't even get the chance to talk to him.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gazaar posted:

Maybe the simple answer is to build a weapon that scales off strength, something you said you'd pump.

OH WELL YOU'D THINK THAT WOULDN'T YOU

:negative:

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

HenryEx posted:

So i freed Big Hat Logan at Sen's, but i never found him at Firelink. Where the hell is he? Did he leave again? I thnk i read somewhere that he takes off again?

Didn't even get the chance to talk to him.

Are you sure he's not there? He's kind of hard to spot. He's right near the other sorcerer guy.

Cowcaster posted:

OH WELL YOU'D THINK THAT WOULDN'T YOU

:negative:

I'm serious about the golem axe, it is amazing.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Heti posted:

I'm serious about the golem axe, it is amazing.

It's worse than the weapon he's currently using, and significantly worse than the scaling weapons he should consider replacing it with. It's actually just not a great weapon to begin with with its mediocre damage, high strength requirement, high weight and inability to be enchanted.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

TastyAvocado posted:

It's worse than the weapon he's currently using, and significantly worse than the scaling weapons he should consider replacing it with. It's actually just not a great weapon to begin with with its mediocre damage, high strength requirement, high weight and inability to be enchanted.

That R2 is pretty loving sweet though.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Cowcaster posted:

Ok, picking a weapon that scales with Strength being the right answer aside. If the numbers are higher, they're higher. If the damage numbers for the +5 lightning version are higher than the numbers you get out of the +15 version at your current stats, then the +5 lightning will do more damage. I know there is the issue of splitting the damage across multiple resistances which actually lowers the final numbers that pop out of the guy you hit, but that's the trade off of getting to attack two resistances at once with no investment in damage stats.

For your example, according to the wiki, +15 Murakumo is 282 physical damage. The +5 lightning Murakumo is 310 physical damage and 316 lightning. This means that if you have low enough dex that the 282+whatever is less than 310+316 then the lightning will do more damage (before resistances).

The nerf to lightning was, as far as I am aware, a nerf to the raw numbers and nothing else. Apparently the Claymore +5 lightning was 283+288 where as now it is 257+257. +15 Claymore is 257 physical damage with C scaling, so unless you have enough Strength and Dex to make up 257 lightning damage then the lightning Claymore does more damage than the +15 (before resistances). Obviously if you have good enough scaling and access to enchantments (and resins?) then the +15 will come out ahead.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

EthanSteele posted:

For your example, according to the wiki, +15 Murakumo is 282 physical damage. The +5 lightning Murakumo is 310 physical damage and 316 lightning. This means that if you have low enough dex that the 282+whatever is less than 310+316 then the lightning will do more damage (before resistances).

EthanSteele posted:

The nerf to lightning was, as far as I am aware, a nerf to the raw numbers and nothing else. Apparently the Claymore +5 lightning was 283+288 where as now it is 257+257. +15 Claymore is 257 physical damage with C scaling, so unless you have enough Strength and Dex to make up 257 lightning damage then the lightning Claymore does more damage than the +15 (before resistances).

You say this as if it matters, but how much damage something does before resistances doesn't matter at all. You can't look at just the numbers, pure damage type weapons will outdamage elemental weapons even if they have lower damage totals.

For example, against a royal giant in AL, a 535 damage lightning claymore hit for 176, and a murakamo with a just slightly lower 532 damage hit for a significantly higher 256. Even a 598 damage fire gargoyle halberd hits for less at 239. A BSS with only 377 damage hit for almost as much as the 535 damage claymore at 162.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Alright, part 2 of my gimmick run, in which I die to havel over and over again and wander around in the lower burg ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zFOJeKFP38

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Welp, killed Seath the Scaleless on the first try, not a very hard bossfight really. (after the unbeatable encounter!)

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
What is the incentive for ng? Is it mainly leveling for pvp? I don't mind running through the game on a more challenging difficulty for fun, but pvp is a lag fest and it's disheartening to watch a guy approach you only to warp into a backstab (not a hack as far as i can tell, pvp was fine for the longest time but now it seems everyone is running on 56k)

Aside from increasing damage and soul output, is there anything different about the game?

Also, how does one go about changing their gfwl name?

Goddamn Hippy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 7, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

FrickenMoron posted:

Welp, killed Seath the Scaleless on the first try, not a very hard bossfight really. (after the unbeatable encounter!)

Yeah the harder thing about him is trying to cut off his tail for the sword. He can spin around really quickly and the attack he does if you're caught back there can be devastating. If you don't care about the sword he's loving cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The easiest way to get Seath's tail is to let him break the crystal and stun himself, gives you enough time to get back there and get a few solid hits in before there's any danger of you getting hit. I've always had the most trouble with Priscilla's tail, when she's not invisible she spins around constantly and is pretty easy to kill without getting it. You only get one chance to sneak attack her too and I always gently caress it up and don't get it there.

The two DLC ones were tough only because there's few opportunities to actually attack the tails.

• Locked thread