Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Carthag posted:

I'm on my parents' Snow Leopard 10.6.8 machine and am having a problem with the Java plugin.

If I navigate to a site in Safari with a Java applet, I am told that Java is not installed or not enabled. In Firefox it works.

The installed Java is version 1.6.0_33-b03-424 according to Java preferences in /Applications/Utilities. Applets/web start is enabled. Safari has Java enabled in its own prefs.

I can start Web start apps, they run without issues.

I've checked for Flashback and not found anything.

In case anyone had the same problem, their Safari was version 5.0.5. Software Update wasn't showing anything new, but I found a newer version on Apple's site and it works now.

Bob Morales posted:

Does Safari 6.0 (on ML and Lion) just randomly crash for everyone? Usually when I'm loading a new page.

I've had that happen a handful of times, I think I was rightclicking a link and opening it in a new window every time. I don't think it's happened to me with opening in tabs. I'll try and see if it happens again and how/why.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Anyone have ideas on a good way to take notes with PDFs?

I've been using Preview and the annotations feature, but it has some limitations -- namely that I cant draw 'freeform' when I need to.

Otherwise it hasn't been bad.

I'm trying to find something that will sync up nicely with a PDF Application on iPad, so I can sync the two via Dropbox.

I might try Skim for OS X , but any other ideas/workflow suggestions?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Um, I downloaded and installed Lion and it automatically updated to Mountain Lion, which I can't use for work. Command+R doesn't work, so can anyone tell me how to reinstall it and keep it from automatically updating to the latest version? Apologies if this should've gone in HoTS, but it seemed too minor.
I'm confused. Lion and Mountain Lion are separate products, and you would have had to buy Mountain Lion before upgrading to it. Are you sure you didn't buy Mountain Lion by mistake?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kalix posted:

Anyone have ideas on a good way to take notes with PDFs?

I've been using Preview and the annotations feature, but it has some limitations -- namely that I cant draw 'freeform' when I need to.

Otherwise it hasn't been bad.

I'm trying to find something that will sync up nicely with a PDF Application on iPad, so I can sync the two via Dropbox.

I might try Skim for OS X , but any other ideas/workflow suggestions?

PDF Pen is pretty great.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Suggestions on some cheap accounting software for Mac? I've got some affiliate sales online but it's very small, only a handful of checks a year. I'd just like to keep track of income and the small month expenditures so I can better prepare the taxes due and write-offs come April.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah you can't buy Lion from the App Store anymore.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

FCKGW posted:

Suggestions on some cheap accounting software for Mac? I've got some affiliate sales online but it's very small, only a handful of checks a year. I'd just like to keep track of income and the small month expenditures so I can better prepare the taxes due and write-offs come April.

If it's really such a trivial amount of transactions, why not just track them in Excel/Numbers? I use Quickbooks myself, which is totally overkill for something like this, but I think most accounting software requires decent accounting knowledge to automate everything, while Excel can be used just to track balances manually.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

The lowest version of Quicken for small business is like $89 and they might have an online version that's cheaper (but per-year). It's basically what all my friends use for snowplowing/lawn mowing etc

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

If it's really such a trivial amount of transactions, why not just track them in Excel/Numbers? I use Quickbooks myself, which is totally overkill for something like this, but I think most accounting software requires decent accounting knowledge to automate everything, while Excel can be used just to track balances manually.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing now. I was just wondering if there was anything in the ~$20 range that would be more of a pleasure to use. I think I might still have some old caopies of iBank or whatever else was in the MacHeist bundles.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah you can't buy Lion from the App Store anymore.

Hmm. If I back up the installer, will that work as long as my machine is authenticated with the App Store?

I'm of the mindset that I never actually delete things that Apple will remove anymore.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Martytoof posted:

Hmm. If I back up the installer, will that work as long as my machine is authenticated with the App Store?

I'm of the mindset that I never actually delete things that Apple will remove anymore.

You don't even really need it to be authenticated with the mac store, since there's no DRM or anything to stop you copying the installer around willy-nilly.

EDIT: But yes is the answer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Experto Crede posted:

You don't even really need it to be authenticated with the mac store, since there's no DRM or anything to stop you copying the installer around willy-nilly.

EDIT: But yes is the answer.

The installer inside the package, no. But IIRC the actual .app installer that you download from MAS is still tokenized do you'd need to be authenticated, same as any other MAS app.

Or can I literally just take the "Install Mac OS X.app" from my /Applications and run it on another Mac?

Sorry if this is really obvious, I just haven't had to do it in forever. By which I mean ever.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Martytoof posted:

The installer inside the package, no. But IIRC the actual .app installer that you download from MAS is still tokenized do you'd need to be authenticated, same as any other MAS app.

Or can I literally just take the "Install Mac OS X.app" from my /Applications and run it on another Mac?

Sorry if this is really obvious, I just haven't had to do it in forever. By which I mean ever.

Thinking about it, I'm not actually sure :blush:

Since the first install I've kept a copy of the internal dmg transferred to a usb drive...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sonic Dude posted:

I'm confused. Lion and Mountain Lion are separate products, and you would have had to buy Mountain Lion before upgrading to it. Are you sure you didn't buy Mountain Lion by mistake?
Yeeaah. Welp, I'm hosed.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Martytoof posted:

I'm not sure if you can just move the app over, but you can make a bootable USB stick with the Install Mac OS X.app using the InstallESD.dmg file that's inside the app which can be used with any other Mac that can run Lion

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeeaah. Welp, I'm hosed.

You could always go to an Apple store, explain the situation, and ask for a copy of Lion.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

cbirdsong posted:

You could always go to an Apple store, explain the situation, and ask for a copy of Lion.

This is how I got to Snow Leopard for my 2007 MBP. I never bothered to upgrade it, and then when I finally wanted to just before the Mountain Lion release, I couldn't.

I made an appointment, dropped off my machine, and an hour later Snow Leopard was on there. Free of charge.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

You can still download Lion from your Purchases list. You just can't buy it anymore.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You can still download Lion from your Purchases list. You just can't buy it anymore.

Yeah, but after deleting some IPAs that Apple later removed from iTMS I decided to just play it safe with my purchases. Good to know though.

And anyway, having it on a spare disk is faster than having to download it again. Especially since I'm bitcapped :(

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I just got my 13" MBA today and I love it. I have set everything up with my applications and settings like I had on my older MPB. Everything is hunky dory except the OS gives away some really weird noises sometimes. It sounds like a whipping sound and sometimes a blip. I have turned off everything in sound settings and in the apps (that I can find) but it still makes this weird noise. This is the first time I use Mountain Lion and I never heard this using Lion. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? I have installed Colloquy, Adium, Twitter and droplr but I don't remember them playing any whipping noises.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

von Braun posted:

whipping sound and sometimes a blip

I'm thinking Adium default buddy noises or auditory hallucinations resulting from your New Smell joy. Probably that.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

You can still buy Snow Leopard or Lion by calling 1800MYAPPLE. Snow Leopard will be shipped to you, Lion has a redemption code through email.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

von Braun posted:

I just got my 13" MBA today and I love it. I have set everything up with my applications and settings like I had on my older MPB. Everything is hunky dory except the OS gives away some really weird noises sometimes. It sounds like a whipping sound and sometimes a blip. I have turned off everything in sound settings and in the apps (that I can find) but it still makes this weird noise. This is the first time I use Mountain Lion and I never heard this using Lion. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? I have installed Colloquy, Adium, Twitter and droplr but I don't remember them playing any whipping noises.

Sounds like you're using the iChat sound set for Adium.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

von Braun posted:

Do you have iMessage enabled?

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

skeetied posted:

Do you have iMessage enabled?

I have it installed but I don't use it. I tried to turn off all the sounds in it but nothing changed. I will try to make the account inactive.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The whip sound is Colloquy. I think it's when somebody either joins or leaves a room you're in.

Edit: Depending on the bleep, that could be Colloquy too. It makes an alert noise when somebody mentions your name.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I can't seem to get migration assistant to work.

A friend of mine accidentally deleted the 'private' dir on her 2007 Macbook rendering it unbootable.

I don't know what version of OS X she had previously. I tried upgrading to 10.7 via USB boot but it says the version installed doesn't support upgrading. So I put in a new hard drive and install 10.7 onto that. Works like a charm.

Now I have her old hard drive hooked up via an external enclosure through FW400. When I run migration assistant it can't find the drive, just keeps searching forever. The drive mounts fine and I can see files on there.

What else can I do? Manually copy the files I guess? I'm not sure where to look outside of the user dir but I don't want to miss anything.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Is there any way to set this up so that both of these scenarios occur, possibly through Terminal?

Scenario 1: The display goes to sleep due to the computer being idle for 10 minutes, you come back and move the mouse and carry on without needing to input a password.
Scenario 2: I manually put the display to sleep by using a hot corner. You come back and move the mouse and need to input a password in order to resume use of the system.

Did anyone ever respond to this?

Enable Fast User Switching and you have the option "Login Window", which will effectively lock your PC. You can select this from the little User dude in your top right corner.

You can use Better Touch Tool to create a shortcut for "Show Login Window." It's not quite a Hot Corner, but you can get a keyboard shortcut, mouse gesture or anything of the sort.

Neither of these involve the timeout, so you can continue to have no password on timeout.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

choobs posted:

I have a mid-2010 Mac Mini, so I know in ML I can't do AirPlay mirroring, but can you send audio to a Apple TV outside of iTunes? I'd love to be able to stream Spotify or Pandora or whatnot to my stereo from my computer.

If not, does anyone have any recommendations for Third Party apps to do this in Snow Leopard?

AirFoil?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

I can't seem to get migration assistant to work.

A friend of mine accidentally deleted the 'private' dir on her 2007 Macbook rendering it unbootable.

I don't know what version of OS X she had previously. I tried upgrading to 10.7 via USB boot but it says the version installed doesn't support upgrading. So I put in a new hard drive and install 10.7 onto that. Works like a charm.

Now I have her old hard drive hooked up via an external enclosure through FW400. When I run migration assistant it can't find the drive, just keeps searching forever. The drive mounts fine and I can see files on there.

What else can I do? Manually copy the files I guess? I'm not sure where to look outside of the user dir but I don't want to miss anything.

Basically whenever I set up a new Mac I copy my user's Documents, Pictures, Movies, Music, and Desktop contents, but I don't do Apps or anything. I suppose Migration assistant might copy over preference files for apps and things like that, but I like to set up computers from scratch so I do all my installs all over again.

That and I keep most of my stuff on Dropbox.

But honestly, all you should need is to copy those folders over and make sure the ownership is correct. Anything else she should be able to re-sync. Unless her mail is POP, in which case you'll want to certainly copy over the Mail files from your Library, but that's a little beyond what I've done recently so I can't suggest which files to work with here.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Martytoof posted:

Basically whenever I set up a new Mac I copy my user's Documents, Pictures, Movies, Music, and Desktop contents, but I don't do Apps or anything. I suppose Migration assistant might copy over preference files for apps and things like that, but I like to set up computers from scratch so I do all my installs all over again.

That and I keep most of my stuff on Dropbox.

But honestly, all you should need is to copy those folders over and make sure the ownership is correct. Anything else she should be able to re-sync. Unless her mail is POP, in which case you'll want to certainly copy over the Mail files from your Library, but that's a little beyond what I've done recently so I can't suggest which files to work with here.

Ok, I'll try that. Just figured migration assistant would also track down files stored outside of the user space. Also saves me from having to 'touch' her files, at least directly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, sorry I can't be any help as to *why* Migration Assistant won't work for you. Basically /private is super important to the UNIX underpinnings so I'm betting it probably relies on /etc/passwd or something which is now unavailable.

I suppose since you're going to this trouble that there's no chance she has a Time Machine backup, right? :(

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, sorry I can't be any help as to *why* Migration Assistant won't work for you. Basically /private is super important to the UNIX underpinnings so I'm betting it probably relies on /etc/passwd or something which is now unavailable.

I suppose since you're going to this trouble that there's no chance she has a Time Machine backup, right? :(

Not sure how that works. She had 10.4 installed so I guess that didn't have time machine. Maybe 10.7 Migration doesn't work with 10.4 installs? I'm going to try to upgrade her old drive to 10.6 tomorrow to see what happens. Maybe it will let me migrate to a clean 10.7 after that.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

choobs posted:

I have a mid-2010 Mac Mini, so I know in ML I can't do AirPlay mirroring, but can you send audio to a Apple TV outside of iTunes? I'd love to be able to stream Spotify or Pandora or whatnot to my stereo from my computer.

If not, does anyone have any recommendations for Third Party apps to do this in Snow Leopard?

Option-click the speaker icon in the menubar. The audio option for AppleTV should be in there.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

I don't have any need for airfoil anymore. I just choose my apple tv under system preferences - sound - output (mountain lion on mid 2010 imac).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok, so 10.6 allows me to install over a broken 10.4 but I haven't done it yet. Does anyone know what will happen if I do so? Will the old user accounts be restored? If it can't restore the old user accounts, will they still be safe?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I believe it'll move everything currently on the drive into a folder at the root directory called "Previous System." You'll have to do the legwork of putting files where they belong.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It'll move /System to /Previous System, but it won't affect user accounts. Those should remain in /Users untouched.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

wolffenstein posted:

It'll move /System to /Previous System, but it won't affect user accounts. Those should remain in /Users untouched.

But will the old accounts still work? Will the show up in the new install as valid accounts I can log into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
They should, but no guarantees. Use Disk Utility or SuperDuper to make a backup of the 10.4 install before using 10.6.