Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
So is the Gaping Dragon supposed to be such a pushover or what?
I beat him on the first try and didn't even break a sweat. It's attacks are so slow I could just leisurely stroll away from most of them. Pretty big disappointment after the intro it got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I've always had the most trouble with Priscilla's tail, when she's not invisible she spins around constantly and is pretty easy to kill without getting it. You only get one chance to sneak attack her too and I always gently caress it up and don't get it there.

If you hit her with an elemental effect she goes out of invisible mode (I only know lightning works, I'd assume fire would as well).

RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm

FrickenMoron posted:

Beat the painted world just now, moving on to DOUKS archives. Priscilla was really easy and I felt bad for killing her.

You should feel bad for killing her:

"A strange doll in strange dress.

There once was an abomination who had
no place in this world. She clutched this
doll tightly, and eventually was drawn into
a cold and lonely painted world."

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Dragonwagon posted:

I beat him on the first try and didn't even break a sweat. It's attacks are so slow I could just leisurely stroll away from most of them. Pretty big disappointment after the intro it got.

Yeah he's just got a lot of health and is really easy unless you forget to kill the channeler up top. That channeler will then be taking pot shots at you with soul arrow and he can do his aoe buff and make Gaping Dragon stronger.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

TastyAvocado posted:

You say this as if it matters, but how much damage something does before resistances doesn't matter at all. You can't look at just the numbers, pure damage type weapons will outdamage elemental weapons even if they have lower damage totals.

For example, against a royal giant in AL, a 535 damage lightning claymore hit for 176, and a murakamo with a just slightly lower 532 damage hit for a significantly higher 256. Even a 598 damage fire gargoyle halberd hits for less at 239. A BSS with only 377 damage hit for almost as much as the 535 damage claymore at 162.

Yeah I was just writing an edit about how resistances are actually a big deal, so unless the number is a lot higher (hit Y on xbox controller to cycle through the stats when you are equipping stuff) or the enemy is specifically weak to the other damage type then you're probably going to be better off with just the regular weapon. To use your example the lightning weapon underperforms massively because of those enemies in particular not being especially weak to lightning. The Fire weapon needs way less stat investment and it is only 17 less damage so that's exactly the conditions an elemental weapon excels in which results in similar damage with lower stat investment. But yeah, resistances are important so you have to take the numbers it shows you on the stats screen with a grain of salt in regards to the multiple damage type weapons, I've had a divine gargoyle halberd do as little at 81 damage which a lot less than the 500 it predicted.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Dragonwagon posted:

It's kind of a gearcheck. If you haven't upgraded any weapons, your attacks aren't going to be doing much damage. Most first time players will crack under pressure of fighting that big monster during such a long time period.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

That Gobbo posted:

If you hit her with an elemental effect she goes out of invisible mode (I only know lightning works, I'd assume fire would as well).

Fire does work although it appears to be based on damage dealt (I had to land a few of the weakest fireballs), I eventually got it on my third try after quitting to reset her health. My problem was that she would lose a decent amount of health from getting burned so I could see where to swing at and I didn't want to accidentally kill her before I got the tail which is what always happened on PS3 for me. Like I don't even use the thing either, I just had to have every tail weapon.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So why does aritoras' great sword swing faster 1h than 2h?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

TastyAvocado posted:

You say this as if it matters, but how much damage something does before resistances doesn't matter at all. You can't look at just the numbers, pure damage type weapons will outdamage elemental weapons even if they have lower damage totals.

For example, against a royal giant in AL, a 535 damage lightning claymore hit for 176, and a murakamo with a just slightly lower 532 damage hit for a significantly higher 256. Even a 598 damage fire gargoyle halberd hits for less at 239. A BSS with only 377 damage hit for almost as much as the 535 damage claymore at 162.

As a 50 faith character (and not being very familiar with the dark souls upgrade system), I was wondering how this all applies to faith/occult weapons. Is a +15 claymore significantly better than a +5 occult or +10 divine one when i have 16 str and 50 faith?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

BattleHamster posted:

As a 50 faith character (and not being very familiar with the dark souls upgrade system), I was wondering how this all applies to faith/occult weapons. Is a +15 claymore significantly better than a +5 occult or +10 divine one when i have 16 str and 50 faith?

No, with those stats the occult/divine weapon will be much better. The +15 weapons come ahead when you're using a good scaling weapon (which the claymore isn't) and have near 40 in the appropriate stat. For example a +15 man-serpent greatsword at 40 strength will be better than an occult/divine claymore at 50 faith.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

TastyAvocado posted:

It's worse than the weapon he's currently using, and significantly worse than the scaling weapons he should consider replacing it with. It's actually just not a great weapon to begin with with its mediocre damage, high strength requirement, high weight and inability to be enchanted.

Plus I want to get the dragon bone fist.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>
Any tips or tricks for Manus ?
I'm playing a STR with a +15 Two Hand Sword, I summon Sif but I can't beat the dude. :(

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Dragonwagon posted:

Yeah hes a pusherover but can be tedious to kill if you haven't been keeping up on your upgrades. Through resins can fix that too.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Just failed to get a host through O&S for the first time in about 35 attempts :(. Host decided to sit underneath a buttslam.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Fire does work although it appears to be based on damage dealt (I had to land a few of the weakest fireballs), I eventually got it on my third try after quitting to reset her health. My problem was that she would lose a decent amount of health from getting burned so I could see where to swing at and I didn't want to accidentally kill her before I got the tail which is what always happened on PS3 for me. Like I don't even use the thing either, I just had to have every tail weapon.

It's actually based on breaking her poise. When she gets stunned she re-appears. Pyros do a lot of poise damage so they work quickly. Even an un-upgraded Shortsword can stun her in about 3 hits.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Sometimes I see tons of messages, sometimes there's none. It seems to take the game a while to "warm up" and show online stuff occasionally.

My favorite message so far is "Weakness: Rolling" in front of a vase in Anor Londo. I've always liked "Try thrust" in front of the dead guy bent over the well at Firelink too.

I love leaving messages. My favorite is to put 'Try Jumping' in front of that well. I actually got an angry message over that one, but I deleted it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Someone put an "Illusory Wall" sign down near Artorias's tower. I must have smacked that thing a dozen times.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Edwhirl posted:

I love leaving messages. My favorite is to put 'Try Jumping' in front of that well. I actually got an angry message over that one, but I deleted it.

I actually fell for that once when I first bought the game. I thought the blood stains showed hints on what to do...and there was a message saying "Try Jumping" and a ghost leaping in there so I thought, what the hell? Only after jumping in to this thread did I find out those were NOT developer hints like in the tutorial. I laughed.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Anything completely stupid with this build? Should I go with 40 vit and 35 dex?

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
oop, was answered just a few posts above.

Getting cursed and dying at the bottom of that great tree in The Great Hollow was my first true dark souls moment. I love this game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone got tips for the iron golem? I keep dieing to it, mainly becuase the loving camera is sticking so low to the ground that I can't see where I'm going. Then I walk over an edge and die.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone got tips for the iron golem? I keep dieing to it, mainly becuase the loving camera is sticking so low to the ground that I can't see where I'm going. Then I walk over an edge and die.

Go human and summon the NPC Iron Tarkus, the best NPC summon in the game. To the right of the fog door there's a bridge to a tower, his summon sign will be in there. He can and will kill the boss on his own, or at the very least tank it so you can attack it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
On the off chance you have no humanity or the Iron Golem pulls off the unthinkable and flings Tarkus off the roof you can attack the Iron golem's achilles/shins until he staggers. Once that is done keep attacking the other one and he should fall to the ground. Just stab his head til he gets up.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Are you targeting him? Don't target big enemies.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't really like using summons, but I'll try stabbing him in the legs again. I wasn't doing much damage when I tried that the first time though. I've been using pyromancy which seems to work fine, I just keep rolling off the roof :downs:

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Does the weapon's divine damage only apply to the skeletons and such? And with the rest of the enemies will only the physical component matter?

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

MysteryNad posted:

It's actually based on breaking her poise. When she gets stunned she re-appears. Pyros do a lot of poise damage so they work quickly. Even an un-upgraded Shortsword can stun her in about 3 hits.

Seems unlikely. I beat her up with a black knight halberd +5 a few weeks ago and she stayed invisible the whole time.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Internet Kraken posted:

Pop a Power Within first. Then just run in, lock on, and murder his balls melee style. The first time I tried it like that he fell down and never got the chance to get back up

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Here's something cool that's pretty hard to do. Four Kings fight finished by defeating one king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XItIfMqey-M

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

woodenchicken posted:

Does the weapon's divine damage only apply to the skeletons and such? And with the rest of the enemies will only the physical component matter?

No, divine weapons deal magic damage to all enemies and get a small additional damage multiplier to skeletons and the like.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Stokes posted:

Here's something cool that's pretty hard to do. Four Kings fight finished by defeating one king.

That's pretty neat. It's dumb though that a fifth king shows up while you're fighting #4. Seems to kind of defeat the purpose.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I've made a couple attempts to beat the two sanctuary guardians.... almost definitely the hardest thing to do in the game. You could cheese them with ranged from the tunnels of course, but it was clearly put in as a crazy challenge.

I have to give it to from, I think the 4 new content bosses are all among the most well designed and funnest in the game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Did I break Solaires quest line? I summoned him for O&S, talked to him at the shrine in the parish. Then I went into Lost Izalith via shortcut, found the sunlight maggot and traded it in at snuggly (bad idea I know.) Then I went to the Bed of Chaos and killed it without ever doing the demon ruin bosses. His summon sign now does NOT appear at the centipede demon door and he's still at the shrine in the parish.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Did I break Solaires quest line? I summoned him for O&S, talked to him at the shrine in the parish. Then I went into Lost Izalith via shortcut, found the sunlight maggot and traded it in at snuggly (bad idea I know.) Then I went to the Bed of Chaos and killed it without ever doing the demon ruin bosses. His summon sign now does NOT appear at the centipede demon door and he's still at the shrine in the parish.

Have you gone and talked to him at the LI bonfire? I think if you do that you'll be all good.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

TastyAvocado posted:

I've made a couple attempts to beat the two sanctuary guardians.... almost definitely the hardest thing to do in the game. You could cheese them with ranged from the tunnels of course, but it was clearly put in as a crazy challenge.

I have to give it to from, I think the 4 new content bosses are all among the most well designed and funnest in the game.

You can hide in the hole and Gough's Greatbow them to death. Or at least do it that way to get their tails, then fight them normally if you prefer.

Stokes posted:

And people doubt the power of the Falchion and Darkmoon Blade :smug: Look what they can do when combined with Dragon Form, Hyper Mode, Power Within, and a Sunbro doing the Trident Dance to cheer you on.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Anyone in the mood to help my SL3 down O+S?

EDIT: gently caress you guys; I did it myself.

Russian Remoulade fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 7, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

And people doubt the power of the Falchion and Darkmoon Blade :smug: Look what they can do when combined with Dragon Form, Hyper Mode, Power Within, and a Sunbro doing the Trident Dance to cheer you on.

Does Dragon Body actually provide some sort of buff? I thought it was just a neat visual thing + unarmed attack bonus + unlimited Force through use of the Body Stone.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Alabaster White posted:

Does Dragon Body actually provide some sort of buff? I thought it was just a neat visual thing + unarmed attack bonus + unlimited Force through use of the Body Stone.

Boosts your defenses.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

TastyAvocado posted:

Have you gone and talked to him at the LI bonfire? I think if you do that you'll be all good.

He was at the bonfire after the Centipede and depressed, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Did I make a big mistake in going for the painting instead of going straight for OC & Stiggs?

• Locked thread