Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

birdlaw posted:

Some of TV Nihon's decisions are a bit of a mystery (and the rest are baffling as gently caress), but hey, who knows where we'd be today without them? Their spergy subs got the series the attention it needed to be done correctly, so it's tough to be anything but grateful.

There were three years in between that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay

rdbbb posted:

There were three years in between that, though.

I might be giving them too much credit, but I thought part of that three-year lull was because of the release of the DS game and the possibility of a US release for the show? If not for TV-Nihon I probably never would have noticed/bought the DS game, so there is that at least.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
That's giving them way too much credit. They don't care about the community or supporting the product in the least. They're an extremely self-entitled group that thinks picking niche titles nobody else covers leaves them at full liberty to do halfassed non-translations for subs, and then they say that if you don't like it, you can take it or leave it, because they're the only game in town for that show and they know it.

The fallacy with this is that by doing subs for a given series at all, they are reducing the chance that any other group worth their salt will ever spend time giving that title an actual worthwhile translation, because one already exists, even if it's bad and full of basic amateur mistakes, which TV-N's work most certainly is. Even if by some miracle someone else does come along, the first sub, TV-N's, will still be the default sub shown on websites that cater to that sort of thing. Because this is the way it works, when they poo poo out a translation and don't bother to polish it or even check for errors, they are making GBS threads up the quality of sub that future viewers will see first unless those viewers jump through hoops and forums to find out that a better version exists elsewhere.

Game Center CX is the exception to this, not the norm. The fact that the early episodes have been deferred until just recently due to TV-N's work on them only proves that the above statement is how it typically works in translation communities. Good on Team SA-GCCX for finally starting to give those episodes some real quality.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 8, 2012

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Hokuto posted:

The fallacy with this is that by doing subs for a given series at all, they are reducing the chance that any other group worth their salt will ever spend time giving that title an actual worthwhile translation, because one already exists, even if it's bad and full of basic amateur mistakes, which TV-N's work most certainly is. Even if by some miracle someone else does come along, the first sub, TV-N's, will still be the default sub shown on websites that cater to that sort of thing. Because this is the way it works, when they poo poo out a translation and don't bother to polish it or even check for errors, they are making GBS threads up the quality of sub that future viewers will see first unless those viewers jump through hoops and forums to find out that a better version exists elsewhere.

Thankfully in some circles this is changing for the better. Like the sentai/tokusatsu scene. There's a couple groups you can look to subbing the latest stuff at a much higher quality and a couple going back and doing old shows as well. The only people going to TV-N for this would be their 'fans'. And, sadly, they still have some.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Thankfully in some circles this is changing for the better. Like the sentai/tokusatsu scene. There's a couple groups you can look to subbing the latest stuff at a much higher quality and a couple going back and doing old shows as well. The only people going to TV-N for this would be their 'fans'. And, sadly, they still have some.

I've determined that there's no group so bad that someone won't defend them to the point of violent anger.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I agree that TV Nihon does not do justice to the GCCX subs. One reason for this that I can see is that the main series they are known for translating is not GCCX. They mainly translate the Super Sentai and Kamen Rider Series. That is what the translation group mostly focuses on. When I think of GCCX subs, I think of SA, not TV Nihon. TV Nihon should just get credit for introducing the subs of GCCX to English viewers.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I didn't know folks got so serious about their fansubs. I mean, the TV Nihon ones certainly don't do the show justice, but I'm not gettin' all the poo poo-talking going on.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Uwa! Zebious!

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

The White Dragon posted:

I didn't know folks got so serious about their fansubs. I mean, the TV Nihon ones certainly don't do the show justice, but I'm not gettin' all the poo poo-talking going on.

Not to continue this derail much longer but to understand the hate TV-Nihon gets you have to be familiar with them and how long they've been around. Like joek0 said they're mainly known for Super Sentai/Tokusatsu fansubs. And they've been doing it for awhile and were really the only game in town so you either had them or Hong Kong translations to go to.

They were dark times. :v:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
My hope for episode #147 is 1942. Arino had 2 shooting game challenges last season. I think that the staff enjoys seeing Arino struggle through shooting games. Also being a Capcom game, Arino's record for Capcom games is not that great. (7wins, 6 losses)

Also, what is Arino saying about Inoue at the beginning of the Karnov episode. Link to episode below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf8GxRvv55c

joek0 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 8, 2012

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

The White Dragon posted:

I work in the J-E translation industry so I take this subject pretty seriously. To cite an example of what I'm talking about, I worked on Funimation's official subs for a certain show during the time of its airing, not too long ago. I had enough material and advance support that I was able to produce solid subs in time for Funimation to release the sub simultaneously with its raw broadcast in Japan. These subs were posted on Youtube and they were completely free and open for anyone to view from the moment the episode got aired. Yet when I did Google searches on the show, I found that lovely after-the-fact fansubs with appalling mistakes and completely wrong terminology were still the predominant result. This kind of thing does hurt the viewers and the community and I really want people to become more aware of this.

Also, to address the excuse that GCCX is out of TV-N's area of expertise because they focus on tokusatsu: That is patently false. Their tokusatsu subs are as full of mistakes as everything else they put out. And when I say their subs are full of mistakes, I'm not talking about messed-up Japanese game terms (though those certainly exist); I'm talking about failure to grasp basic grammar and syntax to piece together the correct meaning of a basic sentence. People just don't know any better because TV-N's been the only source for a long time. I'm glad to hear that other groups are stepping up to start raising the bar in the tokusatsu sub scene because it's badly needed it for years now.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

To quote the OP of the tokusatsu thread:

Chibs posted:

Concerning TV-Nihon

TVN will gently caress up every show that you like, in short, and then get arrogant about it, basically saying that their non-translation (as in the examples above) is the best way to translate because you should know these Japanese words anyway because they're so common and to take them out would be to ruin the intent of what the original writers are saying and blah blah blah blah blah. They do a bad job and then blame the people who complain. Basically, it's a load of horseshit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Allen Wren posted:

Basically, it's a load of horseshit.
Okay, okay, that part I was totally unaware of, but you have to admit that those are pretty unintentionally hilarious.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

Allen Wren posted:

To quote the OP of the tokusatsu thread:

I'm just... sobbing. As someone who also works in translation, this wounds me to my very core.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Okay, okay, that part I was totally unaware of, but you have to admit that those are pretty unintentionally hilarious.

They're mostly just depressing. It's only recently that anyone else has come along to correct their poo poo, but for the longest thing they were the only game in town for a lot of stuff. (GCCX being a big one here.) It's even worse when they get basic things wrong because at least "o-baka-chan" stuff is obviously, compared to them flat-out reversing or misunderstanding things.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Tyma posted:

TV-Nihon subbed it as "Gamecenter CX Special : Super Mario Brother 2 2 & Hot Springs Games Journal"

Oh yeah... I was going crazy trying to think of how I'd seen this episode before if SA Team just now subbed it. TV Nihon didn't even enter my mind for some reason.

As for the new Pokemon thing, Tajiri looked really young for someone who was in the industry back in the 80's/90's, and who was reminiscing about Space Invaders from when he was 12. He would've been in his mid-to-late 30's during that interview, and he looks like he's maybe in his early or mid 20's

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hokuto posted:

I work in the J-E translation industry so I take this subject pretty seriously. To cite an example of what I'm talking about, I worked on Funimation's official subs for a certain show during the time of its airing, not too long ago. I had enough material and advance support that I was able to produce solid subs in time for Funimation to release the sub simultaneously with its raw broadcast in Japan. These subs were posted on Youtube and they were completely free and open for anyone to view from the moment the episode got aired. Yet when I did Google searches on the show, I found that lovely after-the-fact fansubs with appalling mistakes and completely wrong terminology were still the predominant result. This kind of thing does hurt the viewers and the community and I really want people to become more aware of this.

It seems to me that there's a certain insularness in the fandoms of foreign media that decides that impenetrability is a virtue. I hate that that attitude.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Random Stranger posted:

It seems to me that there's a certain insularness in the fandoms of foreign media that decides that impenetrability is a virtue. I hate that that attitude.

I remember sitting in on the end of the Funimation panel at Otakon a few years ago, and the guy on stage told a story about how they were putting subs on on YouTube/CrunchyRoll, and people were releasing subs that were literally FUNi's CR subs with a few intentional mistakes written in. Apparently, people were blasting Funimation for making such "obvious mistakes".

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Random Stranger posted:

I think it comes from this desire to be part of something special and to actually get it. You know, not many grown-men in their twenties appreciate Gundam, but God drat, I get Gundam! It's a way of making it seem more elite than it really is. It's the same reason why some people, whenever they have control of the iPod, will find the most obscure and noisy poo poo that they can and subject everyone to it, even though nobody else likes it at all. It's their way of showing off how cool they are, even if it is just to themselves.

So all those Japanese phrases and all that, they are just a way to show off how much cooler you are compared to those masses that don't get honorifics, Japanese curse words, or anything else.

However, on the TV-Nihon forums, someone brought up Zarigari's post on the subtitle quality of episode 11, and the subtitler said "Whoops! Japanese geography is not my strong point," so to be fair, they aren't terrible or horrible people.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

TheGreenAvenger posted:

I'm just... sobbing. As someone who also works in translation, this wounds me to my very core.

'Sup, fellow translators! I gotta say, after a long workweek, seeing these just made me throw my head back and laugh, laugh, laugh. It doesn't look like we'll be out of jobs just yet.

eta: It also reminds me of the Sugoi Squad's sub of Kai no Boken. I could only get through about twenty minutes, though the, er, quality was sublime; I'm still amazed that they did a full episode.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 8, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You know that was an april fools day joke right?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mister Chief posted:

You know that was an april fools day joke right?

Every day is April fools day for TV-Nihon.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

The infinitely smug expression of a man about to destroy you in a game he designed himself.

Another great episode, guys.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Cemetry Gator posted:

However, on the TV-Nihon forums, someone brought up Zarigari's post on the subtitle quality of episode 11, and the subtitler said "Whoops! Japanese geography is not my strong point," [...]

I do like that they didn't get offended over it and I commend them on that. However, that wasn't a hard line to translate. I'm not good at Japanese geography either and didn't know anything about Mt. Takao before GCCX, but that line clearly went "a staff member has to go home because they live in X" and they shouldn't have confused "Takao-san" as the staff member's name. (Also, it's commonly known to fans that Suda lives in Mt. Takao and rushes to catch the last train -- it's been brought up in the show several times. The show even released a minigame where you have to climb Mt. Takao to meet Suda at the top! This is a good example of why it's important know a show well before you translate it.) It's those kinds of frequent simple mistakes that shows their lack of Japanese comprehension.

(I'd like to stress at this point that I appreciate TV-Nihon for being the first ones to put GCCX subs out there and I sent them to all my friends before my SAGCCX days.)

Cemetry Gator posted:

[...] so to be fair, they aren't terrible or horrible people.

I have no qualms about that particular translator and I don't know anything about anyone there. That said, this post by their Kamen Rider translator is appalling and I was disheartened to see no one pointed out the offensive part.

Hokuto posted:

A bunch of stuff about the effects of bad fan translations

When I was growing up and anime wasn't nearly as mainstream as it is today, one of my pet peeves was fans claiming companies were doing a bad job of officially translating the stuff because they were so used to the poorly done fansubs. Most notably, fansub groups liked to put in a lot of unnecessary swearing and when they weren't present in the official releases, fans thought they were being censored.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 8, 2012

Jurai
Jul 26, 2011

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

the least weasel posted:

Wait, what's [CX]? Is this different from whatever else you usually sub?

Back when the show was mostly interviews and stuff with Arinos Challenge as a small segment, it was called Game Center [CX]. After one season they realized that the challenges were the best part and made it the main focus of the show, rebranding it as Game Center CX.

In the first CX episode, Arino says that some poor staff member had to go to all of his uniforms and painstakingly remove the [ ]s.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Gutcruncher posted:

Back when the show was mostly interviews and stuff with Arinos Challenge as a small segment, it was called Game Center [CX]. After one season they realized that the challenges were the best part and made it the main focus of the show, rebranding it as Game Center CX.

In the first CX episode, Arino says that some poor staff member had to go to all of his uniforms and painstakingly remove the [ ]s.

And for several seasons, the opening credits still read 'Game Center 「CX」', only to have the Japanese bracket things fly off in an animation. I don't know what season they finally ditched them entirely.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Tajiri really makes some great faces.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You can't threaten us with a Takeshi's Castle translation. We don't have the Family Trainer/Power Pad! :smugdog:

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008

zari-gani posted:

I have no qualms about that particular translator and I don't know anything about anyone there. That said, this post by their Kamen Rider translator is appalling and I was disheartened to see no one pointed out the offensive part.

I don't think I've ever seen someone compare a spelling mistake to slavery. Then again, I don't think I've met anyone that stupid either.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

The reason for that is that TV-N's forms are an Ego-cracy, ether you toe the party line or you get banned. Take it from experience; you ask anything about Astroboy 2k3 and they will ban you for it.

Do they still think they're hot poo poo with the use of after effects for when people transform in thier shows or are they past that load of stupidity?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 8, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I would be asking "why would you do that to us?", but we already got the translated Super Monkey Adventure, so any other somewhat bad Japan-only game made famous on GCCX won't matter as much since SMA is really loving horrible (at least from what I saw in the five minutes I played it before my dog begged me to stop).

Dizzybone
Nov 24, 2007

Looks great.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
How old are those TV Nihon screencaps? I've watched a few of the shows they've subbed and they never had stuff like that in them. :psyduck:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think I found my favorite phrase here, from the Golgo 13 episode His lecherous plans bear unexpected fruit.

:lol:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Obeast posted:

I would be asking "why would you do that to us?", but we already got the translated Super Monkey Adventure, so any other somewhat bad Japan-only game made famous on GCCX won't matter as much since SMA is really loving horrible (at least from what I saw in the five minutes I played it before my dog begged me to stop).

Takeshi's Castle is distinct from and not to be confused with Takeshi's Challenge.

Which was translated by some hot-shot translator called KingMike anyway:

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

zari-gani posted:

Oh what the unholy gently caress. I should look at poo poo like this more often so I can feel better about how I stumbled rear end-backwards into a translation job and feel I don't deserve it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Thanks for the new episode, team. The Satoshi Tajiri parts of this episode were something I wanted to see translated since learning about them being excised from Takenoko-tachi's release.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Do they still think they're hot poo poo with the use of after effects for when people transform in thier shows or are they past that load of stupidity?

I imagine so. It's one of the more commonly cited reasons I see for people preferring their subs.

Bocc Kob posted:

How old are those TV Nihon screencaps? I've watched a few of the shows they've subbed and they never had stuff like that in them. :psyduck:

They still do it. They decided to stop translating Fourze's "uchuu kita!" catchphrase like two thirds of the way into the show, and their Akibaranger was a complete mess.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 8, 2012

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Gutcruncher posted:

Tajiri really makes some great faces.

Tajiri has autism/aspergers, I believe. Would explain some of his mannerisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Do they do more of these "Max Shocking" segments? That was funny as hell