Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

Internet Kraken posted:

But someday my parry skill will pay off. Not sure when, but there has to be at least one boss you can parry.

You can actually parry a large number of boss attacks, you just won't generally be able to follow it up with a riposte aside from a few exceptions. Generally if it's swinging a weapon at you, the blow can be parried, if you can riposte afterwards depends highly on the size of the enemy which excludes the vast majority of bosses.

That's how I've read it anyways, I'm still pretty bad at parrying personally, first char was a str tank and only now with my dex guy have I gotten good at dodging. Figure a parry guy will come sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
learn to dodge, block, and parry all as necessary. you'll be able to lean on one as a preference but no single technique is going to get you through dark souls.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I know I've asked before, but for parrying darkwraiths, when are you guys hitting L2? Where on the arc of the sword, more or less? I don't know if that's easy to answer but I'm getting really frustrated.

edit: I mean drat, I just finished a trip through the the kiln, successfully riposte killing every black knight on the way down, and then getting a perfect no-damage win against Gwyn where every hit against him was a riposte. I know what I'm doing parry-wise, so why is this one enemy absolutely destroying me?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 10, 2012

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

I prefer to dodge rather than tank in most games. Against normal enemies I've been dodging and parrying rather tanking and it is really fun. It doesn't work well against bosses though, since I haven't seen one that can be parried. Also I'm terrible and dodging is hard against them so I just suck up my pride and use a real shield.

But someday my parry skill will pay off. Not sure when, but there has to be at least one boss you can parry.

VVVV I was told anything larger than a black knight can't be parried.

It absolutely blew my mind finding out that blocking with a heavy shield was just as, if not more, effective than dodging the attack completely. I never, never play a tank in a game like this, but with getting a black shield off my first knight and taking all the Capra Demon's swings like it wasn't a thing, I can't imagine playing with anything else.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I know I've asked before, but for parrying darkwraiths, when are you guys hitting L2? Where on the arc of the sword, more or less? I don't know if that's easy to answer but I'm getting really frustrated.
Something I've noticed, and that might be what's loving you up, is parrying is dependent not on the animation of the attack; it's dependent on when the attack actually makes contact with you. Low-level, it's most obvious with the torch wielding hollows: when they do that flailing dash attack at you, parrying them isn't dependent on them being in a certain state of their animation, but when their attack physically contacts your hitbox.

It kind of sounds like common sense if you think about it, but I'm going to bet dollars to donuts that the darkwraiths you're having so much trouble with (I can't confirm myself unfortunately) have some quirk either in attack pattern or programming such that their attack has a near-random pattern of hitting you, making it extremely difficult to parry.

It's just a lovely guess though, I haven't gotten a chance to fight them yet!

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 10, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah I definitely do all of them. Even with the shoulder dislocation roll you're going to be dodging some.

And as far as parrying the Taurus Demon goes I thought I read about it in this thread. I wasn't able to parry the ones in the Demon Ruins but I assumed I was just poo poo at parrying.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Internet Kraken posted:

I prefer to dodge rather than tank in most games. Against normal enemies I've been dodging and parrying rather tanking and it is really fun. It doesn't work well against bosses though, since I haven't seen one that can be parried. Also I'm terrible and dodging is hard against them so I just suck up my pride and use a real shield.

VVVV I was told anything larger than a black knight can't be parried.

You can parry basically any attack in the game. Even magic projectiles. You obviously won't recoil the enemy but you will lessen the damage you take and won't be staggered. It's usually referred to as a "partial parry." It's not very useful.

But yes, you can parry a couple guys bigger than black knights. The best example is the Tower Knights. They can be parried, but you can't riposte them so it's not very useful.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

Cowcaster posted:

Here's my latest stats snapshot after beating the Iron Golem. Feel free to engage my neuroses head on by addressing it with criticism! Or better yet ignore it and let me go mad turning over my own imagined mistakes in my mind!

So much vitality.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I saved, quit. I didn't want to sit through the logos for another 30 seconds before quitting so I just alt+f4'ed. Now my save games are corrupt. gently caress these logos.

Okay, so I come to the first post, the no logo fix. Great! I want to use this. There is no read.me in the zip file. There are no first post instructions for this. This file doesn't exist anywhere in the steam/common/dark souls/ folder except within a CAB file within the directX redist folder. Am I supposed to use LINUX wizardry to put this file into that .cab file? I don't know how to do that!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Just use DSfix.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Krinkle posted:

I saved, quit. I didn't want to sit through the logos for another 30 seconds before quitting so I just alt+f4'ed. Now my save games are corrupt. gently caress these logos.

Okay, so I come to the first post, the no logo fix. Great! I want to use this. There is no read.me in the zip file. There are no first post instructions for this. This file doesn't exist anywhere in the steam/common/dark souls/ folder except within a CAB file within the directX redist folder. Am I supposed to use LINUX wizardry to put this file into that .cab file? I don't know how to do that!

Get the latest version of DSFix here: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/

Read the very short, simple to understand readme.

Switch the "Skip logos" option in the .ini file to 1. Easy as pie!

EBT posted:

So much vitality.

People keep telling me to get more vitality :saddowns:

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Krinkle posted:

The few most recent versions of DSfix have the intro-skip built in. If you're using that there is an option in the config file.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Internet Kraken posted:

Okay, in Duke's Archives how the gently caress do you progress after reaching the third bonfire? I think what you have to do is turn the revolving staircase and then quickly get off it, and then when you go to the other side the staircase will be facing the direction needed to progress. However, every time I jump off the staircase I get killed by fall damage so I feel like I'm missing something.

There are two staircases that need rotating. First, rotate the one that's farther away... the one with the skeleton archer above it. Then, progress down that hall until you're able to jump down onto the next rotating stairway, the one with the magic-shooting rear end in a top hat at the top. Rotate the stairs, kill the magic-shooting rear end in a top hat, then walk back down the stairs and just to the right is the path you'll need to take to keep progressing.

You shouldn't die when you jump down onto the 2nd rotating stairway. You'll lose a little bit of health, but unless you're doing a SL1 run or something, you definitely shouldn't take so much damage that the drop kills you.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 10, 2012

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

If you're dieing regularly, feel free to get more vitality. People who talk about how you don't need any are trying too hard to impress people on the internet.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: I mean drat, I just finished a trip through the the kiln, successfully riposte killing every black knight on the way down, and then getting a perfect no-damage win against Gwyn where every hit against him was a riposte. I know what I'm doing parry-wise, so why is this one enemy absolutely destroying me?

For their slower, two hit combo, their sword wavers a bit before the swing, which is when I parry. The thrust is easy enough and is just like other thrusts. The fast 5 hit combo is nasty and certain death if you fail, so I just block it and wait for the last swing on the combo, hitting parry right as he turns around.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

You shouldn't die when you jump down onto the 2nd rotating stairway. You'll lose a little bit of health, but unless you're doing a SL1 run or something, you definitely shouldn't take so much damage that the drop kills you.

I think fall damage is based on a percentage of your life.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Fall damage is based on a percent of your max health :science:

EDIT: Beaten like a red headed stepchild.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Also, is there a big contingent of people who refuse to play tanky characters? I honestly thought this was kind of the definitive way to play Dark Souls when I started. I know now that part of what's cool about this game is making your own difficulty and playstyle, but I still can't imagine having chosen anything else for my first guy.

I'd say people playing with super heavy armor(fat rollin!) are a rarity from my summons. Heavy armor doesn't seem too hot unless you're trying to avoid stunlock in PvP. The loss of mobility/stamina regen really limits your attacks/rolls. While the benefit of extra defense doesn't stand out unless you reach certain thresholds.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tractor fanatic posted:

For their slower, two hit combo, their sword wavers a bit before the swing, which is when I parry. The thrust is easy enough and is just like other thrusts. The fast 5 hit combo is nasty and certain death if you fail, so I just block it and wait for the last swing on the combo, hitting parry right as he turns around.
Yeah, it's the five hit combo that always destroys me. I'm running a no-shield character, so the only option is to get behind him really. The target tracking is pretty good on it though, I always gently caress up. And of course, there is rarely just one of them at a time.

Maybe give up and just nuke them all with pyro or something?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Umberger posted:

I think fall damage is based on a percentage of your life.

As long as you're at full health and you don't pass the insta-kill threshold for fall height, you will never die from a fall.

e;fb Teach me to refresh a page, will you?!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

Get the latest version of DSFix here: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/

Read the very short, simple to understand readme.

Switch the "Skip logos" option in the .ini file to 1. Easy as pie!

Gibbed's logo skip is actually better than the DSFix version. There's this weird pause when I use the built-in DSFix one that isn't there when I use Gibbed's.

Also, you don't need more Vit. I don't even go past 16vit 90% of the time, I just pop the FAP ring on and I'm fine with my HP.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

When you're trying to punch the asylum demon to death, and he backs into a corner so that your only choice is to back off: how do you then not take damage when he's going to jump attack you.

I can't figure it out. I charge him, I jump out of the way, I jump perpendicularly, I run away from him. I have tried everything and in a war of attrition I can't be taking damage every time his fat rear end grinds the wall and I have to give him breathing room.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

What's a FAP ring?
Also I just got sucked into a painting. Is this the DLC? Should I be doing this?

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

Shima Honnou posted:

Also, you don't need more Vit. I don't even go past 16vit 90% of the time, I just pop the FAP ring on and I'm fine with my HP.

FAP (Faith and Protection) ring is nice but some playthroughs you just can't spare that constant ring slot for it. Also if you plan on leveling a fair bit and know what your build is gonna be, there's no reason not to pump some points into vit, sometimes that one extra hit is the difference between victory and defeat.

Cowcaster posted:

What's a FAP ring?
Also I just got sucked into a painting. Is this the DLC? Should I be doing this?

Painted world of Ariamis. You gotta go through but the boss is optional. Not DLC content and is pretty fun with some decent loot.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, it's the five hit combo that always destroys me. I'm running a no-shield character, so the only option is to get behind him really. The target tracking is pretty good on it though, I always gently caress up. And of course, there is rarely just one of them at a time.

Maybe give up and just nuke them all with pyro or something?

It's always possible to only pull one at a time. Darkwraiths are fortunately something the game doesn't force you to fight several of at once. If you really need to parry that fast combo, then hit parry slightly before his sword reaches the back end of his arc.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Cowcaster posted:

What's a FAP ring?

You are not in DLC but you are stuck. You can't leave now until you beat that area. Have fun!

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Cowcaster posted:

What's a FAP ring?

It's the ring you get from Lautrec.

The painted world is not the DLC. If you didn't rest at the bonfire you can homeward bone your way out but if you did you have no choice but to complete the area now (the boss is optional).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

What's a FAP ring?

Ring of Favor and Protection. Boosts HP, Stamina, and Equip Load by 20% each.

How to get it, the easy way:
Brutally murder Lautrec, either when you save him, at Firelink, or in Anor Londo as part of the sidequest.

How to get it, the hard way:
Trade the Xanthous Crown to Snuggly.

Why would you ever do this Q-Tip Head is the best helmet.

Harry Joe posted:

FAP (Faith and Protection) ring is nice but some playthroughs you just can't spare that constant ring slot for it. Also if you plan on leveling a fair bit and know what your build is gonna be, there's no reason not to pump some points into vit, sometimes that one extra hit is the difference between victory and defeat.

I primarily roll with low-level builds so that I can Sunbro. Vitality is wasted levels when I can instead use my points to ensure fastroll with most gimmicks, or have enough str/dex to use weapons I like or that go with said gimmicks.

Considering how much I've done in the game on console, I'm entirely confident in my dodging and blocking abilities that I don't need more than 900hp unless I'm specifically building for PvP.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 10, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Krinkle posted:

You are not in DLC but you are stuck. You can't leave now until you beat that area. Have fun!
Correction: you don't have to beat the boss in order to leave.

Also be careful as you leave, since you're still in the painting room surrounded by the guys in white, if they kill you its back to the painting's bonfire for you.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How do I give poo poo to that dumb rear end Asylum bird?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The boss is a chump though so feel free to squash her and save yourself a return trip.

VVV Considering the tone of this game I could easily see someone thinking she was lying and you had to kill her., otherwise you'd fall for an instadeath trap or something.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 10, 2012

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Samurai Sanders posted:

Correction: you don't have to beat the boss in order to leave.

Also be careful as you leave, since you're still in the painting room surrounded by the guys in white, if they kill you its back to the painting's bonfire for you.

Yeah well she literally explains this to you once you get to the area so I didn't think I needed to tell him this right now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

muike posted:

Drop it in the nest, quit the game, restart the game.

edit: just so you know I can't look at your avatar and not hear "Behold! The mysteries of the East!!" in my head.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

muike posted:

Pop into your inventory, hover over the item, hit A to access the menu, then drop it directly into the nest. Then quit out and come back. Do not drop more than one item at a time, even if it's a stack of items.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Quitting and coming back is the last thing I thought of doing, fuckin bird!!!

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I haven't seen anyone post this, and I hope I'm not late, but someone hacked the game and then got screenshots of a bunch of helmetless NPCs. Here's the link.

http://fenhunter.tumblr.com/page/4

I like Lautrec the best. He looks exactly like he sounds, it's hilarious.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Welp, where am I gonna get 40 dragon scales to get my fist to rank 10 AND the covenant item? Farming drakes for hours sounds pretty unfun.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Internet Kraken posted:

The boss is a chump though so feel free to squash her and save yourself a return trip.

You should go human long enough to trigger the NPC invasion before you do this though, he's my favorite one in the game.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Drop it in the nest, quit the game, restart the game.

Alternatively.

Drop it in the nest, mash action button by mistake, fly off cliff, run back from firelink shrine to pick up goodies :downs:.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Holy crap are these hollows supposed to be giving 330 souls a pop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I haven't seen anyone post this, and I hope I'm not late, but someone hacked the game and then got screenshots of a bunch of helmetless NPCs. Here's the link.

http://fenhunter.tumblr.com/page/4

I like Lautrec the best. He looks exactly like he sounds, it's hilarious.

That "someone" was Gibbed, you know this if you were in #FROMgoons on synirc!

• Locked thread