Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

SiKboy posted:

Thats surely not a rhetorical question; it was the nickname because his limbs were so long. I dont know if he started carrying an actual snake off his own back, or if that was a "Ricky the dragon is a literal firebreathing dragon" McMahon invention, but it worked so fair enough. I was always just glad McMahon latched onto the dragon part instead of trying to make him some sort of steamboat-willy type character.

Well, I have learned something new today. I always assumed it was because his character was generally kinda snake-y, backstabbing and the like, and because it rhymed with his name.

And yeah, at least the gimmick worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Cage Kicker posted:

In Mexico, do they slam people through the English announce table?

And do the crowds chant "Santa mierda!" afterward?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Quarex posted:

"Could Hulk Hogan's memory craft an Andre the Giant so heavy he could not bodyslam it?"

No. No, Hogan can slam Andre of any size.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

SiKboy posted:

I dont know if he started carrying an actual snake off his own back, or if that was a "Ricky the dragon is a literal firebreathing dragon" McMahon invention, but it worked so fair enough.
Jake had suggested carrying a snake to Bill Watts, and Watts responded with "This isn't the loving circus." McMahon later suggested it to Jake, who obviously was game.

I also just recently read that sometime early in his WWF career, Jake got injured and started taking steroids to heal, but also bulked up a bit. When Vince saw him he was disappointed and said "That's not what we want. We want you to be different...smooth, and sexual." No idea how true it is, but it's certainly odd to hear of Vince telling someone to get OFF the gas in 1987.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 10, 2012

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Remember that one Spanish announcer who whould always fall out of his chair real slow? That was the best part of the Spanish Announce table breaking.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Cromulent posted:

I also just recently read that sometime early in his WWF career, Jake got injured and started taking steroids to heal, but also bulked up a bit. When Vince saw him he was disappointed and said "That's not what we want. We want you to be different...smooth, and sexual."

:psyboom:

Honestly it's almost weirder to think of a time when Vince wanted someone to have his own distinct look instead of wanting him to be an interchangeable musclehead.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Hirams Bitch posted:

Remember that one Spanish announcer who whould always fall out of his chair real slow? That was the best part of the Spanish Announce table breaking.

I think that was Hugo Savinovich AKA the man who looked the most injured by the Mankind Hell In a Cell bump. He fell out of his chair for upwards of 20 minutes.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 10, 2012

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Glamorama26 posted:

I think that was Hugo Savinovich AKA the man who looke the most injured by the Mankind Hell In a Cell bump. He fell out of his chair for upwards of 20 minutes.

And I just read up on Savinovich and learned he was a wrestler, manager, and he was married to Wendi Richter. The more you know!

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Cage Kicker posted:

In Mexico, do they slam people through the English announce table?

This just reminds me of a few months ago when WWE went on the Mexico tour and the show ending angle was essentially Michael Cole vs. Jim Ross. They ran a main event angle in a country where they aren't even their announcers.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Watching the Rock (Plus Vince, Big Show, HHH and Foley) on SNL in 1999 on Netflix is kinda painful (in a car crash kinda way) - was WWF/WWE ever on SNL again?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Halloween Jack posted:

In my last post I interpreted this as "the guy doing the move is actually the one taking the bump."

So to actually answer your question: Any frankensteiner move.

What frankensteiners/hurricanranas are you seeing?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Manwithastick posted:

Watching the Rock (Plus Vince, Big Show, HHH and Foley) on SNL in 1999 on Netflix is kinda painful (in a car crash kinda way) - was WWF/WWE ever on SNL again?

The Rock was and for some reason every time he has hosted he does a crossdressing or a gay skit.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

The guy doing the move is definitely doing some work, but the guy taking it does a diving roll forward because you can't actually leverage someone's center of gravity like that.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Halloween Jack posted:

In my last post I interpreted this as "the guy doing the move is actually the one taking the bump."

So to actually answer your question: Any frankensteiner move.

Probably could have been clearer here. Cases where someone does an offensive move to themselves, no matter who's responsible for the safety of the move.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached
does Crockett Cup 86 exist in a full, unclipped format (aside from, presumably, in the WWE film vaults)?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Manwithastick posted:

Watching the Rock (Plus Vince, Big Show, HHH and Foley) on SNL in 1999 on Netflix is kinda painful (in a car crash kinda way)

Eh, not any more of a car crash than SNL from that era usually was.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
Did they cut the Lawler incident from RAW on the west coast feed? My DVR locked up at 10:08 when D-Bry was coming out. Got it going again live at 10:12 and it was the Del Rio at bat.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

EyeRChris posted:

Did they cut the Lawler incident from RAW on the west coast feed? My DVR locked up at 10:08 when D-Bry was coming out. Got it going again live at 10:12 and it was the Del Rio at bat.
It's possible because he was breathing funny and then you could see him in the background of shots. Believe me, it's not something you want to see.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.

EyeRChris posted:

I don't think they did because I saw it happen on the West Coast feed.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Manwithastick posted:

Watching the Rock (Plus Vince, Big Show, HHH and Foley) on SNL in 1999 on Netflix is kinda painful (in a car crash kinda way)
Yeah, it was terrible seeing those top guys being boring on a weekly show that had completely lost its way and forgotten what it was supposed to be about. And then they had to go and appear on SNL!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Are you saying Raw was boring in 1999, cause I'll take issue with that :colbert:

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Maybe this one.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

That's no hurricanrana, that's a flying lateral press to the dick.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Halloween Jack posted:

The guy doing the move is definitely doing some work, but the guy taking it does a diving roll forward because you can't actually leverage someone's center of gravity like that.

Oh, I a see. I misread your post as the attacker was the one who would appear to take the most damage, not about the actual execution of the move.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Halloween Jack posted:

I dare you to tell Scott Steiner that someone has to help him perform the move he innovated :colbert:

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

triplexpac posted:

Are you saying Raw was boring in 1999, cause I'll take issue with that :colbert:

The Rock N Sock connection would agree with you! Overall 1999 was a bad year, but it wasnt the worst. I nominate 2003 as a bad year, top to bottom for Raw.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

ColeM posted:

The Rock N Sock connection would agree with you! Overall 1999 was a bad year, but it wasnt the worst. I nominate 2003 as a bad year, top to bottom for Raw.

I think there were alot of years in the mid 2000s that were alot worse then 2003. Looking back on that midcard from then, it was such a mess. It is amazing how few of their hot prospects from the mid 2000s stayed around. MVP, Mr. Kennedy, Shelton Benjamin, Carlito, Umaga, Bobby Lashley, Elijah Burke, Orlanda Jordan, and quite a few more. All of these guys received a decent amount of air time, but were never anything beyond midcard guys.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Havoc904 posted:

It is amazing how few of their hot prospects from the mid 2000s stayed around. MVP, Mr. Kennedy, Shelton Benjamin, Carlito, Umaga, Bobby Lashley, Elijah Burke, Orlanda Jordan, and quite a few more. All of these guys received a decent amount of air time, but were never anything beyond midcard guys.
With the exception of Mr. Kennedy (...Kennedy), every one of the people you listed is a PoC, so honestly as scummy as the people at the top are, that doesn't surprise me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Havoc904 posted:

I think there were alot of years in the mid 2000s that were alot worse then 2003. Looking back on that midcard from then, it was such a mess. It is amazing how few of their hot prospects from the mid 2000s stayed around. MVP, Mr. Kennedy, Shelton Benjamin, Carlito, Umaga, Bobby Lashley, Elijah Burke, Orlanda Jordan, and quite a few more. All of these guys received a decent amount of air time, but were never anything beyond midcard guys.

How was Umaga nothing more than a mid card guy? He was being built up to main event and did just that. It wasn't a long run, but it didn't have to be.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Havoc904 posted:

Shelton was perfectly fine with being in the midcard. Carlito didn't give a poo poo about giving effort, if every single report ever was true. Lashley looked alright, but wasn't terribly exciting and IIRC he left due to some row between WWE and Kristal.

Burke was a definite underrated talent. Orlando Jordan...well, he sure made some memorable moments in TNA after. And as mentioned before Umaga was awesome. He isn't still around but for entirely different reasons :(

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

How was Umaga nothing more than a mid card guy? He was being built up to main event and did just that. It wasn't a long run, but it didn't have to be.

Umaga's character was a nifty throwback to the territory days when a monster heel would come in for months or a year to work a program with one of the top faces. I miss that guy :(

How MVP was handled was absolutely awful though, to think WWE still believes to this day that losing streak gimmicks work after they destroyed one of the most over midcarders with it speaks volumes. That dude should have been the pampered American athlete gimmick version of ADR and gone to the top at some point.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Jetfire posted:

Lashley looked alright, but wasn't terribly exciting and IIRC he left due to some row between WWE and Kristal.

He left because around the time he was scheduled to come back, Michael Hayes decided that he had "nothing for him." After being in the biggest match at last Wrestlemania, and having a rocket on his rear end for like six months before taking time off for an injury.

Not that Lashley was that great, but it's pretty ridiculous.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I remember them saying it was racism.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Bocc Kob posted:

I remember them saying it was racism.

Jim Ross, that son of a bitch!

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
If that's true, then why did they treat him like the new John Cena for so drat long?

I guess December to Dismember really was solely intended as a deliberate effort to kill off ECW once and for all, than it was about elevating Lashley or any of Vince's new "product".

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
05-06 was probably the worst period of the last 10 years for me, as it combined horrible tastelessness (JR's firing & Eddie bullshit), squandering opportunities/snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (Edge, Shelton), horrible gimmicks with (usually) bad wrestlers (Gymini, The Dicks), and bringing back horrible wrestlers (Tatanka, Animal). 02-03 is up there, but they still had a very good roster. 05-06 is where the cracks begin to show as the midcard starts becoming WWE produced and the veterans start retiring or getting released.

However the one thing I will not bash them for is that Orlando Jordan was always horrible and was never "a prospect," let alone a hot one.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Jetfire posted:

Shelton was perfectly fine with being in the midcard.

It has already been brought up in previous threads but I remember Shelton being more concerned with videogames than wrestling. Like almost obsessive to the point that they banned videogames backstage.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Speaking of eras in wrestling, I am over midway through watching 2000 WWF and I'm starting to get excited about rewatching the Invasion period in 2001. At the time I hated it, but I think the sudden influx of new guys all at once will be fun to watch again now that I know what to expect.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ColeM posted:

It has already been brought up in previous threads but I remember Shelton being more concerned with videogames than wrestling. Like almost obsessive to the point that they banned videogames backstage.

Yep dude loved video games and according to some he would rather play video games then watch other wrestlers and work on matches. Who knows how much of that is true and how much is he disrespected a veteran, but after they banned videogames he stopped giving a poo poo unless it was his yearly stupid bumps at MITB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

maniacripper posted:

Jim Ross, that son of a bitch!

I remember a shoot interview R-Truth did a few years back in which JR stated that wrasslin was a white man's sport amongst other things which really upset Truth. He then called Road Dogg (this was back in the K-Kwik days I believe) whom got really pissed about JR's comments. Road Dogg then calls JR and lays into him, after that JR apologised to Truth pretty much straight away.

:shrug:

Nut Bunnies posted:

05-06 was probably the worst period of the last 10 years for me, as it combined horrible tastelessness (JR's firing & Eddie bullshit), squandering opportunities/snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (Edge, Shelton), horrible gimmicks with (usually) bad wrestlers (Gymini, The Dicks), and bringing back horrible wrestlers (Tatanka, Animal). 02-03 is up there, but they still had a very good roster. 05-06 is where the cracks begin to show as the midcard starts becoming WWE produced and the veterans start retiring or getting released.

Oh man I couldn't agree with this more. Horrible times that were pretty much saved solely by Edge and the ONS 2005 and 2006 PPVs for me. After the Smackdown six era we had Batista, number one contender era which was amazingly lovely stuff.

The Cosby Mysteries fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 12, 2012