Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well, I'd have no problem with removing that starter adventure - but it looks like they've got art for it so I don't think it's going anywhere. It actually felt like a disservice to the rest of the game. I ran it straight and my players hated it. They felt like they were getting jerked around by the nose (the "tricks" and NPC guide made me cringe, but they played out less painfully than I expected), and everybody balked at the videogame cutscene where the macguffin gets stolen and I'M SORRY, YOU CAN'T USE THAT HERE thwarts everything. Of course it's a canned starter adventure, and everybody's mileage will vary, but so who knows.

I'm a little worried about the monsters. Every iteration I look at the Derro and panic a little that they still have that staggering / stacking buff instead of just something with the Escalation Die or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Dionysos, that is a fantastic idea. Having an intro adventure in the core book always felt like a shaft to me, especially since the odds of it being any good are...very low.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Man, that custom monster is cool as hell.

Dionysos510 posted:

I guess I should clarify that, while I'd prefer to see the intro adventures given away for free on the website, that is actually a secondary issue for me. My main wish is to see the page-count in the rulebook currently taken up by adventures to be given over to more monsters. If adding more monsters has to mean that the adventures go away completely, I'm totally OK with that.

I like this line of thought. Premade adventures are useful to me when I'm just getting into a system, because they give me an idea of what I should be shooting for with mechanics, encounter design, etc, but once that's over I'm much more interested in raw components that can be used for creating adventures. That's not just monsters, though; lists of plot elements or adventure concepts are also great, like the 'everything will be all right as long as this doesn't happen' descriptions of the Icons or the flavor for the different areas on the map.

I upped my pledge a bit because necromancers are my favorite thing in any game or setting, and I really really wanna make the stretch goal.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Dionysos510 posted:

OK, here's my radical suggestion: take the introductory adventures out of the core rulebook, put them up for free on the Pelgrane Press website when the book releases, and use the newly free page-count for additional monsters.

Thanks for the suggestion! However, when you read that Kickstarter update from Rob Heinsoo you will see this:

Rob Heinsoo posted:

Here's the current text for the Devil of the Fangs that Ironicus and I have agreed on. We'll get to stats and more details and write-ups later. Ordinarily I would do it now, but I'm working on getting 13th Age into layout this week!

So it's a bit late to pull out an adventure, write and illustrate new monsters, and add them in its place.

moths posted:

It actually felt like a disservice to the rest of the game. I ran it straight and my players hated it.

That may change by the time the game's published. The demos we ran at Gen Con and PAX revealed a lot about how 13th Age's strengths are best served in an adventure.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I can't even tell you how glad I am to see that. It's super-refreshing watching you guys take feedback, act on it, and make things better. Compared to, say, other playtests that I am Not Enjoying.

I saw this willingness to improve in the Kickstarter too. I maintain that it was a mediocre kickstarter at first, it's now a better one - so it's probably time for me to take the angry stick out of my butt and support it.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I do really appreciate that you guys are incorporating feedback, and I thank you for even having a dialogue with us here, Wade. I still have my own pet peeves and stick-up-my-rear end but just the fact that you all have shown willingness to change has me still hopeful for the game, if not super evangelistic about it with my friends anymore. Thanks!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Solomonic posted:

Man, that custom monster is cool as hell.

You're welcome :smug:. [It wasn't even a quarter that cool before Rob and Aaron got a hold of it. I just thought the book lacked a sea monster and mooks for tentacles seemed like a good idea.]

If you want to listen to a group (including the elf moon traveller from an earlier post) tackle my first draft of it I recorded a game session as bonus content for my group's 4E thread in Let's Play. Initiative is rolled 52 minutes into the first half of the recording, the fight takes up most of the second half.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Doing an interest check for a friend. For those of you who tried the worldbreakers from the At-Will Blog in your 4e games, how interested would you be in seeing them brought back to life in 13th Age?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

-Fish- posted:

Doing an interest check for a friend. For those of you who tried the worldbreakers from the At-Will Blog in your 4e games, how interested would you be in seeing them brought back to life in 13th Age?

gently caress. Yes.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

General Ironicus posted:

I just thought the book lacked a sea monster and mooks for tentacles seemed like a good idea.

It's totally a good idea! Usually kraken-type monsters have their tentacles modeled as individual enemies, but the mook system lets you fight a monster with a whole swarming forest of tentacles and just hack through them en masse, like in classical mythology. The mook system in general is pretty brilliant and deserves creative applications.

-Fish- posted:

If possible, this would be awesome. My 4e group's DM used the worldbreakers as design guides for building his bosses, and they were always very dynamic and interesting fights instead of solo slugfests. After the campaign was finished, he asked us for feedback and the biggest constant in our answers about what we liked was the boss encounters - they were just cinematic and exciting as hell.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

-Fish- posted:

Yeah, my players and I always loved these in our 4e games. I even wondered about using them in my 13th Age game a couple of weeks ago, so good timing.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Only 700 more dollars until it's funded! Which is quite a relief, a good friend of mine is really looking forward to the Monk.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 11, 2012

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

After we announced how close we were to funding, about 10 backers who came on board when we offered the free PDF beta cancelled their pledges. Hoever, a lot of new people joined when we showed off Ironicus' monster, including a backer at the Legendary Bard level.

Man, I wish Kickstarter had an Escalation Die.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's some weak, cheap stuff right there. I guess with making the pdf available early it was kind of inevitable.

It's still a little irritating that the pdf is basically the same between the core book preorder and the kickstarter. Is there any chance to swap one out for Trail of Cthulhu or some other Pelgrane book in PDF?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I think people pledging high to unlock stretch goals and build momentum and then dropping low or backing out later is just going to be a thing that you have to deal with as kickstarter gets bigger and people figure it out, like how we all got used to people sniping when ebay was young.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

moths posted:

That's some weak, cheap stuff right there. I guess with making the pdf available early it was kind of inevitable.

It's still a little irritating that the pdf is basically the same between the core book preorder and the kickstarter. Is there any chance to swap one out for Trail of Cthulhu or some other Pelgrane book in PDF?

I'm not sure I follow. The PDF you get for backing the kickstarter or preordering the book is not a PDF of the paid game, it's a way to see what the game looks like as it progresses and let you play it with friends and build hype. Asking to trade it for a paid game is kind of missing the point.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications
Wade -

Any idea when the OGL license will be available for 3rd party folks? I know some of us are itchin' to get to work.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Wade -

Any idea when the OGL license will be available for 3rd party folks? I know some of us are itchin' to get to work.

Also I am still anxious to hear about the viability of a STL. Like incredibly anxious.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jalathas posted:

I'm not sure I follow.

I got caught up in the fine print. The KS one doesn't update, it's just a neat perk that pre order people already have. :/

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

moths posted:

I can't even tell you how glad I am to see that. It's super-refreshing watching you guys take feedback, act on it, and make things better. Compared to, say, other playtests that I am Not Enjoying.

I saw this willingness to improve in the Kickstarter too. I maintain that it was a mediocre kickstarter at first, it's now a better one - so it's probably time for me to take the angry stick out of my butt and support it.

Darksaber posted:

I do really appreciate that you guys are incorporating feedback, and I thank you for even having a dialogue with us here, Wade. I still have my own pet peeves and stick-up-my-rear end but just the fact that you all have shown willingness to change has me still hopeful for the game, if not super evangelistic about it with my friends anymore. Thanks!

Thanks, I appreciate that. And moths, I'm touched by your generosity in describing the Kickstarter as we launched it as "mediocre".

moths posted:

Yeah, it was inevitable, and we took that into account when we made the offer. It's just a bummer because, "Hey, were're this close to the goal! Oh, wait. Crap."

moths posted:

You mean the core book PDF product that's coming out in December? I could ask Pelgrane if that's an option.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

The license has been available since at least early August. Rob posted guidelines for 3rd party folks on his blog and the Pelgrane site: http://robheinsoo.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-archmage-engine-or-how-to-publish.html

Did you want to do something that's not covered there?

Red_Mage posted:

Also I am still anxious to hear about the viability of a STL. Like incredibly anxious.

Did you have a chance to talk to Rob at PAX?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

waderockett posted:

Did you have a chance to talk to Rob at PAX?

I tried, but first there was a VIP, then he had to run to the hospital, so like no didn't.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Will templates be available for 13th age-compatible 3rd party material to be consistent with the core books?

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.
Oh, they made it.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

So when can we expect our video Mr. Rocketster?

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So when can we expect our video Mr. Rocketster?

Dammit.

::shakes fist at Simon::

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

waderockett posted:

Hoever, a lot of new people joined when we showed off Ironicus' monster, including a backer at the Legendary Bard level.

Speaking of which, hey guys, I'm a Legendary Bard, and I'm practically singing with joy that the funding goal has been met!

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
If this has already been answered, sorry, but is the Icon d12 going to be on sale at any time, or will it be a promo item only?

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

waderockett posted:

Did you want to do something that's not covered there?

Nope, just didn't see that was there. Thank you!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

waderockett posted:

Dammit.

::shakes fist at Simon::

MWAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHA

OmniDesol posted:

Speaking of which, hey guys, I'm a Legendary Bard, and I'm practically singing with joy that the funding goal has been met!

Care to share a little bit of your NPC/whatever or will we have to wait for a more solid update like Ironicus's river devil.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I bumped up my pledge from the pdf to the hardback - the monster previews and art pieces make it too much to pass up. Keep up the good work!

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Care to share a little bit of your NPC/whatever or will we have to wait for a more solid update like Ironicus's river devil.

Sure, I'll share a little bit. There's likely to be a solid update, which I'm sure will be far more impressive, but I will share my initial concept.

Name: Samuel Johnson Goldheart.
One Unique Thing: His unwavering optimism and infectious charm is so powerful, it's almost as though the world itself would be reluctant to inflict ill will upon him.

Physical description: Dark green eyes, a short beard, and long wild (yet not dirty) blonde hair, normally kept under a fetching hat. Stands about 5'12". Human. Often wearing some sort of eye-catching garb,as if he were oblivious to the concept of fashion, such as long purple coats with a bright yellow undershirt. Despite that, he manages to pull it off in a charming way.

Short bio: Samuel J. Goldheart, commonly known as "Smilin' Sammy G." is a bit of a celebrity. Having grown up in an unimportant little village known as Glen's Bluff, he defied his father's wishes to go into the (incredibly profitable) family alchemy business, and instead ran away from home to become a traveling bard at the young age of 18. Without a home to return to, he was forced to refine his musical talents to survive, picking up a lot of skills along the way.

Ten years, he spent wandering the lands, playing at taverns and taking performance gigs, almost exclusively in exchange for room and board. He traveled with adventuring parties, circuses, sailors, caravans... as long as he could find a way to earn his passage, he would jump at the chance to experience a change of scenery. He gained a lot of notoriety for two reasons: The first was his incredible enthusiasm for conversation. It didn't matter if you were a lowly farmer, or one of the icons themselves, Sammy would listen to your story just as intently, as if it were an epic tale, worthy of a rapt audience. The second was his optimism. He gained the nickname "Smilin' Sammy G." because, no matter how badly things were going for him, he always had this "king of the world" grin on his face.

At age 28, he received word of his father's sudden passing. Being the sole inheritor, he was now, for the first time in his life, the owner of a sizable fortune. Rather than settle down, however, Sammy used the money to expand his travels, spreading his notoriety all over the world, becoming somewhat of a celebrity in the process.

To this day, it's not uncommon to hear about him showing up in some obscure little town, booking a room at an inn for a week or two, and setting up stage, playing hits from across the globe, telling stories of his many travels. No longer for the money, it's mostly as a way to gather crowds, so he can pick up more stories to tell.

In particular, he loves finding adventuring groups, because they often have great tales of heroism. On some occasions, he has even been known to tag along with a group, so he can add another first-hand experience to his sizable repertoire. His combat experience is pretty decent, as traveling all around the land is not always the safest endeavor, so his presence is not likely to be a burden on the group. Then, one day, he'll just disappear and show up a few days later in another town, ready to swap more stories. Still just as enthusiastic as he was at 18... and still grinning that same grin.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Whelp, I put my money into the kickstarter, finally.

I have some sort of OCD thing where I wait until either a kickstarter is funded or the last day before I put money in. :shobon:

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Well Now we just need someone in this thread to pitch a dungeon and we'll have the hat trick.

Today I got a tshirt with the 13A logo and my screen name on the front, and an image of that monster sketch on the back. You guys are all cool folks, thanks. It's not something I'd personally wear, but it's very cool to have and I do appreciate it.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

New stretch goals went up today: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fireopalmedia/13th-age-expansion-book-13-true-ways-0/posts/307202

Doctor Epitaph posted:

If this has already been answered, sorry, but is the Icon d12 going to be on sale at any time, or will it be a promo item only?

To the best of my knowledge the icon die is only a promo item.

OmniDesol posted:

Cool! Rob and Aaron probably won't be able to give your NPC the same treatment that the monster got, but we'll definitely share Smilin' Sammy G. in an update before the Kickstarter campaign is done.

General Ironicus posted:

Well Now we just need someone in this thread to pitch a dungeon and we'll have the hat trick.

Today I got a tshirt with the 13A logo and my screen name on the front, and an image of that monster sketch on the back. You guys are all cool folks, thanks. It's not something I'd personally wear, but it's very cool to have and I do appreciate it.

I would love to see someone take that Dungeon Maker tier, just to see it happen.

I didn't even know about the t-shirt myself until today! I'll pass that along to Gerald.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Tollymain posted:

I wonder what the Necromancer idea plays like?

Simon got Rob to divulge some very brief but intriguing information about the necromancer here: http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=9062

Sacrifice?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

waderockett posted:

I would love to see someone take that Dungeon Maker tier, just to see it happen.

I didn't even know about the t-shirt myself until today! I'll pass that along to Gerald.

Can you loan me $495? Then I'll do it.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Okay, I saw this in the TG Kickstarters thread and I'm a bit curious. I'm not $50 worth of curious, though, and while I admittedly have a RPG-buying problem, I don't need a deadtree version of a game I'll never get to play (because my friends are only interested in games that start with "Path" and end in "finder").

How much is the PDF-only release going to cost? (Obviously I could back the expansion book kickstarter, get the PDF, and then back out my pledge, but that seems dickish.)

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

inklesspen posted:

Okay, I saw this in the TG Kickstarters thread and I'm a bit curious. I'm not $50 worth of curious, though, and while I admittedly have a RPG-buying problem, I don't need a deadtree version of a game I'll never get to play (because my friends are only interested in games that start with "Path" and end in "finder").

FWIW you could backport some of 13A's cool stuff to pathfinder if your friends are that devoted to it. Its not hard to sell the backgrounds system which would speed up levelling considerably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

Red_Mage posted:

Can you loan me $495? Then I'll do it.

Maybe we are a little short on time, but could a colaborative effort in this thread pay for the dungeon?

I'd pitch $50 to have a say.

• Locked thread