Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

XyloJW posted:

To be fair, Mitt Romney is playing political football with it. He immediately trotted out "Obama apologizing for America" poo poo. http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/12/world/meast/egpyt-us-embassy-protests/

*not true

The Cairo embassy's response on twitter was more than a little ham handed (and from what I've seen they've actually taken down the specific tweet that a lot of people were zeroing in on), but taking that and trying to turn it into Obama apologizing for America is quite the stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoLordling
May 13, 2008

If you can read this Sarah Palin's dick must have fallen out of my mouth. Please return it to it's proper position.
Vile Rat, your family is in my prayers...
Rest in peace.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

To be fair, Numismancer (Mittens) posted his name first.

Kekeke!
Nov 5, 2003

"Jesus christ man where did all these koreans come from!"

KaneTW posted:

To be fair, Numismancer (Mittens) posted his name first.

And the only reason he knew was likely a message from Vilerat's family. The entire reason you withhold that information is to keep families from having to get the news from a media source. Since he found out from the family, there isn't anything ethically wrong with scooping the state department.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Judging by Twitter and other sites it seems there's a lot of revulsion at this among everyone, first US ambassador to be killed since 1979 in Kabul, so it's a big story. The US reaction will be interesting, especially as it's election session. I don't expect any invasion of Libya or anything silly like that though.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Brown Moses posted:

Judging by Twitter and other sites it seems there's a lot of revulsion at this among everyone, first US ambassador to be killed since 1979 in Kabul, so it's a big story. The US reaction will be interesting, especially as it's election session. I don't expect any invasion of Libya or anything silly like that though.

Withdrawal from the Arab World (not completely, but politically) seems plausible.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Kekeke! posted:

And the only reason he knew was likely a message from Vilerat's family. The entire reason you withhold that information is to keep families from having to get the news from a media source. Since he found out from the family, there isn't anything ethically wrong with scooping the state department.

Yeah, that's perfectly fine; I meant that in response to Brown Moses' "Eurogamer have rather dickishly named him before the State Department has confirmed it". Then again, Eurogamer is a far larger site than themittani.com

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Brown Moses posted:

Especially since the government wasn't complicit, since it sounds like the Libyan security forces attempted to repel the assault, they just weren't able to. Assault on a diplomatic mission is always a big deal, but there's a pretty significant difference in appropriate response between "government stood by and allowed the mission to be violated and/or actively supported it" and "government attempted to keep the mission secure but was unable to."

Xandu posted:

Withdrawal from the Arab World (not completely, but politically) seems plausible.

I think that'd be a pretty big stretch. The murder of an Ambassador is definitely a big deal, but I mean...we had an entire Embassy taken over with dozens of individuals held hostage for over a year, and that didn't drive a withdrawal from the region at all.

* I know, Arab != Iran but the point stands for the larger "Middle East," especially as perceived by the American public.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 12, 2012

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Yeah, it wasn't 'Libya' who had any involvement. Just some brainless idiots with guns and chips.

I'm waiting for Obama's reaction also. Hm..

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

The Cairo embassy's response on twitter was more than a little ham handed (and from what I've seen they've actually taken down the specific tweet that a lot of people were zeroing in on), but taking that and trying to turn it into Obama apologizing for America is quite the stretch.

Apparently the Cairo embassy put out the statement condemning the movie before the protests began, but that was lost on critics who thought that it was in response to the protests.

It was taken down, but here is the text:

quote:

U.S. Embassy Condemns Religious Incitement

September 11, 2012

The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others

And here is Rience Priebus on the issue:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The reaction of journalists and Libyans alike is of total revulsion, I've not seen a reaction this strong for a long time.

Russia Today has a video of the attack, pretty horrible to watch so I'd advise against it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

iyaayas01 posted:

Especially since the government wasn't complicit, since it sounds like the Libyan security forces attempted to repel the assault, they just weren't able to. Assault on a diplomatic mission is always a big deal, but there's a pretty significant difference in appropriate response between "government stood by and allowed the mission to be violated and/or actively supported it" and "government attempted to keep the mission secure but was unable to."

The issue is the proliferation of Salafi groups, and whether the government has allowed them or simply doesn't have the capacity to stop them, not necessarily the government's action in this specific incidence.

The real question is what embassy security was doing. It's pretty rare for embassies or even consulates in the Middle East to be so easily accessible. Especially with an ambassador being killed.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

KaneTW posted:

Yeah, that's perfectly fine; I meant that in response to Brown Moses' "Eurogamer have rather dickishly named him before the State Department has confirmed it". Then again, Eurogamer is a far larger site than themittani.com

Several sites posted similar news including Vile Rat's real name, no reason to single out one of them. It's not like it couldn't have been found easily enough even without Numismancer's post.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT
I hope there is not either a violent backlash or a scapegoating of the local culture / religion.

Libya's a post-revolution country, and desperate reactionaries - as they always do - want to re-assert control through use of force. I mean, that's why the embassy staff was deployed there: they wanted to do the right thing and get the ball rolling on a safe, stable state.

gently caress those reactionaries.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Decius posted:

Several sites posted similar news including Vile Rat's real name, no reason to single out one of them. It's not like it couldn't have been found easily enough even without Numismancer's post.

Fair enough, looks like mainstream journalists are picking up on those articles now as well. I've had about 3 hours sleep so I'm not really very sharp this morning.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
According to an Al Jazeera reporter, it wasn't a pre-meditated attack.

The sequence of events is a group of fundamentalist Islamic people hear about the uploading of an offensive video to youtube and proceed to go into the streets, shouting for people to come out and attack the embassy. This they then proceed to do. It wasn't a planned event to tie in with 9/11 or anything, it was a spur-of-the-moment attack.

The real issue that the Libyan officials are now dealing with is how to deal with heavily armed minorities able to rally and do extreme damage when their own forces are drastically under-armed to defend themselves and others.

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!

Plavski posted:

The sequence of events is a group of fundamentalist Islamic people hear about the uploading of an offensive video to youtube and proceed to go into the streets, shouting for people to come out and attack the embassy. This they then proceed to do. It wasn't a planned event to tie in with 9/11 or anything, it was a spur-of-the-moment attack.

The real issue that the Libyan officials are now dealing with is how to deal with heavily armed minorities able to rally and do extreme damage when their own forces are drastically under-armed to defend themselves and others.
That seems really unlikely. The video was uploaded months ago and by sheer coincidence a bunch of people randomly decided to get upset about it on 9/11? It's just... unlikely.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Xandu posted:

The issue is the proliferation of Salafi groups, and whether the government has allowed them or simply doesn't have the capacity to stop them, not necessarily the government's action in this specific incidence.

The real question is what embassy security was doing. It's pretty rare for embassies or even consulates in the Middle East to be so easily accessible. Especially with an ambassador being killed.

That's a fair point.

As for the security, remember that external security of diplomatic missions is the responsibility of the host nation...the Marines and DSS folks are primarily responsible for internal security only. That said, it's still a good point regarding being easily accessible. If I had to guess I'd say it probably had something to do with the fact that all the facilities in Libya sat dormant for 25 years, since we closed the facilities and more or less broke off relations (although not officially) from 1980 until the mid 2000s...I could see the facilities not yet being upgraded to have the most current stand-off/barricades/etc, especially given the turmoil with the revolution.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

Plavski posted:

The report I'm reading suggests that the attack may have been organized by Gaddafi loyalists in response to the arrest of one of his intelligence ministers.

...Honestly, I'd say almost all of these reports are too early to draw reliable conclusions from. We'll probably have a clear picture of exactly how spontaneous or not the attack was in a few days.

EDIT:

quote:

Early reports are saying that the Libyan security guards did try to repel the attackers, but were unable to prevent them from storming the embassy.

I'm not exactly sure what that means, but (allegedly) they didn't just let the mob walk in.

The Ender fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 12, 2012

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Xandu posted:

That would be nice.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Plavski posted:

Back in 1979 the American embassies in Islamabad and Tripoli were overrun and both Pakistan and Libya were highly effective police states that crushed any public protest that did not suit them. The only thing that saved the 100+ staff in Islamabad from ashpyxating was the mob leaving once night fell.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

The Ender posted:

Early reports are saying that the Libyan security guards did try to repel the attackers, but were unable to prevent them from storming the embassy.

I'm not exactly sure what that means, but (allegedly) they didn't just let the mob walk in.

I meant DSS and marines. Even ignoring the embassy, it's not supposed to be that easy to get a US ambassador,let alone to the point where his body can be paraded around the street.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
That gets me too. I thought US embassies were highly guarded near fortresses in volatile countries.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm pretty dumb and don't know anything, but am I naive in thinking that this whole thing is going to turn out really bad, politically, for the Egyptian Salafists?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Xandu posted:

I'm hoping that this is finally what makes us realize that getting involved in the diplomatic affairs of a group of religious fanatics is not going to do anything for us but cost us a lot of money and good American lives.

If being the world's police means we have to lose people to ingrates in conflicts that we didn't start and have no stake in, I think it's time to turn in our badge and our gun.

tekz posted:

That gets me too. I thought US embassies were highly guarded near fortresses in volatile countries.

The comment in the Eurogamer article leaves me to believe that the guards weren't all loyal to the embassy. It was a second hand quote from Vilerat but I would imagine they were leaving the fortress when they were killed for a reason. It certainly wouldn't be the first time this month security forces turned on us in a middle eastern country.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

CNN has a report on "barrel bombs" in Syria.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 12, 2012

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Fruity Rudy posted:

The video was uploaded months ago and by sheer coincidence a bunch of people randomly decided to get upset about it on 9/11? It's just... unlikely.

The New York Times is reporting that a version of the video that is dubbed with Egyptian Arabic was just posted to the Internet this week.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Xandu posted:

I meant DSS and marines. Even ignoring the embassy, it's not supposed to be that easy to get a US ambassador,let alone to the point where his body can be paraded around the street.

Aren't Marines only posted at embassies? Wasn't this just a consulate?

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

Xandu posted:

--
(12:54:09 PM) vile_rat: assuming we don't die tonight. We saw one of our 'police' that guard the compound taking pictures
--
I am so completely frustrated by this.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Aren't Marines only posted at embassies? Wasn't this just a consulate?

Marines and DSS folks are posted at the consulates too. But I'll just point to my statement above about external vs internal security combined with the normal features you would expect at a U.S. overseas mission possibly not being present due to the facilities sitting dormant for 25 years.

e: That's not to say that something didn't get hosed up somewhere because yeah, parading an Ambassador's body around the street is pretty beyond the pale, just that there are plausible explanations beyond "Whoops, forgot to close the gate and have the Marines show up to work today!"

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 12, 2012

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

tekz posted:

There are aren't many public buildings in the world that can withstand an unexpected assault by a determined armed mob. It's mostly jus defended by whatever security guards the host nation can or wants to provide.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

These Salafist pricks were allowed to get away with all sorts of poo poo, including demolishing entire mosques.

Obama has apparently ordered to increase security at embassies and consulates across the country.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xandu posted:

It wasn't an embassy, it was a consulate: a few guys handling things like visas and the like.

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!

Brother Jonathan posted:

The New York Times is reporting that a version of the video that is dubbed with Egyptian Arabic was just posted to the Internet this week.
I'm not sure whether that information goes into the "pre-meditated" or "random act of crazy" column.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Obama statement on attack in Benghazi

Statement by the President on the Attack in Benghazi

I strongly condemn the outrageous attack on our diplomatic facility in Benghazi, which took the lives of four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens. Right now, the American people have the families of those we lost in our thoughts and prayers. They exemplified America's commitment to freedom, justice, and partnership with nations and people around the globe, and stand in stark contrast to those who callously took their lives.

I have directed my Administration to provide all necessary resources to support the security of our personnel in Libya, and to increase security at our diplomatic posts around the globe. While the United States rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others, we must all unequivocally oppose the kind of senseless violence that took the lives of these public servants.

On a personal note, Chris was a courageous and exemplary representative of the United States. Throughout the Libyan revolution, he selflessly served our country and the Libyan people at our mission in Benghazi. As Ambassador in Tripoli, he has supported Libya's transition to democracy. His legacy will endure wherever human beings reach for liberty and justice. I am profoundly grateful for his service to my Administration, and deeply saddened by this loss.

The brave Americans we lost represent the extraordinary service and sacrifices that our civilians make every day around the globe. As we stand united with their families, let us now redouble our own efforts to carry their work forward.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Most reports are indicating that consulate staff were killed by a rocket while trying to flee in a vehicle. There isn't much you can do to avoid that, beefed up security or not. I image that was the burning car from the video of the attack posted earlier.

This is depressing.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Xandu posted:

Hahaha no.

Do you think America's presence in the Arab world is just a nice gesture to the local people or something?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Fruity Rudy posted:

That seems really unlikely. The video was uploaded months ago and by sheer coincidence a bunch of people randomly decided to get upset about it on 9/11? It's just... unlikely.
That's the way these things usually go down - not driven by current events, but by various poo poo-stirrers who inflame tensions. It's the same in the US or anywhere, that rear end in a top hat Terry Jones being a perfect example. He plans some event, generates some propaganda and creates a horde of assholes out of thin air.

I forget what the last analysis of one of these protests I read was, but it was basically the same thing - I think it was the Qur`an burning riots that occurred long after the incident, but because some local muckety mucks had decided to pick that time to print up a bunch of propaganda and whip up a flash mob.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Origami Dali posted:

Most reports are indicating that consulate staff were killed by a rocket while trying to flee in a vehicle. There isn't much you can do to avoid that, beefed up security or not. I image that was the burning car from the video of the attack posted earlier.

This is depressing.

CNN on TV is suggesting two separate incidents. One person dead at the consulate and later the ambassador and three staff killed when trying to leave the consulate in a vehicle. Very confusing right now.

*And they just confirmed on air Sean Smith as one of the dead.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fruity Rudy posted:

Was browsing Twitter for comments and I see that another former D&D mod, mccaine is gloating over the murder of Vilerat on Twitter:

Is this guy banned? I hope so.

• Locked thread