Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

gibbed posted:

The hunt for cut content! :toot:

There's a model for a cut badass looking boss with golden armor who looks a bit crazy. His armor seems like it's darkwraithy so he's possibly the darkwraith boss mentioned in cut Ingward dialogue. Until I get my model viewer working I can't really show his model

The model files for the player obtainable version of the armor are still in the game, unfortunately not for the sword he wields.

The internal developer name for this boss is 不死王ジャ=イール, if anyone reads Japanese and is willing to translate (Google Translate nets "Ja = eel king immortality").

Oh my god that's siiiiiick. Kind of has that hoary look of the various chaos beasties, or the firekeeper souls. Love the look of this game, even the cut content is amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Since we're talking about texture replacement, here's a file for all the original "You Defeated" prompts. I haven't tried this myself because I don't know what file to replace but I'm told it works.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Kaubocks posted:

Since we're talking about texture replacement, here's a file for all the original "You Defeated" prompts. I haven't tried this myself because I don't know what file to replace but I'm told it works.

This was posted in the thread yesterday. It does work and I think my favorite part of the PC version now is having YOU DEFEATED back.

The latest version of DSfix contains a folder where you dump texture replacements, put that file in there and toggle the ini setting for texture replacement on. One that seems to be missing there is replacing "Bonfire Lit" with the old "You Lit the Bonfire."

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

One that seems to be missing there is replacing "Bonfire Lit" with the old "You Lit the Bonfire."
Here are the textures from the PS3 version.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ah, sorry then. Sometimes I get home from working all day and there's 200+ new posts in here that I don't get caught up on.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
Is there any chance orv can add a section in the OP for good texture mods that get posted here?

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Seeing those makes me wish I could use DSfix without turning the entire game into console Blighttown. It doesn't work for me even if I set it to run the game's default resolution.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

gibbed posted:

The hunt for cut content! :toot:

Holy poo poo that is an awesome looking set of armor. Too bad there isn't a helm (or is there?).

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

That's very cool, gibbed! Is there any way to make the cut content be equippable by the player in a not too complicated form?

gibbed posted:

The internal developer name for this boss is 不死王ジャ=イール, if anyone reads Japanese and is willing to translate (Google Translate nets "Ja = eel king immortality").

Let's just wait for Samurai Sanders to chime in, he sure knows his japanese!

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

VisAbsoluta posted:

Let's just wait for Samurai Sanders to chime in, he sure knows his japanese!

I think his title is Undead King. I have no idea what his name is, though. Undead King something.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Umberger posted:

Holy poo poo that is an awesome looking set of armor. Too bad there isn't a helm (or is there?).
That boss doesn't have one on, and the helm with the same model ID as the armor set looks unrelated. It's also glitched and makes your jaw dissapear.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Eel king immortality sounds like a reasonable Dark Souls boss name to me?

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

gibbed posted:

That boss doesn't have one on, and the helm with the same model ID as the armor set looks unrelated. It's also glitched and makes your jaw dissapear.

Maybe the model it belongs on doesn't have a lower jaw? Can you see that in your model viewer?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Heti posted:

Maybe the model it belongs on doesn't have a lower jaw? Can you see that in your model viewer?
The model is a standard equipment model, meant for wearing on standard human (player/human NPC) bodies.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I just killed Seath! :toot:

The Duke's Archives is my favorite area of the game by far, and I didn't have lots of problems like some people were saying earlier in the thread. However, on a first playthrough, having to run through the Crystal Cave to fight him was rather obnoxious.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I've got a couple of questions about the concept of Sin.

a) Only sinners in the Book of the Guily with more than 0 sin can get invaded by purple phantoms, right?
b) Does 'normal' sin get you into the book (e.g. by attacking/killing NPCs) or do you specifically have to be indicted after PvP?
c) If it's the latter, what is the point of 'normal' sin?
d) Does an absolution clear your name out of the Book of the Guilty?
e) Is a place in the BotG (and the ability to be found/invaded) character- or account-specific? People are listed with their account name but seem to always have the same character. Do other characters from the same account who have not sinned also show up in the book?

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 12, 2012

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Does anyone know the name of the texture file for Solaire's armor and shield?

handsome only face fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 12, 2012

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

I've got a weird graphical glitch in the forest area, if you turn the camera in a certain direction everything turns blue. I've made a short video of this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R3k0ox90Ww.

I'm using DSfix v1.2, SMAA on 2, no SSAO, DoF: override 810, no scaling, blur 1.

Does this happen to anyone else?

EDIT: Confirm that it's related to DSfix since it doesn't occur without.

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 12, 2012

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efFF-yfRd14
The true Dark Souls PvP experience.
I'm a big fan of gimmick builds and invading fools as Tarkus is awesome, makes me want to recreate the Smough I had on the 360.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Toiwat posted:

I've got a weird graphical glitch in the forest area, if you turn the camera in a certain direction everything turns blue. I've made a short video of this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R3k0ox90Ww.

I'm using DSfix v1.2, SMAA on 2, no SSAO, DoF: override 810, no scaling, blur 1.

Yes, it happened to me to.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
There anyone playing at the moment that wants a sunbro? I'm SL20 and just sitting around in the undead parish waiting to get summoned for the gargoyle fight. I'm not getting summoned often enough!

ppzheng
Jan 4, 2008

cat doter posted:

There anyone playing at the moment that wants a sunbro? I'm SL20 and just sitting around in the undead parish waiting to get summoned for the gargoyle fight. I'm not getting summoned often enough!

Your level is probably too high. Try 13 or so and you will get a lot more needing help.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

ppzheng posted:

Your level is probably too high. Try 13 or so and you will get a lot more needing help.

I guess so! Probably better to wait around the gaping dragon.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ppzheng posted:

The level range is plus and minus 10 SL, right? 20 should get like 90% of the players. Thing is, griefing is so rampant in the parish that players just don't go human there too often.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

HenryEx posted:

a) Only sinners in the Book of the Guily with more than 0 sin can get invaded by purple phantoms, right?
b) Does 'normal' sin get you into the book (e.g. by attacking/killing NPCs) or do you specifically have to be indicted after PvP?
e) Is a place in the BotG (and the ability to be found/invaded) character- or account-specific? People are listed with their account name but seem to always have the same character. Do other characters from the same account who have not sinned also show up in the book?

a) Darkmoon can only invade you if you are human, have sin and you are in an area you have no beaten the boss yet.
b) Indicted sin can only be removed by being killed by a darkmoon covenant member. Normal sin can be removed by the preacher.
d) See part b)

ppzheng
Jan 4, 2008

HenryEx posted:

A) Blue phantoms a.k.a. Spirit of Vengeance can invade any player with a sin count > 0.

B)Any sin will get you into the Book of the Guilty. Even if it wasn't accrued through PvP. Indictments from PvP will increase your rank in the book of the guilty while non-PvP sins will not.

C)Normal sins can be cleared through absolution while Indictment based sins can not be.

D)Absolutions will remove your name from the book only if you have 0 PvP related sin counts.

E)Don't know.

It should also be noted that Darkmoon Covenant members (Blue Phantoms) can invade even while they are hollowed. They will only fight players up to 10% higher level but can fight players any level below them. For example, a SL 100 player can invade players of SL 1-110.

Darkwraiths (Red Phantoms) invade players 10% below their SL range to any level above them. So a SL 100 player can invade players of SL 90 - Level Cap.

ppzheng fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 12, 2012

ppzheng
Jan 4, 2008
edited due to lovely information

ppzheng fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 12, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ppzheng posted:

It's 10% of your SL. Not 10 SL. So the level range at lower levels are actually quite narrow.

Last I saw in this thread, they said it was 10SL + 10%

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Could anyone help my SL 21 character beat Artorias? I'm infront of the boss door currently. GfWL tag is Iretep11.

ppzheng
Jan 4, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Last I saw in this thread, they said it was 10SL + 10%

I stand corrected. It's 10% of your SL or 10 SL. Whichever is lower. So yes, your level 20 would give you the range of level 10-30. Where are you placing your sign?

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Toiwat posted:

EDIT: Confirm that it's related to DSfix since it doesn't occur without.

Yeah, I think it has something to do with the particle fog in the forest. It happened a couple times in there and a couple times in the Manus fight when the force field got between the camera and the player. The first time I saw it was during Bed of Chaos after you cut the right root. The cutscene went wild for a second after it exploded. I assumed it was caused by the SSAO but guess not if you have it off.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Did the PC version change any of the calculations for optimum poise/weight setups? Like I remember just using Giant's Gloves/Hollow Soldier Waistcloth was the lightest way to hit a certain poise breakpoint, has that changed at all?

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I need someone who's better than me at this game explain how the elusive "invulnerability" frames while dodging work.

Do I dodge so I'm rolling when the attack "connects" during a bossfight? Do I begin the roll exactly when it's about to hit me? Add to this the "Darkwood Grain Ring" that makes my character do another sort of dodge - Is it any better or is it just for the looks?
I've been incredibly lazy during my first playthrough by using simply a 100% physical block shield and a lot of heavy armor, so I'm utterly lost on how to dodge those certain enormous boss-slams. Is there "An idiots guide to dodging"? :shobon:

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

ppzheng posted:

I stand corrected. It's 10% of your SL or 10 SL. Whichever is lower. So yes, your level 20 would give you the range of level 10-30. Where are you placing your sign?
It's actually 8 to 32 since it's 10+(10% of SL) so 20 would be 10+2.

Are there any toxic dudes after Blightown? I went in backwards to get the eagle shield and watched like 3 fall to their deaths for some reason and I'm hoping it's the last I have to see of that drat status effect forever.

Also, anyone get a bug where you unlock an achievement again? I've just gotten the "Reach Lordran" achievement again so now I've discovered covenants before leaving the tutorial area. :v:

e: what are the poise breakpoints and what would having 161 or whatever from Havel's+Wolf get you? Would that mean you could take multiple greatsword attacks and then stillswing, or would you just reach a point where it's max like stats max out at like 50 for the most part.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 12, 2012

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Master_Odin posted:

Are there any toxic dudes after Blightown? I went in backwards to get the eagle shield and watched like 3 fall to their deaths for some reason and I'm hoping it's the last I have to see of that drat status effect forever.

I don't remember those assholes showing up again, but there are other enemies who inflict Toxic and appear at other areas, yes. :choco:

Regarding poise breakpoints, read this thread right here.

Lamquin posted:

Dodging stuff.

In practice, if you are trying to take advantage of your invincibilty frames, all it means is that you should roll a little later than your reflexes would suggest. This works pretty well, at least for me.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 12, 2012

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Someone named Hollow Solaire just helped me beat Artorias at SL21. If you're reading this thanks a lot.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Lamquin posted:

I need someone who's better than me at this game explain how the elusive "invulnerability" frames while dodging work.

Do I dodge so I'm rolling when the attack "connects" during a bossfight? Do I begin the roll exactly when it's about to hit me? Add to this the "Darkwood Grain Ring" that makes my character do another sort of dodge - Is it any better or is it just for the looks?
I've been incredibly lazy during my first playthrough by using simply a 100% physical block shield and a lot of heavy armor, so I'm utterly lost on how to dodge those certain enormous boss-slams. Is there "An idiots guide to dodging"? :shobon:

Invincibility frames happen at the start of your roll. You really should just use trial and error to learn, since I think it's easier than having it explained to you. The ninja flips have more invincibility frames, and you can flip again immediately, which not even the fast roll can do.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM

Lamquin posted:

Is there "An idiots guide to dodging"? :shobon:

Most of your questions have already been answered, but I find the best way to learn something is to force yourself to do it, in your case, not equipping a shield might be good.
I'm currently doing a lot of invading using the parry dagger and my bare hands to force myself to learn how to pvp dodge/parry for example.
And I think I might have done it to you.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Master_Odin posted:

e: what are the poise breakpoints and what would having 161 or whatever from Havel's+Wolf get you? Would that mean you could take multiple greatsword attacks and then stillswing, or would you just reach a point where it's max like stats max out at like 50 for the most part.

The breakpoints are the values you need to clear to be able to take a 1 hit from different weapons without staggering. 76 lets you take a 2h R1 from the biggest weapons in the game (ultra greatswords, giant axes, etc), 53 lets you take the same from all of the other weapons, 31 is the same for just the smaller stuff like spears and smalls swords.

I've read that your poise value also has a regen effect like stamina does, where you take a hit and then your poise is regen'ing and you take another hit and may be able to absorb it if you've regen'ed enough. This is where having poise beyond the breakpoitns would be useful, but I don't know if there's solid information on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I've got my summoning sign at the gaping dragon now, got it sitting next to the stairs down to the fog wall thing. Still SL20. Anyone who wants a dude to hit the things that you want to hit then I will hit those things with you.

• Locked thread