Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
That's some sweet rear end calligraphy there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

OatmealRaisin posted:

Man, I'm about to start tearing up here at work. I hope we manage to resolve this without driving another country into the ground.

Do you seriously not realize that that's what's already happened in Libya? An Islamist militia staged a riot so that they could attack the US consulate in Benghazi with explosives. That doesn't happen when things are running smoothly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This is making me tear up, all these people. Can we get some translations of the Arabic signs?

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

From a protest in Benghazi today

[edit] Few more

These legitimately brought tears to my eyes.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Augure posted:

Do you seriously not realize that that's what's already happened in Libya? An Islamist militia staged a riot so that they could attack the US consulate in Benghazi with explosives. That doesn't happen when things are running smoothly.

There are other, non-military options that are much better than military force. Building up civic institutions and the Libyan Army through training and financial assistance is much, much better than throwing SEALs and drones at the problem.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Found some more on Sadek. Turns out he has a history of pissing off a lot of people in Egypt including some extreme pro-zionist articles like this one

http://www.bikyamasr.com/5409/the-egyptian-israeli-conflict/

And it seems he lost his Egyptian Citizenship for calling for attacks on Egyptian Muslims. So he's certainly someone who could carry a heavy enough grudge. Though can't seem to find anything outside of the sludge websites like JihadWatch on this.

On a much more positive note, those pictures are absolutely wonderful and inspiring.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

And yet the English on those signs are better than your average Tea Party rally.

Please don't politicize this. I don't think anyone else wants more drama to this already lovely situation.

Thanks for posting those BM. Very poignant.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

These legitimately brought tears to my eyes.

Yeah. Me too. It brought back memories of me cheering on the Libyan people during the arab spring.

These people are our friends and they haven't forgotten how much we care about them.

I have no doubt that the extremists who carried out the attacks will be hunted down and brought to justice.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Augure posted:

They just came out of a civil war.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Zeroisanumber posted:

There are other, non-military options that are much better than military force. Building up civic institutions and the Libyan Army through training and financial assistance is much, much better than throwing SEALs and drones at the problem.

No duh but saying "I hope we don't run this into the ground" is like, uhh, a year late? Ish?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Right, I was talking about storming in and "liberating" the hell out of the place like we've been known to in the past.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
:(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Did they even have Marines at the Libyan embassy?

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!

Augure posted:

No duh but saying "I hope we don't run this into the ground" is like, uhh, a year late? Ish?
We vs. he. Qaddafi did this. We could still make it a lot worse, and I also hope we don't.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

I thought about this post as soon as I heard the news. :(

Do we know anything beyond the fact that it was a planned attack?

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

kylejack posted:

We vs. he. Qaddafi did this. We could still make it a lot worse, and I also hope we don't.

No, Kylejack, I do not think that Gaddafi formed an Islamist militia to attack US diplomatic personnel.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I feel both outraged and saddened beyond words by this.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I understand that its a natural reaction to look for something that we can do here (in the US) to prevent this from happening again, but you guys who are arguing for increasing restrictions on free speech are really dangerous. That is a terrible mindset to have, and it will be horrible if that is one of the results of this death.

RIP Vilerat.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Tom Pridgen posted:

Do we know anything beyond the fact that it was a planned attack?
Ansar al-sharia looks like the most likely culprit, but reports are conflicting over whether they've claimed or denied responsibility.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Honestly, Vilerat would probably be one to appreciate the gallows humor and irony in this if he were around. :(

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

whydirt posted:

Honestly, Vilerat would probably be one to appreciate the gallows humor and irony in this if he were around. :(

Oddly enough gallows humor has been punished with bans and permabans all day.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

whydirt posted:

The horrifying irony is part of why I'm outraged. A humorous person, he was making light of the very factors that eventually lead to his death in that post.

As someone who loves satire dearly, seeing someone becoming a victim of essentially the very thing he just made fun of just horrifies and saddens me utterly.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 12, 2012

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!

Augure posted:

No, Kylejack, I do not think that Gaddafi formed an Islamist militia to attack US diplomatic personnel.
Qaddafi created the civil war by refusing to step down, and the civil war created the power vacuum that the militia exploited. I think you're being a little pedantic when the poster has clarified he was simply saying that he doesn't want to see a massive US invasion of Libya over this.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fog Tripper posted:

Posts like this really are annoying as gently caress. Nobody wants tanks rolling in to commit mass genocide. People are simply having reaction to a not even day-old tragedy involving one of our own e-buddies. So, can we knock the poo poo off and just let people speak their minds?

gently caress.

No. Not if it involves violence and dehumanization of others. Or if it reinforces the abhorrent trend of US imperialism and cultural superiority.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

whydirt posted:

Yeah, I know... poo poo just sucks.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

kylejack posted:

Qaddafi created the civil war by refusing to step down, and the civil war created the power vacuum that the militia exploited. I think you're being a little pedantic when the poster has clarified he was simply saying that he doesn't want to see a massive US invasion of Libya over this.

I totally agree that nobody should want to see a massive US invasion of Libya but the point that I wanted to make is that Libya has already been driven into the ground by the civil war that we took part in.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Augure posted:

I totally agree that nobody should want to see a massive US invasion of Libya but the point that I wanted to make is that Libya has already been driven into the ground by the civil war that we took part in.

If we didn't take part in it the country would be in the same state but with much less people.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

OneEightHundred posted:

Ansar al-sharia looks like the most likely culprit, but reports are conflicting over whether they've claimed or denied responsibility.

They're not going to have very many allies after killing a diplomat who helped halt Qaddafi's attempted genocide.

Starbux
Jul 25, 2009

The Three Smugmigos
:smug::hf::mmmsmug::hf::smug:
I will miss rustling Vile Rat's jimmies in EVE Online with my shenanigans :(

RIP Goonfriend

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
"Apologies to the Prophet, Apologies to America"

"The armed minority of today will become the tyranny of tomorrow"

"Don't turn Libya into Afghanistan"

"No to the militias, yes to the army"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

az jan jananam posted:

I just want to take a moment to thank you and Brown Moses for all you've done for this thread in the past.

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

CommieGIR posted:

Did they even have Marines at the Libyan embassy?

Once more just for clarity (several pages since this was corrected).

It was a CONSULATE, i.e. an ordinary office type building taken over by some people in order to carry out basic visa/passport/admin type poo poo.

An Embassy is usually a large, well designed, purpose-built structure with all sorts of anti-demo features, which is largely defensible in most circumstances.

If we use bad terminology it just adds mud to already muddy water.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

az jan jananam posted:

*Translations of Photos*

Thank you, so much.

HCO Plumer GCB GCM posted:

Once more just for clarity (several pages since this was corrected).

It was a CONSULATE, i.e. an ordinary office type building taken over by some people in order to carry out basic visa/passport/admin type poo poo.

An Embassy is usually a large, well designed, purpose-built structure with all sorts of anti-demo features, which is largely defensible in most circumstances.

If we use bad terminology it just adds mud to already muddy water.

Sorry, my mistake.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

az jan jananam posted:

Thanks for the translations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I know someone made a "Mitt Romney smirking" site could someone collate all these photos? I feel it's rather more important that they get a wide audience [e]rather than Romney photoshops.

Munin fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 12, 2012

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Teddles posted:

The guy who made the video thinks that all muslims are like those who attacked the embassy, and the muslims who attacked the embassy think that all Americans are like the guy who made the video.

:suicide:

The most succinct post about how loving stupid this crime is.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Munin posted:

I know someone made a "Mitt Romney smirking" site could someone collate all these photos? I feel it's rather more important that they get a wide audience.

The vengeful side of me wants our own photoshop thread for that to trash Romney for exploiting vilerat's death for cheap political points, but the better part of me just feels too disgusted to do something that pedantic.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Brown Moses posted:

From a protest in Benghazi today

[edit] Few more

This makes me wish there was something we could do to let them know that the hate in that movie doesn't represent all of America either. But since half our country would see that as "apologizing for America..." I don't think that's going to happen :(

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I had the TV on in the background when Inside Edition came on and they actually talked about VileRat in more than passing. There was a solid 30 seconds or so dedicated to him, shockingly. They had pictures of him, background info, and it also included a brief clip of him talking at what they called a recent gaming convention.

They went on to say that he was gaming when poo poo hit the fan. He was apparently on a voice chat program, yelled "gunfire" and immediately logged off :(

Sad as gently caress, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Well this is quite a thread development to come home to. :smith:
I didn't know Vilerat but he once chastised me for not capitalizing my posts.
Anyway he genuinely seemed like a nice guy beyond whatever dickish opinion that may be posted about him. This was a senseless act of violence and the loss of innocent lives is just a really poo poo thing.

Regarding the attack, though, I'm not drawing very strong connections between it and the Muhammad video. Not because I think the authors are free from blame or because I think this is the barbaric action of bloodthirsty savages, but rather because, from what I gather from the Libyan situation (what's been posted in this thread during the last few months, etc), the motivations behind this act were deeper than the spontaneous outrage that we saw some years ago with the cartoon protests. This is just my opinion and I'm far from being the most knowledgeable person about anything at all, but it seems like the political motivations supersede the religious. We're talking about an armed group that's gearing more and more towards confrontation and antagonism with the Libyan government - as az jan's post says, they were soundly defeated in the provisional elections, they've alienated large sectors of the Libyan public through acts of vandalism, violence and simple outright dickery, and, as can be deduced by the very nature of the attack on the embassy/consulate/whatever, they seem pretty adamantly against the policy of disarmament of militias that's been pushed by the NTC. I see this as a premeditated show of might of a group of violent, marginalized outcasts, who see such a heinous attack as a great way of strongly damaging the current Libyan government's standing with the US and the West, as well as throwing any semblance of political stability and public order that has been gained in the last months out of the window.

• Locked thread