Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
This whole situation is sheer madness and incredibly saddening---just terrible and condolences to all that've been lost. I especially hope people are able to get to the bottom of this as far as the people behind this video that stirred things as well as the actual attacking force---anybody doing stuff so brazenly insane is liable to do so again if they get further chances.

That pic/video of Romney's bizarre attempt at a "gotcha" with respect to this is absolutely chilling.

ExiledTinkerer fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Spacedad posted:

The vengeful side of me wants our own photoshop thread for that to trash Romney for exploiting vilerat's death for cheap political points, but the better part of me just feels too disgusted to do something that pedantic.

Just to make absolutely clear. I want the photos of the Libyans to get a wider since I think they are more important than cheap Romney shots.

e/sp

Munin fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 12, 2012

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

az jan jananam posted:

"Apologies to the Prophet, Apologies to America"

while I appreciate the sentiment, based on the photos there are at most 200 people in attendance.

Eastern Libya on the other hand, has long been a disproportionate supplier of foreign fighters to extreme Islamic causes.

I personally thought the Libyan intervention was ill-advised because Qadaffi gave up his nuclear program, and presumably this entailed us providing a security guarantee for him to do so. To turn around and bomb him out of power a few short years later goes against wider counterproliferation efforts, and frankly ruins our credibility with other states that we might want to walk off the nuclear edge.

We also benefited from the fact that our interest were aligned from a counterterrorism perspective. Granted - the CT angle was exacerbated by Qadaffi being a huge dick and probably being a driver of some of that radicalization, but circa 2011 that is just how things were.

I don't think anyone has a grip on eastern Libya, there is clearly a radical threat in there, and I'm not confident we can easily contain it. It would be extremely naive to think that senior policy makers aren't looking toward Syria and now more strongly worrying about potential second/third order effects of Assad actually being removed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

whatis posted:

I had the TV on in the background when Inside Edition came on and they actually talked about VileRat in more than passing. There was a solid 30 seconds or so dedicated to him, shockingly. They had pictures of him, background info, and it also included a brief clip of him talking at what they called a recent gaming convention.

They went on to say that he was gaming when poo poo hit the fan. He was apparently on a voice chat program, yelled "gunfire" and immediately logged off :(

Sad as gently caress, man

http://themittani.com/news/rip-vile-rat

Pretty much...

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Happydayz posted:

while I appreciate the sentiment, based on the photos there are at most 200 people in attendance.

There are more gatherings of hundreds of people like that all over Libya right now. This is also literally a day after the events - expect more people to turn out later.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

Vilerat and his online gaming is being covered on Fox News, the International Herald Tribune, and several other major media outlets.

Pieter Pan
May 16, 2004
Bad faith argument here:
-------------------------------->

quote:

(CBS/AP) U.S. officials believe that an attack on a U.S. Consulate in Libya resulting in the death of an American ambassador may have been planned and not solely the actions of a spontaneous mob demonstrating against an online video ridiculing Islam's Prophet Muhammad.

"This was a coordinated attack, more of a commando-style event," House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers, R-Mich., told CBS News Capitol Hill producer Jill Jackson. "It had both coordinated fire -- direct fire and indirect fire. There appeared to be military maneuvers approaching the facility."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57511043/u.s-officials-deadly-libya-attack-likely-planned/

This is exactly what I meant earlier. I don't think the film has anything to do with it. We should stop with blaming a couple of bigots in California.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pieter posted:

This is exactly what I meant earlier. I don't think the film has anything to do with it. We should stop with blaming a couple of bigots in California.

To be fair, those assholes keep trying to provoke this poo poo.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

Pieter posted:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57511043/u.s-officials-deadly-libya-attack-likely-planned/

welllll - if the douchers hadn't made the film, there might not have been huge rear end riots that preoccupied the Libyran and Embassy security. A handful of dudes attacking without a distraction would probably have been far less successful

quote:

There are more gatherings of hundreds of people like that all over Libya right now. This is also literally a day after the events - expect more people to turn out later.

Well, guess I just got schooled on that point.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

whatis posted:

I had the TV on in the background when Inside Edition came on and they actually talked about VileRat in more than passing. There was a solid 30 seconds or so dedicated to him, shockingly. They had pictures of him, background info, and it also included a brief clip of him talking at what they called a recent gaming convention.

They went on to say that he was gaming when poo poo hit the fan. He was apparently on a voice chat program, yelled "gunfire" and immediately logged off :(

Sad as gently caress, man
Someone posted in the GBS thread what looked like lines with IRC-style timestamps, so he was definitely talking with people right as the attack happened.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

ExiledTinkerer posted:

This whole situation is sheer madness and incredibly saddening---just terrible and condolences to all that've been lost. I especially hope people are able to get to the bottom of this as far as the people behind this video that stirred things as well as the actual attacking force---anybody doing stuff so brazenly insane is liable to do so again if they get further chances.

That pic/video of Romney's bizarre attempt at a "gotcha" with respect to this is absolutely chilling.

Someone close to home is having his death used by a political scumbag to score cheap points among his awful racist base. The intensity of my disgust and loathing for Romney is indescribable.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GWBBQ posted:

Someone posted in the GBS thread what looked like lines with IRC-style timestamps, so he was definitely talking with people right as the attack happened.

Yeah, what he actually said was

gently caress
GUNFIRE

Which all the news services are truncating to "GUNFIRE"

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!
The movie that inspired the riots may not exist. So far all anyone can find is the supposed trailer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/world/middleeast/origins-of-provocative-video-shrouded.html?_r=1&hp

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've been Tweeting about him all day and talking about him to journalists so I'm hoping some of them picked it up from there.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

I don't know how to put this delicately: That article also has the COD for Vilerat, which I haven't seen posted earlier.

quote:

Al-Sharef said two U.S. Marines sent to Benghazi when the clash erupted were shot and killed. It was not immediately clear whether the Marines were part of Stevens' security detail. The American whose death was confirmed on Tuesday also died of a gunshot wound. He was identified by the State Department on Wednesday as Foreign Service Information Management Officer Sean Smith.

CBS News confirmed that the two other Americans who died in the attack were Marines. All four bodies have been taken to Tripoli.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Happydayz posted:

welllll - if the douchers hadn't made the film, there might not have been huge rear end riots that preoccupied the Libyran and Embassy security. A handful of dudes attacking without a distraction would probably have been far less successful

Someone pointed this out to me earlier:

It wasn't the embassy, it was the consulate. Much smaller and no armed guard beyond his bodyguards.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This is apparently the timeline of events

quote:

10PM local: US Consulate Benghazi compound begins taking fire.

1015: Attackers gain access to compound and set it ablaze. Libyan and American security services respond. Three people were inside, became separated from each other while trying to evacuate.

1045: US security personnel assigned to annex try to regain main building, take heavy fire and return to annex.

1120: US and Libyan security personnel make another attempt and regain main building.

1200AM: The mission annex comes under fire, lasts for two more hours. Two additional US personnel killed and 2 more wounded.

200: Libyan security forces assist in regaining control. At some point (not sure when) Stevens got out of the building and taken to a hospital in Benghazi. His body returned to US personel at the Benghazi airport.

Later that evening, all personnel evacuated back to Tripoli on chartered aircraft. They are now in the process of being evacuated to Germany.

US embassy down to emergency staffing levels. All diplomatic posts ordered to review security posture and take all necessary steps to enhance it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This makes me wish there was something we could do to let them know that the hate in that movie doesn't represent all of America either.

They do know that. But inasmuch as there is a large number of Americans who believe that 9/11 taught them all they need to know about Islam, and as such are willing to cheerlead any military operation in the Middle East, so is there a large enough number of Libyans who believe all Yanks are homicidal monsters, and as such join Al Qaeda or whatever. It's not the particularly aware and enlightened people doing the fighting on either side.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ras Het posted:

They do know that. But inasmuch as there is a large number of Americans who believe that 9/11 taught them all they need to know about Islam, and as such are willing to cheerlead any military operation in the Middle East, so is there a large enough number of Libyans who believe all Yanks are homicidal monsters, and as such join Al Qaeda or whatever. It's not the particularly aware and enlightened people doing the fighting on either side.

I'm waiting for a "All I know about Christianity I learned from the Crusades" bumper sticker.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

Kaal posted:

I don't know how to put this delicately: That article also has the COD for Vilerat, which I haven't seen posted earlier.

the one good thing about this being a preplanned attack is that there is a return address that can be found. Time for a good old fashioned manhunt.

also - based on the timeline, it looks like the 2x Marines died trying to secure the facility / personnel. What a mess this all must have been

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Ras Het posted:

I can't help but wonder if Romney's irrepressible grin at that fact-deficient press conference he had was because he had a lock on guaranteed casus belli, a new 9/11 to get the masses whipped into a frothing outrage for a new war. He seemed so happy about bad news, about 'outrage'.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

HCO Plumer GCB GCM posted:

Once more just for clarity (several pages since this was corrected).

It was a CONSULATE, i.e. an ordinary office type building taken over by some people in order to carry out basic visa/passport/admin type poo poo.

An Embassy is usually a large, well designed, purpose-built structure with all sorts of anti-demo features, which is largely defensible in most circumstances.

If we use bad terminology it just adds mud to already muddy water.
US consulates are usually built to similar security standards as embassies.

The problem here is that these buildings haven't been used by the US for decades, and they moved back in less than a year ago. So there hasn't exactly been time to bring the facilities up to date with current security standards - if that would even be possible in the first place. Given the security needs in a place like Libya the long term plan is probably to build a completely new consulate in another part of town.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

This was my first thought immediately when I found out.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Also:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

5er posted:

I can't help but wonder if Romney's irrepressible grin at that fact-deficient press conference he had was because he had a lock on guaranteed casus belli, a new 9/11 to get the masses whipped into a frothing outrage for a new war. He seemed so happy about bad news, about 'outrage'.

Or it could've been because he's a deranged sociopath. I mean, of course there is a new big war in Libya if you're looking for it, but if it's marketable, it's Obama's for the taking.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Fox is really dialing up the racism here. Crying that innocent christians are getting attacked all over the world, and nobody cares. Saying the video didn't cause the attacks because these people would have attacked the embassy anyway. They were just looking for an excuse!

How is Fox a channel?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Saying the video didn't cause the attacks because these people would have attacked the embassy anyway.
This is probably true.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

It's not his film, he just helped promote t due to the popularity he got for being a racist piece of poo poo that Jesus himself would condemn. That said, I would happily pay for the plane tickets that send Terry Jones and the film's creator to Libya or Egypt.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fox is really dialing up the racism here. Crying that innocent christians are getting attacked all over the world, and nobody cares. Saying the video didn't cause the attacks because these people would have attacked the embassy anyway. They were just looking for an excuse!

How is Fox a channel?

Not defending Fox, but it's sounding like the video didn't cause the attack - that the attack was a planned attack on the consulate and just happened to coincide with the Egypt protests.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

How is Fox a channel?

That one part is true. They're saying it was a coordinated attack planned in advance on the building that used the protest as facilitation and distraction.

Not sure if they intended to use the protest for help in the attack or it was just a coincidence though.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I agree it was probably an excuse, but since when has giving your enemies prepackaged propaganda tools been a good idea?

EDIT: GWOT is an Image war. Perception is everything.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

5er posted:

Congressman Charlie Rangel said to Martin Bashir today that he believes Romney is a threat to national security.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

MRC48B posted:

I agree it was probably an excuse, but since when has giving your enemies prepackaged propaganda tools been a good idea?

If that's so, then the war certainly isn't going too loving well, with or without Reverend Jones and his ilk.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

How is Fox a channel?

It's tremendously profitable to lure viewer eyeballs via cheap, sleazy, and moronic programming. Fox News is akin to reality TV in this way.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Oh Wikileaks, I thought you used to be cool

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

MRC48B posted:

I'm pretty bothered by the idea that I'm an active participant in the War on Terror, just because I live in the United States. (And I don't think you really believe that's the case either; is complaining about American police abuse not also "prepackaged propaganda"?)

e: ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Did the US even actively support the UK there?

Amarkov fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 12, 2012

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Highspeeddub posted:

Congressman Charlie Rangel said to Martin Bashir today that he believes Romney is a threat to national security.

I'd say that's accurate.

More on that here: http://video.msnbc.msn.com/martin-bashir/49009145/#49009145

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Ah, apologies then. Still, they seemed to be implying that Libya is full of savages who need no reason to do violence to Americans.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Not defending Fox, but it's sounding like the video didn't cause the attack - that the attack was a planned attack on the consulate and just happened to coincide with the Egypt protests.

I think its a hell of a coincidence for two consulates to be attacked simultaneously, and instantly the invisible finger of fate gets pointed at this anti-Muslim video, before we even have details as to who was hurt; this entire thing is incredibly fishy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Brown Moses posted:

Oh Wikileaks, I thought you used to be cool

I feel I should storm twitter and abduct that sentence.

• Locked thread