Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Ah, apologies then. Still, they seemed to be implying that Libya is full of savages who need no reason to do violence to Americans.
This is probably exactly what they meant - still, they were right about the attack probably being inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Brown Moses posted:

Oh Wikileaks, I thought you used to be cool

Jesus Christ, that organisation has completely derailed.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Brown Moses posted:

They were before they went out of their way to make everything they leaked be political.

Also rip vilerat.

Still have no idea what Romney is doing. First Paul Ryan and now this? Guess he's decided to just swing for the fences till November.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Great job wikileaks making yourselves look as bad as Romney.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Spacedad posted:

I feel I should storm twitter and abduct that sentence.

"How dare the US try to police the world while not policing the world!!"

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/world/middleeast/us-envoy-to-libya-is-reported-killed.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0

quote:

One witness to the mayhem around the compound on Tuesday said militants chased him to a safe house and lobbed grenades at the location, where he was later found unconscious, apparently from smoke inhalation, and could not be revived by rescuers who took him to a hospital.

Killed while being chased like an animal. There are also unconfirmed photos of the Ambassador's corpse being dragged through the streets.

Ughh

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

international owl day posted:

"How dare the US try to police the world while not policing the world!!"

Yeah. This kind of pretzel loop logic spin is the sort of thing wikileaks should be fighting against, not propagating.

gently caress you, wikileaks.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Happydayz posted:

Killed while being chased like an animal. There are also unconfirmed photos of the Ambassador's corpse being dragged through the streets.

Those are confirmed, but it's also confirmed those are his body being dragged to the hospital.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Happydayz posted:

There are also unconfirmed photos of the Ambassador's corpse being dragged through the streets.

Someone else posted that Clinton said those were pictures of him being taken to the hospital.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Brown Moses posted:

Christ alive, what a oval office.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I think it's safe to say that Assange went mad, perhaps because of his prospect of living in an embassy forever.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

evilweasel posted:

Those are confirmed, but it's also confirmed those are his body being dragged to the hospital.

Yeah. The pictures are out there if people really want to see him. People aren't dragging the poor guy around like Black Hawk Down; rather they are lifting him up and carrying him on their shoulders to try and save him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

HoveringCheesecake posted:

Yeah. The pictures are out there if people really want to see him. People aren't dragging the poor guy around like Black Hawk Down; rather they are lifting him up and carrying him on their shoulders to try and save him.

If someone could link those I'd appreciate it.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

international owl day posted:

I think its a hell of a coincidence for two consulates to be attacked simultaneously, and instantly the invisible finger of fate gets pointed at this anti-Muslim video, before we even have details as to who was hurt; this entire thing is incredibly fishy.

What are you trying to say, here?

There have been similar protests for other anti-Islamic media releases. The translation was only released a little while ago. The near-simultaneous protests at multiple US government facilities around the region doesn't mean there must be some big conspiracy. For an American example, a bunch of different movie theaters had to deal with near-simultaneous protests from conservative Christians when The Last Temptation of Christ came out, and there wasn't any grand conspiracy there.

The only major difference is that the protest in Libya happened to coincide with a planned attack by a militant group. It's certainly possible that the militants behind the attack decided to use current events to their advantage. But, that doesn't require the High Seers of the Illuminati to pull strings, either. All it needs is some guy in the group hearing about a protest that happens to coincide with their already-planned 9/11 anniversary attack.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

If someone could link those I'd appreciate it.

Wow. Foxnews.com put it on their front page. Incredibly poor taste.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
Not to derail, but are there any good, reliable articles out there about pro-American sentiment in Libya? I had a discussion with a friend about this recently and am not having any luck finding anything like this.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Happydayz posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/world/middleeast/us-envoy-to-libya-is-reported-killed.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0

Ughh
There are numerous conflicting reports - CNN said they were in a safe room for example. Approach every explanation with a pinch of skepticism.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Happydayz posted:

Of course they did, Fox News is all about the anti-Islam movement, every time they mention Muslims the word terrorist or extremist is not far behind.

Pieter Pan
May 16, 2004
Bad faith argument here:
-------------------------------->

Kaal posted:

I don't know how to put this delicately: That article also has the COD for Vilerat, which I haven't seen posted earlier.

Gosh I missed that. I didn't know the man, but learning more about the last moments of his life and realizing he was a father of two makes me really sad.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Happydayz posted:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/12/diplomat-killed-in-libya-to-fellow-gamers-assuming-dont-die-tonight/

Ugh. :(

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

‘It Makes Me Sick’: Actress in Muhammed Movie Says She Was Deceived, Had No Idea It Was About Islam
The story of the Muhammed movie which sparked deadly protests in Libya gets weirder. At least some of the actors who appeared in it had no idea they were starring in anti-Islam propaganda which depicts Muhammed as a child molester and thug. They were deceived by the film's director, believing they were appearing in a film about the life of a generic Egyptian 2,000 years ago.

Cindy Lee Garcia, an actress from Bakersfield, Calif., has a small role in the Muhammed movie as a woman whose young daughter is given to Muhammed to marry. But in a phone interview this afternoon, Garcia told us she had no idea she was participating in an offensive spoof on the life of Muhammed when she answered a casting call through an agency last summer and got the part.

The script she was given was titled simply Desert Warriors.

"It was going to be a film based on how things were 2,000 years ago," Garcia said. "It wasn't based on anything to do with religion, it was just on how things were run in Egypt. There wasn't anything about Muhammed or Muslims or anything."

In the script and during the shooting, nothing indicated the controversial nature of the final product. Muhammed wasn't even called Muhammed; he was "Master George," Garcia said. The words Muhammed were dubbed over in post-production, as were essentially all other offensive references to Islam and Muhammed.

For example, at 9:03 in the trailer, Garcia berates her husband, who wants to send their daughter to Muhammed: "Is your Muhammed a child molester?" she says in the final product. But the words are dubbed over what she actually said. The line in the script—and the line Garcia gave during filming—was, "is your God a child molester," Garcia told us today.

Garcia was horrified when she saw the end product, and when protesters in Libya killed four U.S. Embassy employee.

"I had nothing to do really with anything. Now we have people dead because of a movie I was in. It makes me sick."

According to Garica, her three days on set last July were unremarkable. The film's mysterious pseudonymous writer and director, "Sam Bacile," has claimed to be an Israeli real estate mogul. But Garcia said Bacile told her he was Egyptian on set. Bacile had white hair and spoke Arabic to a number of "dark-skinned" men who hung around the set, she said. (A Bacile associate also told The Atlantic he wasn't Israeli or Jewish.)

"He was just really mellow. He was just sitting there and he wanted certain points to be made."

Once, Garcia said, Bacile wanted a girl that "Master George" (aka Muhammed) was to sleep with to look seven years old, instead of 10, to heighten the outrage. But his Assistant Directors protested, saying that was too young.

After the protests erupted and Bacile appeared in the media, Garcia called him up to express her outrage at his deception.

"I called Sam and said, 'Why did you do this?' and he said, 'I'm tired of radical Islamists killing each other. Let other actors know it's not their fault.'"

Garcia isn't satisfied simply knowing it wasn't her fault.

"I'm going to sue his butt off."

Update: The entire 80-member cast and crew of the film have released a statement saying they were misled. Via CNN:

quote:

The entire cast and crew are extremely upset and feel taken advantage of by the producer. We are 100% not behind this film and were grossly misled about its intent and purpose. We are shocked by the drastic re-writes of the script and lies that were told to all involved. We are deeply saddened by the tragedies that have occurred.

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!
Wikileaks with yet another dumb tweet in the same gist.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/246004221768499204

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

HoveringCheesecake posted:

Also it's worth noting that they didn't even know he was a high ranking official at that point, just trying to help a hurt man. Don't suffer any of that islamaphobic rhetoric.

Silky Thighs
Aug 30, 2005

I am wondering what is the appropriate way to deal with people such as this? This is from two different people on what happened at the Libyan embassy yesterday.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

[/quote]

This story keeps getting stranger and stranger.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AllanGordon posted:

They were before they went out of their way to make everything they leaked be political.

Also rip vilerat.

Still have no idea what Romney is doing. First Paul Ryan and now this? Guess he's decided to just swing for the fences till November.

Link to what insane thing Romney's doing? Or do you mean his action of politicizing before his emotional response program activates?

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Fox News posted:

the foreign service information management officer who also was a moderator at the Internet community Something Awful, which is known for posting disturbing photos and videos.

Not sure it was necessary to throw that bit in, Fox.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
I've been all over the map today as far as emotional state, and It's still sinking in exactly what has happened and what it might mean. Either way, my condolences to Sean's family. RIP. :(

quote:

On Wednesday, as word spread throughout the guild, tributes poured in for the foreign service information management officer who also was a moderator at the Internet community Something Awful, which is known for posting disturbing photos and videos.

Somethingawful; the new stileproject. (Bah, beaten as always).

From the sound of it, though, there is a decent trail to track this director down by. He matches the description of the person posted earlier. Can the video be directly connected to those who led the attacks? Is there strong enough evidence of a link to warrant the government investigating the director?

stone soup fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 12, 2012

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Link to what insane thing Romney's doing? Or do you mean his action of politicizing before his emotional response program activates?

Also the photo with a smirk on his face as he leaves the press conference about the attack on the embassy (it was posted somewhere in this thread, don't have a link handy)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

KaneTW posted:

Also the photo with a smirk on his face as he leaves the press conference about the attack on the embassy (it was posted somewhere in this thread, don't have a link handy)

I do.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah pretty much that. Attacking before anything was really known and even then getting almost all of the facts wrong.

Just seems insane that his campaign didn't think this would hurt him in the short/long run.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

This story keeps getting stranger and stranger.

This really is taking a turn for the weird. I just hope we don't see violent reprisals against copts in Egypt.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Smashurbanipal posted:

Not sure it was necessary to throw that bit in, Fox.

Please do not judge us for the calibre of our general forum.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Never have I wanted to see a man become a modern-day Job so badly as I do right now.

Please tell me this picture's getting plastered everywhere, even though most of his supporters won't care.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
That description reads like a guy that was mentioned in one of the other threads... a Coptic Egyptian of some sort? Who apparently has a history of this sort of thing?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Silky Thighs posted:

I am wondering what is the appropriate way to deal with people such as this? This is from two different people on what happened at the Libyan embassy yesterday.

Point out that it was a pre-planned attack by a terrorist organization, the Libyan government is already cooperating with the US in efforts to track them down, and the Libyan people have already come out against the attackers. Post a picture or two of the pro-US solidarity demonstrations, point out that they're people as well (who would doubtlessly be hurt in a kneejerk war), and that this whole thing was started because of misinformed bloodlust.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Guys the fundamentalist pricks what did this were p. much solely to blame. That sort always finds an excuse.

We should remember as we mourn our loss, however, that pretty much everyone who dies in these films and photos that are linked are as much people as Vilerat. If we can use this to make ourselves more keenly aware of how utterly hosed up the whole situation in the region is, maybe that's a decent way of handling the death.

Siphan
Jul 2, 2007

To the Cheneymobile!

Silky Thighs posted:

Reactionaries and fascists who feel like suffering is deserving of more suffering have no place in a just world. they are the cause of injustice. The saddest part is that the people who are calling for war and revenge are reflections of the people who acted in violence from the offensive film to kill Americans. Not because the people in the embassy were the worst humans from America but because they were the closest and most direct representatives of the imperialist objectives of America in Libya.

You deal with them as they are, reactionaries and fascists have no place in mainstream discourse and unfortunately they yell loud as gently caress. So just let them know they are just as bad as the people who killed the Americans in Libya.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

We should remember as we mourn our loss, however, that pretty much everyone who dies in these films and photos that are linked are as much people as Vilerat. If we can use this to make ourselves more keenly aware of how utterly hosed up the whole situation in the region is, maybe that's a decent way of handling the death.

I hadn't really been following the Arab Spring, Libya and the like aside from listening to NPR once in a while, but I think that's a pretty stupid thing to have ignored for this length of time. Better awareness of what's going on in the world would be the best way things could work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Space Gopher posted:

Point out that it was a pre-planned attack by a terrorist organization, the Libyan government is already cooperating with the US in efforts to track them down, and the Libyan people have already come out against the attackers. Post a picture or two of the pro-US solidarity demonstrations, point out that they're people as well (who would doubtlessly be hurt in a kneejerk war), and that this whole thing was started because of misinformed bloodlust.

It's nice that the Libyan government has come out in support, and anyone who knows follows current events would not be surprised, but I have to say that I worry about their ability to actually reign in these extremist groups in the immediate future. The current government is still weak enough that a determined and armed minority can cause a lot of grief, even if it is a small minority.

• Locked thread