Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is there any item in the game that's a bigger pain in the rear end to get "legitimately" (not suicide-running)?

Avelyn. It's not so bad to get once you get the timing down, but it's worse than getting the Large Divine Ember in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How about a patch to make the interface stuff in the lower left hand corner smaller? That's been a complaint since the PS3/360 release.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Oh god I'd kill for the UI to be smaller. If it was as small as it was in Demon's Souls, I'd be a happy man.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Novasol posted:

What is it with us running into lawyers?

That's it, next chance I get I'm changing my gamertag to LawyerGoku69.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I was going to change mine to ButtLawyer69 (buttlawyer 420 was taken I think) but didn't feel like paying 10 bux, guess I don't get a free namechange

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
DarkLawyerSatin669

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Ronald Raiden posted:

I was going to change mine to ButtLawyer69 (buttlawyer 420 was taken I think) but didn't feel like paying 10 bux, guess I don't get a free namechange

The lack of free name changes for a free service is just weird. They just really wanted the whole cloud everything is connected bullshit despite games (the reason for the service to begin with) are not even cross-platform. :confused:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Selious posted:

Just got summoned for O&S as a full dragon sunbro, other white phantom was dragon, and host had dragon head. Almost made up for not noticing I was summoned earlier, suddenly the controller vibrated off the desk during the O&S cutscene and I ran for the killing blow.

Man, full dragon looks pretty awesome. If I ever do a 4th run I think I'll do a miracle dragon for highest irony.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Shima Honnou posted:

If Petrus is dead, she goes to the altar in the Parish, where the body with the Firekeeper soul is. If Petrus is still alive, you can possibly visit her, if you warp to Firelink/Parish first and visit her immediately. The trigger for killing her is if you transition twice away from Firelink or the Parish.

Generally, you want Petrus dead.

If you buy her inventory out, she'll leave the Parish and you might meet her later, let's just say that the location will become crystal clear to you if you haven't done every other lord yet.

Oh, Petrus is that guy with the miracles, right? He's still alive alone in the Firelink Shrine.

Well was, since I straight up murdered him after you told me to. I do everything the internet tells me to.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Here's a quick try at getting it less contrasty. This is based off the colors from the game itself, rather than recolored fully. This should make it a bit starker without hopefully losing anything else.

Unfortunately, looking at the original texture, the griminess of the bars and such isn't actually in the texture - it's caused by this odd .jpg-style artifacting that the game does to some of its textures.

Rename to e3e2582d.png.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
I haven't gotten any farther than getting the lordvessel but Petrus really strikes me as a total manbaby "I'm stuck in the friendzone :qq:" type guy. Maybe it's just because he looks like a fat idiot.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I just got a dark hand off one of the liches in the drained part of New Londo. Isn't that supposed to be a covenant item :psyduck:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

I just got a dark hand off one of the liches in the drained part of New Londo. Isn't that supposed to be a covenant item :psyduck:

And you killed covenant members for it. You monster.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Shima Honnou posted:

And you killed covenant members for it. You monster.

I haven't joined the covenant (yet)! I don't even know how to find the Abyss!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

It's where you fight the four kings.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Is DSFix supposed to lower framerate? I'd love to use these updated textures but my game will be disconnecting me from live at unwanted moments.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

Its a rare drop from them as well as a covenant reward. The armor and the red eye orb are the real rewards from the covenant though.

If you haven't found the Abyss yet make sure you can walk on it before you enter.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The truth of the matter is the only covenant-specific item is the complete Red Eye Orb. The rest of it you can use without being in the covenant.

Yes, that includes using lifedrain, I believe, although leveling in the Darkwraiths will increase the amount of humanity you can drain per use.

The worst submarine posted:

Is DSFix supposed to lower framerate? I'd love to use these updated textures but my game will be disconnecting me from live at unwanted moments.

The only thing I can really suggest is make sure that SSAO and SMAA are both off, make sure that DoF resolution and such are all default. Most people don't seem to have trouble with it if they don't turn the settings up too much.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The worst submarine posted:

It does for me, even when the fancy features are turned off and the res is set to the same as its native res. I'm still not using it, and I'm ok with that.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Is there any way to make Kaathe appear after you gave the Lordvessel to Frampt? If there isn't, I might go ahead and poke around in the savegames if nobody implemented a save editor that can edit plot flags.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

KaneTW posted:

Is there any way to make Kaathe appear after you gave the Lordvessel to Frampt? If there isn't, I might go ahead and poke around in the savegames if nobody implemented a save editor that can edit plot flags.

Nope. It's safest to just not speak to Frampt at all if you intend to get Kaathe to appear.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

KaneTW posted:

Nopers, at least no way that anyone knows. Doesn't he not even appear if the Lordvessel is already placed before going down to the Abyss?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

Nopers, at least no way that anyone knows. Doesn't he not even appear if the Lordvessel is already placed before going down to the Abyss?

He doesn't appear at all, no. You can still do the homeward bone trick to keep Frampton around though.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Alright, beat all the bosses on this run, and now it's time to slaughter all of the NPCs to prove my loyalty to Kaathe before unlinking the fire permanently. Two things I have learned this playthrough:

1) The lifehunt scythe is awesome.

2) The NPCs in the DLC drop really sweet looking armor.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Welp, guess I'll either have to become a Darkwraith in NG+ or mess around with savegames.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Brackhar posted:

Alright, beat all the bosses on this run, and now it's time to slaughter all of the NPCs to prove my loyalty to Kaathe before unlinking the fire permanently. Two things I have learned this playthrough:

1) The lifehunt scythe is awesome.

2) The NPCs in the DLC drop really sweet looking armor.

Murder every single one, including the smiths.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

Murder every single one, including the smiths.

Already ahead of you. Gough was surprisingly difficult so far.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nighty-night. :smith:

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Well I got the game running, although it seems that I need to fiddle around with my controller's settings in order for it to function properly every time I start getting game but oh well, having a good time and made it up to the gargoyle fight and I have a couple of questions.
1)pyromancy: I started as a pyromancer and I'm still using my starting fireball. It seems that I can't put her spell in multiple sources even though I have 3 spell slots I only get those 8 fireballs. Is this correct? Do new speakers come my way later in the game or should I be actively looking for someone in particular.
2.) Weapons: a black knight dropped a big sword that does like 200 damage in upgraded, but I'd need to pump like 16ish more points into strength to use it. Is it worth it or invest that heavily in strength or would I be gimping myself somehow later on? Right now I am using a +5 Halberd that I just made and it seems pretty nice. I'm level 17ish right now. Related, how often do I need to be repairing things? I've noticed people mentioning the repair kit as vital but I have yet to repair anything - does stuff start breaking more rapidly later or have I just not noticed my equipments performance degrading ? Is the inventory management box important as well?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DeceasedHorse posted:

1)pyromancy: I started as a pyromancer and I'm still using my starting fireball. It seems that I can't put her spell in multiple sources even though I have 3 spell slots I only get those 8 fireballs. Is this correct? Do new speakers come my way later in the game or should I be actively looking for someone in particular.

You can only attune one spell to one slot. If you have multiple copies of the same spell you could attune it more than once, but that isn't an option for you. Anyways you'll get more pyromancy once you rescue an npc in the depths, which doesn't come to long after the gargs. You'll find him stuck in a barrel, make sure to roll into it rather than attack it.

Just cleared catacombs with my aspiring darkwraith. Pinwheel is such a disappointing fight. I think he has a really good design but he's just pathetic. He didn't even damage me that time, and not becuase I was trying hard either. He just sucks so much.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 12, 2012

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

DeceasedHorse posted:

Well I got the game running, although it seems that I need to fiddle around with my controller's settings in order for it to function properly every time I start getting game but oh well, having a good time and made it up to the gargoyle fight and I have a couple of questions.
2.) Weapons: a black knight dropped a big sword that does like 200 damage in upgraded, but I'd need to pump like 16ish more points into strength to use it. Is it worth it or invest that heavily in strength or would I be gimping myself somehow later on? Right now I am using a +5 Halberd that I just made and it seems pretty nice. I'm level 17ish right now. Related, how often do I need to be repairing things? I've noticed people mentioning the repair kit as vital but I have yet to repair anything - does stuff start breaking more rapidly later or have I just not noticed my equipments performance degrading ? Is the inventory management box important as well?

1) You need multiple copies of the spell to equip it multiple times. You get a new pyromancy trainer in the sewers. Just make sure you roll at him. He doesn't like swords, even when you're just trying to be a helper.

2)Generally speaking, you should pick STR or DEX, keep one at the minimum needed to use the weapon you want to use, then gradually build the other to ~40. Just raise the one that your favorite weapon type scales better with.

As for the repair box, it's vital because you might otherwise find yourself trapped with broken equipment and no way to get to a blacksmith. It's not that likely really (there are only two points in the game when it's a real possibility, unless you go wandering places you shouldn't), but if you have the box it just won't happen at all. And the Bottomless box is just a timesaver, so you don't have to scroll through every single item you own looking for one of the two weapons you actually use.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 12, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Man, I just cannot get anyone summoned for Kalameet. Either there are no signs or every last sign fails. I'd fight him myself but I don't think a +5 lightning piercing shield is going to do the job.

Level 86, for reference.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

gibbed posted:

The hunt for cut content! :toot:

There's a model for a cut badass looking boss with golden armor who looks a bit crazy. His armor seems like it's darkwraithy so he's possibly the darkwraith boss mentioned in cut Ingward dialogue. Until I get my model viewer working I can't really show his model

The model files for the player obtainable version of the armor are still in the game, unfortunately not for the sword he wields.

The internal developer name for this boss is 不死王ジャ=イール, if anyone reads Japanese and is willing to translate (Google Translate nets "Ja = eel king immortality").

This is from a million years ago in forum time but I'm assuming the armor has neither an item description nor a stats page right?

The Sanctuary Guardian and Kalameet had unfinished models in the console release of Dark Souls, so maybe this dude will be added later, if FROM is into that I guess.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Remember you can twohand weapons if you don't meet strength requirements but I also wouldn't recommend it for a new player. Then again a BKS does boatloads of damage.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm in my last semester of Law School, should I change my GFWL tag to TransAsianMLPPostPanSexualLawyer or something in order to be fashionable?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

VisAbsoluta posted:

I'm in my last semester of Law School, should I change my GFWL tag to TransAsianMLPPostPanSexualLawyer or something in order to be fashionable?

I don't see anything in there about 420?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
And don't forget, this is technically Xbox Live, so it needs plenty of xs.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Anyone know a way to get Dusk's summon sign to appear? I said yes to her after saving her, but it didn't appear right away, so I quit and restarted and yet she still not appaering and her clothes are not near the DLC start.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Rirse posted:

Anyone know a way to get Dusk's summon sign to appear? I said yes to her after saving her, but it didn't appear right away, so I quit and restarted and yet she still not appaering and her clothes are not near the DLC start.

Are you looking in the right place? It's close where you found the knight set. The clothes only appear after a summon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
People in this thread: "Izalith blows!"
Past me: "It can't be that bad."
Present me: "Lost Izalith is loving atrocious!"

The area really is bland as hell, and there's no way I'm doing it without the shortcut ever again. What pisses me off, though, is the Bed of Chaos. I've got it down to the last core and I just can't seem to seal the deal. It's either the bullshit wooden hands, or the flame scythes, or the fact that you have make a silly jump in between of these things.

I'd probably get it eventually, but it's the trek that's insufferable. I'm rolling in Demonic Titanite simply because it's the least annoying way to the boss, and I'm not going all the way down to that bonfire in the middle of the lava lake.

Is there some kind of trick to getting past all those attacks and reaching the core or do I just have to get lucky?

• Locked thread