Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Gaddafi's military? Doubt it. Do keep in mind that there was a civil war with a whole lotta factions involved. Some of which were far more radical than others and have been effectively excluded from the new government.

You can doubt it all you want, but I'm not speculating on their goals or ideals here. Accurate, sustained mortar fire is not indicative of a local Arabian-style insurgency, so unless they were professional soldiers sent from elsewhere I'd bet a large amount of money that they received their training while Gaddafi was still in power.

edit: I re-read what I wrote, remnant was probably the wrong word. Former members is probably more what I was going for.

vacation in merica fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Nagato posted:

An Egyptian with a criminal record funds a crappy film through a shell company named "Pharaoh Voice, Inc.", overdubs it in postproduction so it is making fun of Muhammad, pretends to be an Israeli Jew and inserts gratuitous references to Judaism, premieres it in Hollywood at a show nobody comes to, lays quiet for some months, and mysteriously on September 11, the film trailer is shown on Egyptian television.

This conspiracy theory is 95% on the way to reality.

It was broadcast on Egyptian TV on the 8th or the 9th I believe. The segment was uploaded to YouTube on the 9th in any case.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Kaal posted:

Out those people as being terrible and then defriend them. Friend or family - there's nothing to gain from maintaining social ties with people like that.

Once I heard Rush Limbaugh advise a woman to cut off ties completely with her family because they would talk about politics at the dinner table and it made her uncomfortable because they were vaguely democratic leaning.

It's just as dumb and antisocial an idea when you suggest it :)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

vacation in merica posted:

You can doubt it all you want, but I'm not speculating on their goals or ideals here. Accurate, sustained mortar fire is not indicative of a local Arabian-style insurgency, so unless they were professional soldiers sent from elsewhere I'd bet a large amount of money that they received their training while Gaddafi was still in power.

edit: I re-read what I wrote, remnant was probably the wrong word. Former members is probably more what I was going for.

Not having much practice with mortars myself, couldn't it entirely possibly have just been one person who linked up with an extremist group?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Anatharon posted:

Not having much practice with mortars myself, couldn't it entirely possibly have just been one person who linked up with an extremist group?
No, you're talking at least 3 people here. Although given the recent insurgency, and the fact that mortars are a classic guerrilla weapon, it's likely that a lot of people in Libya have learned how to use mortars.

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

...and they all pretend they're orphans, and their memory's like a train

The Asian Oprah posted:

Once I heard Rush Limbaugh advise a woman to cut off ties completely with her family because they would talk about politics at the dinner table and it made her uncomfortable because they were vaguely democratic leaning.

Yes.
Everything is always in exact ballance and so are actions and effects.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

The Asian Oprah posted:

Plus it's way more annoying if you continually call them out on their bullshit.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

quote:

An Egyptian with a criminal record funds a crappy film through a shell company named "Pharaoh Voice, Inc.", overdubs it in postproduction so it is making fun of Muhammad, pretends to be an Israeli Jew and inserts gratuitous references to Judaism, premieres it in Hollywood at a show nobody comes to, lays quiet for some months, and mysteriously on September 11, the film trailer is shown on Egyptian television.

The guy seems to have tricked the actors, putt words in their mouths that they did not agree, this could be seen as putting them in danger, and at best violating a contract or something. This has got to be illegal

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!
They confirmed it.

Nakoula Basseley Nakoula identified as anti-Muslim filmmaker Sam Bacile
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/81158.html#ixzz26MXSxDkb

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

kylejack posted:

They confirmed it.

Nakoula Basseley Nakoula identified as anti-Muslim filmmaker Sam Bacile
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/81158.html#ixzz26MXSxDkb

What an rear end in a top hat, further reinforced by him trying to blame it on Jews

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't approve of this leak. The guy's a douche, for sure, but disclosing his identity like this has a strong chance of getting someone killed.

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!

Fangz posted:

I don't approve of this leak. The guy's a douche, for sure, but disclosing his identity like this has a strong chance of getting someone killed.
Leak? It is news reporting. 4 people are dead at least partially because of his movie. It's news.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Fangz posted:

Nakula/Bacile looks like he's going to enjoy a trip to Club Fed as his probation terms from his fraud indictment included not being allowed to use the internet. Probably how Politico got the info if the police were picking him up for breaching his probation.

So that's one way to protect yourself.

gently caress him, anyway. You reap what you sow.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fangz posted:

We already knew his "identity" except it was an alias. This is just connecting the disclosed name with the actual person. It's not like he's in the Witness Protection program or anything.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Fangz posted:

I don't think this champion of free speech would want "Someone might get killed." to stop freedom of expression.

Agro ver Haus doom
Jul 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fangz posted:

Are you serious? It's better for no one to know who this rear end in a top hat is. Just let him keep making videos.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The information would get out eventually - this being the age of information and all. At least AP could give them a heads-up and alert authorities who might have to protect him.

But it's a sticky situation, of course. I just think it's inevitable that he gets named in this day and age.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I don't think this champion of free speech would want "Someone might get killed." to stop freedom of expression.

He did it with the full intent of sparking riots and death. He defrauded other participants and did he best to place the blame on Israel and Jews and hoped to kick off a war. This is in no way a "free speech" issue. This is inciting to violence. He went into it fully aware of what it would spark, and pushed as much as possible to ensure it would indeed spark that violence.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

He did it with the full intent of sparking riots and death. He defrauded other participants and did he best to place the blame on Israel and Jews and hoped to kick off a war. This is in no way a "free speech" issue. This is inciting to violence. He went into it fully aware of what it would spark, and pushed as much as possible to ensure it would indeed spark that violence.

Not to mention: He was okay with misleading everyone else involved with the film, who had no chances to protect their own identities. And it doesn't really seem like he created his alias to protect himself, but more to mislead others.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

international owl day posted:

Wait; what? He's suggesting a guard spied on them right before they were attacked? If they have men on the inside of our counsolates, how many of them do you think might be infected?

How many do you think are on standby right now?

That sounds like he meant the Libyan police and not somebody employed by the US government. Police guards are often supplied by host governments. Some are very committed and some aren't, but they stand outside Embassy grounds so there's not much the embassy can do about it.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Would it be possible to try him for inciting to violence? Does the US have relevant laws? If not, then maybe in some international court?

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

meristem posted:

Would it be possible to try him for inciting to violence? Does the US have relevant laws? If not, then maybe in some international court?
It has to be a call to action, like a call to go kill people, and even then it can be considered protected speech under certain circumstances. Like, talking about overthrowing the government is considered a political opinion, even though it would involve killing people.

International court trying him? Not very likely.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

kylejack posted:

It has to be a call to action, like a call to go kill people, and even then it can be considered protected speech under certain circumstances. Like, talking about overthrowing the government is considered a political opinion, even though it would involve killing people.

On the other hand, a parole violation that results in 4 deaths and strains US diplomatic relations in a volatile region will probably not be dealt with lightly.

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

On the other hand, a parole violation that results in 4 deaths and strains US diplomatic relations in a volatile region will probably not be dealt with lightly.
Oh, he's still on parole? Yeah, they can definitely clip him on that.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Remember the craziness over Pisschrist?

Yes I do. So you want to keep people from dunking Mohammed in a pot of piss, but its ok to do it to an image of Christ, because Christians aren't as dangerous/impulsive as Muslims? Where do you draw the line? Is it ok or not to film poorly made trash talking movies about Mormons, Moonies, Scientologists, or followers of the Church of the SubGenius?

Seems like doublethink on both 'sides' to me. Well, most people tend to like the concept of free speech until someone says something they really disagree with, so I guess its really more of a human failing than a liberal/conservative thing.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Here's another feel-good thing to put alongside those pro-American demonstrators: a little interfaith solidarity.

Considering the guy behind the film, it's good that Egyptian Copts are making an effort to distinguish themselves from the less-reasonable element.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

kylejack posted:

Oh, he's still on parole? Yeah, they can definitely clip him on that.

I guess it's technically probation since it was part of the sentencing? But yeah.

time.com posted:

Nakoula, who talked guardedly about his role, pleaded no contest in 2010 to federal bank fraud charges in California and was ordered to pay more than $790,000 in restitution. He was also sentenced to 21 months in federal prison and ordered not to use computers or the Internet for five years without approval from his probation officer.

Read more: http://nation.time.com/2012/09/12/california-man-confirms-role-in-anti-islam-film/#ixzz26MmFulKh

Something tells me his probation officer didn't approve this.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby
http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/09/a-diplomat-in-the-real-and-virtual-world.html

Dunno if you guys saw it yet but Vile Rat is on The Dish now.

JustNorse
Feb 10, 2011

meristem posted:

There is only a very limited number of crimes under international law. Even in theory I think one would be hard pressed to find that a video (or a chain of them) inciting to violence would be even near enough. Add a dose of practice, and unless you are a State leader inciting genocide you are pretty much home free. Even if you are a State leader inciting a genocide you are in most cases safe from any form of prosecution.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Baddog posted:

Yes I do. So you want to keep people from dunking Mohammed in a pot of piss, but its ok to do it to an image of Christ, because Christians aren't as dangerous/impulsive as Muslims? Where do you draw the line? Is it ok or not to film poorly made trash talking movies about Mormons, Moonies, Scientologists, or followers of the Church of the SubGenius?

Seems like doublethink on both 'sides' to me. Well, most people tend to like the concept of free speech until someone says something they really disagree with, so I guess its really more of a human failing than a liberal/conservative thing.

I look at it this way:

We are still in a very volatile situation with the Middle East, and may be for some time. Now is not the time to create incredibly inflammatory videos about countries we are trying to get on our side. Does this mean not express your opinion? No, there are many other ways they could express their opinion that would not have been as nearly as inflammatory.

I'd treat it like a violent situation you are personally involved in. Can you say something that would upset your attacker more? Of course, freedom of speech! Might they get even more violent? Yep. So should you be careful what you say and when you say. Surely.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

HMDK posted:

Yes.
Everything is always in exact ballance and so are actions and effects.

What? What does a false narrative of equivalency have to do with how you probably shouldn't be ending relationships with your friends and relatives because they don't your ideologies don't perfectly align?

Learn to talk to people you disagree with, y'all.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It was the exact same thing that pissed me off about Romney's gambit. I don't know if I'd have been as angry, if I didn't know Vilerat, but the level opportunism is the most disgusting thing I can recall ever seeing in politics.

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

...and they all pretend they're orphans, and their memory's like a train

The Asian Oprah posted:

What? What does a false narrative of equivalency have to do with how you probably shouldn't be ending relationships with your friends and relatives because they don't your ideologies don't perfectly align?

Well, yeah, but that didn't really seem to be your point.
Sorry. But I'd also suggest that no one should ever fight for a family already split.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

BootStrap posted:

I have to wonder though, what could a consulate in Libya have that is so important to protect? Almost assuredly they have already switched codes and ciphers as they may have been compromised.

Hypothetically: It could have contained information that would identify all the American safe houses in the area. Not to mention documents that would compromise US agents and officials working throughout the region. You may remember the security concerns raised when Wikileaks released their trove of State department memos - and those were significantly out of date. Or as has been suggested, it could have contained covert intelligence files. In any case, destroying those documents and protecting American lives and state secrets would have been the priority of both Smith (as IT officer) and Stephens (as ambassador).

The Asian Oprah posted:

Once I heard Rush Limbaugh advise a woman to cut off ties completely with her family because they would talk about politics at the dinner table and it made her uncomfortable because they were vaguely democratic leaning. It's just as dumb and antisocial an idea when you suggest it :)

I'm not suggesting cutting off ties with someone for talking about politics at the dinner table; I'm saying that anyone who immediately turns the deaths of four Americans (including one whom I've known for years) into bullshit Facebook sloganeering is not someone that I'd want to have any contact with. So put away your equivalency crap.

edit: Including a drat FYAD troll like you. Good grief man. /ignored

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 13, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

The Asian Oprah posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing the irony of anti-war/pro-diplomacy leftists advocating severing communications over ideological differences. An engagement strategy to be emulated.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 13, 2012

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

CommieGIR posted:

I look at it this way:

We are still in a very volatile situation with the Middle East, and may be for some time. Now is not the time to create incredibly inflammatory videos about countries we are trying to get on our side. Does this mean not express your opinion? No, there are many other ways they could express their opinion that would not have been as nearly as inflammatory.

I'd treat it like a violent situation you are personally involved in. Can you say something that would upset your attacker more? Of course, freedom of speech! Might they get even more violent? Yep. So should you be careful what you say and when you say. Surely.

This was brought up earlier in the thread--folks need to keep in mind that this isn't just a freedom of speech issue that's existing in a vacuum. Here, this guy said it well:

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Trying to discuss this issue as one of pure speech and provocation, assuming that all the people involved are equally powerful and on a level playing field (a political theory version of a "white room fight" maybe) is pretty blinkered. The fact is that whatever proximate cause the violence had, the ultimate cause of this attack has to do with imperialism. Trying to have a discussion of the speech and reaction to it without taking into account the context of "our" frequent military misadventures (our own laughable xhosa girls) and constant attempts to dominate the region has produced a goofy and pointless discussion.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Asian Oprah posted:

This was brought up earlier in the thread--folks need to keep in mind that this isn't just a freedom of speech issue that's existing in a vacuum. Here, this guy said it well:

That makes sense, thank you for re-posting.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

kylejack posted:

Welp, Fighting Words fits in pretty much perfectly.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Some pictures from an anti-terrorism protest in Tripoli: http://naziha10.tumblr.com/post/31457278125/rip-chris-stevens-protest-to-condemn-the-violent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The Time article is really showing how hosed up things are.

quote:

The Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate groups, said Klein is a former Marine and longtime religious-right activist who has helped train paramilitary militias at a California church. It described Klein as founder of Courageous Christians United, which conducts protests outside abortion clinics, Mormon temples and mosques.

It quoted Klein as saying he believes that California is riddled with Muslim Brotherhood sleeper cells “who are awaiting the trigger date and will begin randomly killing as many of us as they can.”

Read more: http://nation.time.com/2012/09/12/california-man-confirms-role-in-anti-islam-film/#ixzz26MsPzGWt
It's like somebody turned over a rock and assholes from all around the world are boiling out from under it.I didn't think that we'd have right wing militias in California.

The detective work being done to uncover the people who made the movie is really fascinating, but it would also be terrible if those people are killed by extremists and become martyrs for their own terrible causes.

• Locked thread