Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So essentially a version of tactical cloak that encourages the use of weapons that already frontload their damage into single shots like claymores and widows? If you took the "double shot" evolution would that make these weapons suddenly have an extra shot in the mag or would it simply last through a reload?

It would last through the reload (hence the duration bonus).

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'd have it only apply to headshots, to shift the emphasis toward sniper rifles. They're kinda languishing on higher difficulties and it would be nice to see them back.

It's a nice idea, but I didn't want to lock players into one playstyle, and plus the extra headshot damage wouldn't be worth poo poo against bosses. Perhaps one evolution could grant extra headshot damage?

BrokenKnees posted:

To be honest I'd love to see a power that actually let you control enemies for a short bit. Leaving your character vulnerable and force your teammates to decide weather to focus on an objective/mass of enemies or protect you while you control an Atlas/Brute/Prime and wreck poo poo.

I know this is a huge pipe-dream but I still think it'd be cool as hell.

Sadly, I think Sabotage and Dominate are the closest we're gonna get. Still pretty cool, but not as cool as Left-4-Dead style enemy control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Forget enemy control, make bigger maps with some vehicles in it.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

SciFiDownBeat posted:

It would last through the reload (hence the duration bonus).

It's a nice idea, but I didn't want to lock players into one playstyle, and plus the extra headshot damage wouldn't be worth poo poo against bosses. Perhaps one evolution could grant extra headshot damage?

Sadly, I think Sabotage and Dominate are the closest we're gonna get. Still pretty cool, but not as cool as Left-4-Dead style enemy control.

It would really need to be applicable to all damage, not just headshots. Otherwise it would be entirely useless against bosses (what I'm presuming are the ideal assassination targets). I think it would have to have some sort of shield gate effect as well; the reason single shot snipers are so rare on higher difficulties is precisely because the whole point of using them is ruined by gating. It's not as bad now that gold has had the gate reduced from 100% but it's something to consider. Adding more damage for the shield to block doesn't solve the problem.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I've gotten into a pretty good rhythm with the Batarian Soldier using the Kishock. At first I started carrying it just to fit the theme, but I've started noticing how well it syncs up with the rest of the character. The Graal could work too, but I find the Kishock's power paired with the reload cancels works pretty great.

50 Shades of Spray or A Guide to the Batarian Soldier/BDSM Lifestyle

Build

Batarian?
You may be asking, "Master, why would you want to use a race without a dodge or a charging melee for close-quarters combat?" Now, I could explain to you with a very thought out and reasoned defense of the Batarian people, but let's just keep it short: I'm a sadist, and I wish to share my pain with others. The Batarian has several features which I feel are not represented well by other species:
  • Spikes
  • Restraints
  • Spikes
Now, while you're being a petulant little worm about sharp objects (seriously, a little blood never hurt anyone) the Batarian proudly straps on his spikes and doles out sensual bear-hugs that eviscerate any who attempt to return his affections. The Soldier is the ideal class for this, because unlike the Sentinel, he can also bring the spikes to you in more ways than one. What's more, he's not prone to hiding behind crates, corners, or couches when company comes over. The Batarian Soldier proudly jogs about the map amidst a fine mist of his best friends.

Play
It's quite simple, worm:

Sprint towards the enemy houseguests with your Kishock charged
Harpoon
Reload cancel by Ballistic Blading
Extol further the virtues of harpoons (shoot them again)
Dole out a delectable, heavy-melee knuckle sandwich!

Your guests will be so excited they'll collapse into gibs, leap with harpoon-propelled joy, or simply lose their heads! And here's the wonderful thing about that Charging Anime Fist of yours: it gives you more damage reduction while you use it on top of what your blade armor already provides! And while it takes awhile, this is actually one of its upsides, as your Ballistic Blades will be ready just in time for more fun or a prompt exit via delightful choreographed dance numbers courtesy of your grateful guests.

Let's say your guests bring over a very large friend. Here you can make a quick change: instead of a heavy melee, reload-cancel with an incendiary grenade and start from the top. Your Master has graciously provided you with two grenades, which is usually sufficient, but you can always use gear to further increase that number like the whore you are.

Edit: It should be noted that none of your attacks will be hitscan, so hosting might be preferable if you encounter lag regularly.

Toys
The Kishock Harpoon allows you to fire-and-forget once you get a good handle of its bleed effect, and lets you continually deal damage even when quivering in your own sick. Feel free to hip-shot with reckless abandon, as it receives no damage penalty for doing so. Its innate armor piercing lets you deal with Guardians without fiddling about with the mailslot (though pegging one in the eye is quite satisfying) and put some hurt on armor. And might I mention it also ignores the shield gate? You should be running a Barrel Extender with an Enhanced Scope. You will never run out of ammo, and the Piercing Mod actually reduces your damage for some unknown reason. It's probably your fault.

Your Ballistic Blades are going to be your crowd control. The range and cone upgrades let you share your pain with quite a few others at the same time, which will give you time to get more closely acquainted or make a quick exit. Explosive Blades also turns your friends into walking bombs, putting an abrupt end to your correspondence. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe these explosions do splash damage, and your sleeping friends serve as makeshift timed mines.

Blade Armor should always be on. While it does make your Ballistic Blades a tad bit slower, you're able to keep yourself mighty comfortable in the midst of the party with your heightened damage reduction. Since most of your friends will be busy dancing around while you get close, they will no doubt attempt to high-five you once they compose themselves, allowing your spikes to make their presence known. Your heavy melees will help mitigate the damage from this, and lock one of your nearby friends into close range with you.

Your safeword will be Inferno Grenades. In addition to helping you juggle harpoons and blades, it also allows you to establish boundaries when things get a little too intense. Three ranks allows you some basic utility and a bit more damage to armor, but they aren't your focus.

As stated above, upgrading your grenade count allows you to chain more reload cancels together, making larger acquaintences slightly easier to deal with. I personally think Stronghold Gear is wonderful, as it allows you an extra kick in your sandwich while giving you staying power. Consumables are up to you, but the Sniper Rail enhancements reduce the harpoon's travel time, giving you some training wheels if you're having trouble delivering your love letters to your penpals across the stage.

Tactics
I've always told you to learn when to show yourself like a good little bitch. Here it's no different. Try to keep your social interaction between middle and short range; while your Kishock allows you some reach, none of your other advantages work at range. Stay close, but be aware of pillars and other cover that you can stand behind, not grovel. This is your escape route for when things get hairy. Try to close the gap by either running among cover or lavishing your admirers with your own brand of acupuncture. Once you're close, your Blade Armor and Ballistic Blades will be doing quite a bit of talking, so watch your health and be mindful of who is around you: while Brutes can easily tucker themselves out on your armor, they might take you along, as well.

Conclusion
Lick my feet, you sissy, we're done here.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 15, 2012

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Joined a Platinum lobby earlier, and then a level 1, literally a level 1, meaning that they JUST started playing, joined too. Really, new guy? You don't want to test the waters with Bronze first? You just jump right in to the hardest difficulty of the game?

Some people are just ballsy as gently caress when they have no idea whats going on, man.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Nah, in their usual wisdom Bioware has set the default filter to any/any/any, which makes new players who don't pay any attention show up in non-bronze games from time to time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Since the desire sensor is getting a bit ridiculous with this N7 Shadow business (there are now literally only two classes I do not have and that is one of them) I made a hilarious pseudo version of it involving a Female Quarian Infiltrator specced for damage where I cloak, manually run behind enemies, and heavy melee them. If anything survives I shoot it a lot with an omniblade Revenant.

Results untested on gold. But just going back to silver and bronze with this is the most fun I've had with the game in a while.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
I am in love with Paladin. The shield is useful as hell if you can get aggro, and is a pretty powerful melee attack, especially considering the status effect applied by it. Snap freeze is great, and Energy Drain is just icing on the cake.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Vietnamwees posted:

Joined a Platinum lobby earlier, and then a level 1, literally a level 1, meaning that they JUST started playing, joined too. Really, new guy? You don't want to test the waters with Bronze first? You just jump right in to the hardest difficulty of the game?

Some people are just ballsy as gently caress when they have no idea whats going on, man.

One time I put the filter to Bronze and for some reason it dropped me into a Gold game in progress. A real one, not a farming one. I had a level 1 Kroguard.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oh god, I know that feeling. Fury was the only N7 class I was excited about pre Earth's release. I started running AJA and warp bubble/reaving everything in anticipation.

After a while, AJA became my main class. Still no fury though. I'll get you, RNG! :argh:

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Since the desire sensor is getting a bit ridiculous with this N7 Shadow business (there are now literally only two classes I do not have and that is one of them) I made a hilarious pseudo version of it involving a Female Quarian Infiltrator specced for damage where I cloak, manually run behind enemies, and heavy melee them. If anything survives I shoot it a lot with an omniblade Revenant.

Results untested on gold. But just going back to silver and bronze with this is the most fun I've had with the game in a while.

Melee Infiltrators, while definitely not "optimal," can be pretty danged effective. I most commonly spec my Male Quarian Infiltrator for melee, just because I can't shoot things without a power to stagger first. You just have to be careful because enemy detection gets better when you're close (they detect "noise levels," apparently). Because melee bypasses the shield gate, though, with a dedicated enough setup you can get to one-hitting Centurion-level enemies, or at least get them down to enough health you can finish them off with a light melee. Equip a pistol with a melee stunner and name the character James Bond, taking out enemies from behind, reporting their locations to your teammates, and disrupting their shields with grenades so your team can quickly eliminate them.

Also, I keep wanting to say "Turian Sentinel rocks with [semi-auto weapon I currently enjoy]." But it also rocks with fully auto weapons because of stability bonuses and Warp's armor weakening. Basically, use TSent with everything. There is a certain beauty with the semi-autos, though, just because it feels like you're alternating between three semi-auto weapons in form of Overload/Warp/gun. My current TSent is at 6/6/6/4/4 (very original), with TA and the racial passive optimized for weapon weight. I'm flopping around between Claymore, Saber, and Crusader, and I'm either Overloading shielded enemies and quickly finishing them off, or Warping big things and actually watching their armor go down with every shot. Really encourages using cover, since you're just sending out huge bursts of damage every couple seconds as you cool down/reload.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
^ I've been rocking the Turian Sentinel whenever I can and loving it. I'm decent with the Indra and it keeps cooldowns low to spam powers.

Re: naming discussion, just realized last night that you can actually change the character's name on the appearance screen. :doh: It is utterly pointless.

e:
VVVV yeah I thought once you chose a name it was set in stone.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 14, 2012

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Naming your character is basically the same exact thing as naming your SP character, since there's no way for anybody to see that either, and all the dialogue in the game just refers to your character as "Shepard." It's just one of those things for your own personal amusement I guess.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

TheDK posted:

Re: naming discussion, just realized last night that you can actually change the character's name on the appearance screen. :doh: It is utterly pointless.
It's not just that you can, but you actually have to. What do you mean you just now noticed? :confused:

vv OK, I see what you mean.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 14, 2012

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I imagine he thought that once it was named that was it.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Wow, so after ten PSPs in a row that were all consumables (gently caress you, level 4 ammo mods!), I finally get an ultra-rare...and it's an upgrade for the Particle Rifle.

On the upside, Indra on Salarian Infiltrator made for a very fun round of Dagger/Cerberus/Gold.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

MrDude posted:

Melee Infiltrators, while definitely not "optimal," can be pretty danged effective. I most commonly spec my Male Quarian Infiltrator for melee, just because I can't shoot things without a power to stagger first. You just have to be careful because enemy detection gets better when you're close (they detect "noise levels," apparently). Because melee bypasses the shield gate, though, with a dedicated enough setup you can get to one-hitting Centurion-level enemies, or at least get them down to enough health you can finish them off with a light melee. Equip a pistol with a melee stunner and name the character James Bond, taking out enemies from behind, reporting their locations to your teammates, and disrupting their shields with grenades so your team can quickly eliminate them.

Also, I keep wanting to say "Turian Sentinel rocks with [semi-auto weapon I currently enjoy]." But it also rocks with fully auto weapons because of stability bonuses and Warp's armor weakening. Basically, use TSent with everything. There is a certain beauty with the semi-autos, though, just because it feels like you're alternating between three semi-auto weapons in form of Overload/Warp/gun. My current TSent is at 6/6/6/4/4 (very original), with TA and the racial passive optimized for weapon weight. I'm flopping around between Claymore, Saber, and Crusader, and I'm either Overloading shielded enemies and quickly finishing them off, or Warping big things and actually watching their armor go down with every shot. Really encourages using cover, since you're just sending out huge bursts of damage every couple seconds as you cool down/reload.

What are your builds for the QMI and the Turian Sentinel? The former sounds particularly interesting...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

1st AD posted:

One time I put the filter to Bronze and for some reason it dropped me into a Gold game in progress. A real one, not a farming one. I had a level 1 Kroguard.

This definitely happens with the filter set to bronze, I've just been getting started with the game and I've both been sent into silver games in progress about three times now and sent into a lobby that was set to bronze and when it filled up the game owner changed it to plat and we readied without paying attention and wiped on the first wave.

It's nice though, I was a level 6 Turian Sent in one of those silver games and ended up having the second highest score and getting a "GG" message on Live from the guy with the highest score. It feels good to do well!!!

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Gatac posted:

Wow, so after ten PSPs in a row that were all consumables (gently caress you, level 4 ammo mods!), I finally get an ultra-rare...and it's an upgrade for the Particle Rifle.

Weird, I bought 14 PSP's today and got the same thing.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Gatac posted:

Once you get the hang of the multiplier effect the Particle Rifle is awesome. Stick it on something that can stand to be out of cover for a while and go crazy.

Kraven Moorhead posted:

Batarian Soldier

Personally I like to take a powerful shotgun (Piranha, Reegar, Graal) on the Soldier, and use the Kishock on the Sentinel. Sub Net makes headshots much easier and with rails and ammo you can one shot Hunters on Platinum.

Anyway, extra tip for BatSol: Put on Adrenaline Module III. So much fun.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
The particle rifle is very good with incendiary ammo because the damage over time effect stacks. This is the same for all fast firing weapons.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

:words: in response to me.

Fair enough.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I've gotten into a pretty good rhythm with the Batarian Soldier using the Kishock.

Gonna have to try this. Normally I run with pretty much the same build but with shield recharge on blade armor and a claymore. Thats starting to get a bit stale and I have the kishock at X and never use it.

I'm going away for ten days as of tomorrow. Hopefully when I get back a new DLC will have been announced including new characters, a new enemy faction, a new game mode and huge bug-fixing patch and this thread will be rife with discussion about it.

:shepface:

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Lagomorphic posted:

Weird, I bought 14 PSP's today and got the same thing.

:shepface:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Pumpking posted:

The particle rifle is very good with incendiary ammo because the damage over time effect stacks. This is the same for all fast firing weapons.

Yeah I run it on my Destroyer paired with the Reeger. It's not a terrible gun but it's still hard to get too excited about getting it after dumping over a million credits.

I'm really hoping for some DLC soon because buying PSP's is getting depressing.

^^ Edit: Yeah that's what the other 13 packs looked like.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Hey at least you didn't get all Cryo ammo.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I finally got one of those mythical two ultra rare packs and got a Wraith and Indra. You guys weren't kidding; the Indra is really just a nasty long range assault rifle. The Wraith isn't too shabby either, but taking both out on a Human Soldier cleaned up silver like it was bronze.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I finally got one of those mythical two ultra rare packs and got a Wraith and Indra. You guys weren't kidding; the Indra is really just a nasty long range assault rifle. The Wraith isn't too shabby either, but taking both out on a Human Soldier cleaned up silver like it was bronze.

I got a 2x ultra-rare spectre the other day. It was Javelin and Wraith :suicide:. Still missing Talon, Indra, Hurricane, Typhoon and Black Widow, I am not going to be able to roll around with ULM Talon/ULM Hurricane, ever (still don't have pistol ULM either!) I have a Striker X though! :downs:

The Wraith isn't bad, it's just that the GPS, Piranha, and Claymore are pretty much better in every way. I do like it more than the Claymore, but mostly because I blow at reload cancelling and often need a followup shot. But that's why I use the Piranha. Conceptually, I like the Indra, but I've never used it.

It seems like the only difference DPS wise between the Indra and Eagle is the eagle fires 6.7 rounds per second while the Indra fires 8.3. I feel like the eagle is just another tiny buff away from being a really good weapon. Maybe bring it's damage up to like 90-115, so it maintains it's distinctive slower fire rate while bringing it's DPS in line with other rare and ultra rare pistols.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Blue Caboose posted:

I got a 2x ultra-rare spectre the other day. It was Javelin and Wraith :suicide:.
I run around with a Javelin on my Geth Infiltrator. After the change to shield gating it's effective enough, and headshotting people hiding in cover in the next room never gets old. It's not optimal, but it's fun and different.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just soloed bronze with my Batsol. A storm of blades and punching. This is the most fun I've had with the game in a while.

The Graal seems like a really good fit for him.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Two Finger posted:

Just soloed bronze with my Batsol. A storm of blades and punching. This is the most fun I've had with the game in a while.

It just works. Both thematically and gameplay-wise, even more so than the Kishock.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Two Finger posted:

drat straight. Both thematically (MOAR SPIKES) and from the perspective of "hmm, I really ought to have a shotgun, but I also need something for range". And, I find, with respect to reload cancelling timing with Ballistic Blades. Good luck sniping people in the face if you're not hosting, though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Hey Elotana I'm throwin' down the gauntlet of ME3 videos with questionable music choices
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oh-e4WqStI

:colbert:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I see you got the QMI and Destroyer fresh in there. Have fun!

Boy, noticing the shimmer thing has paid off early.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Psion posted:

Hey Elotana I'm throwin' down the gauntlet of ME3 videos with questionable music choices
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oh-e4WqStI

:colbert:

Hey what the hell why didn't I get a Victory Pack

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Hey what the hell why didn't I get a Victory Pack

Noone did, that was probably from the last one.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Felinoid posted:

Noone did, that was probably from the last one.

It was, yes.

The DIRECTOR'S CUT (don't watch it) has everything from the last op until the Vigilance pack went out the other day.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Is anyone else having huge connection issues right now? I've been trying to get onto the EA servers for the last 40 minutes with no luck. I just want to pick up my commendation pack. :(

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I run around with a Javelin on my Geth Infiltrator. After the change to shield gating it's effective enough, and headshotting people hiding in cover in the next room never gets old. It's not optimal, but it's fun and different.

Personally I like it on the Quarian Male. Tac scan for bosses, and Arc grenades. Phantoms become trivial. Cloak, throw grenade, headshot while they are in their stupid power immunity pose.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Dominating Platinum with the Drell Adept :hellyeah:

Ok, so it was Glacier farming with a Demolisher on the team. It still counts. :colbert: So many cluster grenades

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The best counter to Phantoms is a Batarian Sentinel with a fast cooldown period.

Sub-Net makes even groups of Phantoms trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Is anyone else having huge connection issues right now? I've been trying to get onto the EA servers for the last 40 minutes with no luck. I just want to pick up my commendation pack. :(

I'm getting "Mass Effect 3 server unavailable" messages now. Also got kicked out of a game halfway through. :argh:

• Locked thread