Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

ack posted:

Tollymain - $60
SageNytell - $30
Dominion - $20
GrandpaPants - $20
animaCartographer - $50
Kenderama - $30
TG-Chrono - $20
Red_Mage - $10
ack - $50

Current total: $290 / $400 needed.

Bump me to $30, and if you need someone to chaperone this, I can take it for you if you want, or at least assist since it's a boring day at work. :)

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I can throw in $10 too.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

ack posted:

Tollymain - $60
ack - $50
animaCartographer - $50
Kenderama - $30
SageNytell - $30
Dominion - $20
GrandpaPants - $20
TG-Chrono - $20
Red_Mage - $10
Evil Mastermind - $10

Current total: $300 / $400 needed.

Goons are amazing. Keep the love going!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok put me in for ten dollars. It's like a baby subkickstarter.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
To escape the shover golem you have to eat the eggs.

Don't actually add that.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
One Unique Thing is meant to add a compelling dimension to characters, and they aren't mutually exclusive to "gritty."

Saving Private Ryan and Full Metal Jacket are both gritty, right? They both show the faceless, dehumanizing horror of war, the cheapness of life in battle, lots of dirt and desaturated photography. But they're also filled with compelling characters unique in their world.

You can turn to relationships, heritage, passed-down relics, exceptional learned skills, etc all before super powers or "literally a dragon."

Alternatively, if "last daughter of the rightful heir to the Empire" or "has a bow destined to kill a god" still aren't poo poo farmer enough, hack your One Unique Thing to be two sentences that represent the character's moral code.

Even boring simple stuff like "Never back down from a fight. Never leave a friend to die." gives the gm lots of hooks like fights that require you to leave your friends, or friends that want to fight you.

(you should do this anyway in place of the 9 point alignment)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's like I'm chipping in $15, I suppose.

Also I would suggest each contributor get to contribute one idea, with priority going to the higher bidders.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 234 days!

fosborb posted:

Even boring simple stuff like "Never back down from a fight. Never leave a friend to die."

Cool Hand Luke is a great example if how to do this. "Incapable of compromise" would be an interesting defining trait.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

ack posted:

Tollymain - $60
ack - $50
animaCartographer - $50
Mustache Ride - $50
Kenderama - $30
SageNytell - $30
Dominion - $20
GrandpaPants - $20
TG-Chrono - $20
Alien Rope Burn - $15
Moths - $10
Red_Mage - $10
Evil Mastermind - $10

Current total: $375 / $400 needed.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Also I would suggest each contributor get to contribute one idea, with priority going to the higher bidders.

What I would think we could do is set up a Google doc where everyone can contribute. Then once we have enough ideas we cut based on bid level.

Example: If I wanted Sparkly Vampires and ack wanted an Old Man talking to an Empty Chair but we only have room for one NPC - I'd have to have my idea redacted. (Nevermind that it sucks, I didn't bid enough :))

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 14, 2012

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Honestly, all I want is for the living dungeon to be the 13th Age equivalent of the Tarrasque; a huge, immortal monstrosity whose origins are lost in time, roaming in the world devouring monsters and settlements to repopulate itself as adventures crawl around inside it, killing its inhabitants.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Kenderama posted:

What I would think we could do is set up a Google doc where everyone can contribute. Then once we have enough ideas we cut based on bid level.

Example: If I wanted Sparkly Vampires and ack wanted an Old Man talking to an Empty Chair but we only have room for one NPC - I'd have to have my idea redacted. (Nevermind that it sucks, I didn't bid enough :))

I was going to put $75 in to this, but if its already so well funded I'll just do $50 and let others join too.

I'm not sure how we should split the Dungeon up, but again it is only a Dungeon pitch, so I doubt we'd get that much detail in to it, but what do I know, right?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

ack posted:

Tollymain - $60
ack - $50
animaCartographer - $50
Mustache Ride - $50
Kenderama - $30
SageNytell - $30
Dominion - $20
GrandpaPants - $20
TG-Chrono - $20
Alien Rope Burn - $15
Moths - $10
Red_Mage - $10
Evil Mastermind - $10

Current total: $375 / $400 needed.

Mustache Ride posted:

I was going to put $75 in to this, but if its already so well funded I'll just do $50 and let others join too.

I'm not sure how we should split the Dungeon up, but again it is only a Dungeon pitch, so I doubt we'd get that much detail in to it, but what do I know, right?

It'll depend on how they spec it out for the Kickstarter.

Someone wanna kick in the last $25 and we can start working on how to fund this puppy? :)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I can do the last $25.

And I'd even be willing to not pitch a single idea... if I can veto stairs, meat shoes, or any other stupid loving internet or SA in joke.

edit: any references in the pitch to "goons ruin everything" will prove the point.

fosborb fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 14, 2012

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Honestly, all I want is for the living dungeon to be the 13th Age equivalent of the Tarrasque; a huge, immortal monstrosity whose origins are lost in time, roaming in the world devouring monsters and settlements to repopulate itself as adventures crawl around inside it, killing its inhabitants.

So a dungeon Koru Behemoth?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

fosborb posted:

I can do the last $25.

And I'd even be willing to not pitch a single idea... if I can veto stairs, meat shoes, or any other stupid loving internet or SA in joke.

quote:

Tollymain - $60
ack - $50
animaCartographer - $50
Mustache Ride - $50
Kenderama - $30
SageNytell - $30
fosborb - $25
Dominion - $20
GrandpaPants - $20
TG-Chrono - $20
Alien Rope Burn - $15
Moths - $10
Red_Mage - $10
Evil Mastermind - $10

Simon Rogers posted:

I'll throw $100 into your Awful Dungeon reward pot if you raise the other $400.

Current total: $400 / $400 needed.

There's a winner!

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 14, 2012

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Swagger Dagger posted:

So a dungeon Koru Behemoth?
Huh, I didn't know those were a Thing.

But yes.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Tollymain posted:

That's a background, not an OUT. Unless your character was the only survivor of the war, in which case something the gently caress is up :stare:

The only LIVING survivor. The Lich King's army swells further.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Ok, yeah, I'll give $15 to this. You can blame the Obsidian Kickstarter for me not giving more.

Simon Rogers
May 16, 2012

Kenderama posted:

Current total: $400 / $400 needed.

There's a winner!
[/quote]

Excellent. Give me a paypal address and I'll pay over the greens.

I'll well up for an underground behemoth, either a rogue or an alternative underground migrating sub-species.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Check first before doing this sort of thing, note SA assumes no responsibility for any of that money and if whoever you send your cash to uses it to buy weed thou shalt not report it.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

quote:

Tollymain - $60
ack - $50
animaCartographer - $50
Mustache Ride - $50
Kenderama - $30
SageNytell - $30
fosborb - $25
Dominion - $20
GrandpaPants - $20
TG-Chrono - $20
Alien Rope Burn - $15
Overemotional Robot - $15
Moths - $10
Red_Mage - $10
Evil Mastermind - $10

Simon Rogers posted:

I'll throw $100 into your Awful Dungeon reward pot if you raise the other $400.

Current total: $415 / $400 needed.

Anyone else want to ease Simon's donational pain? :)

Winson_Paine posted:

Check first before doing this sort of thing, note SA assumes no responsibility for any of that money and if whoever you send your cash to uses it to buy weed thou shalt not report it.

Maybe we could get Simon or Wade to be the recipient of our fundage in case anyone's worried about a slash and grab.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Yeah, I would really like somebody reputable to do this. Ain't sending no random goon money.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Simon Rogers posted:

There's a winner!

Actually would you be willing to Curate this Simon? I figure that way if you run off with all the precious goon dollars and buy Real Dolls or something, it will impact Pelgrane.

edit: If Simon isn't willing to, I'll do it. Enough of you know my real name and my kid that there's some collateral there.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Red_Mage posted:

buy Real Dolls or something, it will impact Pelgrane.

So many Bad Dragon purchases...

Edit: Also if a Simon or Wade do this I will bump up to $25. Will also accept Red Mage.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 14, 2012

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I will gladly help organize if folks want as well - but I'd rather not be responsible for the cash anyways. ;-)

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Kenderama posted:

Maybe we could get Simon or Wade to be the recipient of our fundage in case anyone's worried about a slash and grab.

Do it how you like, I am saying that SA as an organization does not endorse this so you are ON YOUR OWN. I am sure on the personal level all y'all are fine, upstanding goons.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Red_Mage posted:

Actually would you be willing to Curate this Simon? I figure that way if you run off with all the precious goon dollars and buy Real Dolls or something, it will impact Pelgrane.

edit: If Simon isn't willing to, I'll do it. Enough of you know my real name and my kid that there's some collateral there.

Actually, is Simon allowed to back his own Kickstarter like this?

I hate to rain on the parade, but I also don't want anyone to get in trouble.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Winson_Paine posted:

Do it how you like, I am saying that SA as an organization does not endorse this so you are ON YOUR OWN. I am sure on the personal level all y'all are fine, upstanding goons.

Fair enough. I wouldn't imagine being stupid enough to think that SA guaranteed anything like this. :) But it had to be said, so I take no offense. :)

Evil Mastermind posted:

Actually, is Simon allowed to back his own Kickstarter like this?

I hate to rain on the parade, but I also don't want anyone to get in trouble.

We'll have to see what he and/or Wade say.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Red_Mage posted:

Simon or I collecting the funds and making the donation raises HUGE red flags for me. Kickstarter's language about not contributing to your own campaign is very, very emphatic, and if it got shut down now because of this I might have to walk off a balcony. So let's not.

Red_Mage lives a stone's throw away from me, if that increases people's confidence. (As long as he's comfortable handling the funds.)

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
Oh sweet we managed to fund it! Nice!

I wish I had some meaningful suggestion for who collects the money, but alas, I do not.

If we could send it to Wade himself, that could solve that problem.

EDIT: Nevermind then, if sending the money to Wade would cause problems, lets not risk it.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

I say Red_Mage takes it then, if he's still willing. I trust that guy (all of them since he is just a sock puppet!)

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

waderockett posted:

Red_Mage lives a stone's throw away from me, if that increases people's confidence. (As long as he's comfortable handling the funds.)

I'll take care of it, its not going to be a problem.

paypal me at RedMageSA@gmail.com

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Overemotional Robot posted:

I say Red_Mage takes it then, if he's still willing. I trust that guy (all of them since he is just a sock puppet!)
We are all Red_Mage, after all.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Ok, goon money sent. Let's hope this turns into something not awful.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sent my $20. Now to bicker about dumb things like true SA goons.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Red_Mage posted:

I'll take care of it, its not going to be a problem.

paypal me at RedMageSA@gmail.com

Just sent my 50 to ya! You should get it soon if not instantly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sent mine too. This could be the next Zybourne Clock! :v:

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Man, I sure can't wait for all these SA references to hamfist their way into this dungeon.

Edit: NPC Orc named Hamfist

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Money sent from me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I sent my dough. I hope Simon doesn't have to pull out :ohdear:

• Locked thread