Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Another positive impression of that moko/blurex case for the nexus 7. I canceled the treegloo one and never looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I too also have a variation of that case, but mine has an added stylus loop in a not very useful place. But at least it has it I guess. I've bought this style of case for every tablet I've ever owned.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Anyone had any experience with those ziplock "waterproof" cases for the 7" Kindle or Nexus 7? Are they any good or would a roll of heavy duty ziplock freezer bags work just as well for protection from heavy rain?

Example.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LUPO-Waterproof-Bag-Amazon-Kindle/dp/B005H3IXF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347693313&sr=8-1

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If it's just rain use a Ziploc bag.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Verizian posted:

Anyone had any experience with those ziplock "waterproof" cases for the 7" Kindle or Nexus 7? Are they any good or would a roll of heavy duty ziplock freezer bags work just as well for protection from heavy rain?

Example.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LUPO-Waterproof-Bag-Amazon-Kindle/dp/B005H3IXF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347693313&sr=8-1
The CEO of Amazon uses a Ziploc bag :)

quote:

What do you say to Kindle users who like to read in the bathtub?

I’ll tell you what I do. I take a one-gallon Ziploc bag, and I put my Kindle in my one-gallon Ziploc bag, and it works beautifully. It’s much better than a physical book, because obviously if you put your physical book in a Ziploc bag you can’t turn the pages. But with Kindle, you can just push the buttons.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/magazine/06fob-q4-t.html

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Who would put a physical book in ziploc?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

That's for when all Kindles had physical buttons. I'm not sure it'd work for a tablet with capacitive touchscreen!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hotsauce posted:

I have a variation of that case:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D2POAS/

The sleep/wake magnet works 100% of the time. It's a great case.

Sold! The official case is worse than trash and I can't wait to be rid of it.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Picked up a 16 gig Nexus 7 last night. This is great. I'm liking the 7 inch tablet experience way more than I liked my iPad. Plus the recent apps dock is well more suited to multitasking on a tablet than iOS' cumbersome multitasking

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Install Gentoo posted:

That's for when all Kindles had physical buttons. I'm not sure it'd work for a tablet with capacitive touchscreen!

Not sure about the Kindle specifically, but I'll usually put my phone and tablet in ziploc bags if I take them to the beach with me, and I've never had any issues using them through the plastic.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Screen protectors are plastic. v:shobon:v

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I use my tablet for entertainment purposes a lot. Anyone have a good (non-general) suggestion for putting videos larger than 4GB onto a card?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Crow_Robot posted:

Picked up a 16 gig Nexus 7 last night. This is great. I'm liking the 7 inch tablet experience way more than I liked my iPad. Plus the recent apps dock is well more suited to multitasking on a tablet than iOS' cumbersome multitasking

Just a heads up for new Nexus 7 owners: I just bought Ultimate Rotation Control and it fixes the "issue" of the homescreen not rotating.

Worth the three bucks, but there's a 7 day trial version if you're not sure.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Trick: Go into developer options and set the animation speed settings (all three of them) to .5

The tablet operates and feels quite a bit faster.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

I use my tablet for entertainment purposes a lot. Anyone have a good (non-general) suggestion for putting videos larger than 4GB onto a card?

Format it as NTFS or Fat32?

Ralbane
Dec 26, 2007

that R is wearing a hat lmao

beerinator posted:

Just a heads up for new Nexus 7 owners: I just bought Ultimate Rotation Control and it fixes the "issue" of the homescreen not rotating.

Worth the three bucks, but there's a 7 day trial version if you're not sure.

You could have just installed a custom launcher, such as Apex or Nova, that includes homescreen rotation if having landscape mode is that big of a deal for you.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Zombie Rasputin posted:

This is not something I wanted to read. I ordered 24 August and haven't heard anything since. It's been a month and half for you, that's nuts. If mine doesn't ship within a reasonable amount of time, I'm going to cancel it and order a dodo case.

I just the shipping notification, so whatever was holding up production seems to be finished. No idea how much of a backlog they have but I hope yours doesn't end up taking a month and a half.

The blurex case (sold under Asuxtek here in Canada) I ordered yesterday morning shipped yesterday night. But it looks like it'll make a good backup case, so thanks for the suggestions.

matt_millar
Sep 26, 2002
I have a galaxy tab 10.1 and right now im running stock rooted ICS. Is there a stable CM9 build out there? all i see on getCM are nightlies. I'd go to JB but i dont want to lose camera (mostly front) functionality.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Android

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

FAT 32. NTFS support is inconsistent.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
He asked about 4GB+ files - FAT32 is limited to 4GB maximum file size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT32#FAT32

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I meant exFat :doh:
I don't know if that works either though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Some devices you can format the whole SD card as ext3 or ext4 and have the device read it. This allows larger than 4 gb files but wil cause various amounts of problems accessing the card from Windows or OS X.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I love my Nexus 7, but over the past few days the touch screen get really unresponsive at random, not noticing taps and sometimes just plain not working for a few seconds. It appears to be at random. Rooted but that's all, no kernels or roms or anything.

Is this hardware or software? This is my second Nexus (first had screen separation) so it would suck to send it back :(

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I've had this happen and it really frustrates me, but I think it's just that any amount of dirt on the screen makes the N7 extremely unresponsive. Try cleaning it and seeing if it clears it up.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Alan_Shore posted:

I love my Nexus 7, but over the past few days the touch screen get really unresponsive at random, not noticing taps and sometimes just plain not working for a few seconds. It appears to be at random. Rooted but that's all, no kernels or roms or anything.

Is this hardware or software? This is my second Nexus (first had screen separation) so it would suck to send it back :(

Had that happen to me yesterday, rebooted and it cleared up. Not sure if it was a rogue app or whatever, but that's the first (and hopefully last) time i will see that.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
The unresponsive screen happens to me from time to time, usually when I'm in a colder location (my room with the AC on).

For me, turning it off and back on for a second or so fixes it. It's bugs the hell out of me. I'm thinking it's a software thing, so hopefully they fix it soon.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've rebooted a few times and it always comes back. I've cleaned it too.

Sounds like a software issue then?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Is it happening only when the tablet is charging? I remember the touch screen on my last ASUS made tablet (TF101) would randomly become unresponsive if it was charging from anything but the official charger. I'm not sure if there was ever a fix for that though.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Nah it's pretty random, although I think gets worse when the screen is hot from playing Major Mayhem.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
So, I've been toying with the idea of buying a 7" Android tablet. Usage would probably be mostly playing games/reading books/watching movies when I'm traveling for work. N7 seems like the best choice, but even 16gb of space seems pretty limited. How well do OTG USB devices work in practice? Do they greatly impact battery life? Any limits on the size the USB drive can be?

I can't believe Google/Asus didn't stick a MicroSD slot in the drat thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I can't believe Google/Asus didn't stick a MicroSD slot in the drat thing.
Nexus devices will not have removable storage going forward.

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
I too am looking for a nice little 7 inch tablet that I could throw some movies on, maybe hook it up to a friends TV and watch them when I go over or something like that. Would the Kindle with the HDMI out be the best? I will primarily use it for web surfing and netflix.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Nexus devices will not have removable storage going forward.

I'm new to this so I apologize if this has been discussed to death (I read the last 20 pages or so of the thread and saw nothing), but why wouldn't they? Even if they are trying to shave cost on the $199 model, it would seem that like a nice feature to lure people up to the 16GB model.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm new to this so I apologize if this has been discussed to death (I read the last 20 pages or so of the thread and saw nothing), but why wouldn't they? Even if they are trying to shave cost on the $199 model, it would seem that like a nice feature to lure people up to the 16GB model.
It's been discussed several times. Nexus models will no longer have SD card slots. Here's some of the reasoning:
  • To avoid using USB mass storage
  • To avoid proprietary file systems (exFAT)
  • To avoid user decisions on where to store data
  • To avoid applications being stored on the SD card disappearing when the card is mounted
  • To avoid the need for the physical parts and space needed
Personally I think SD cards need to go away, but it seems I'm in the minority.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
SD cards are like Flash. They were a big "selling point" until everyone realized that they suck and that they should be left in the rubbish bin. I should know, I felt that way about Flash but saw the light.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

TildeATH posted:

SD cards are like Flash. They were a big "selling point" until everyone realized that they suck and that they should be left in the rubbish bin. I should know, I felt that way about Flash but saw the light.
Flash, SD cards, removable batteries, screens bigger than 4.3"...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

TildeATH posted:

But like Flash a year back there isn't currently a replacement that works for everyone.

Streaming is all well and good but it relies on a fairly fast, reliable and cheap data connection and built in storage on current Android phones is never over 32GB (of which not all is usable)

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Has anyone tried mirroring the Nexus 7 display to an external monitor through wi-fi direct or alternative method (android equivalent to WiDi, AirPlay)? It seems like it'd be a good way to make the device more useful and address the screen size issue. However it's not obvious if the connection/device would be fast enough for typing, or even how to go about doing it (for me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's been discussed several times. Nexus models will no longer have SD card slots. Here's some of the reasoning:
  • To avoid using USB mass storage
  • To avoid proprietary file systems (exFAT)
  • To avoid user decisions on where to store data
  • To avoid applications being stored on the SD card disappearing when the card is mounted
  • To avoid the need for the physical parts and space needed
Personally I think SD cards need to go away, but it seems I'm in the minority.

Thanks for the reply. That's really a big negative for people like me. A 32gb microSD card costs $20 at this point. I know streaming is the hot thing at the moment, but 90% of the time I'd want to use a tablet I wouldn't have access to a connection with enough bandwidth to reliably stream anything (crappy hotel wi-fi and airplanes).