Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just found Sealark. The video isn't informative but the text is. Looks like a fun adventure game and the goal is only 5k.

Game looks absolutely adorable.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1338986832/sealark-an-oceanic-adventure-game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
So, Project Eternity. Looking at the rewards, it looks like they are outsourcing a bunch of their NPC, artifact and tavern designs to dorks willing to pay $500+ for a game. I cannot wait to play it and experience a world designed by neckbeards, meeting exciting NPCs like Lord Ardath'kan, the strong-and-brave-but-mysterious mercenary. Or Jade Tarn'dhok, the sexy redhead assassin. :allears:

They would have busted their goal easily with just the $100 and less rewards, seriously.

Senso fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 15, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Senso posted:

So, Project Eternity. Looking at the rewards, it looks like they are outsourcing a bunch of their NPC, artifact and tavern designs to dorks willing to pay $500+ for a game. I cannot wait to play it and experience a world designed by neckbeards, meeting exciting NPCs like Lord Ardath'kan, the strong-and-brave-but-mysterious mercenary. Or Jade Tarn'dhok, the sexy redhead assassin. :allears:

They would have busted their goal easily with just the $100 and less rewards, seriously.

"You get design input on a character/item/location/deity/quest" is pretty common in game kickstarters and it's always subject to editorial control by the developers. These are going to be well-realized, well-integrated characters based on people's contributions with perhaps the occasional easter egg, not a giant trainwreck of injokes and bad fanfic.

Sefer posted:

There is a dedicated Project Eternity thread, which is probably what he was referring to: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506352

Thanks for the link, I had no idea that thread existed.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Senso posted:

In the world of Project Eternity, most blacksmiths and innkeepers are closet D&D nerds so it actually makes perfect sense that the item and tavern names would reflect this.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I just found Sealark. The video isn't informative but the text is. Looks like a fun adventure game and the goal is only 5k.

gently caress Obsidian, this certainly does. I'll put down :10bux: for squid and nautical adventure.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

TerryLennox posted:

Seiken Densetsu 3 was very good. Legend of Mana is the one for the PSX. It has everything you could want in WoW but in a Single Player game. Crafting, Pets, Golem Building, a bitching soundtrack and reasonably good graphics. Its weak points are the somewhat disentangled plot with multiple arcs and crappy magic system.

And Secret of Evermore was one of my favorite games too. Jeremy Soule composed a beautiful OST. My only gripe with that game is that it has rather limited weapons. The alchemy system was quite nifty. It is not however the sequel for Legend of Mana, as it was released on 1995 and Legend of Mana was released on 2000.

Waitacottonfuckingpickingsecond! Tim Cain, in Obsidian...White, 29m, slim ready to make your dreams reality.

Legend of Mana has absolutely incredible graphics, dunno what you're saying. But Secret of Evermore was also fantastic.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ToxicFrog posted:

"You get design input on a character/item/location/deity/quest" is pretty common in game kickstarters and it's always subject to editorial control by the developers. These are going to be well-realized, well-integrated characters based on people's contributions with perhaps the occasional easter egg, not a giant trainwreck of injokes and bad fanfic.

Sure but will they risk angering people who donated $1000 by using too much editorial control or flat out refusing dumb submissions? You seem to be pretty confident it's going to be awesome; I'm going to wait and see.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If they absolutely had to put in someone's terrible self-insert character they could always put it in as a rare easter-egg kinda thing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It could be a "Wild Wasteland" situation wherein it's some sort of gameplay thing you "turn on" that allows people to see Leonard J. Crabs, the high fantasy elvish lawyer or whatever in the game.

Oh by the way that reminds me is anyone interested in maybe starting a Wasteland 2-esque drive to try and get Vilerat added in as an NPC into the Obsidian game?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Occupation posted:

Oh by the way that reminds me is anyone interested in maybe starting a Wasteland 2-esque drive to try and get Vilerat added in as an NPC into the Obsidian game?

Yeah, it's been mentioned a few times in the thread and I think it's a good idea. The reason the last one went off without a hitch was because we had a mod to front the money and take care of the dirty details. I just upped my pledge to $100 but I'd throw a few more dollars towards an SA bar and a Vilerat appearance.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Senso posted:

Sure but will they risk angering people who donated $1000 by using too much editorial control or flat out refusing dumb submissions? You seem to be pretty confident it's going to be awesome; I'm going to wait and see.

Well, first of all, by the time it reaches that point they already have the money and as long as they deliver the goods the donator has no grounds for complaint; and secondly, the reward tier description says "within reason" and the fine print once the actual submission process goes live always has a big chunk of disclaimer about how stupid stuff will either be sent back for revision, edited until no longer stupid, or turned into an easter egg. Check out Wasteland 2 or The Banner Saga for examples.

I trust Obsidian not to just blindly copy-paste everything they're sent into the game, just as I trust InXile and Stoic not to.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Urdnot Fire posted:

Anyways, since I'm tired of horrible, non-Kickstarter posts, here's an interesting FPS called Retrovirus.

Basically, you play as an anti-virus program and destroy an infection. It's a neat concept and is certainly a diversion from the gritty FPS norm these days. The MOBA multiplayer mode in particular sounds like fun. The team behind this, Cadenza Interactive, created a game called Sol Survivor a couple years back, which itself was a fun little indie turret defense/strategy game.

As a followup to this: While the kickstarter failed, they ended up getting a deal with gamestop to have the game released on gamestop's digital download service (which I didn't know existed): gamestop purchase page free demo page

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Project Eternity is now funded.

It took around 27 hours.

Holy poo poo.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Pro Kickstartin' right there.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…and it now comes with some neat stretch goals, including OSX and Linux support for those (like me) who held back pledging until some more concrete promises than “looking into it” were made.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Tippis posted:

…and it now comes with some neat stretch goals, including OSX and Linux support for those (like me) who held back pledging until some more concrete promises than “looking into it” were made.

I just think its funny that they say they're "looking into" DRM free.

I completely understand having to research a new feature and determine how much resources to put toward it (like Mac OS support), but how do you "look into" NOT adding something?

They're self-publishing, it's not like they have to run it by someone.

Sounds more like they're waffling.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Really there's absolutely no reason to have any DRM that's not impossible to crack(diablo III's). Anything else gets cracked within a matter of days.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

macnbc posted:

I completely understand having to research a new feature and determine how much resources to put toward it (like Mac OS support), but how do you "look into" NOT adding something?

Presumably they don't want to promise this until they know they can have a distribution system for it that will be effectively stable. It probably costs lots of money to host something as huge as a video game on a server for someone to download, so in lieu of sticking a torrent on The Pirate Bay and calling it a day, I imagine they'd want to set up or contract a service to make the game available. So it makes sense to be cautious about over-promising.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
They probably just don't want to commit to anything non-Steam yet because they haven't had time to figure it out distribution channels. That's usually the publisher's domain isn't it? It's sounding like they thought they had more time to sort out feedback after the weekend, and the speed of the funding took them offguard.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
From the comments rope kid (Josh Sawyer) made in the other thread, it seems like they weren't sure the campaign would even make the goal. So they're probably a little surprised that they hit it in 24 hours. I'll bet they're a bit overwhelmed right now.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

macnbc posted:

Given various digital distribution deals I'd imagine promising "DRM-Free!" is a bit tricky.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Sigma-X posted:

Given various digital distribution deals I'd imagine promising "DRM-Free!" is a bit tricky.

Unless they go with GoG, who conveniently happen to sell a lot of games that they are making Project Eternity in the style of.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

Unless they go with GoG, who conveniently happen to sell a lot of games that they are making Project Eternity in the style of.

Exactly. I'm sure they'll have a Steam version at launch, but if they want to offer a DRM-free version I'm sure they don't need to be exclusive and can get GOG on-board (as well as offer a direct download version themselves, if even just to Kickstarter backers)

In non-Eternity news.. I don't know if anyone remembers that Tempus Chronicle Kickstarter that failed a couple months ago. It was for an episodic JRPG series released via Facebook.

It looks like they've been chugging along regardless, and have their first episode's beta up.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

But even promising that requires that they clear it with GOG.com first.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I don't understand why people are having a hard time understanding this... :-/

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Dragonrah posted:

I don't understand why people are having a hard time understanding this... :-/

It's because most people are ignorant of anything beyond double-clicking an icon to start their games running. Development and publishing are turtles and handjobs all the way down.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Very true. But still, I don't think it would be a huge hardship for them to say "Yes, we will have a DRM-free version of the game available to everyone who purchases through Kickstarter, somehow, someway."

The details can be settled later. There are enough digital distro options (GOG, Amazon has a DRM free option, direct download, etc.) that I don't think it's an unreasonable thing to guarantee.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

macnbc posted:

Very true. But still, I don't think it would be a huge hardship for them to say "Yes, we will have a DRM-free version of the game available to everyone who purchases through Kickstarter, somehow, someway."

The details can be settled later. There are enough digital distro options (GOG, Amazon has a DRM free option, direct download, etc.) that I don't think it's an unreasonable thing to guarantee.

So you think they should promise things they aren't sure about just for the sake of getting kickstarter money?

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1338986832/sealark-an-oceanic-adventure-game

This does look awesome. I think comparisons to Treasure Adventure Game are unavoidable, but that's definitely a compliment.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Alkanos posted:

So you think they should promise things they aren't sure about just for the sake of getting kickstarter money?

For God's sake we're talking about a DRM-free version of the game, not a new feature, not a new version, not anything that requires any sort of dev time or resources at all.

There are many Kickstarters that have promised a DRM-free release during their Kickstarter campaigns without having distribution partners in place. Major ones like Double Fine, Banner Saga, and Wasteland 2.

This isn't rocket science.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

macnbc posted:

For God's sake we're talking about a DRM-free version of the game, not a new feature, not a new version, not anything that requires any sort of dev time or resources at all.

There are many Kickstarters that have promised a DRM-free release during their Kickstarter campaigns without having distribution partners in place. Major ones like Double Fine, Banner Saga, and Wasteland 2.

This isn't rocket science.

You see this as completely black and white. It's not; not exactly. Is it really so bad that company needs to research or verify something before they outright promise it? Think about it. This game could be 10 gigs or more. Do you really think a company that had to recently lay off a lot of its workforce has the funds to support content servers to handle this? I for one do not want them to waste Kickstarter money on this when it'll already be on Steam which is the least intrusive DRM possible. And before you say GOG, yes, that is probably what they need to check on. If it is possible, I’m sure they’ll do it, especially with the response so far, but at least they don’t run the risk of having to go back on their word.

Edit: Also, you can't account for everything beforehand. Maybe this is something they should have figured out, but whatever, it's still a great Kickstarter.

Dragonrah fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 16, 2012

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Plus, maybe it's possible they make more money being on Steam than being on Steam and GOG? I don't know if that's the case but I think it's actually encouraging that they're looking into things before making promises.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Oh hey, the music is going to be by the Tower of Heaven composer. Pretty awesome.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Wezlar posted:

Plus, maybe it's possible they make more money being on Steam than being on Steam and GOG? I don't know if that's the case but I think it's actually encouraging that they're looking into things before making promises.

How the hell would they make more money on one distribution partner than several?

If that was the case we'd see a lot more Steam exclusive titles than there currently are.

Dragonrah posted:

You see this as completely black and white. It's not; not exactly. Is it really so bad that company needs to research or verify something before they outright promise it? Think about it. This game could be 10 gigs or more. Do you really think a company that had to recently lay off a lot of its workforce has the funds to support content servers to handle this? I for one do not want them to waste Kickstarter money on this when it'll already be on Steam which is the least intrusive DRM possible. And before you say GOG, yes, that is probably what they need to check on. If it is possible, I’m sure they’ll do it, especially with the response so far, but at least they don’t run the risk of having to go back on their word.

Edit: Also, you can't account for everything beforehand. Maybe this is something they should have figured out, but whatever, it's still a great Kickstarter.

Actually it is. DRM = Work, money and resources. No DRM = Less. Content servers are also really easy to come by these days since you can easily hop on board an existing platform like Amazon, Akamai, Limelight, etc. Saying that they're "wasting Kickstarter money" on something that is obviously important for some people just because it isn't important to you is naïve and selfish reasoning.

It also isn't something they should be acting surprised came up, considering it's a major question that has come up in pretty much every Kickstarter that hasn't mentioned it at launch previously. Most other Kickstarters go ahead and say DRM-free up-front from the start as a result.

Obsidian is a professional company, not a group of guys in a garage. You're acting like this DRM-free thing is a big complicated thing they had to figure out. It isn't. Or at least it shouldn't be if they put any level of thought into the project before posting their Kickstarter.

I get that a lot of people are excited about this game and are fanboying over Obsidian, but that doesn't mean you need to whip out the rose-colored glasses if there's a flaw in their logic.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
On the other hand, if they're a big professional company and are seriously thinking about DRM-free, I'd expect them to be well aware of it if it were possible for them to instantly OK it with no issues.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

macnbc posted:

How the hell would they make more money on one distribution partner than several?

You know the distributor takes a cut, right? If GOG and Steam don't have identical cuts, then you're losing money on the one that takes more versus just using the one that takes less exclusively. There may also be other one time licensing costs for technology that you have to use for each platform you distribute on.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Alkanos posted:

From the comments rope kid (Josh Sawyer) made in the other thread, it seems like they weren't sure the campaign would even make the goal. So they're probably a little surprised that they hit it in 24 hours. I'll bet they're a bit overwhelmed right now.

It's true, Kickstarter can be a fickle moneybag at times. Not to mention their stated goal was set on the more realistic side of things. I imagine they thought, at best, that with all the other kickstarters hoovering up people's money at the same time, they'd only manage to hit their goal two weeks or more into the thing. Which would explain why information about the stretch goals seems a bit sparse and haphazard compared to the rest of their main starter page.

Would be really interesting to see a summary of how people reacted at the studios during all this (as seen with the DF kickstarter) though. And not just after the fact, like with rope kid's excellent singing. I'm sure that'd also spur some more investments/donations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

On the other hand, if they're a big professional company and are seriously thinking about DRM-free, I'd expect them to be well aware of it if it were possible for them to instantly OK it with no issues.

Exactly. I think what's most likely going on is they're debating whether or not they want it to be DRM-free or not, rather than a question of if it's feasible.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The video they uploaded w/ their stretch goals indicates that they are going to pursue a DRM-free alternative to Steam. But yeah, as has been said, hosting a big game requires a lot of server power. It's no easy thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Nobody has mentioned it so far, but if they give every KS backer a Steam key and also a GoG key, then essentially you get two copies of the game for the price of one. People who hate Steam can just give away those keys, and people who love it can give away the others.