Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Pookerbacca posted:

I think that is basically what I've been saying, fans are not to "blame" and were not the "cause" for this disaster. But some fans must have "contributed" to the chaos by just being there without a ticket....maybe it was just 5, 10, 24, I have no idea.

I don't know why you keep saying this when the reports completely reject that idea. When the crush happened there were reportedly more than 3000 people in pens 3 and 4, which was over double the safe capacity. So are you saying there were over 1500 ticketless fans in there or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Pookerbacca posted:

I think that is basically what I've been saying, fans are not to "blame" and were not the "cause" for this disaster. But some fans must have "contributed" to the chaos by just being there without a ticket....maybe it was just 5, 10, 24, I have no idea.

And as the report says, the effect of this handful of people is completely negligible.

I agree that it's healthy to question any consensus, but what you're doing is just being an idiot contrarian. You're supposed to use your "brain" to "think" about whether a point is valid, not take up opposition on the off-chance it's wrong and refuse to budge.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Haha "healthy perspective", gently caress off, I have no patience for this poo poo

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Bringing up an insignificant factor = being a contrarian... And implying the media's outcry at a 23 year old smear campaign and cover up by the government isn't healthy... Baffling. Just baffling.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

The supporters on the day have been absolved of any role by 2 separate reports, the most recent of which brought to light hundreds of altered documents exposing a massive institutional coverup which involved the police, the media, and the government.

HOWEVER, this guy has figured out a secret that 96 people who were crushed to death don't want you to know...

Honestly what the gently caress.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Would have been nice if this had all been cleared up before the police module of the Leveson inquiry had wrapped up.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

T. Mascis posted:

HOWEVER, this guy has figured out a secret that 96 people who were crushed to death don't want you to know...

Want to shift blame onto the REAL guilty party, the victim? Read this one weird old tip, discovered by a loving nutcase. Panels hate him!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

T. Mascis posted:

The supporters on the day have been absolved of any role by 2 separate reports, the most recent of which brought to light hundreds of altered documents exposing a massive institutional coverup which involved the police, the media, and the government.

Clearly condensing 400000 documents into only 1/100 of that isn't detailed enough

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Pookerbacca posted:

My original post was just trying to say we should have a healthy perspective about this historical event, it cannot be just 100% this and 100% that....

so accordingly

Pookerbacca posted:

lets not kid ourselves that every single fan in the Leppings Lane End has got a "clear conscience" from that horrible day.

...Alrighty then! :thumbsup:

irlZaphod posted:

Also Sheffield Wednesday looked for compensation from the FA over lost revenue due to the semi-final being "cancelled" lmao are they loving serious.

Yeah thats beyond shameful.

I just hope the families and friends who fought so hard to have all this information released can put it to effective use and get all the cooperation they deserve.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Brian Reade made the point even before the report came out - I'm sure there were some dudes who showed up and had drank one or more beers. I'm sure someone turned up without having a ticket looking to blag or buy one. This is something that has happened at every football match ever played. It also happens at tennis matches (I personally know a dude who decided to shotgun eight cans of cider rather than have them confiscated by Wimbledon security). This also happens at the loving opera. If your argument is that the police report should read, "A DRUNK DUDE WAS THERE AND HE WAS SINGING WE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO", literally all forms of human gathering should be banned.

For the police's argument to hold weight, you have to basically accept that that they were essentially set upon by a baying mob, far above what could normally be expected in that situation, and were forced to take emergency measures, losing control of the situation. That was rejected by Taylor a long time ago. It was clear that they did take emergency measures, and they did lose control of the situation, but that was caused primarily by the multiple problems inherent in the design of the stand and turnstiles, and secondarily by inefficient police procedures.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!

Pookerbacca posted:

We should have a healthy perspective about this historical event, it cannot be just 100% this and 100% that....

Let me take a shot in the dark here. Maybe you're inferring that it's 100% this and 100% that, when in actuality people have decided that the role of ticketless and drunken fans was so negligible that to ascribe even 1% of the blame is silly. Maybe people are talking about the 99.8% of blame that can be ascribed to organizations and not individuals.

As others have said, the fact that it was a sunny day outside also contributed to the disaster, because it meant that people stayed outside longer because of the nice weather, and thus created more of a crush outside the turnstiles as they all tried to get in just before kickoff. When we blame the police, and not the weather, it's not that we have decided that the weather contributed exactly 0.00000% toward the disaster; it's that it could have happened on any day, and speculating about it is not at all useful for figuring out how to avoid another Hillsborough.

When Grandma decides to celebrate her birthday the Saturday before and not the Tuesday of, you're apparently the twerp who goes, "But, Dad, why does her cake say 'Happy 80th Birthday' when she's only 79.9945?" And when your dad tells you to grab a plate and shut the gently caress up, you decide that this birthday party is just an example of "herd mentality" and you were just trying to lend a "healthy perspective" on the milestone your grandmother has not yet reached. As I said the first time: you're being uselessly contrarian.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Brian Reade made the point even before the report came out - I'm sure there were some dudes who showed up and had drank one or more beers. I'm sure someone turned up without having a ticket looking to blag or buy one. This is something that has happened at every football match ever played. It also happens at tennis matches (I personally know a dude who decided to shotgun eight cans of cider rather than have them confiscated by Wimbledon security). This also happens at the loving opera. If your argument is that the police report should read, "A DRUNK DUDE WAS THERE AND HE WAS SINGING WE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO", literally all forms of human gathering should be banned.

For the police's argument to hold weight, you have to basically accept that that they were essentially set upon by a baying mob, far above what could normally be expected in that situation, and were forced to take emergency measures, losing control of the situation. That was rejected by Taylor a long time ago. It was clear that they did take emergency measures, and they did lose control of the situation, but that was caused primarily by the multiple problems inherent in the design of the stand and turnstiles, and secondarily by inefficient police procedures.

This makes a good point. A crowd identical to the one at hillsborough turned up to multiple games across the country every week. Either you accept that the police and ground were at fault or you cling to the idea, which two huge reports have dismissed, that the crowd that day was different to others.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Sheila Coleman has confirmed that she was a hacking victim, probably more of the JFT96 campaign as well.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Sheila Coleman has confirmed that she was a hacking victim, probably more of the JFT96 campaign as well.
Jesus loving Christ

In lighter news, there's a campaign to get You'll Never Walk Alone to #1. Gerry Marsden has apparently told Steve Rotheram that he'll donate all proceeds to Hillsborough charities. Go download it for 99p!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/youll-never-walk-alone/id18819819?i=18819710

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 14, 2012

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

irlZaphod posted:

Jesus loving Christ

I honestly can't think of how it would play out if the Sun had been hacking them, which is what a lot of operation Tuleta is looking at.

Salt Water Solution
Dec 28, 2005

ROCK AND ROLL IS FULL OF BAD WOOLS
Interesting choice of advert the Echo chose to run on its page today.

Benzene
Feb 1, 2007
So viel Spaß für wenig Geld.
There's two petitions on the Liverpool City Council website asking for both Irvine Patnick and Norman Bettison to be stripped of their knighthoods as a consequence of the findings of the HIP if that interests anyone:

http://councillors.liverpool.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=17&RPID=4231961&HPID=4231961

http://councillors.liverpool.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=19&RPID=4418111&HPID=4418111

(Hope this sort of stuff is okay to post here, if not I'll remove it.)

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/update/2012-09-13/video-1989-interview-with-south-yorkshire-police-federation/

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

I couldn't watch more than like 10 seconds of him talk lol I'm utterly seething

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I never really knew much about Hillsborough as I didn't much care about football at the time, andI thought it was a bit to do with hooliganism. Not as much as the Sun said, because it's a paper of lies, but I found it impossible to believe that a police force would just make poo poo up wholesale about something like this. I could see them doing it about terrorism, with the guildford four and birmingham six. This is sickening though and heads need to roll for it, and for the 23 years of delays. People like Jack Straw should be called to account to see why they thought there was no need to reopen the inquest, it's a loving joke.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
BBC and all and sundry are now reporting that the cover-up was long a subject of knowledge in government (of course it was, while the parties may change, the civil service does not cycle as frequently).

It's only a microcosm as well. Think of every reference to a "victim mentality" or the like of the people of Liverpool from a politician in the last 20 years. They've said that, with more than likely more knowledge of the events of that day than anyone else had. Until now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Got a link to the BBC or anywhere else reporting that?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19610226

If the CPS knew, it was definitely discussed in corridors.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
United have officially condemned the Hillsborough chanting from todays game, from what I heard from my mate that went he said it was a tiny group of morons, but still distasteful.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Clit Avoider posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19610226

If the CPS knew, it was definitely discussed in corridors.

I want everyones head to roll. This is loving disgusting

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

irlZaphod posted:

Jesus loving Christ

In lighter news, there's a campaign to get You'll Never Walk Alone to #1. Gerry Marsden has apparently told Steve Rotheram that he'll donate all proceeds to Hillsborough charities. Go download it for 99p!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/youll-never-walk-alone/id18819819?i=18819710

The one thing I've ever been jealous of Liverpool for is having a song this good, right behind this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Seems some Man Utd fans on twitter have tried to say the hillsborough "Always the victims, its never your fault" songs were aimed at Suarez

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Scott Bakula posted:

Seems some Man Utd fans on twitter have tried to say the hillsborough "Always the victims, its never your fault" songs were aimed at Suarez

Even if they were, it still seems a ridiculously stupid thing to be singing because it was always going to be misconstrued, especially considering they weren't even playing Liverpool.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Thats also ignoring using victims when referring to a single person

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That's like a Liverpool fan singing a song about Munich and then saying "But I was just referring to that recent time when Bayern knocked United out of the Champions League". Absolute idiocy and they're insane if they think anyone's going to buy it.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

quote:

like a blind man, in a dark room, looking for a black cat that isn’t there

- David Cameron, describing the families of the victims of Hillsborough and the supporters of the Justice for the 96 campaign, 2011.

Prick

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That's not even his line, it's a quote

Gene Ricman
Aug 14, 2008

Scott Bakula posted:

It at didnt start off as a Hillborough chant at least. I know some of our fans started singing it around the time of the Suarez-Evra nonsense - specifically after the t-shirts supporting Suarez were worn. It also ties into the bullshit belief that people from Liverpool have a 'victim mentality' which Boris Johnson shat out of his mouth in the Spectator a while back.

All that said, given the timing it could & should be interpreted as being aimed at what happened at Hillborough. I'm pretty sure at least some of those singing had it in mind, and even if they didn't you'd think people would have the slightest bit of common sense just to keep their mouths shut. Its a loving stupid chant sung by a loving stupid minority of people at a really loving stupid time.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Gene Ricman posted:

It also ties into the bullshit belief that people from Liverpool have a 'victim mentality' which Boris Johnson shat out of his mouth in the Spectator a while back.

Sorry to hack your post down to just this section, but it's the most relevant part.

That in essence, is the complete problem with the chant. The "victim mentality" of Liverpool is, in no small part, down to Hillsborough.

The working classes were bullied under Thatcher and her brood for her reign. I doubt you'll find anyone in the North of England or Scotland who isn't a toff or one of the unscrupulous traders that made a fortune off of her policies that has a kind word to say about her. The only difference between the vast majority of Liverpudlians and elsewhere is that the other places didn't have shows like Bread or Boys from the Black Stuff made about them.

And Hillsborough.

And when it turns out that, guess what, people from Liverpool were the victims all along, both of incompetent policing and a despicable policy of deceit, then it ceases to be a "victim mentality".

I know you, quite correctly, pointed out it's a bullshit belief. But the fact is, that belief is inextricably linked to Hillsborough and as such, anything playing on it is too.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Gene Ricman posted:

It at didnt start off as a Hillborough chant at least. I know some of our fans started singing it around the time of the Suarez-Evra nonsense - specifically after the t-shirts supporting Suarez were worn.

It started among Man-U fans as a retaliation for the Munich chants some Liverpool fans were fond of and it's meant to refer to Hillsborough and Heysel. You can stretch it to cover the Evra/Suarez incident, but that chant has been around for a very long time and those are the origins for it.

I don't think the Everton fans co-opted the chant as a dig as Hillsborough (or at least I hope not) since it's kind of digging at themselves too.

Given the anti-Scouser bias that you guys have pointed out and how Liverpool can never really own up to Heysel, the chant will probably be there forever whether we like it or not.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 16, 2012

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

TyChan posted:

I don't think the Everton fans co-opted the chant as a dig as Hillsborough (or at least I hope not) since it's kind of digging at themselves too.
No way Everton fans sing Hillsborough songs, never. The "victim" thing is very much aimed at "scousers", grouping them all together without specifying "Liverpool fans". Plenty of Everton fans know someone who either died or is related to someone that died at Hillsborough.

[edit]Every year on the anniversary the media seem pleasantly surprised and applauding that there's Everton scarves and wreaths on the memorial gates or that the EFC club shop has a shirt with the number "96" on the back in the window. There's no football divide over Hillsborough for Liverpudlians.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 16, 2012

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Hoops posted:

No way Everton fans sing Hillsborough songs, never. The "victim" thing is very much aimed at "scousers", grouping them all together without specifying "Liverpool fans". Plenty of Everton fans know someone who either died or is related to someone that died at Hillsborough.

I've read match reports from fans saying that younger Everton fans do some cheer where they pretend like they're getting crushed against a fence, but I'm not sure how widespread that actually is since every fan group has some people willing to do very stupid things in an effort to get under other club's fans' skins.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

TyChan posted:

I've read match reports from fans saying that younger Everton fans do some cheer where they pretend like they're getting crushed against a fence, but I'm not sure how widespread that actually is since every fan group has some people willing to do very stupid things in an effort to get under other club's fans' skins.
Maybe it's creeped in since more time has passed and there's less people who remember it strongly, and it's become more of a historical concept in the minds of young Everton fans. But Everton fans of a certain generation will remember going to school on Monday morning and finding out someone from their year isn't coming back, those fans would never make those chants.

I always wonder why Sheffield residents never get talked about in Hillsborough conversations too, come to think of it.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 16, 2012

hermyownee
Jun 5, 2011

The Clit Avoider posted:

The working classes were bullied under Thatcher and her brood for her reign. I doubt you'll find anyone in the North of England or Scotland who isn't a toff or one of the unscrupulous traders that made a fortune off of her policies that has a kind word to say about her.

My dad's from Middlesbrough and he voted for Thatcher. He's not an unscrupulous trader and he hasn't got a fortune but I guess he must be a toff? I'll let him know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

hermyownee posted:

My dad's from Middlesbrough and he voted for Thatcher. He's not an unscrupulous trader and he hasn't got a fortune but I guess he must be a toff? I'll let him know.

Lots of voters are stupid, more at 11.

Also how did he vote for Thatcher? She wasn't Middlesbrough's MP. Unless he moved to Finchley in which case in that neck of the woods, yeah, she might well have been the "preferred" option.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 16, 2012

• Locked thread