Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

So this is a thread where we can discuss the release of the Hillsborough disaster report which is being released today.

From the guardian:

quote:

The families of the 96 people who died in the Hillsborough disaster will receive a report on Wednesday intended to establish the truth about what happened that day and in the aftermath, based on an examination of thousands of official papers.
and

quote:

David Cameron will make a statement in the House of Commons on the report, expected at about 12.30pm after prime minister's questions. He has been urged by the families and Merseyside Labour MPs to deliver an apology over failures that caused the disaster, and over the attempt by South Yorkshire police to shift blame on to Liverpool supporters.

In the interests of getting this thread up in time for the release of the report I'll leave this first post as it is, but will try and add in some later on.

More information about the incident:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster

Guardians Liveblog of the release of the report:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/12/hillsborough-disaster-report-panel-released-live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
From the other thread:

Scott Bakula posted:

Some of the first stuff is coming out and survivors had their blood taken and tested for alcohol without their knowledge and when it was found they had 0% alcohol in their blood the police did criminal background checks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/12/hillsborough-disaster-report-panel-released-live

I believe there's an embargo until after David Cameron's speech at 12:30, then I imagine a lot of information will start coming through from the various news sources..

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

Don't think it was the survivors that had blood taken, the Guardian specifically says "bodies".

Edit: More recent comment from the Mirror says survivors.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

sc0tty posted:

From the other thread:

I believe there's an embargo until after David Cameron's speech at 12:30, then I imagine a lot of information will start coming through from the various news sources..

Disgusting

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

From what it sounds like in the leaks so far there has been lots of fabrication of evidence and hopefully we will get some prosecutions out of this.

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002
Pretty loving appalling that it took all of 23 years for the government to finally say, "You know what? Our bad..."

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007
Most half hearted apology ever from Cameron. Refusing to accept his dear Thatcher could have been complicit in a cover up.

All cops and tories are bastards.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

quote:

Some 164 police statements were amended, he says. Many removed comments attacking the police.

The number of statements is amazing...

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

quote:

There were gasps in the house as it was revealed that 164 evidence statements were "significantly" altered and 116 had comments that were critical of police removed.
This just keeps getting worse, that is an obscene amount of alterations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cuban Chowder Factory posted:

Pretty loving appalling that it took all of 23 years for the government to finally say, "You know what? Our bad..."

He hasnt though. No chance he would criticise his hero maggie. At least it looks like the truth is emerging.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

sc0tty posted:

The number of statements is amazing...

Yeah, it's horrible.

The Independent had a story about some of the alterations today:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...me-8126233.html

The testimony of one constable, 31-year-old Martin McLoughlin, was crossed through so two paragraphs of criticism were entirely deleted. PC McLoughlin, who had nine years' service with the force, described how police had "appeared to be a bit thin on the ground for the numbers of people involved" on the fateful afternoon of 15 April 1989. He also detailed how officers on duty at the stadium had a "poor supply of personal radios" when the catastrophic decision to allow fans to enter the Leppings Lane end through an exit gate led to many being crushed to death inside a stadium, which lacked an up-to-date safety certificate. Pc McLoughlin described how "it seemed very bad that only one in our serial – the sergeant – should have a personal radio. We had great difficulty in finding out what happened and what was happening and for too long a time we were basically working in the dark." All of these criticisms are struck through and an earlier reference to "the only officer with a personal radio" has been rewritten to read "who had a personal radio", making it appear as though the officers were better-equipped.

Pc McLoughlin's testimony that he could hear "the voices of more and more officers … getting desperate" over the police radio is replaced simply with the words "increased radio traffic". Another of the phrases deleted from his testimony reads: "Basically it was chaos".

A similar picture of institutional failing emerges in the testimony of Pc Alan Wadsworth, in whose report the following words were crossed out: "There was no leadership at the Leppings Lane end following the disaster, either in person or on the radio. The only officer I heard on the radio with any form of organization and method was Chief Superintendent Nesbitt (sic) [a reference to John Nesbit, traffic division commander] who did not arrive until later."

An attempt to deliver praise to Liverpool fans appears to have been crossed from the testimony of a fourth officer, David Sumner, who says that "many fans assisted in the removal of the dead and injured from the field".

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

He hasnt though. No chance he would criticise his hero maggie. At least it looks like the truth is emerging.

He has formally apologized on behalf of the government but did not mention Thatcher by name

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002
What I want to know is...

quote:

Documents released to the panel show how high ranking police sources, the South Yorkshire Police Federation and the Tory MP Irvine Patnick were responsible for feeding the stories to White's News Agency in Yorkshire.

They led to the infamous Sun headline "The Truth" that led to a longstanding boycott of the paper in Liverpool. "The Police Federation, supported informally by the SYP chief constable, sought to develop and publicise a version of events derived in police officers' allegations of drunkenness, ticketless fans and violence. This extended beyond the media to Parliament," said the Panel.

Does this have any effect on Liverpool's boycott of The Sun? They reported the "facts" the authorities at the time were releasing? Do they get the benefit of the doubt now?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

quote:

The fact that the ambulance service also altered statements from staff is revealed for the first time. The evidence shows "conclusively" that Liverpool fans "neither caused nor contributed to the deaths" and shows the extent to which attempts, endorsed by the SYP chief constable Peter Wright, were made to smear them.
The more I read of this the more it disgusts me.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Does this have any effect on Liverpool's boycott of The Sun? They reported the "facts" the authorities at the time were releasing? Do they get the benefit of the doubt now?

What? No

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

What I want to know is...

Er, loving no I hope not. The Sun was more than happy to sensationalise it and make the fans look like murderers.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

No. Journalists should hold themselves to a higher standard than "simply regurgitate whatever the powers at be say" and are supposed to serve as a guard against the kind of slander and outright cover up that occurred after Hillsborough, not to be complicit in it.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Besides didn't the Sun print outright lies about fans pissing on dead bodies and other loving abominations?

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

Ninpo posted:

Besides didn't the Sun print outright lies about fans pissing on dead bodies and other loving abominations?

That's the one

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
BBC Live Text here
Guardian's here

Press conference at 13.30 BST
(15 minutes or so)

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Ninpo posted:

Yeah can we move on from that retarded loving question and talk about actual facts the inquest uncovered.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
e: just saw that finn

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Cameron was just asked outright about sanctions against The Sun and waved the question away, 'The Leveson inquiry has been dealing quite separately...' which is a meaningless bit of nothing. The PCC is toothless, and it's well outside Leveson's powers to do anything at this point.

I'm loving amazed the phone hacking was even looked into or anything at all done about it, I very much doubt MacKenzie will see anything resembling consequences.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

atomic gog posted:

Yeah, it's horrible.

The Independent had a story about some of the alterations today:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...me-8126233.html

What the gently caress.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
So so awful.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
This is absolutely astonishing. I'm gobsmacked

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I wonder if the Attourney General will start another inquest and whether there will be prosecutions. I can't imagine there not being one really with whats come out

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
"59 out of 96 could have survived", has anyone seen an official quote on this?

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19570810

Cameron just saying "sorry" over and over again.

EDIT: well done to the man who demanded a front page headline apology from the Sun

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its in the high courts hands to quash the original inquest verdicts. Unless they do that no-one can be prosecuted.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Chief Constable Peter Wright "considered that 'blame' should be directed towards 'drunken ticketless individuals'" and every effort made to exonerate the police force.

Borogrove
Apr 12, 2008

The police ran blood alcohol content tests on survivors without their consent. If the tests came back negative
, which they did in the vast majority of cases, the police then ran criminal record checks.

The police prevented 40 ambulances entering the ground because they thought the fans were fighting.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

Popehoist posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19570810

Cameron just saying "sorry" over and over again.

EDIT: well done to the man who demanded a front page headline apology from the Sun

Didn't they already do that but then Kelvin Mckenzie came out afterwards and said he wasn't sorry at all.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

From what it sounds like in the leaks so far there has been lots of fabrication of evidence and hopefully we will get some prosecutions out of this.

Reminder that the police never get punished for anything

Daveman23
Aug 4, 2003

DickEmery posted:

"59 out of 96 could have survived", has anyone seen an official quote on this?

From David Cameron's statement:

Third, and perhaps most significantly of all, the Bishop of Liverpool's report
presents new evidence which casts significant doubt over the adequacy of the
original Inquest.
The Coroner - on the advice of pathologists - believed that victims suffered
traumatic asphyxia leading to unconsciousness within seconds and death within a
few minutes.
As a result he asserted that beyond 3.15pm there were no actions that could
have changed the fate of the victims and he limited the scope of the Inquest
accordingly.
But by analysing post mortem reports the Panel have found that 28 did not have
obstruction of blood circulation and 31 had evidence of heart and lungs
continuing to function after the crush.
This means that individuals in those groups could have had potentially
reversible asphyxia beyond 3.15pm in contrast to the findings of the Coroner and
a subsequent Judicial Review.
And the Panel states clearly that "it is highly likely that what happened to
those individuals after 3.15pm was significant" in determining whether they
died.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Blue Screen Error posted:

Reminder that the police never get punished for anything

Most of the officers involved are no longer in the force and thus will get bum raped.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
As an American that's read about Hillsborough and has a rough idea of events up until now, I feel like I'm missing some context. Can someone explain why there was such an effort to cover up the facts? Is it merely as simple as dodgy officials trying to cover their own asses, or - as the mention of Thatcher's name indicates - are there elements of class here, as well?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Borogrove posted:

The police ran blood alcohol content tests on survivors without their consent. If the tests came back negative
, which they did in the vast majority of cases, the police then ran criminal record checks.

The police prevented 40 ambulances entering the ground because they thought the fans were fighting.

The Coroner took blood alcohol levels from all of the deceased
including children.

Jesus Christ

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Shitshow posted:

As an American that's read about Hillsborough and has a rough idea of events up until now, I feel like I'm missing some context. Can someone explain why there was such an effort to cover up the facts? Is it merely as simple as dodgy officials trying to cover their own asses, or - as the mention of Thatcher's name indicates - are there elements of class here, as well?

Football fans back then were all considered hooligan scum* (we had a big hooliganism problem for years prior to Hillsborough) so it's a pretty safe assumption that the police at the time considered 96 too few.

*by the authorities, non football enjoying folk in general

e: clarification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The fact that it took 23 years for us to get this report is a complete disgrace.

• Locked thread