Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Buck Turgidson posted:

I've been meaning to ask: did they tweak lost izalith at all in the dlc release/patch?

Still a shithole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Here's a relevant Manus Catalyst video.

You're going to need more strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa7ug5Nugkg&feature=channel&list=UL

Yeah... I'm gonna need more strength. I've done some tests, on the plant monsters in the garden, in NG+. I have 40 str and 16 int. With the Oolacile Ivory Catalyst, Dark Orb does 213 damage to them. With the Manus Catalyst, it does 195 damage. Melee attacking with the Manus Catalyst does 220 damage to them. :v:

I wonder what the breakpoint will be that will make the Manus Catalyst overcome the much higher mag adj on the OIC. Either way, so far the numbers are disappointing and make the meager intelligence investment not really worth it. Oh well, figured it was worth experiment with.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah... I'm gonna need more strength. I've done some tests, on the plant monsters in the garden, in NG+. I have 40 str and 16 int. With the Oolacile Ivory Catalyst, Dark Orb does 213 damage to them. With the Manus Catalyst, it does 195 damage. Melee attacking with the Manus Catalyst does 220 damage to them. :v:

I wonder what the breakpoint will be that will make the Manus Catalyst overcome the much higher mag adj on the OIC. Either way, so far the numbers are disappointing and make the meager intelligence investment not really worth it. Oh well, figured it was worth experiment with.

16 int is way too low for TCC/Manus. http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Magic+Adjustment so I'd say get it to 23-24.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I appreciate it at least, since I was planning on giving it a shot with 40 strength/16 intelligence myself. Guess either I'll snag a better catalyst or forget about it.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Any cool bro around 55 want to help out at 4 kings? Never really had issues with them like this time.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

TheDuke posted:

Any cool bro around 55 want to help out at 4 kings? Never really had issues with them like this time.

I'm at SL70 so I -should- be able to help. Add me at http://steamcommunity.com/id/kaubocks and we can avoid clutter in the thread.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KaneTW posted:

16 int is way too low for TCC/Manus. http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Magic+Adjustment so I'd say get it to 23-24.

Hmm, to put 8 more levels into intelligence or not... I'm already level 80. Oh well, I'm on NG+, I guess at this point, level management is a non-issue. I'm never going to find anyone for sunbroing and everyone will more or less be able to invade me now anyways, right?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Well I've thoroughly embarassed myself by dying within the first 10 seconds of fighting Smorg and Borg twice now. Complacency at being level 71 is not a good thing!

edit: 3 times. I don't remember having any trouble with them before!

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 16, 2012

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Hmm, to put 8 more levels into intelligence or not... I'm already level 80. Oh well, I'm on NG+, I guess at this point, level management is a non-issue. I'm never going to find anyone for sunbroing and everyone will more or less be able to invade me now anyways, right?

You'll still find a reasonable amount of coop as a sunbro since that extends the level range a bit. I helped dudes with artorias a couple times the other day on my 80 dude. Your only real pvp option is to join the darkmoon.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Kaubocks posted:

I'm at SL70 so I -should- be able to help. Add me at http://steamcommunity.com/id/kaubocks and we can avoid clutter in the thread.

Done! Thanks a lot!

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

tractor fanatic posted:

What's the deal with the Four King's homing projectile when there are summons? Whenever I sunbro there and they shoot it, it just seems to orbit around randomly, never seeming to target anybody. I figured I'd just ignore it once and then it killed me while I was hitting the boss. Does it target whoever hit the king last or something?

It's a full tracking projectile that doesn't go away until it hits something or disappears. I have no clue how long it takes to finally dissipate but I wanna say it's more than 10 seconds at the very least. It's one of the reasons why fighting them at long to medium range is such a dangerous proposition, besides taking the full brunt of the sword of course.

Yea once it's out your better of running past it towards whatever King is closest and then block it, so they don't throw it out again.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It's a full tracking projectile that doesn't go away until it hits something or disappears. I have no clue how long it takes to finally dissipate but I wanna say it's more than 10 seconds at the very least. It's one of the reasons why fighting them at long to medium range is such a dangerous proposition, besides taking the full brunt of the sword of course.

Yea once it's out your better of running past it towards whatever King is closest and then block it, so they don't throw it out again.
The worst thing about that projectile is that I have no sense of range or anything in that empty black abyss, and I can never actually tell where it is or how far it is from me. I don't think I have ever once actually dodged it, only blocked it. Which obviously won't be an option for my no-shield character...

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

Well I've thoroughly embarassed myself by dying within the first 10 seconds of fighting Smorg and Borg twice now. Complacency at being level 71 is not a good thing!

edit: 3 times. I don't remember having any trouble with them before!

As someone who Sunbros O+S a lot, let me tell you, you would not believe how often you can hear your host go "Arrgg!" and slam the ground from Ornstein's charge attack before you can even get through the fog door.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think it is possible to dodge it. Even when the kings throw it in the completely wrong direction, the drat thing sloooooowly loops back around, clipping through the "floor" and just slamming into you while you're busy with the king's other attacks. If it does disappear it takes ages to and you'd have to be really focused on dodging it to not be hit, which just isn't possible in a fight that is essentially on a time limit.

VVVV I think you're plan should just be to use a shield for that attack alone. Yeah you're doing a no shield run but the 4 kings is a lovely boss, you shouldn't feel bad about bending the rules to deal with their crap.

The only alternative I can think of is just hoping they decide not to do it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 16, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think it is possible to dodge it. Even when the kings throw it in the completely wrong direction, the drat thing sloooooowly loops back around, clipping through the "floor" and just slamming into you while your busy with the king's other attacks. If it does disappear it takes ages to do and you'd have to be really focused on dodging it to not be hit, which just isn't possible in a fight that is essentially on a time limit.
Well, it one-shot me while I was wearing Havel's armor, so I guess I need to think up some other plan entirely for dealing with it. I wonder if that anti-magic ring would work? I haven't bought it yet.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If it's the magic defense ring from the merchant in Sens it'll take off about 20-30 points of damage off the projectile. So no, that won't do poo poo against it.

Your best bets to survive it are probably Magic Barrier or summoning Beatrice so you can run past her and she takes the hit for you.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Does anyone ever use the red soapstone except in the kiln? I saw a red name there once. Does it only work if both players haven't beaten the boss?

How do you betray the darkwraiths? The wiki says if you gently caress up they won't sell you any more red stones but they don't say what pisses them off.

For 4 kings: if he throws a projectile just run at it, shield up, and eat it. If you let it pass, it'll find you again, probably just after you get hit from his sword killing you.

With only 10 vitality and havel's armor and a shield it took less than half my life, but getting hit with the point of that sword at the same time was enough to kill me.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Sending out the bag signal again this time to get help cutting off seaths tail, I don't even care about killing him. My HOTTEST TRICKS do about 80 damage a swing to it on the initial run then I can hardly get to it again. Still SL25.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone else disappointed that the weapons you get from chopping off tails aren't the tail themselves? When I heard about that I thought I could go around whipping people with a severed dragon tail. Was very let down when it turned out to be a lovely axe.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Considering two of the best weapons in the game come from tails, and the one you just mentioned has a useful move, no I really don't want to swing an actual dragon tail.

Just use the Gargoyle Axe or the Dragon Tooth if you're into that sort of thing.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
There really should have been a whip that was a slender dragon's tail. I want to Belmont my way through the game and it's disappointing that it's basically impossible.

edit: I know that there are whips in the game, for the record, but they're both awful and if I'm not mistaken neither are toward the beginning.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

There really should have been a whip that was a slender dragon's tail. I want to Belmont my way through the game and it's disappointing that it's basically impossible.

edit: I know that there are whips in the game, for the record, but they're both awful and if I'm not mistaken neither are toward the beginning.

Upgrading it all the way to the flame whip looks kind of boss.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Just started the DLC a boy howdy Artorias was a fun fight. So far the DLC seems to be pretty good quality overall. Got a little ways into the Township before I got smoked by some magic from behind. About how long is the DLC, anyway? I'm nearing 60 hours played on this game and I haven't even finished my first character. It's been a long time since I've been able to say that about a game, let alone play one that held my interest for so long.

TheDuke posted:

Done! Thanks a lot!

No problem, man! Still think it's weird that the third king managed to one-shot you out of nowhere with a sword swing. I've never seen it do that much damage before. At least it didn't take us long to reconnect and we got it the second time! :V

drink slurm
Feb 18, 2010

Anime and Weed, what else do you need?

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You get a scorpion looking tail whip in the dlc... If you cut off a tail!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

drink slurm posted:

You get a scorpion looking tail whip in the dlc... If you cut off a tail!

gently caress, seriously? Kalameet, right? I didn't even think to go for the tail.

edit: Oh man, it's actually the Sanctuary Guardian. Didn't think of that one, either.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I'm SL 24 trying to get a little help for the Gaping Dragon but I haven't seen any signs at all other than the two NPCs. Am I way below the normal SL in the depths, or is this place generally this dead on PC?

I suppose I could just suck it up and brute force him (had him down to 10% three times but got greedy each time and died) but it'd be nice to have a little help that doesn't die right at the start of the fight.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ImpactVector posted:

I'm SL 24 trying to get a little help for the Gaping Dragon but I haven't seen any signs at all other than the two NPCs. Am I way below the normal SL in the depths, or is this place generally this dead on PC?

I suppose I could just suck it up and brute force him (had him down to 10% three times but got greedy each time and died) but it'd be nice to have a little help that doesn't die right at the start of the fight.

I sunbro'd for Gaping Dragon maybe about 5 times today. This was before noon PST. Seemed very populated. I was SL 25 on the dot.

I'd help but I won't be home for hours.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

Just started the DLC a boy howdy Artorias was a fun fight. So far the DLC seems to be pretty good quality overall. Got a little ways into the Township before I got smoked by some magic from behind. About how long is the DLC, anyway? I'm nearing 60 hours played on this game and I haven't even finished my first character. It's been a long time since I've been able to say that about a game, let alone play one that held my interest for so long.

No problem, man! Still think it's weird that the third king managed to one-shot you out of nowhere with a sword swing. I've never seen it do that much damage before. At least it didn't take us long to reconnect and we got it the second time! :V

The DLC is probably 4 -6 hours long depending on whether the bosses hand you your rear end. It's only a couple of areas, three if you stretch it, but they're all well-made.

And funny enough, the Greatshield of Artorias simplified that boss fight a great deal on NG+. His stamina destroying attacks weren't quite so destroying anymore and I could afford to absorb all his blows. Even when he got a hulk-out in he couldn't do much against that shield.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Perfect Potato posted:

And funny enough, the Greatshield of Artorias simplified that boss fight a great deal on NG+. His stamina destroying attacks weren't quite so destroying anymore and I could afford to absorb all his blows. Even when he got a hulk-out in he couldn't do much against that shield.
Oh. Maybe that's why it only took me about four tries. I heard a lot of people were having trouble with the fight but he never managed to break past my Greatshield. It's definitely a good thing to bring along if you're getting rocked by him.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I sunbro'd for Gaping Dragon maybe about 5 times today. This was before noon PST. Seemed very populated. I was SL 25 on the dot.

I'd help but I won't be home for hours.
Ha, and of course 2 minutes after I post I find a couple signs. Thanks for confirming I'm about the right SL though.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's a guide to SLs in the OP that has been pretty accurate in my experience.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Shima Honnou posted:

As someone who Sunbros O+S a lot, let me tell you, you would not believe how often you can hear your host go "Arrgg!" and slam the ground from Ornstein's charge attack before you can even get through the fog door.

Oh, I wouldn't actually have minded if it was just me by myself getting pounded into the dirt, but this was me trying to sunbro and help some other guys out only to flail around uselessly and poof out of existence nearly immediately.

I could practically picture the host going "Oh well that sure was a worthwhile use of humanity".

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Invading someone and managing to dodge them for a nice backstab only to find out they're a hacker with infinite health and endurance is very disappointing.

E: I keep invading the same guy. He's just waiting by the fog gate of the Demon Ruins so he can kill invaders.

Aand just invaded him again. Done invading for the night. He doesn't have the five minute timer against invaders too.

gay devil fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 16, 2012

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

Aand just invaded him again. Done invading for the night. He doesn't have the five minute timer against invaders too.

There is a item that resets that.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Think I'll do some WRAITHIN' for a bit http://www.twitch.tv/gazaar come czech it out brah.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
gently caress YEAH SUCK MY DICK FOREVER YOU ANIME LIGHTNING GUY gently caress

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Average Bear posted:

This should say YOU DEFEATED. :colbert:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Average Bear posted:

I pretty much made this exact post when I beat them, only with Smough instead of Orn.

Now eat his soul. Making an item from it isn't as satisfying as completely destroying him forever.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Doesn't affect those messages, but I don't think anyone has posted this: if you aren't using a font mod you are a crazy person.

I got all of these from /r/darksoulsmods:
http://imgur.com/a/acer0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmtq26ojcw9ukn6/DarkSouls_PoE_Font_Mod.rar

http://www.abload.de/img/fontelpjbl.jpg
http://www.sendspace.com/file/00a32n

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/Brumbek/Dark%2520Souls/DS_Font_Replace_Comp.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105519679/DarkSouls_HQ_Kingthings_Font_Replacer_v01.7z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I made sure to throw poo poo at him until he slowly died of poo poo poisoning, too. Just because a sword to the cock was NOT enough.

• Locked thread