Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

...and they all pretend they're orphans, and their memory's like a train

3 Tablets Daily posted:

This is meaningless. You might as well be saying "Leave in a way such that those bad things you said would happen, don't happen."

I think, deciphering the glyphs, that he meant gradually pulling out? Sure, there was no time table, but the idea is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

3 Tablets Daily posted:

This is meaningless. You might as well be saying "Leave in a way such that those bad things you said would happen, don't happen."

It's only meaningless if what you predicted actually has meaning. Which, given that you're both just guys on the internet, it doesn't.

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747
^^^This man has singlehandedly ended internet debating forever. Time to pack it in guys.

HMDK posted:

I think, deciphering the glyphs, that he meant gradually pulling out? Sure, there was no time table, but the idea is there.

I'd say that the withdrawal from Iraq (from mission accomplished to full withdrawal) is about as slow as it gets and it isn't pretty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_insurgency_%28post_U.S._withdrawal%29

3 Tablets Daily fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 16, 2012

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

az jan jananam posted:

Muslim fundamentalism is not, at it's core, anti-American. The cases of Libya, Syria, and Afghanistan are ones in which Muslim fundamentalists are willing to make implicit or explicit military alliances with the United States and other jahili states like Turkey. The central target of Muslim fundamentalists is not America, it is Muslims who practice under doctrinal differences, liberals, leftists, and all the others who embrace modernity, women who refuse the hijab, girls who want to get educated and seek an equal status with their male peers, religious minorities, and so on. Here's what the real destruction of fundamentalist militias looked like in the last year, historic Sufi shrines in Tripoli and Timbuktu torn down because they were deemed "deviant" to proper Islamic practice:
Yes, but the boogeyman of the United States is used plentifully to get new recruits and support. Boogeyman which could be eroded if the U.S. didn't have such an open stance in the Middle East i think. It would be better to give support for moderates, leftists, liberals and feminists (or at least pro-women's rights) than do what is being done right now.

CeeJee posted:

What makes you think the Israeli and Saudi regimes would collapse if the US would stop supporting them ? Saudi Arabia is insanely wealthy and can easily get anything the US sold them somewhere else with a lot less strings attached. Israel would lose a few percent of its economy but it's not like they were defenseless in 1967 when the US was supplying their enemies with weapons.

Also note how the US backed Mubarak and the Shah were overthrown relatively easily while the non-US backed Gadaffi and Assad plunged their nations into total civil war.
...okay? This only furthers the point that the U.S. could leave the Middle East without the entire area exploding.

3 Tablets Daily posted:

And you're saying that the U.S. should keep on trucking in the Middle East, because they're the only thing that maintains peace and stability, which is questionable at best.

HMDK posted:

deciphering the glyphs
Is my English that bad? :saddowns:

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

3 Tablets Daily posted:

I'd say that the withdrawal from Iraq (from mission accomplished to full withdrawal) is about as slow as it gets and it isn't pretty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_insurgency_%28post_U.S._withdrawal%29

Maybe invading was bad?

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

Mans posted:

Is my English that bad? :saddowns:

I hope not! 'Cause I'm not a native English speaker myself!

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

HMDK posted:

Maybe invading was bad?
Yeah, it might not have been a good idea to create a power vacuum in a religiously and ethnically divided region.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

3 Tablets Daily posted:

Yeah, it might not have been a good idea to create a power vacuum in a religiously and ethnically divided region.

So what do we do now?

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Sober up and pay the bills, I suppose?

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

3 Tablets Daily posted:

And, therefore, if the U.S. pulls out of.... it will lead to increased MURDERDEATH in.... In other words: The U.S. invades Iraq, maybe on bad intel, but hey, they "win", and then they have to stay forever. Because if not, they'll have to stay everywhere else. And the U.S. is the only power in the vacuum of outer sp... I mean the world, I mean, wait? What is your cheap point?

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

3 Tablets Daily posted:

Sober up and pay the bills, I suppose?

That would include getting out, no one wants a drunk to overstay his welcome.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I hadn't realised that attack on Camp Bastion last Friday had done so much damage :stare:

quote:

KABUL, Afghanistan (Sept. 16, 2012) — Following the 14 September attack at Camp Bastion, in which two Coalition service members were killed when insurgents attacked the base’s airfield, the International Security Assistance Force provides the following additional details. Because it is still early in the investigation of this attack, this information is subject to change as new details become available:

The attack commenced just after 10 p.m. when approximately 15 insurgents executed a well-coordinated attack against the airfield on Camp Bastion. The insurgents, organized into three teams, penetrated at one point of the perimeter fence.

The insurgents appeared to be well equipped, trained and rehearsed.

Dressed in U.S. Army uniforms and armed with automatic rifles, rocket propelled grenade launchers and suicide vests, the insurgents attacked Coalition fixed and rotary wing aircraft parked on the flight line, aircraft hangars and other buildings.

Six Coalition AV-8B Harrier jets were destroyed and two were significantly damaged. Three Coalition refueling stations were also destroyed. Six soft-skin aircraft hangars were damaged to some degree.

Coalition forces engaged the insurgents, killing 14 and wounding one who was taken into custody. In addition to the two Coalition service members that were killed, nine Coalition personnel – eight military and one civilian contractor – were wounded in the attack. None of their injuries are considered life-threatening.

Wired has more detail:

quote:

The Harriers reportedly belonged to Marine Attack Squadron 211, based in Yuma, Arizona. VMA-211 had shifted its Harrier jump jets to Bastion from nearby Kandahar in July, in order to better support the British troops and Marines operating from Bastion. Harrier squadrons typically deploy with 10 jets, meaning all but two of VMA-211′s planes are now out of action. Despite this, ISAF unconvincingly insisted there would be “no impact to ground or air operations from Camp Bastion.”

Startlingly, the six destroyed Harriers represent no less than 1/15th of the Marines’ entire inventory of the versatile, vertical-landing jets. The F-35B version of the stealthy Joint Strike Fighter is slated to replace the Harrier over the next 15 years.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

az jan jananam posted:

Muslim fundamentalism stuff.

Pardon me for asking but are the sectarian conflicts in North Africa and the Middle East solely due to religious differences? I guess the cynic in me wants to know if there are parties involved in encouraging hard line fundamentalists in order to further their own agenda.

I guess my question is if the regressives don't truly have the support of the people why do they still continue to exist? Does the intrusion of Western powers into Middle Eastern affairs (along with the region's rich history of autocratic regimes) prevent more moderate or progressive governments from forming and solidifying power in order to combat these regressive elements?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Eej posted:

Pardon me for asking but are the sectarian conflicts in North Africa and the Middle East solely due to religious differences? I guess the cynic in me wants to know if there are parties involved in encouraging hard line fundamentalists in order to further their own agenda.

I guess my question is if the regressives don't truly have the support of the people why do they still continue to exist? Does the intrusion of Western powers into Middle Eastern affairs (along with the region's rich history of autocratic regimes) prevent more moderate or progressive governments from forming and solidifying power in order to combat these regressive elements?

Unfortunately it doesn't take a very large number of them to cause significant damage and harm, especially with the availability of guns and ordinance these days. Right now, no one faction, even the ones we support in the regions, are strong enough to take control unilaterally.

This kind of situation has occurred a lot in human history. When you have several factions all with roughly the same capabilities, it's almost inevitable they fight it out for control, based on whatever ideology they hold.

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

Eej posted:

"Movements" of any type can exist without broad support forever. I'm just curious about the fact that the U.S. has been involved in the Mid East for decades... and has next to nothing to show for it. It's a money pit for them. Or a corpse pit. But still... Why?

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

HMDK posted:

And, therefore, if the U.S. pulls out of.... it will lead to increased MURDERDEATH in.... In other words: The U.S. invades Iraq, maybe on bad intel, but hey, they "win", and then they have to stay forever. Because if not, they'll have to stay everywhere else. And the U.S. is the only power in the vacuum of outer sp... I mean the world, I mean, wait? What is your cheap point?

My cheap point was that if the US, or more broadly, any country providing substantial financial, and material backing to unpopular middle east dictatorships, were to just drop everything and leave. Things would get a lot worse--ethnic cleansing, sectarian violence, etc--before they got better.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

Probably once a week, either that or I'm part of some giant media conspiracy and I'm secretly working for the Guardian. Most of them aren't dumb enough to bring it to Twitter though, with nearly 2k followers there's usually a few people who take umbrage to those accusation.

I'm like the Ricky Gervais of Syria blogging.

Syrian blogging seems like a rather dangerous occupation.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

I hadn't realised that attack on Camp Bastion last Friday had done so much damage :stare:

Wired has more detail:

Jesus. I've never heard of anyone getting inside an airbase and damaging aircraft before. Even a forward air base like this.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 16, 2012

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

3 Tablets Daily posted:

My cheap point was that if the US, or more broadly, any country providing substantial financial, and material backing to unpopular middle east dictatorships, were to just drop everything and leave. Things would get a lot worse--ethnic cleansing, sectarian violence, etc--before they got better.

You do know there are other choices that military presence?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Young Freud posted:

Jesus. I've never heard of anyone getting inside an airbase and damaging aircraft before. Even a forward air base like this.

Happened quite frequently during the Soviet-Afghan War in the '80s. Also happened fairly frequently during Vietnam, and both of those wars featured incursions at major airbases, like Bagram equivalents (in the case of the Soviets, some of those probably did occur at Bagram). While indirect fire has been a thing both in Afghanistan this time around and in Iraq, I'm having trouble remembering anything like this happening before in either war, although I'm honestly surprised it hasn't before.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

iyaayas01 posted:

Happened quite frequently during the Soviet-Afghan War in the '80s. Also happened fairly frequently during Vietnam, and both of those wars featured incursions at major airbases, like Bagram equivalents (in the case of the Soviets, some of those probably did occur at Bagram). While indirect fire has been a thing both in Afghanistan this time around and in Iraq, I'm having trouble remembering anything like this happening before in either war, although I'm honestly surprised it hasn't before.

The closest I can find was the Japanese banzai charge for Airfield No. 2 at Iwo Jima during World War 2, which was pretty much the last major action on the island. I'm not sure if they damaged any planes there.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Brown Moses posted:

Probably once a week, either that or I'm part of some giant media conspiracy and I'm secretly working for the Guardian. Most of them aren't dumb enough to bring it to Twitter though, with nearly 2k followers there's usually a few people who take umbrage to those accusation.

I'm like the Ricky Gervais of Syria blogging.

I uncovered Brown Moses.

Despite repeated claims, he does not live in the UK. He is hiding out in Chicago.

I even took a picture to prove this:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This video supposedly shows Amb. Stevens body being taking out of the consulate in Benghazi. It would be interesting if anyone who knew Arabic could translate anything interesting that was being said. They seem to be dragging his body out of the building and very happy about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMSnyOMRXos
[edit] They apparently are happy because they think he's alive?

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 16, 2012

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Brown is a dark color. Darkness lies in the shadows. Hence: http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Moses_Incident

Brown Moses is Big Boss and he is tweeting from Zanzibar Land while preparing his Metal Gears.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Brown Moses posted:

This video supposedly shows Amb. Stevens body being taking out of the consulate in Benghazi. It would be interesting if anyone who knew Arabic could translate anything interesting that was being said. They seem to be dragging his body out of the building and very happy about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMSnyOMRXos

I'm rather scare of finding out what they are saying =(

e: VV

Thank god. That can't be Amb. Stevens then though...?

e2: VVV

Oh, you're probably right I don't know the details of the attack very well.
Well then this video, while very tragic, is heartwarming.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 16, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Myrdhale posted:

I'm rather scare of finding out what hey are saying =(

Apparently it's actually "yay, he's alive", not "yay, we killed him".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Myrdhale posted:

I'm rather scare of finding out what hey are saying =(

e: VVVVV

Thank god. That can't be Amb. Stevens then though...?

I think he was alive when they were bringing him to the hospital. Didn't he die from smoke inhalation later on?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Photos of this small girl have been circulating today, decapitated in an explosion, extremely :nws: :nms: http://t.co/wE71sfdZ

I don't think I've seen a single day where I haven't seen a new picture or video of a dead or dying child in Syria. I'll be glad when that's over.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The title of the video reads "The American Ambassador and Benghazi citizens' attempts to save him before his death". Most of the people were saying "He's alive!", "Get out of the way/Make way!" and "Thank god". So yeah, they thought they saved and avoided this whole mess, but unfortunately, it didn't pan out that way...

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

Photos of this small girl have been circulating today, decapitated in an explosion, extremely :nws: :nms: http://t.co/wE71sfdZ

I don't think I've seen a single day where I haven't seen a new picture or video of a dead or dying child in Syria. I'll be glad when that's over.

I just hope the war ends before they run out of people to kill. :sigh:

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

HMDK posted:

You do know there are other choices that military presence?

What do you mean by this? Humanitarian aid?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Young Freud posted:

The closest I can find was the Japanese banzai charge for Airfield No. 2 at Iwo Jima during World War 2, which was pretty much the last major action on the island. I'm not sure if they damaged any planes there.

Here's a RAND report on the subject...it only covers Vietnam. I may have overstated how often they occurred, and indirect fire attacks were definitely more effective, but sapper/penetrating type attacks definitely did occur both in Vietnam and Thailand during the war.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Wired has more detail:

Thank goodness the prince was never in danger! :allears:

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

Red7 posted:

What do you mean by this? Humanitarian aid?
Well, for one thing. Just don't suck at it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the Black Brigade formation video from Deir Ez Zor, with black flags aplenty. Guessing they aren't fans of Henry Rollins early musical career
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq_-m8Vl6rI

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

HMDK posted:

Well, for one thing. Just don't suck at it.

Any government led humanitarian aid in some of those countries is going to involve a military presence. Its a trend that even the NGOs, who back in the 80s and early 90s could move relatively freely are being forced into defensive compounds - hell they were even targeting NGOs workers in Kabul.

Its so easy to say just do this, but when you actually get out there and start doing it its a whole lot more complex.

iyaayas01 posted:

There has been cases in the past in Afghanistan of them attempting complex small arms/SIED attacks against airfields, but AFAIK they have never penetrated so far as to threaten aircraft directly. Its pretty clear from the size of the attack, the use of uniforms and the target itself that this was a big deal and something that had been in the planning stages for a while - not thrown together a week after they found out Harry was there.

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

Red7 posted:

Any government led humanitarian aid in some of those countries is going to involve a military presence. Its a trend that even the NGOs, who back in the 80s and early 90s could move relatively freely are being forced into defensive compounds - hell they were even targeting NGOs workers in Kabul.

Why? I mean, why do you think that is?

Red7
Sep 10, 2008
Because they're associated with the West and America. It was 3 UN aid workers who were killed by a mob in Mazar-i-Sharif after Terry Jones burnt his Koran - they didn't have a military presence at all.

I know what you're getting at, that wouldn't be case if the US weren't seen as the devil in the Middle East - but they are and any solutions or alternatives need to take that into account.

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

Red7 posted:

Because they're associated with the West and America. It was 3 UN aid workers who were killed by a mob in Mazar-i-Sharif after Terry Jones burnt his Koran - they didn't have a military presence at all.

I know what you're getting at, that wouldn't be case if the US weren't seen as the devil in the Middle East - but they are and any solutions or alternatives need to take that into account.

Which is what I'm asking you to do. Take poo poo into account. The middle east isn't monolithic in any sense, neither are the ammassed peoples of it anti U.S.
poo poo, some people lump Turkey and Morocco together. (Not accusing you of that, though, I'm just saying that this is the usual geographic and ethnic idiocy that I'm used to hearing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red7
Sep 10, 2008
I've no doubt, but you only need a 100 or so blokes to get whipped up into a frenzy by a firebrand Mullah and your days ruined, how ruined it is is dependent on how screwed up the country is and/or the level of penetration by radical Islam.

Unless you literally remove every Westerner associated with Western governments, there is always going to be a need for a (para)military presence in the region - even if that is provided by the host government in the more stable states.

• Locked thread