Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ben Solo posted:

Personally, I loved Rifftrax's treatment of the film. Though I've had to watch the film many times over in the course of this project, Thursday night was like seeing 'Manos' through fresh eyes. The baggage carried by the old jokes quickly fell away and we were back to enjoying it as the truly perplexing film discovery that it is.

Though it wasn't the restoration, if you went to the screening you saw a transfer of an honest-to-god vintage print with character, true to what you might have experienced in a 1966 Texan drive-in. As prints for this title are extremely scarce (I only know of three in existence) I'm glad things worked out to begin with.

By the way, here's a peek at the trio of shirts that'll be available for pre-order starting this week. I had a limited quantity of these printed for the El Paso showing as a special treat and was happy to see so much positive feedback. Hope you'll like them- any suggestions or comments are welcome before they go public.

The much-requested "Hands" T-shirt. Believe me, I looked into making a snuggie and it just wasn't as cost-effective.

A modified Torgo shirt (without the 'Restoration Team' text) for those who missed out the first time around. Excising the text gave us room for a larger graphic and the underlying shirt has been changed from 'Tan' to 'Old Gold'.

All proceeds from the above shirts will support the printing of a new preservation negative. Finally:

The Master himself, authorized by the Master himself! "Sinister" isn't descriptive enough: the image on this one is huge and extremely impressive.

Proceeds from the 'Master' shirt will go straight to Jackey Neyman Jones (Debbie) and Tom Neyman (The Master). It'll be the first profit of any kind they have seen from this film.

I'll take a hands & Master shirt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Does anyone remember the MST3k Summer Blockbuster review? It might have been the second one, if there was more than one, it had Men in Black and Batman and Robin, the Fifth Element, etc. The segment of them not showing Pearl George Clooney and instead clips of Ruby Rhod, aliens and the weird running guy was one of my earlier favorite bits, and one of the reasons it was one of the few episodes I managed to tape.

But anyway, that was one of the first times I thought "MST3K would be cool even if they did modern and/or good movies". While I still genuinely think that, in hindsight years later I did consider that a better movie and certain kinds of films might not give a whole lot to riff about that wasn't extremely referential.

But then again, some really bad films didn't even give a whole lot to work with even though they were terrible. Monster-a-go go was horrific and dull to the point where the writers were really struggling to save it, and it had none of the awkward 'charm' of Manos to help it.

So I don't know. I guess I'll have to dig into the Rifftrax vault to see for myself. What's a good place to start, anyway?

Frozen-Solid posted:

The Lord of the Rings was more focused on Elrond being Mr. Anderson.

To be fair, that was all we could joke about when my friends and I saw LotR as well.

Ben Solo posted:

Motherfuckin' shirts.

Oh, yes. Those shirts look great, I can't even decide which one I want more. I was heartbroken to be rendered totally broke for the duration of the kickstarter, so now I can make up for it with this.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Ben Solo posted:

By the way, here's a peek at the trio of shirts that'll be available for pre-order starting this week. I had a limited quantity of these printed for the El Paso showing as a special treat and was happy to see so much positive feedback. Hope you'll like them- any suggestions or comments are welcome before they go public.

The much-requested "Hands" T-shirt. Believe me, I looked into making a snuggie and it just wasn't as cost-effective.

Whoa. This is awesome.

My only worry would be about placement of the design for women. If the palms are right in the middle of the chest, the thumbs will be cut off and it'll look like a bunch of stripes.

(Quick mock-up because I'm having trouble describing it with words.)

Which still looks cool, but seeing the hands would be even better.

No matter what, it's an awesome design and I can't wait to buy it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Midnight Raider posted:

Does anyone remember the MST3k Summer Blockbuster review? It might have been the second one, if there was more than one, it had Men in Black and Batman and Robin, the Fifth Element, etc. The segment of them not showing Pearl George Clooney and instead clips of Ruby Rhod, aliens and the weird running guy was one of my earlier favorite bits, and one of the reasons it was one of the few episodes I managed to tape.

This is getting off-topic but they also did an Oscar special in early 1998, riffing on Titanic, Good Will Hunting, As Good As It Gets, etc., as well as Starship Troopers, their pick to win Best Picture despite its inconvenient lack of a nomination in said category.

Obviously some movies gave them more to work with than others- Titanic was easy because there's so much going on, etc.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

hyperhazard posted:

Whoa. This is awesome.

My only worry would be about placement of the design for women. If the palms are right in the middle of the chest, the thumbs will be cut off and it'll look like a bunch of stripes.

Alternatively, it might look like the hands are groping you which could be kind of funny in its own way, but not really what I'd like to portray when I'm wearing a Manos shirt.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Olivia42 posted:

Alternatively, it might look like the hands are groping you which could be kind of funny in its own way, but not really what I'd like to portray when I'm wearing a Manos shirt.

It'd be more appropriate if the hands were lightly touching your hair instead :v:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I am still depressed from being broke during the Kickstarter, and while I am still poor, I have to get a shirt or two. They look terrific! Is the Blu-Ray still expected around fall-ish?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Still haven't gotten my shirt and pin here in Belgium :smith:

human snorlax
Apr 20, 2011

the brutality of nature
What I miss most in Rifftrax that MST had was the ancient rear end references to old commercials and sitcoms that were clearly had something to do with Frank Conniff.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

human snorlax posted:

What I miss most in Rifftrax that MST had was the ancient rear end references to old commercials and sitcoms that were clearly had something to do with Frank Conniff.

Stay and have a Quisp with me at the junky table!

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

hyperhazard posted:

Whoa. This is awesome.

Do the hands in pink for breast cancer awareness or something

Demp
Nov 5, 2003

GLORIOUS
That Master shirt is sweet. I missed out on the Kickstarter, so I'll definitely have to get me one of those.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

hyperhazard posted:

Whoa. This is awesome.

Is there any way that we can get a modeled picture of the red hands shirt? If it runs the length of the shirt, like this:

Then it will be perfect. But if it is just centered on the shirt, like this:

Then it might not look as good.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Ben, I don't know the best way to get in touch with you directly, so I just sent you a message through Kickstarter. Thanks very much. The shirts look amazing, by the way.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.
Baby's first fundraising store just went up!

The above t-shirts are now up for pre-order at the store. For the next week, lapel pins are on the house if you combine them with a shirt. Also, look for a not-so-secret discount if you get three shirts or more- perfect for the indecisive!

Wordpress and e-commerce solutions don't always play nice together, so if anything goes horribly wrong just let me know...

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I was just going to post about this. :O

I would def. take some luscious prints of those 2k scans, and/or an art book. Lobby cards?? The pin looks great.

I discovered this thread/project last week and it blew my mind. Very glad you've opened this up to a new audience.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
To get a free pin with a shirt, do you add it in the shopping cart, or will one be automatically sent out with each shirt? For curiosity sake, I went and added a shirt and a pin to see how much shipping was, and the pin price is still a part of the total. Does that get removed upon checkout?

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

To get a free pin with a shirt, do you add it in the shopping cart, or will one be automatically sent out with each shirt? For curiosity sake, I went and added a shirt and a pin to see how much shipping was, and the pin price is still a part of the total. Does that get removed upon checkout?

Don't know why it had that little hiccup. I reapplied the coupon in my system... try it now, a $5 discount should kick in when you add the pin to the cart (actually, this works on any item that brings the total to $25 or more).

Ben Solo fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 3, 2012

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I ordered a Master t-shirt today.

Now I play the waiting game.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!
drat, I wish I had come across this thread sooner. I'm stationed at Fort Bliss, and would have loved to participate in the viewing of the movie. Ug. Oh well.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It looks like there are a couple different versions of Manos on archive.org. Anyone know which is the "good" one? Or should I just wait until the restoration is done and watch that?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

It looks like there are a couple different versions of Manos on archive.org. Anyone know which is the "good" one? Or should I just wait until the restoration is done and watch that?

The last thing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Just caught this on Jackey Raye "Debbie" Neyman Jones' Facebook page:

quote:

I've started a re-creation of my dad's Master painting if anyone is interested in prints. If I get enough interest, I'll get it done.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

There's definitely enough interest from what I've seen. I think it'd be entirely appropriate for it to come from her family.

In related news, there's a strong possibility of signed shirts becoming available soon. And, if things work out, hers won't be the only signature on there...

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Got my shirt and badge today so other contributors in the UK should expect theirs. I must say, the shirt looks smashing. Good colour.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Would love a print too, what facebook or site can you put in for preorders or whatever? I looked her up on facebook but she has 2 different profiles and I would feel weird if I like tried to friend the wrong one or whatever.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

BooDoug187 posted:

Would love a print too, what facebook or site can you put in for preorders or whatever? I looked her up on facebook but she has 2 different profiles and I would feel weird if I like tried to friend the wrong one or whatever.

http://www.facebook.com/jackeyraye

You'll have to scroll through her timeline to find the original post.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I haven't received my shirt and pin yet and I live in Canada.

Should I be worried yet?

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Should I be worried yet?

Check in with me via the Kickstarter site so that I can see your name and check your status. A couple of international backer rewards have unfortunately bounced back to me, and I am in the process of determining why. No worries, though- no orders have been outright 'lost' so far.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Just got my package. Man, that is some quality stuff. Thank you Ben!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Should I be worried yet?

I got mine just a couple of days ago here in Toronto. Worth the wait!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Honestly, I'd be more interested in The Master as a poster than a T shirt.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Speleothing posted:

Honestly, I'd be more interested in The Master as a poster than a T shirt.
Seconded, adding "prints, prints, prints" to the proceedings.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My shirt arrived today. I love it.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord
Got my shirt and pin today in Australia, anyone else around here shouldn't have to wait much longer. Thanks Ben!

I'm also really tempted by the master shirt, going to have to think on it some more.

edit: Just noticed this on facebook in relation to the recreation of the Masters painting:

Joe Neal Warren:
'Jackey. Please PM as we need to talk about this: t-shirts, paintings, etc. I don't want to be the bad guru but all the characters are copyrighted and as such can't be used without permission either by you or by Solevey. By using these characters without permission will cause irreparable harm to my dad's copyright. Please contact me otherwise I have to make my own choices to protect it and all its characters. Ben knows this and has crossed the line and I don't want you to be put in that position. Please PM me. This is serious and could potentially cost a lot of money if you pursue this without asking and covering your butt.'

Is this guy serious?

dihaploidy fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 17, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

dihaploidy posted:

edit: Just noticed this on facebook in relation to the recreation of the Masters painting:

Joe Neal Warren:
'Jackey. Please PM as we need to talk about this: t-shirts, paintings, etc. I don't want to be the bad guru but all the characters are copyrighted and as such can't be used without permission either by you or by Solevey. By using these characters without permission will cause irreparable harm to my dad's copyright. Please contact me otherwise I have to make my own choices to protect it and all its characters. Ben knows this and has crossed the line and I don't want you to be put in that position. Please PM me. This is serious and could potentially cost a lot of money if you pursue this without asking and covering your butt.'

Is this guy serious?

Oh, come on.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I thought the movie was in the public domain, though. I don't think that anyone has any rights to any of it (characters or otherwise). I'm no creative rights lawyer or anything, but the only thing they may be able to do is make a kerfuffle about the use of someone's likeness. I don't think that applies since it isn't damaging or insulting in any way and all of the products are based on stills from the film, making them arguably public figures. It's one thing if you want to make a t-shirt with a picture of Bruce Willis with the word "RAPIST" over his head, but that's not exactly what's going on.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 17, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Well, he has the the likeness rights from The Master, I thought. He's giving the money from the shirts to them. If Mr. Warren wants to cause a stink, the only ground he might possibly have is the Torgo shirts, and even then, the film is in Public Domain so, it really doesn't have an footing.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

dihaploidy posted:

Joe Neal Warren:

Is this guy serious?

Ever since the Rifftrax Live show, the director's son has been harassing anyone that he thinks might be intimidated into giving him some money. This includes myself, the creator of the iPhone game, the city of El Paso (for exhibiting the film), Jackey Neyman-Jones and Tom Neyman (because he wants a cut of their benefit shirt). So far, as there's no proof that what he's saying has any basis in fact, he's had no success.

Why now, all of a sudden? His business partner has made him some big promises lately- for instance, that it's possible to take Manos out of the public domain after 46 years in spite of many, many decades of legal precedent saying otherwise. I've dealt with his business partner before: he likes to use the pseudonym "Rupert Munch", and it seems like Joe believes anything he says.

After the way they've been threatening Jackey and Tom, I don't think these two can pretend to be looking out for the cast's best interests as they have in the past. As far as I'm concerned, Tom and Jackey have the right to put their own likenesses on merchandise and that's the way it'll stay.

In a totally coincidental note, we're now working on a shirt featuring Debbie walking her hell-hound. I'm sure it'll be both heartwarming and badass, and I don't need to tell you where the proceeds are going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ben Solo posted:

Ever since the Rifftrax Live show, the director's son has been harassing anyone that he thinks might be intimidated into giving him some money. This includes myself, the creator of the iPhone game, the city of El Paso (for exhibiting the film), Jackey Neyman-Jones and Tom Neyman (because he wants a cut of their benefit shirt). So far, as there's no proof that what he's saying has any basis in fact, he's had no success.

Why now, all of a sudden? His business partner has made him some big promises lately- for instance, that it's possible to take Manos out of the public domain after 46 years in spite of many, many decades of legal precedent saying otherwise. I've dealt with his business partner before: he likes to use the pseudonym "Rupert Munch", and it seems like Joe believes anything he says.

After the way they've been threatening Jackey and Tom, I don't think these two can pretend to be looking out for the cast's best interests as they have in the past. As far as I'm concerned, Tom and Jackey have the right to put their own likenesses on merchandise and that's the way it'll stay.

In a totally coincidental note, we're now working on a shirt featuring Debbie walking her hell-hound. I'm sure it'll be both heartwarming and badass, and I don't need to tell you where the proceeds are going.

What a dick. I'm waiting for my Master t-shirt now and am definitely interested in a Master painting/print. Your new t-short sounds cool, too.

I wonder if Munch's middle name is "Butt"? :v:

• Locked thread