Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

triplexpac posted:

Physically or mentally? Or both?

I don't think he's all that mentally deranged, he can just get his head in a place where he can cut intense promos.

Everyone who gets into the wrestling industry is a bit crazy though, and he's no different in that respect.
I should have specified: The physical damage he's taken (especially to his brain tissue) over the course of his career. Foley is pretty amazing for promos where he's staying in character but saying things that are true of himself, and I just watched that Cactus Jack promo where he says he was late to the show because he forgot his way to the arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Oh yeah I'm sure he has some brain issues by this point. Beyond that, his knees are shot and at one point I heard he couldn't even bend down to tie his own shoes.

Like, in 1999 he was pretty much done which is why he was teaming with Rock and not doing too much. But then he kept on going... and going... and now he's pretty broken down.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Hard to speculate, seeing as how odd the human brain is in responce to concussions, but I would have to imagine he's not firing on all cylinders. The memory loss thing is pretty scary.

And I was recently watching some of his work with The Rock and my God, the poor bastard looks to be in agony doing their double people's elbow spot.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Glamorama26 posted:

Also, on that Orton thing, do you guys want to just start a smeer campaign against workers you don't like with me? Because I heard the Miz burns down churches.

I guess I like Miz now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Glamorama26 posted:

Hard to speculate, seeing as how odd the human brain is in responce to concussions, but I would have to imagine he's not firing on all cylinders. The memory loss thing is pretty scary.

And I was recently watching some of his work with The Rock and my God, the poor bastard looks to be in agony doing their double people's elbow spot.

That is the reason why that quitter Nigel stopped wrestling. He could not remember huge chunks of his life so he quit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh, yeah, Mick's body is hosed by this point. The Wife Swap episode he done basically outlines that his life is run by Colette, because he can't do much physically any more.

I'd still sit in his lounge like :allears: and listen to ALL of his stories.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Like, in 1999 he was pretty much done which is why he was teaming with Rock and not doing too much. But then he kept on going... and going... and now he's pretty broken down.

Yeah as much as I loved his work with Orton and Edge and stuff, I wish he had hung it up in '99 permanently for his own sake.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

bobkatt013 posted:

That is the reason why that quitter Nigel stopped wrestling. He could not remember huge chunks of his life so he quit.

Yeah, at least he had the sense to call it good. Was it ever confirmed if that was why he couldn't pass his physical? I wonder if he woulda kept going if he was able to work in the E.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

VogeGandire posted:

Oh, yeah, Mick's body is hosed by this point. The Wife Swap episode he done basically outlines that his life is run by Colette, because he can't do much physically any more.

My God he's the FDR of pro wrestling.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Glamorama26 posted:

Yeah, at least he had the sense to call it good. Was it ever confirmed if that was why he couldn't pass his physical? I wonder if he woulda kept going if he was able to work in the E.

No but it is the one that makes the most sense. We will find everything out in his pity me dvd, which I have no buyers remorse about donating to.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 18, 2012

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

gently caress off.

Edit: woah deja vu

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 18, 2012

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Glamorama26 posted:

Also, on that Orton thing, do you guys want to just start a smeer campaign against workers you don't like with me? Because I heard the Miz burns down churches.

I kind of doubt that since burning something implies Miz is actually able to get heat.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Does anyone remember a match, probably a hardcore/falls count anywhere match from Attitude era RAW, where a guy gets pinned with a forklift?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Meat Recital posted:

Does anyone remember a match, probably a hardcore/falls count anywhere match from Attitude era RAW, where a guy gets pinned with a forklift?

Rock got pinned by Foley IIRC correctly and it had a REALLY jarring shot from the pallete he was crushin him with's point of view with some terrible Rock acting.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Paulocaust posted:

Rock got pinned by Foley IIRC correctly and it had a REALLY jarring shot from the pallete he was crushin him with's point of view with some terrible Rock acting.

This was from Halftime HEAT during the Super Bowl. Other great moments from this match include Rock throwing salsa in Foley's face and then tasting it and saying "That was mild you big baby!"

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Was that the only time? I thought I remembered some huge guy, Big Show or Viscera or something, getting pinned by a much smaller man.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

What do you guys think is the best hyped new match type? Ignore the match quality, just think about before the first time you saw one, did they succeed in hyping you up. Personally, even though it was bad, my favorite may be the Punjabi Prison. JBL completely sold me on this with it being this lurking specter that was whispered about by all the old hands when he was wrestling in Asia and Europe. Seriously, he made it sound like you would surely die if you even saw one.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Meat Recital posted:

Was that the only time? I thought I remembered some huge guy, Big Show or Viscera or something, getting pinned by a much smaller man.

Big Show got pinned with some stage stuff by Shane McMahon at some point in 2000.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

What do you guys think is the best hyped new match type? Ignore the match quality, just think about before the first time you saw one, did they succeed in hyping you up. Personally, even though it was bad, my favorite may be the Punjabi Prison. JBL completely sold me on this with it being this lurking specter that was whispered about by all the old hands when he was wrestling in Asia and Europe. Seriously, he made it sound like you would surely die if you even saw one.

I was hyped as gently caress for the debut of the elimination chamber and drat did it deliver

MILES OF CHAIN, THOUSANDS OF POUNDS OF METAL, A STEEL HELL.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America

Oatgan posted:

I was hyped as gently caress for the debut of the elimination chamber and drat did it deliver

MILES OF CHAIN, THOUSANDS OF POUNDS OF METAL, A STEEL HELL.

I heard HHH was pushing hard for WarGames that Survivor Series, but Vince refused because it was an NWA idea. I really wish HHH had won that argument. The first elimination chamber was entertaining, but the rest that I've seen have been less than entertaining.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

tengohemroidz posted:

I heard HHH was pushing hard for WarGames that Survivor Series, but Vince refused because it was an NWA idea. I really wish HHH had won that argument. The first elimination chamber was entertaining, but the rest that I've seen have been less than entertaining.

Um I'd say the average EC match has been about 4 stars.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America

Hirams Bitch posted:

Jesus...really? The Summerslam 03 with Goldberg was good, but I didn't think 4 stars.

So you're saying I should get that Elimination Chamber dvd and watch it?

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

tengohemroidz posted:

Jesus...really? The Summerslam 03 with Goldberg was good, but I didn't think 4 stars.

So you're saying I should get that Elimination Chamber dvd and watch it?

Probably - seems like every year at the EC PPV both matches are in the 4 star area.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Hirams Bitch posted:

You are posting on the wrong account Matlock

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There were a couple of lame ECs in the middle of last decade, but the last bad one I can think of is the 06 match that Edge cashed in after.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

There were a couple of lame ECs in the middle of last decade, but the last bad one I can think of is the 06 match that Edge cashed in after.

You forgot Bobby Lashley going over instead of CM Punk.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

projecthalaxy posted:

What do you guys think is the best hyped new match type?

Elimination Chamber is a good one, and I'd probably also say Hell in a Cell.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Frot Lesnar posted:

You forgot Bobby Lashley going over instead of CM Punk.

We don't talk about the Extreme Elimination Chamber.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Elimination Chambers have been pretty good

Just forget the Extreme one, and they have a perfect history of pretty good matches.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I was so excited for December to Dismember. :smith:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So JR being kind of poo poo on commentary got me thinking that a big reason why was because it was a three man booth. I guess the way I see it a three man booth is ultimately pointless because you have the play-by-play, the color and then a third guy to... I dunno, sit there and chime in with something every so often? Cole had play-by-play, JBL had color so that kind of left JR to play third wheel.

So my question is, is there a point to three man booths as opposed to a two man booth and if so what are some great three man booths?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Suben posted:

So JR being kind of poo poo on commentary got me thinking that a big reason why was because it was a three man booth. I guess the way I see it a three man booth is ultimately pointless because you have the play-by-play, the color and then a third guy to... I dunno, sit there and chime in with something every so often? Cole had play-by-play, JBL had color so that kind of left JR to play third wheel.

So my question is, is there a point to three man booths as opposed to a two man booth and if so what are some great three man booths?

I hope you mean at the time (I didn't watch when they did those three together) because JR has never been poo poo on commentary.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Suben posted:

Vince, Savage and Piper were really entertaining. Vince with two screaming lunatics. I always liked Savage and Heenan with either Vince or JR too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Schiavone, Tenay and Zbyszko: The greatest 3-man booth in the history of 3-man booths.

THAT'LL PUT BUTTS IN THE SEAT

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Tonight he contributed nothing of relevance, stumbled over what words he did make, and threw out a bunch of non-sequitors as if he was commentary from a sports game. JR was bad tonight.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well it'll probably be back to two man next week since JBL is done now. And I'd imagine it won't be too long before Lawler is back at the rate he's recovering.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Deadpool posted:

Well it'll probably be back to two man next week since JBL is done now. And I'd imagine it won't be too long before Lawler is back at the rate he's recovering.
Yet again, he could retire. We just have to wait and see at this point.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Gonz posted:

Schiavone, Tenay and Zbyszko: The greatest 3-man booth in the history of 3-man booths.

THAT'LL PUT BUTTS IN THE SEAT

I always liked Schiavone, Brain, and Tenay. One for play-by-play, one for awesome comments, then third guy to chime in with relevant trivia or background information when appropriate.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

MassRayPer posted:

The ending of that one was John Cena rolling up Chris Masters and then Carlito to win. It might have been the other way round but the main point is that two of the last three people in there were Chris Masters and Carlito and they were put away with roll ups. Yeesh.

Also I don't know about the best but the worst three man commentator team has got to be that period when it was Coachman, Styles and Lawler. Then they had put them with the smackdown commentators so you had two commentator teams arguing during the smackdown vs raw match and it sucked a big fat dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Oatgan posted:

Tonight he contributed nothing of relevance, stumbled over what words he did make, and threw out a bunch of non-sequitors as if he was commentary from a sports game. JR was bad tonight.

JR has never seemed to do well in three-man booths. It always feels like he sits back and lets the other two have their back-and-forth while just occasionally throwing out a comment.