Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you want to be REALLY evil in this game, feed Frampt dozens of Dung Pies. Make him literally eat poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah check around firelink. He's just the nicest guy too.

Major persecution complex, though. Setting him on fire causes him to accuse you of being bigoted against his fire-setting magic.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I made him go Hollow :smith:

He outlived his usefulness :unsmigghh:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I didn't know he would go hollow. I thought he'd just find his master and be happy :smith:

Splash Damage posted:

If you want to be REALLY evil in this game, feed Frampt dozens of Dung Pies. Make him literally eat poo poo.

I don't know what you're talking about, he loves it!

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I don't know if it's just me but my connectivity suddenly isn't poo poo, been summoned almost constantly in the Depths/Blightown for the last couple of hours. Cue numerous embarrassing deaths as I forget how to play the game.

With the exception of the last one, everybody who's summoned me tonight has been using the Drake Sword and Knight shield. Newbie surge!

The last person who summoned me was the best though, they had a Sunbro with them dressed in Dusk's gear, wielding Ricard's rapier, who spent the jog to Quelaag one-shotting everything and showing off, only to immediately die to her AOE once the real fight started.

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, he loves it!

He's such a weirdo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I...I just died to pinwheel...twice :negative:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Internet Kraken posted:

I...I just died to pinwheel...twice :negative:

*shuns you*

Ya its happned to me too.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

The Doomhammer posted:

I don't know if it's just me but my connectivity suddenly isn't poo poo, been summoned almost constantly in the Depths/Blightown for the last couple of hours. Cue numerous embarrassing deaths as I forget how to play the game.

With the exception of the last one, everybody who's summoned me tonight has been using the Drake Sword and Knight shield. Newbie surge!

The last person who summoned me was the best though, they had a Sunbro with them dressed in Dusk's gear, wielding Ricard's rapier, who spent the jog to Quelaag one-shotting everything and showing off, only to immediately die to her AOE once the real fight started.

Good timing on traffic + lack of darkwraithes in the zone I guess? But yeah getting summoned is really dependent on getting into good lobbies and having good traffic in the zone. I like to upvote messages everywhere so people run around with more humanity in hopes of getting summoned :unsmith:.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I spent a while telling a friend about how easy pinwheel is and how the fight was a joke. 15 seconds in he eats 5 fireballs at once and dies.

Dark Souls has a strange sense of humor.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have to say I'm not feeling so good about bows. Buying ammo doesn't really bother me, it's just that I feel like I could be way better using melee/sorcery. Maybe that will change when I get the dragonslayer greatbow and avelyn. Right now all I have is a piddly short bow.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Pinwheel's kind of a mini-Four Kings in that you have to damage race him before he spawns a shitton of clones who will destroy you with fireballs. Luckily he has no hp at all.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

I have to say I'm not feeling so good about bows. Buying ammo doesn't really bother me, it's just that I feel like I could be way better using melee/sorcery. Maybe that will change when I get the dragonslayer greatbow and avelyn. Right now all I have is a piddly short bow.
Hey now, the Mongols conquered a huge chunk of the world with short bows.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
As far as I care bows exist to pull enemies or to cheese enemies that are plain frustrating to fight.

Drakes
DRAKES
DRAAAAKES

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

tractor fanatic posted:

Pinwheel's kind of a mini-Four Kings in that you have to damage race him before he spawns a shitton of clones who will destroy you with fireballs. Luckily he has no hp at all.

I managed to get him to do that move on me when I ran down to fight him in the newbie gimmick, first time I'd ever seen it.

It turns out, if you just play attention to which one's the real one and generally try to stay anywhere other than in front of him, the circle just appears in the center and they harmlessly circlejerk while you impotently slash at the back of the real one.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
It's kind of sad in a cute way when you get summoned by someone who doesn't know the deal with Seath's fight and is fighting him for the first time.
I stood around by the crystal, beckoning him for a bit while he pounded away ineffectually at Seath. I took pity on him and smashed it in the end, but I don't think he learned anything!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Shanty posted:

It's kind of sad in a cute way when you get summoned by someone who doesn't know the deal with Seath's fight and is fighting him for the first time.
I stood around by the crystal, beckoning him for a bit while he pounded away ineffectually at Seath. I took pity on him and smashed it in the end, but I don't think he learned anything!

All you did was make NG+ that much more fun for him.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Miijhal posted:

Major persecution complex, though. Setting him on fire causes him to accuse you of being bigoted against his fire-setting magic.

Is it really a persecution complex if you are literally actively setting him on fire?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Is it really a persecution complex if you are literally actively setting him on fire?

Yeah, it is. He should just shrug and roll off a cliff. :colbert:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Mzbundifund posted:

Well you're clearly not bigoted against it if you're using it to light up his ratty robes.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

This thread is hard to keep up with, but if it wasn't mentioned yet, there's a UI up for DSfix (pardon the reddit link):
http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSoulsMods/comments/zutup/dsfixui_for_v13/
I'm at work so I haven't tried it out yet.

The guy who made the best mouse fix that works in concurrence with DSfix is going to have a UI for his upcoming release, too. Highly recommend both these things.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's no reason to go kill Pinwheel before you need to fight Nito, right? Unless you really want the Mask of the Child, I guess.

Does anyone actually wear Mask of the Child? I've used it on my NG+ melee character(not far in yet, just up to Blighttown) and it seems kinda nice considering it weighs nearly nothing and lets me hit dudes with my sword slightly more often. I'm wearing Gold-Hemmed right now, though.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

There's no reason to go kill Pinwheel before you need to fight Nito, right? Unless you really want the Mask of the Child, I guess.

Does anyone actually wear Mask of the Child? I've used it on my NG+ melee character(not far in yet, just up to Blighttown) and it seems kinda nice considering it weighs nearly nothing and lets me hit dudes with my sword slightly more often. I'm wearing Gold-Hemmed right now, though.
If you want to kindle past 10 flasks then you can kill Pinwheel early.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Child Mask looks super creepy and people who see you use it will pull out every trick in the book to murder you

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

tractor fanatic posted:

Child Mask looks super creepy and people who see you use it will pull out every trick in the book to murder you

Joke's on them I get one shot in half a second by literally everyone in PVP whether they're using special tricks or not

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

tractor fanatic posted:

The Masks are pretty much the reverse of the Drake Sword/Knight Shield in that anyone who wears them clearly knows what they are doing and are probably huge cocksmokes.

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010

Miijhal posted:

As far as I can tell, the Catacombs are basically meant to be done before Quelaag. If you go there fairly early in the game, Patches is by one of the bridge switches and will be his usual walloping dickhole self.

I did the catacombs right after ringing the first bell because I didn't know the lower burg existed.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

poptart_fairy posted:

e2; oh god oh god oh god the fire shrine girl was murdered, why did I trust a guy who laughs like that. And goddamn the flavour text on the dingy skirt is creepy.

Well, are you going to solve that problem? Or are you going to be a bitch?

THE GUILTY PAY THE PRICE.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 18, 2012

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Alabaster White posted:

The Masks are pretty much the reverse of the Drake Sword/Knight Shield in that anyone who wears them clearly knows what they are doing and are probably huge cocksmokes.

On the other hand, I ran into a pair of dudes co-oping Seath in the derpiest looking combinations of Giant's armor and masks and they were the best thing ever. Looked like a pair of Muscle March escapees or something.

e: just had a great encounter in the archives, some dude summons me for Seath and is apparently trying to get a second summon, so I go out to kick over some astrolabes (as you do). Not five steps from the bonfire I spot a loving vagrant toddling around on top of the bookshelf on the left. Goofiest little motherfucker I ever saw. I get the host's attention with some Point Upwarding and we run around a bit looking at it. Eventually it trips off the edge and we gleefully murder it, but while the host is celebrating, he gets pegged with an arrow from that little crystal gently caress on the right bookshelf and dies :v:

Shanty fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 18, 2012

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thanks to low SL coop with Analogi I managed to get the Soul of Manus at SL 14 and switched it over to a new sorc toon. Pursuers at SL20 :getin:

Now If Dark Souls only had a mana bar...

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Speaking of noobs with Drake Swords, when the hell do I get an upgrade for this thing? I tried +5ing various weapons but even with str factored in they're still worse. It seemed to fall of really quickly too so being unable to get an upgrade sucks. I want to effortlessly 3 shot things again :(

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

THE PWNER posted:

Speaking of noobs with Drake Swords, when the hell do I get an upgrade for this thing? I tried +5ing various weapons but even with str factored in they're still worse. It seemed to fall of really quickly too so being unable to get an upgrade sucks. I want to effortlessly 3 shot things again :(

Well, there's a dragon scale that drops in Blighttown, but otherwise you've got to farm dragon scales.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

THE PWNER posted:

Where are you in the game? I was 2-3 shotting things with the drake sword in blighttown. Sen's Fortress is pretty much the wakeup call telling you that your Drake Sword wont cut it anymore, I found.

In the Depths, there should have been a Large Ember. That lets you upgrade to +10, and is all you really need to outclass your Drake Sword. Within Sen's Fortress there's another particularly powerful non-scaling weapon as well, much more powerful than the drake sword.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Why is the Drake Sword so popul... oh, people don't wanna get sorceries.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

I've finally been able to summon someone! I helped them kill the 4 kings (absoloutely destroyed them, except the first time when our 3rd compadre, the genius, didn't wear his ring) so they returned the favour, then we went through the Catacombs together because why not.

Managed to nab myself 2 motherfucking bonewheel shields, never even had one before, didn't know they were a thing. Gave one to the guy helping and kept one for myself.

They spin! Oh the fun!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Deviant posted:

Well, are you going to solve that problem? Or are you going to be a bitch?

THE GUILTY PAY THE PRICE.

I'm not being a bitch I'm just haven't a clue where to go. :haw:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
People don't use the Kiddie Mask unless you also use a Lightning Uchigatana, Grass Crest Shield, and probably the Gold Hemmed Set sans mask.

drat thing's like part of a uniform or something.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm not being a bitch I'm just haven't a clue where to go. :haw:
Keep the black eye orb in your inventory and you'll automatically be notified when you're in the right place.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Oh, here's a question, since I've never joined the Warriors of the Sun covenant before and I enjoy being a beacon of light in an otherwise drab world, if I change covenant do I lose my gross incandescence or can I retain it?

I wanna join the Chaos Covenant for obvious reasons, but if I keep the glow then I'd go join the Darkmoons since I've missed my chance for Darkwraith.

Or maybe Gravelord, never been one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Balobam posted:

Oh, here's a question, since I've never joined the Warriors of the Sun covenant before and I enjoy being a beacon of light in an otherwise drab world, if I change covenant do I lose my gross incandescence or can I retain it?

I wanna join the Chaos Covenant for obvious reasons, but if I keep the glow then I'd go join the Darkmoons since I've missed my chance for Darkwraith.

Or maybe Gravelord, never been one of them.

Sunbro for 30 humanity, warp to Daughters of Chaos bonfire, join, and feed her up, warp to Sunlight Altar, rejoin.

For Darkmoons, swap between them when the mood strikes.

• Locked thread