Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TShields posted:

I love running him, but I feel like they accented his sword too much in the promotional videos and images. Unless you dive head first into the melee line, it kinda blows. I haven't played anyone else to compare damage to though, but you'd think a sword against a shirtless man would do a little bit more damage.

And you'd think a rifle round to the head should kill a guy, but guess not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You are really unlucky with weapon drops. I'm swimming in greens and I just killed that guy before going to sleep (I finish all bosses with a punch). You've been opening everything you find (especially the coffin-sized chests and outhouses), right?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Agreed posted:

Her active skill becomes ridiculously good as you start investing in it, it's practically an I WIN button. Which is fine, this game has a lot of those and they all rule.

Also, Zer0 seems like a total parody of Hiro Protagonist.

I know, phaselock is so drat amazing :allears:

Troublesome badass enemy? Lift him into the air for easy headshots and they can't fight back! Need healing? Put one or two skillpoints into sweet release and get health for kills on phaselocked enemies! Big crowd? Put a point in the black hole evolution of phaselock, hit the guy in the middle and then throw a grenade or three!

It's comforting to know that the Siren still is the strongest class in the sequel as it was in the first game

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

TShields posted:

I love running him, but I feel like they accented his sword too much in the promotional videos and images. Unless you dive head first into the melee line, it kinda blows. I haven't played anyone else to compare damage to though, but you'd think a sword against a shirtless man would do a little bit more damage.

Part of the problem is how mechanics in the game aren't well exposed. +500% damage sounds like a lot but its meaningless without knowing where the base damage is derived from. Also confusing is the fact that if Zer0 equips a weapon with +melee damage modifiers, he uses that to swing instead of his sword. It seems like a really simple question but I can't find an answer anywhere, what is his base melee damage? Is it based on character level, weapon damage, the alignment of the planets?

There's a bunch of skills on all of the characters that are like that. Siren has some thing that adds a shock to her skill, a "+5 shock damage level". Ok well what is that in terms of actual damage? The only real answer is to try it and see if its effective which is annoying considering how many different enemy types there are in the game which have different armor/resists/whatever. I'm not even trying to be a sperge about it, the game is just really lovely about transparency of its systems.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

thebushcommander posted:

It shouldn't be. The pre-order keys people get should be directly tied to the game+dlc in steam.

If you've verified the integrity and it checks out fine and you right click> go to properties and then DLC and it doesn't list anything there as being owned. You got hosed and don't have the pre-order bonus poo poo.

Sounds like someone sold you a key from a video card purchase most likely. Those seem to be the only "pre-order" type keys that didn't come with any of the bonus content.

On another note, after playing Zer0 to level 10ish and I've just arrived at the Sanctuary I can say that he's pretty squishy at times, but ultimately a bad rear end. So far I've got 2 points into Killing Blow and 2 points into Iron Hand. The only fight that's given me a problem was the boss dude when you're going to Claptrap's boat. He wasn't killing me, but it was difficult to sneak up to him invisible like and ninja slash him. Also the knock back thing kicked me off platform into no-man's land a couple times and I had to kill myself in the water.

Sadly, I am still using this green pistol as a primary weapon and the sniper rifle you get for the bullymog furs quest in the beginning. It seems unacceptable that I've not found something better yet, though I haven't opened the golden chest yet either.

To clarify, I've found pistols with some better stats like damage and such, but the one I'm using isn't far behind and it has fire damage on top of it, so it's better all around.

You're squishier in general than I'd have thought. The fight for your life thing almost makes up for it.

I didn't see my first blue until I got to sanctuary, although I did use my keys and have a bunch of purples so its not all bad.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Ammo management sucks but it's one of those necessarily evils in making you appreciate all of the weapon choices.
Absolutely this. If ammo management were roughly comparable to Blands 1, I would probably just stack element SMGs and never try out much of anything else. Sure, maybe you're swapping weapons, but you're still chewing the same ammo pool. Now that weapon proficiencies are gone, better limiting ammo was for the best. I now consciously swap up my loadout. Sometimes I'll take an assault rifle, sometimes an element SMG, sometimes repeaters, or revolvers (but rarely both, since they are really the same weapon type). I even work in a sniper rifle, and usually have an extremely high damage shotgun on my equipped weapon, and that is on top of maybe a couple additional element weapons or higher capacity shotguns that periodically get swapped in depending on what enemies seem common.

Yeah, ammo management isn't strictly fun, but it is nice to see that it actually matters. Once you could start buying ammo SDUs in BL1, ammo was almost completely irrelevant, unless you were playing coop, with everyone using the same type of guns. Even then, at higher levels, one or two players with some ammo regen would again make it irrelevant.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And you'd think a rifle round to the head should kill a guy, but guess not!

Actually, I one-shot snipe a lot of people. Psychos and unshielded Nomads mostly, but it happens. I'm going sniper on my Zero though, so that may have something to do with it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Zikan posted:

I know, phaselock is so drat amazing :allears:

Troublesome badass enemy? Lift him into the air for easy headshots and they can't fight back! Need healing? Put one or two skillpoints into sweet release and get health for kills on phaselocked enemies! Big crowd? Put a point in the black hole evolution of phaselock, hit the guy in the middle and then throw a grenade or three!

It's comforting to know that the Siren still is the strongest class in the sequel as it was in the first game

And a shitload more fun to play, since zipping around invisibly while healing was cool and all, but Phaselock keeps you in the game in pretty much the same way (or better) while being much more active. There is no loving way I'm taking the ability to turn it into a "Charm" skill instead, watching the ball zip around between enemies while making it easy to turn them into dead is just the bee's knees.

The slag-ball melee skill rules too. Sure, I'll take a basically free high-damage AOE slag-ball-lightning.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Not sure if this has been answered yet (and I really don't want to read through ~700 posts from 2 days), but is there really no way to listen to previous audio logs?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've read some posts here complaining about weak audio and gun sounds, and personally I have no clue what's up with that. I play with headphones, and the grand majority of gun sounds are really drat good, they're really crisp and especially sniper rifles sound pretty drat beefy.

The soundtrack is also awesome, Axton and his turret are awesome, holy poo poo this whole game is loving awesome can't make post longer must play game now ->

EDIT: GODDAMNIT MORDECAI stop shooting the varkid pods, I'm trying to do loving research here!

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 19, 2012

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009
How does the difference in levels affect other players in co-op?

I know the good, general practice is to have one character for single player and another for co-op, but I'm just interested in playing the one for now. How far is too far ahead when it comes to out-leveling the rest of the team (assuming one of them is hosting at a lower level than me)?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
DO IT. I'M HERE. KILL ME. DO IT NOW.

loving piece of poo poo blind bandit I swear to god. Finally managed to get his attention by just shooting my gun into the air.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

404GoonNotFound posted:

Not sure if this has been answered yet (and I really don't want to read through ~700 posts from 2 days), but is there really no way to listen to previous audio logs?

Doesn't look like it. Which makes the times when I've picked up an audio log only to be immediately interrupted with "LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE COLLECTING AUDIO LOGS!" even more stupid and irritating.

Not quite as bad as the bug in the Arena where I have to restart the game to give it another go if I die (it, like in BL1, restarts you from where you left off - but in BL2 you have to complete multiple waves to finish it. If you start on wave 3 you're stuck on 1/3 completed and have to kill yourself/quit to exit!)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I am glad they included FOV but the weapon models don't scale. :tizzy:

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Anyone else having issues with having a distant person's voice and gun fire sounding like it's right on top of you? I'm not talking about quest people on the radio- I was fighting some bandits in an instance, and they sounded like they were all over me but they were WAY across the room.

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009

Agreed posted:

And a shitload more fun to play, since zipping around invisibly while healing was cool and all, but Phaselock keeps you in the game in pretty much the same way (or better) while being much more active. There is no loving way I'm taking the ability to turn it into a "Charm" skill instead, watching the ball zip around between enemies while making it easy to turn them into dead is just the bee's knees.

The slag-ball melee skill rules too. Sure, I'll take a basically free high-damage AOE slag-ball-lightning.

As interesting as a Thoughtlock build looked, with the potential for a possibly longer CC, I don't think I could use it after seeing the current Phaselock in action.

I remember trying it out on my first boss mob, thinking to myself, "Is this going to work? I couldn't possibly be able to use this on tougher mobs". Surely enough, I lifted him up, ran under him, and shotgunned him to death.

I think I've found my class of choice.

underscoremx
Apr 4, 2011

kri kri posted:

I am glad they included FOV but the weapon models don't scale. :tizzy:

This. The hardest part about this game is that I can barely see what's in front of my gun half the time.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

slogsdon posted:

And also because sniping is just way better this time around.

So will enemies still be able to dodge your first, well-aimed shot in the timeframe between you clicking the mouse button (at which point they were immediately alerted in BL1) and the time it takes for the bullet to travel?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So I was fighting Midgemong and killed the rider but then got attacked by respawning bad dudes, so I focused on them a second. And Midge has apparently just vanished. He's marked on my map but there's nowhere in that spot he could be hiding. It's pretty open.

Did he glitch out? Do I have to restart and run this stupid gauntlet again just to get another whack at it?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burning Mustache posted:

So will enemies still be able to dodge your first, well-aimed shot in the timeframe between you clicking the mouse button (at which point they were immediately alerted in BL1) and the time it takes for the bullet to travel?

Nope

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Awesome! :I

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Nice, you can skip the launcher

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Borderlands_2#Improvements

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Anyone have any idea on what the sacrifice pit at the Shrine of Marcus is used for? You only get one pull before it turns off, I tried hucking some guns in it but apparently that's not a proper offering.

It's big enough for a person to fit in, so I'm guessing it's a Co-Op thing.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Bob NewSCART posted:

Salvadore is also really annoying to play because if you don't have ammo regen chances are you're going to be out of ammo very quickly

I haven't had ammo problems on Salvadore, once. Any time ammo gets low on the gun I'm using, I just use the next gun of a different ammo type. By the time that one gets low, I've usually gotten back to full ammo on the first one, or I just move to the next. I haven't played enough to unlock the fourth weapon SDU but I've had no problem cycling between an SMG, an assault rifle, and a revolver. The fourth slot is going to have a shotgun most likely, while I keep a sniper rifle in reserve in the inventory.

About the only way I can see Salvador being a problem on ammo, is with folks that feel married to one weapon type and should loosen up, gently caress around with other guns. Or, they're inaccurate as gently caress and spray bullets everywhere but on target.

edit: I am bearing in mind that I'm speccing in the 'Rampage' line and not dual wielding, I tend not to piss through ammo too fast. I see in the 'Gun Lust' tree there's a bonus for dual wielding two guns of the same type. On the other hand that talent tree is just loaded with perks for weapon swapping, which'd be incentive to practice spreading around the use of guns with different ammo pools.

5er fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 19, 2012

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've got an assault rifle that fires bouncy grenade bullets that explode on contact with enemies. It has a three fire burst when zoomed in, too.

Rocking that with Salvador is pretty loving fun.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Okay so, as far as I can tell, these are the payouts for the Slots:

3 Bandits: A live grenade
1 Cherry: White Gun
2 Cherries: Green Gun
3 Cherries: either a Blue Gun or a big Cash Payout
3 Moxxi Legs: Elemental Blue Gun
3 Eridium: 1 Eridium stack
3 Erdium Stacks: it sets of some purple fireworks and spews erdium everywhere, you get about 20 out of it
3 Marcus: Purple Gun
3 7`s: A class Skin:
3 Vault Hunter Symbols: Orange Gun (apparently you can get E-tech guns as well)

I`m not sure what 3 Bells gives you though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

3 Cherries has only ever given me a green gun. Also there's 3 different kinds of Eridium - 1 ingot, 2 ingots and 3 ingots.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Agreed posted:

My build probably isn't even going to use any of the final skills! It's mainly going to be focuses around crowd control and buffs when phaselock is active to me and the entire team.

http://www.bl2db.com/skill-trees#zmxVoEVxxq9Mc

Why yes, health regen, more gun damage and fire rate, more health when an enemy dies, and pulling together enemies along with ping ponging from enemy to enemy, I would love to have all of those at once!

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

3 Erdium Stacks: it sets of some purple fireworks and spews erdium everywhere, you get about 20 out of it

Going to blow some cash on that tonight. Looks like it has been pretty generous to goons in the past.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Kiggles posted:

Personally, I can't wait for end tree Survival skill. Being able to almost play the game more like a fast paced strategy, or tactical shooter will be neat, and holy poo poo, do not even get me started on max level 2x turrets, mag-lock, + Longbow from Gunpowder tree.

If you're not interested in trying to get enemies from out of cover, or do not care to flank, but still want something more than just shooting things, then check Zer0 or Maya. Deception is really neat, since the decoy can get NPCs crowded up, trying to beat it up. This actually works really well against NCPs with a prevalence toward ranged attacks (Bullymong Slinger), since it can not be knocked backward by melee, it can never be pushed out of range, keeping the AI swinging helplessly at the hologram. Maya's is neat. Not quite as good as you might think, but it does help, especially when fighting a badass, since it lets you keep garbage NPCs at bay without having to kill them which otherwise keeps them around should you drop a knee and fight for your life. It really fit more naturally alongside the shooting bits without being something as simple as "more shooting" (see: Salvador).

I'm actually just chalking it up to being early in the game. I'm really interested to see where Commando goes as I get farther in levels. I'm actually already liking the turret more than in BL1. I can't wait to get the shield for it. That should make it infinitely more useful.

TheJukku
May 4, 2012

by T. Finninho

Huh, didn't think I could get a gun like THAT at level 7. Goddamn, seriously, I've been breezing through most things with it, ammo permitting.

Fat Aggression
Aug 18, 2006

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Moxxi leg can give purples on occasion.

Anyone else really underwhelmed by Maya's cataclysm tree? I got through cloud kill and it and helios do really garbage damage.

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

This thing popped out of Moxxi's slot machines as I gambled away my life savings. First glance, it looked pretty crappy, I was tempted to sell it back to gamble some more. But then I fired it.

It shoots grenades that bounce around. I don't know if its the cannon suffix or what, but I love how guns that aren't that rare have unique attributes to them. Its fantastic.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Fat Aggression posted:

Moxxi leg can give purples on occasion.

Anyone else really underwhelmed by Maya's cataclysm tree? I got through cloud kill and it and helios do really garbage damage.

Yeah I initially was going for max cataclysm but found it really underwhelming as well. I switched over to crowd control spec with some of the healing tree thrown in there and enjoyed it much more.

Also is it just me or do elemental weapons proc much more frequently then their stated percentages imply? It feels like they proc every other shot rather then 13% or whatever their stat screen says.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Republicans posted:

The way she changes her voice reminds me of Sweetie from Tiny Toons.

Also I think she's stupid.

The voice of Captain Flynt, I could swear that's Doctor Weird from Aqua Teen.

Gamezone.com posted:

Answering fan questions on the PlayStation blog, Borderlands 2 producer Matt Charles told fans we can expect a more consistent framerate.

gently caress you Gearbox, I am running this game on exactly the same computer with Borderlands 1 installed. Comparing both back to back, I'm getting a higher framerate on Borderlands 1 with the resolution and settings cranked twice as high a BL2.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Zero VGS posted:

The voice of Captain Flynt, I could swear that's Doctor Weird from Aqua Teen.

Seriously, did the Bro Team guy do one of the psychopath voices? I can feel it.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

TheJukku posted:

Huh, didn't think I could get a gun like THAT at level 7. Goddamn, seriously, I've been breezing through most things with it, ammo permitting.

Why don't I have that gun yet. :qq:

Decepti0n so far has been crazy. I wonder if it's going to get nerfed ala early Mordecai in Borderlands 1 because I've taken out Bewm and Boom, Captain Flynt, Midgemong and his bullymong mount all in one shot. Doing 1500 damage at level 8 seems a little excessive.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Whups, I think I just noticed why BL2 is running so bad. I copied the steam folder from my work computer, but it was a 32-bit client and I'm on 64-bit at home. Does this thing have a 64-bit client? Like can anyone with 64-bit Windows alt-tab out of the game then mouse over the client?

Fake edit: Also I disabled cell shading and that made a drastic improvement vs. all the other settings.

mutagen
Dec 18, 2009

Combatace posted:

First glance, it looked pretty crappy, I was tempted to sell it back to gamble some more. But then I fired it.

I'm going to have to start test firing everything I get that looks remotely usable.

I hacked the golden keys but I'm realizing it kind of turns the skinner box model of incremental rewards inside out, none of that anticipation of getting upgrades for a while. So I'm gonna try saving my unspent keys for a bit to get a little more fun out of drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Will there be a way to access the audio files directly for PC? I'd love to run the files through some of my audio production filters since the guns sound weak as hell (and the vehicle weapons are way too loud).

• Locked thread