Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's also due to the fact that many people (including me) have trouble telling the difference. I have 20/20 vision and a 32' 1080p TV, I don't know what's running at ~true~ 720/1080p and what's just being stretched, it's not like there's an immediate tell.

60 FPS is a huge boost in visuals for me though, and it's upsetting when games don't run smoothly. I won't be getting it but recent HD trailers for NSMB:U look silky drat smooth.

I actually am the same to be honest. I'm slightly colorblind and I have never had a tv larger than around the 24~30" area so the only things I care about personally are "Mass Effect 2 you are the best game ever but why did you choose to have small red text on an orange background" and the framerate. It will never happen but if the next wave of systems overall is just a very slight improvement over what we have now but with everything running at 60FPS and with text I can clearly read I'd support it as much as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

zenintrude posted:

I'm hardly "hung up" on it, but I was curious enough to ask... as greatn pointed out, it's (potentially) the difference between having money on hand and not having money on hand for whatever may come up, which for someone who's "quite poor" I would think would be somewhat important.

It's not a big deal to me either way, but I figured I'd ask about the rationale since it didn't even cross my mind to pay more than the minimum... and I figure others would share this sentiment considering many were commenting about the fact that Wal-Mart (and maybe Best Buy as well?) charged their card the full amount from the outset.

Fair enough; hung up wasn't the proper term to really use either. It just seemed obvious to me. As I said been saving up a side amount of money for awhile so keeping it for later just didn't register for me.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

toxicsunset posted:

For what it's worth, median is a far more accurate and appropriate measure of what most people think 'average' is. Consider income. One billionaire raises the *average* income an astronomical amount, whereas the median income is a far more reflective measure of what the so called 'average' man makes. That's why for studies like these, the median is often reported - the 'average' is a silly measure. Think of it this way. The average person has less than 2 legs. The median number of legs on a person, however, is 2. Just a bit of statistics insight for you. Guess the conversation's over though. I thought this was interesting when I learned it, thought maybe someone else might.

Yeah that's absolutely correct, I just assumed since folks were throwing around "average" instead of median that they had access to something I wasn't able to find. I do statistical analyses at work all the time, which is why I'm so interested in seeing if the original studies contain stratified averages, which are far more informative than simple average or median figures. I thought it was very interesting, and if you have something I'd love to hear about it via PM.

For the WiiU though, I don't think the resolution will really be much of a selling point for me at all. At the moment I have a PS3/360 I basically never use since now I can just flop down onto my couch, hit the home button on my wireless 360 controller, and have my PC boot up Steam big picture mode and play all the games I want at native 1080p/60 fps. Performance and nice visuals have never really been Nintendo's main selling point, much less so in the current generation systems.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Yeah that's absolutely correct, I just assumed since folks were throwing around "average" instead of median that they had access to something I wasn't able to find. I do statistical analyses at work all the time, which is why I'm so interested in seeing if the original studies contain stratified averages, which are far more informative than simple average or median figures. I thought it was very interesting, and if you have something I'd love to hear about it via PM.

For the WiiU though, I don't think the resolution will really be much of a selling point for me at all. At the moment I have a PS3/360 I basically never use since now I can just flop down onto my couch, hit the home button on my wireless 360 controller, and have my PC boot up Steam big picture mode and play all the games I want at native 1080p/60 fps. Performance and nice visuals have never really been Nintendo's main selling point, much less so in the current generation systems.

I do not have PMs nor access to the actual studies. There are these, however, though outdated now:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp-pdf-files/WHP092.pdf
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp-pdf-files/WHP090.pdf

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Rake Arms posted:

*No online multiplayer. Surprise!
*Local Multiplayer:
-FPS vs RTS
-Supports Pro Controller and Wii Remote
-GamePad use is much more casual in multiplayer
*Miiverse features:
-Get real time alerts when a friend is infected, loot their zombie
-Your zombie will appear in friends' games
-Track stats; how many players your zombie has killed/infected; online leaderboards
-Leave graffiti messages for other players with signs and symbols
-Find messages from other players with your scanner

Local multiplayer, gently caress yeah! The worst thing about this current(previous?) generation of videogames is multiplayer games ditching local in favor of online.

Does all this talk about "your" zombie mean there's gonna be character customization?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

boom boom boom posted:

Local multiplayer, gently caress yeah! The worst thing about this current(previous?) generation of videogames is multiplayer games ditching local in favor of online.

Does all this talk about "your" zombie mean there's gonna be character customization?

I don't think so. There is a big emphasis on quickly restarting after death. Its one hit kills for the most part. I heard it compared to Super Meatboy with getting you back into the action. It also sounded like your in a rendom character coming back.

The 'you' thats turned into a zombie lumbers around where you died and can be killed to get your loot back. Your friends in the miiverse when playing will have your special (stronger? not sure) and you can see who it eats!

There may be custom creation or a random character button, but that character will probably die fairly quick!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Only the second person at the EB in the Devonshire Mall in Windsor to get the $299 Basic meaning I'm pretty much guaranteed one at launch.

The system they told me is that you leave them your phone number and there's no guarantee on the money down. Basically they get sent so many consoles and if they don't have enough for you at launch they don't. However, if they get five systems and you're number six, you'll receive a phone call when the sixth console is available for you.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I haven't bought a Wii.

Do you suggest me to buy a pair of Wiimote+ and Nunchucks just to play some stupid multiplayer rounds in parties on the WiiU? (In any case I'm going to get at least one anyway for skyward sword)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

limaCAT posted:

I haven't bought a Wii.

Do you suggest me to buy a pair of Wiimote+ and Nunchucks just to play some stupid multiplayer rounds in parties on the WiiU? (In any case I'm going to get at least one anyway for skyward sword)

How many people do you want to play stupid little games with you? Thats the real question. A wiimote and nunchuck combo is pretty standard per person if you want to be sure you can play everything.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Performance and nice visuals have never really been Nintendo's main selling point, much less so in the current generation systems.
To be fair, performance is something Nintendo is a stickler for usually. A lot of their Wii and Gamecube games run at 60 most of the time, and those that don't tend not to drop below 30. That's one of the reasons they tend to hold up a lot better graphically than many PS2 and Xbox1 games.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chaltab posted:

To be fair, performance is something Nintendo is a stickler for usually. A lot of their Wii and Gamecube games run at 60 most of the time, and those that don't tend not to drop below 30. That's one of the reasons they tend to hold up a lot better graphically than many PS2 and Xbox1 games.

Yeah I was going to say, most Nintendo published games on the Gamecube either run at 60FPS or are locked at 30. I feel like their developers had a better understanding of lighting at the time also, it's one of the reasons the Metroid Prime games look great even today, or how Eternal Darkness, despite the outdated character models, has some truly breathtaking scenery at times.

Wasn't there a really really old interview with John Carmack where he said the Gamecube would have had the best console version of Doom 3? Did I imagine this?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Only the second person at the EB in the Devonshire Mall in Windsor to get the $299 Basic meaning I'm pretty much guaranteed one at launch.

The system they told me is that you leave them your phone number and there's no guarantee on the money down. Basically they get sent so many consoles and if they don't have enough for you at launch they don't. However, if they get five systems and you're number six, you'll receive a phone call when the sixth console is available for you.

Yeah, this is how reservations usually work and why so many people think otherwise is mind boggling. Like Best Buy is going to go "well.... we have 50 pre-orders but only got 10 units. Guess the logical thing to do is to make all the people that pre-ordered line up every morning before 9am in hopes we get a shipment in, and then hand them out first come first serve!"

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Is it just me or does ZombiU sound more and more like Zombie Souls. Leaving messages, corpse running for loot, other players's zombies "invade" your game, the supposed difficulty and ease of death--it all sounds very Souls-like.

And that's not a bad thing at all!

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
To return to the Wii U Smash Brothers thing for a minute, but not the 'Melee was better/Brawl is too casual' stuff: what other possibilities do you think an HD console and/or the Gamepad bring to the series?

I could see, especially considering the Namco-Bandai collaboration, something like TTT2: using the Gamepad to edit and customize your brawler. Something I've wished they'd implemented years ago is a different way of handling clones. Instead of giving them huge stat adjustments and different movesets, they're essentially another form of alternate costume. You pick Mario, switch him to Doctor Mario, so he's re-textured and has slightly different stats, but isn't a stand alone character. Also, allow reskins to change the name. Instead of making a Peach texture that looks exactly like Daisy, make the game actually call her Daisy.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

FPzero posted:

Is it just me or does ZombiU sound more and more like Zombie Souls. Leaving messages, corpse running for loot, other players's zombies "invade" your game, the supposed difficulty and ease of death--it all sounds very Souls-like.

And that's not a bad thing at all!

There was an article I read yesterday that made that exact comparison in that the difficulty is soul crushigly similar to Dark Souls.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Louisgod posted:

There was an article I read yesterday that made that exact comparison in that the difficulty is soul crushigly similar to Dark Souls.

Yeah, I read an article like that too and became very excited to play it. If anyone else would like to check it out, "ZombiU hands-on: the Dark Souls of zombie games"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

boom boom boom posted:

Why the gently caress they couldn't just add both, I won't understand. Wasn't he MP going to be for 5 players, 1 controlling the zombies and 4 others running around doing objectives? 4 player split screen looks awful.

Has there been any word on if ZombiU going to be open world or linear? I'd really love it to be the former.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
edit: ^^that was weird

So is ZombiU open world or what? I know it's non-linear to some degree, but I had the impression that the safehouse hub had a level-select map, and that was how you got around. But then I read a hands-on saying the world map is just a shortcut to places you've already discovered.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I heard on a podcast one of the makers of ZombiU literally said dark souls was it's biggest influence.

It's openworld objective based. With safe houses. I don't know a lot about demon/dark souls but it sounds like hubs. But you get specific goals.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bombadilillo posted:

I heard on a podcast one of the makers of ZombiU literally said dark souls was it's biggest influence.

It's openworld objective based. With safe houses. I don't know a lot about demon/dark souls but it sounds like hubs. But you get specific goals.

Demon's Souls has a hub, Dark Souls is an open world with safe houses(bonfires). Dark Souls is the best game ever made so if Zombi U wants to out-and-out copy it that's cool with me.

quote:

You can play games entirely on the controller as long as you're close enough to the console. It also has a TV control button, which lets you use the pad as a TV remote. Up to two GamePads can be supported by the console, but Nintendo will not sell the GamePad separately until there are games that make use of this.

From the OP. Can someone link me to an official statement on this?

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 19, 2012

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

For which part?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm guessing you mean the part about dual GamePad support.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/nintendo-wii-u-gamepad-not-at-launch/

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Has there been any word on whether New Super Mario Bros. U will have online multiplayer? With New Super Mario Bros Wii Nintendo said the game was too processor intensive to allow for online, but I'd like to imagine the Wii U will miraculously be powerful enough to run a 2D side-scroller while simultaneously sending and receiving data for other players.

If New Super Mario Bros U had online I'd consider picking it up, since the only fun I had with New Super Mario Bros Wii was the one time I got to play it in person with a bunch of friends, but if it doesn't there's zero chance I'll ever bother.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nintendo hasn't said that any of their games will have anything more than Miiverse integration, but maybe they'll surprise us with a Nintendo Direct to tell us about online support.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

No, sorry I meant to bold the part I meant, which was the bit about playing a game wholly on the gamepad. I found a source, albeit unofficial, over here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/nintendo-wii-u/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Wii U has the ability to do that, but it is opt-in rather than opt-out, according to Reggie Fils-Aime in a Kotaku interview. So not everyone will do it, but some developers WILL simply because it will meet the criteria of "game must use the gamepad somehow" and developers are lazy.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

No, sorry I meant to bold the part I meant, which was the bit about playing a game wholly on the gamepad. I found a source, albeit unofficial, over here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/nintendo-wii-u/

You access this feature from within the game, not the OS, which indicates the extent you can use it varies from game to game.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Unity for the Wii U. Who here will be the first to complain about it?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/19/nintendo-forms-wii-u-partnership-for-unity-engine

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What is there to complain about? That's a long rear end article to say "game engine compatible with Wii U". It's not like all games have to use it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Unity on Wii U means more eShop titles, so it can only be a good thing.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

BovineFury posted:

Unity for the Wii U. Who here will be the first to complain about it?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/19/nintendo-forms-wii-u-partnership-for-unity-engine

I will! I'm gonna complain that I have a low amount of words to disown this decision by! This will only mean more good games on the eShop, just as the person above me said.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bombadilillo posted:

This makes me a happy person.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I guess I'll pre-order ZombiU and Assassin's Creed 3 with my sytem, and buy Mario digitally since I'll have rewards on it and can throw Nintendo a bone. I can play AC3 and Mario on screen only for when my wife wants to watch something so that's a bonus too. AC3 does have screen only play right?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

greatn posted:

AC3 does have screen only play right?

I don't think there are any known features of ACIII on Wii U yet, other than it will be pretty much the same as other versions. Given that it probably won't make much use of two screens, I would expect it to have a GamePad display mode.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I don't think there are any known features of ACIII on Wii U yet, other than it will be pretty much the same as other versions. Given that it probably won't make much use of two screens, I would expect it to have a GamePad display mdoe.

It will have weapon selection on the pad, but I figure they would let you do screen only and just pause if you need to switch weapons as per normal if you want to do it that way.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

greatn posted:

It will have weapon selection on the pad, but I figure they would let you do screen only and just pause if you need to switch weapons as per normal if you want to do it that way.

Right. I don't think any developer would pass up on gamepad display if they could avoid it, since it's such a useful feature.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Right. I don't think any developer would pass up on gamepad display if they could avoid it, since it's such a useful feature.

I thought it was built into the console so all games would be able to display on the controller?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Liku posted:

I thought it was built into the console so all games would be able to display on the controller?

It's easy to do but developers have to still plug it in. If they don't want their game to be displayed on the GamePad, it's not like it'll transfer against their will.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

AngryCaterpillar posted:

What if their game relies on two screens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Liku posted:

Why the gently caress they couldn't just add both, I won't understand. Wasn't he MP going to be for 5 players, 1 controlling the zombies and 4 others running around doing objectives? 4 player split screen looks awful.

Yes, thank you. The game has competitive multiplayer there's no excuse for no online component. gently caress.

• Locked thread